• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my biggest gripes is Deej all but confirmed nothing is changing with vault space. TTK dropping means people are def going to be making decisions on what to dismantle and what to keep.

already had to, good bye duplicates FB, VoC, and BH. you will be missed. looks like my Void LDR is next as I plan to ascend P. revenge. dismanted so many things

Feels bad man......

just dont have the space for all this shit.

Win% (of course also weighing total games) is the most important factor, but the exact formula is a secret so players don't game the system. K/D is significantly less important, as I understand it.

It's not perfect, but it's a system that manages to tell you a lot. If you see a DTR 30 player, there's a very high chance that he's good. If you see a DTR 10 player, chances are high he's average. He could be a star with bad luck in matchmaking, but a single pro can turn the tides aggressively - see ToO carries for confirmation. I'd wager Skirmish is a good place to play with randoms if you're high skilled. Control probably the worst since a team messing up spawns and capping the wrong points or not capping when they should can cost you the match no matter how well you play.

I can't figure out how the DTR ratings work.

I consider myself an above average player. I have like an 70-80% win rate, and a 1.6 K/D or something.

Yet all my DTR ranks are less than 20. Most of them less than 15.

Trakan

As long as Vendors keep shaders, ships, and class items as part of their regular inventory, I'm okay with this.

I love that Petra and Variks have the inventory that they do. It lets me know I can come back and pick that up whenever I feel like it.

This is a terrible solution. I'm not going to go and drop 17,500 glimmer on that ship again later on.

Deku Tree

I don't think wins comes into play very much.

I remember during the February Iron Banner, I had something like 27 "On the Bright Side" medals out of 32 games.

I would think if my losses actually mattered, I would have eventually been paired against lower skilled players. As it was, nothing seems to change with my opponents over the course of the event.

Win percentage and total games played absolutely is probably the biggest factor in your True Skill ranking IMO. The more games you play and the more wins you have the higher your TrueSkill. All the players at the top of the ToO are among the people who win the most and have the most games played. Players with 300 games played and 99% win percentages and large K/d's are much lower in the ToO rankings than players with 1000+ games played and 97% win percentages and much lower k/d's.

Also I know you think that there is some hidden skill based matchmaking but I don't believe it at all. Your medals etc have nothing to do with who you get matched with IMO. Matchmaking is just random, or in ToO it is based upon connection, or in the vanilla Elimination mode (when it is around) it is based upon skill as Bungie made it clear.

already had to, good bye duplicates FB, VoC, and BH. you will be missed. looks like my Void LDR is next as I plan to ascend P. revenge. dismanted so many things

Feels bad man......

just dont have the space for all this shit.

I will never dismantle my fatebringer dupes. I'll stop playing before I do that!

So many games, AC and COD are not on my list, but the rest i will have a problem of choosing what i want to play more and how much time i have, for example i decided not to get MGS5 which i have been waiting for like crazy, during release date i will be away on holiday and just back for tTK, so MGS will be purchased after the honeymoon phase. Way to many games this holiday season.

I get AC for my fiancee, she loves the series and CoD is a must have for me. Just mindless shooting.

Smart idea holding off on MGS5 if you will be away. Moment tTK drop I know I will be obsessed with it, if I haven't beaten MGS5 by then I probably won't beat it until Christmas.

I'm glad I have the Best Buy gamer club stuff, I'll basically get enough credit to buy a $60 game for free.

Win percentage and total games played absolutely is probably the biggest factor in your True Skill ranking IMO. The more games you play and the more wins you have the higher your TrueSkill. All the players at the top of the ToO are among the people who win the most and have the most games played. Players with 300 games played and 99% win percentages and large K/d's are much lower in the ToO rankings than players with 1000+ games played and 97% win percentages and much lower k/d's.

Also I know you think that there is some hidden skill based matchmaking but I don't believe it at all. Your medals etc have nothing to do with who you get matched with IMO. Matchmaking is just random, or in ToO it is based upon connection, or in the vanilla Elimination mode (when it is around) it is based upon skill as Bungie made it clear.

Medals, no.

But Bungie created a "combat skill rating" for a reason. I mean, I guess it could be a placebo, but that seems very odd.

ocean

Banned
I can't figure out how the DTR ratings work.

I consider myself an above average player. I have like an 70-80% win rate, and a 1.6 K/D or something.

Yet all my DTR ranks are less than 20. Most of them less than 15.
It's a mysterious ranking that's for sure. You might want to look for players in your DTR range and compare your stats. Like, check what the difference is between you and a DTR 20 player is. I suspect total played games is a heavy part of the weighing. Some people really play several hours of PvP a day and have done so since launch. Your K/D and win% are certainly above average. It might be a case of total games? Just speculating here.

Lnkn52

Hey DGAF any other games that should be on my radar for this fall?

Autum 2015 Games to Buy:
1 Metal Gear Solid V (9/1)
2 Destiny's The Taken King (9/15)
3 Assassin's Creed Syndicate (10/23)
4 Halo 5 [pre-ordered] (10/27)
5 Call of Duty Black Ops 3 (11/06)
6 Fallout 4 (11/10)
7 Star Wars Battlefront (11/17)

Add NFS, game looks great.

It's a mysterious ranking that's for sure. You might want to look for players in your DTR range and compare your stats. Like, check what the difference is between you and a DTR 20 player is. I suspect total played games is a heavy part of the weighing. Some people really play several hours of PvP a day and have done so since launch. Your K/D and win% are certainly above average. It might be a case of total games? Just speculating here.

Even that seems weird though:

Games #1994 Top 2% #16602 1344

I'm in the top 2% for games played.

