• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT23| This Train is Bound for Mercury

For the elder cipher, when it asks you to open another of the queen's chests does that mean the one that requires a treasure key or one of the smaller ones?

Also, does it have to be a chest at a certain level? PoE 35? Or any?

GhaleonEB

Damage in PVE is a mix between the attack stat and the impact one.
In PVP only impact matters.

That's convoluted yeah, and obscure as fuck considering they don't explain what these stats do in the game...

Oh man. OK so here's sort of how it works:

You can't compare stats across weapon types. A low impact Hand Cannon will still do more damage per bullet than the highest impact Auto Rifle for example. In order to determine the power/rate of fire within the same weapon class, however, the impact/RoF bars are sort of a good indicator. I say sort of because even that isn't perfect - comparing Red Death to other Pulse Rifles with different impact and looking at the attack value tells you it ain't a perfect fit. In general though it'll work.

So basically most weapon types will have different "archetypes", or variations on the same template, with some outliers to mix it up. There are low impact, high RoF Sniper Rifles (like everything being sold right now by vendors), high impact low RoF (like Black Hammer, the Iron Banner Sniper, Ice Breaker), and others who fall somewhere in between. There's high impact Auto Rifles (Suros, Vanquisher style) and pea-shooters (Atheon's Epilogue, Dr. Nope etc).

These weapons will play very differently but not be necessarily worse or better. A low impact sniper will fire more quickly, which is excellent for PvP or to chain crits in PvE. It's all a tradeoff and will ultimately come down to your preferences.

Thanks guys. Time to reassess and rebuild anew. Legendaries drop often enough that it shouldn't take too long.

PuMa

For the elder cipher, when it asks you to open another of the queen's chests does that mean the one that requires a treasure key or one of the smaller ones?

Big chest, 32 or up.

Shito

One with a key, from 32 to 35 -- only the 28 one doesn't work for this.

phen0m24

First thing I ever got from Xur was an Ice Breaker. Didn't even know who Xur was when he sold the Horn.

RNG has blessed me with 6 Horn drops tho. Really lucky there.

Oh don't remind me. Was a coin or two short and I heard about it for MONTHS from my raid team and buds.

Wow with RNG like that, you were destined to play this game.

Dude he had all the exotics week 1! He's like Neo in the Matrix.

I remember when GHorn was the first exotic I ever got (from an engram). Looked at the perks and knew I had stumbled onto something good.

BEAST MODE ACTIVATE

Namikaze1

Actually, going through my Twitter timeline, Gjallarhorn was my third exotic from an engram. I did get Hawkmoon just 2 days after launch and got Gjallarhorn about a week later. I got Monte Carlo sometime between Hawkmoon and Gjallarhorn though I never posted a pic of it on Twitter. Only know that I got it before Gjallarhorn due to other pics where I have Monte Carlo equipped.

So I pretty much ended up getting both exclusives pretty early as well as the Gjallarhorn.

A tally, going through my Twitter timeline, Gjallarhorn was my third exotic from an engram. I did get Hawkmoon just 2 days after launch and got Gjallarhorn about a week later. I got Monte Carlo sometime between Hawkmoon and Gjallarhorn though I never posted a pic of it on Twitter. Only know that I got it before Gjallarhorn due to other pics where I have Monte Carlo equipped.

My first exotic was Thunderlord from a Nightfall in the first week of release.

Loved it every since.

E92 M3

I remember when I thought I'd never have enough time or friends online at the same time to do a raid.

Hahah I remember as well saying to myself how getting 6 people together for hours to do a raid sounds crazy. Guess, ultimately, Bungie were a lot smarter than we gave them credit for. It's still hard for me to pinpoint how Destiny became such a strong new IP.

It kinda kills me to say this but I think it would be best if Thorn had its DoT removed.

It's my favourite HC by far but it kinda gives an unfair advantage. By being able to damage opponents and bail.

Maybe change the DoT for something like a shield regen or health regen. I dunno :/

Hoodbury

Thanks guys. Time to reassess and rebuild anew. Legendaries drop often enough that it shouldn't take too long.

I remember back in the Alpha when I equipped my first hand cannon and it had a much higher Impact value than the AR I was using before and every time I would hit an enemy they would do a knockback animation. I thought that was due to the impact stat and always went with high impact guns after because it was fun messing with dregs doing that. Reminded me of the old Goldeneye days.

Wasn't until a few months into the game I learned what impact really was, heh.

Ugh, I really can't enjoy the join in progress, laggy, 6v6 on anomaly, fellwinter ,super-fest that is IB after playing so much ToO. Yes, I'm a bit salty atm.

hydruxo

I think it should be said again how dumb the whole "Wait for Variks to summon you" step in the Elder Cipher bounty is. Who thought that was a good idea? I've been waiting for 4 days.

It'd be one thing if there was a timer/countdown, but it's completely random and you can't do anything but just wait. Such lazy design, they could've easily just added a step that you actually have control over. Make us go get 500 headshots in PoE, or 250 super kills. Literally anything that involves actual gameplay rather than just waiting for an undetermined amount of time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You mean the prophets? yes, yes we did
I was one of the few lucky ones. Best choice I've made.
We are a gracious and humble covenant.
Good lord. I replaced a lot of my original weapons with HoW stuff that is apparently a lot shittier. Nearly half damage. I had no idea.
Impact isn't just called "damage" because it's not a universal damage indicator across weapon classes like Attack is- it's meant to distinguish within a weapon class.

Before you get too down on yourself do try to keep in mind Impact isn't just a "better" indicator where you go for the highest you can find. While many do prefer the higher impact weapons over lower impact (especially for certain weapon classes like Auto Rifles), with any weapon there's a tradeoff in stats and a degree of preference. "Nearly half damage" isn't very likely to be accurate- remember the S in the term DPS. Lower impact weapons are almost universally able to shoot much faster than their higher impact counterparts.

edit: In other words- more important to actually try different weapons out and see which you prefer the feel of than to base your arsenal solely just on the stats themselves.

Namikaze1

The good old days...
BxsyvLrIYAA0qem.jpg:orig

Part 1
Part 2

We are a gracious and humble covenant.

Impact isn't just called "damage" because it's not a universal damage indicator across weapon classes like Attack is- it's meant to distinguish within a weapon class.

Before you get too down on yourself do try to keep in mind Impact isn't just a "better" indicator where you go for the highest you can find. While many do prefer the higher impact weapons over lower impact (especially for certain weapon classes like Auto Rifles), with any weapon there's a tradeoff in stats and a degree of preference. "Nearly half damage" isn't very likely to be accurate- remember the S in the term DPS. Lower impact weapons are almost universally able to shoot much faster than their higher impact counterparts.

Auto... Rifles? What are those? Some kind of ancient weapon of war that nobody uses anymore? Should I get one?

Thunderlord was my first exotic weapon drop....from an engram.

Gjallarhorn was my second exotic drop....also from an engram.

I don't really remember what else dropped around that time, and the leading reason for me not upgrading my Gjallarhorn for months was because I already had a Thunderlord and I loved it. Couldn't afford Gjallarhorn when it was sold. Pretty sure I got both weapons not long after.

Everyone talking about getting Ghorn from Xur early on (before I started). Was there any confirmation that he would never sell it again, or have we just been unlucky?

Personally I was more psyched when he sold Ice Breaker again (I doubled down on that purchase), but I certainly would be happy to finally land the one true rocket launcher.

Since we're getting nostalgic, the first exotic weapon I got was Pocket Infinity, which I thought was garbage until the first Iron Banner after I started came around. It was already nerfed (I think),but that weapon served me well.

zewone

Ugh, I really can't enjoy the join in progress, laggy, 6v6 on anomaly, fellwinter ,super-fest that is IB after playing so much ToO. Yes, I'm a bit salty atm.
Iron Banner has been trash and continues to be trash.

None of the rewards (save the Etheric Light some people need) is worth playing for.

Will skip for eternity.

I remember my first raid experience I was thrown straight into the Templar fight and they were cheesing from the left platform. I had no idea wtf was going on. :')

FinKL

Any advice on 32 Qodron without Gallys? Was stuck on it for 2 hours last night and called it quits after multiple 34's came to help. Me and another are 33 hunters.

Most of them said "We need to kill it within 30s or we lose". I read up on the mechanics, but others had no idea what I was talking about saying you are supposed to kill it quickly as that was what was intended. Jesus man so frustrating.

Some questions:

Left or Right side to setup camp? Had better luck on left side, but the Eye goes missing sometimes and we can't find it.

Weapon Loadouts and roles?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Auto... Rifles? What are those? Some kind of ancient weapon of war that nobody uses anymore? Should I get one?
I'm such a scrubbby useless scrub that I like the Wolfslayer's Claw. :D
Any advice on 32 Qodron without Gallys? Was stuck on it for 2 hours last night and called it quits after multiple 34's came to help. Me and another are 33 hunters.

Most of them said "We need to kill it within 30s or we lose". I read up on the mechanics, but others had no idea what I was talking about saying you are supposed to kill it quickly as that was what was intended. Jesus man so frustrating.

Some questions:

Left or Right side to setup camp? Had better luck on left side, but the Eye goes missing sometimes and we can't find it.

Weapon Loadouts and roles?
Gonna be trying it again myself soon this week but it sort of felt to me like the right side was the more defensible. Shotguns and Machine Guns for the Detain shields. Have one person focus their fire on the adds throughout. Some strategies dedicate one person to killing the eye, but I'm thinking anyone who is able to kill it should kill it and tend to the detains for the others.

Fun fact: being 33/34 has very little effect on level 32 content.

Carl

Spent all afternoon on IB and about halfway through level 2. Good fun. Not played Iron Banner in a long time.

Found a level 5 playing it earlier. Don't think he did too well...

Top Bottom