I don't know. I'm not trying to argue with you or anything about it. I'm just having a hard time finding the logic. Which I guess is a good thing because if I could see it, so could other people, and then it would just be exploited and min/maxed to death.

Rubenov

That didn't show which is better...

There is no way to tell which plataform has the best players

Yes it does, according to dtr's own metrics. It does not mean one is better than the other, just that Xboners rank higher on that particular measurement system.

Hey DGAF any other games that should be on my radar for this fall?

Autum 2015 Games to Buy:
1 Metal Gear Solid V (9/1)
2 Destiny's The Taken King (9/15)
3 Assassin's Creed Syndicate (10/23)
4 Halo 5 [pre-ordered] (10/27)
5 Call of Duty Black Ops 3 (11/06)
6 Fallout 4 (11/10)
7 Star Wars Battlefront (11/17)

Persona 5
Rise of the Tomb raider
Uncharted Collection
Godzilla
Mad Max
Dragon Quest Heroes
Rainbow Six Siege
Tales of Zestiria
Just Cause 3
Ratcher & Clank

Here's some more to look out for I suppose.

At first everyone thought that class items were an aesthetic thing, so it wasn't a big deal we would miss out on them. Now they seem to be pretty important.

The reason we're getting screwed is because the only way to obtain them (them = the exotic class items) is to buy the collector's edition of the game, which comes with the game + all the dlc and is $80.

Yup. This is some horse shit, Bungie. Come on.

Can we just have a Digital Collector's Edition that is ONLY the Expansion and bonus stuff? Why do we have to re-buy the game and DLC 1&2, makes no sense at all.

ocean

Banned
What makes you say that? I didn't hear anyone say anything to indicate anything like that either way.

That would suck. Don't make the same mistake again, Bungie!

I'll still use fatebringer tho. Suck it bungie.
Extremely poor wording from me. There has been no indication for anything of the sort.

I meant I don't think we'll be able to carry Legendaries over. The Year 1 terminology of Etheric Light seems like a hint for that. Also, with the radical changes coming in - base level increase, new weapon classes, new perks, class items giving perks, artifacts, elemental defense buffs on armor - it really seems like things are changing enough for us to wave the old goodbye. Like I'll never dismantle Fatebringer but I don't expect it to reach Year 2 attack or light or whatever it ends up being.

What makes you say that? I didn't hear anyone say anything to indicate anything like that either way.

Etheric light makes the Distinction of "Year 1" legendaries. And DeeJ's comments about not being married to your guns.

That said, I think they under-estimated how attached we can get to certain guns. And now they've already given us a taste for upgrading gear, it'll be heard to take it away.

I wonder if they'll do by Year. All Year 1 Legendaries can be kept at max level for Year 1 (as is now). All Year 2 Legendaries can be kept at max level throughout Year 2.

ocean

Banned
Even that seems weird though:

Games #1994 Top 2% #16602 1344

I'm in the top 2% for games played.

I don't know. I'm not trying to argue with you or anything about it. I'm just having a hard time finding the logic. Which I guess is a good thing because if I could see it, so could other people, and then it would just be exploited and min/maxed to death.
Percentile is not enough information. We don't know what the variance here is. Like maybe gamers in the 1% have played 10x more games than their close cousins the 2%ers. I don't know, just throwing stuff out there but I have a strong suspicion it's a total games thing. Check out some other guys and compare. If you figure out some trend or pattern let us know too

ocean

Banned
What do you mean with remixing old strikes?
IGN stream. Don't know if Deej was being poetic or literal but he said old strikes would be remixed to fit the new changes in the game world. Lord knows what that means, could be Hive ships in the skybox or modified enemy spawns, no telling without further info.

Lnkn52

Did NFS get a release date? Yo the driving trailer looked crazy. I don't think my eyes could keep up. Are there anymore gameplay footage?

Nov 3:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/need-for-speed-s-e3-2015-reboot-does-not-disappoin/1100-6428236/

Oh I know Luke is. I was talking about maybe the guy who mentioned NeoGAF is a Gaffer, as well. I got to play with Luke once and that was really awesome. Great guy

stealth edit: rofl! I didn't see that post of his. Awesome!

You played with Luke?! Can I touch your hands?

MechDX

Good to know it wasn't just me. I'm working from home and wanted to knock a few bounties out this morning without any luck.

Its my fault. Finished up a weekly VoG run last night, got my 2nd Gjallarhorn as a final reward and then the game booted everyone.

Yesterday was crazy. Played Crota's End for the first time and then did Prison of Elders 35 for the first time. The former was a lot of fun. I particularly liked the bridge part and all the coordination that involved. Got Black Hammer out of it too and I didn't even know how awesome it was! The latter was kinda brutal. We wiped several times on the way to the boss and it made me want to give up several times, but we pushed on to Skolas. We struggled with him. On our third try we managed an unbelievable rally as we moved as a group around the perimeter of the map, passing the rebuff around and picking off adds until we could hit the boss undisturbed. Got him to about 25% health and then we tripped up. One friend got caught out, one tripped on the geometry, and I got overwhelmed as the last guardian standing. Hurt pretty hard. We lost our momentum, our groove, and our confidence. Tried a couple more times but couldn't get past 50% of his health again. Spent 3 and a half ours on him, it was late, so we called it quits and went to orbit defeated. I know they recently tweaked the Skolas fight so I don't know if there's a clear cut strategy anymore, but I'd certainly appreciate you guys' advice!

raindoc

Got my Elder Cipher back, need to kill bosses. Anyone looking for somebody to do a 32 or 34 PoE send me an invite:
PSN: raindoc

PuMa

16 bounties, and look at all that quest space!!??

hJPZNlb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom