• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

rNilla

|OT♦3X| Don't Get Tooken

jGg1WGt.gif

phen0m24

This is how everything gets nerfed.
My idea is to counter it with a class item. And only the poison effects. The projectiles will still hurt and do big damage.

But since everyone uses it (Thorn), imagine the gold rush of people trying to get that stupid butt towel with Immunity! People would be talking about class items in a non-derogatory way lol. :)

OkayRene

Thorn's DOT is sooooo overpowered. In addition to damage over time:

• Thorn's DOT messes with your vision
  • Thorn's DOT messes with your hearing.
  • Thorn's DOT highlights you to every other enemy.
Ulgh. I hate it. Let it just sap my health. I'm sick of it adding green shit on my screen and hissing. Iron Banner mode is essentially Thorn HUD mode.

We've already seen a new armor perk that can absorb extra Void damage. I wonder if they create an armor perk with some kind of Thorn DOT resistance.

Interesting. Deej seemed to imply the Dark Below stuff is open to Xbox on 9.15 too.

When discussing the exclusives (paraphrasing), he's all "Everything will be open to all players" (never said the dreaded x-word of course) "BUT there will be exclusive stuff for Taken King, and then the cycle starts over again."

STRONGLY implying that was the only exclusive stuff.

I guess it makes sense, since they're advertising the PS4 Legendary Edition as only containing the Taken King exclusive material, not the exclusive I and II stuff.

We shall see.

It seems that we had year 1 PS exclusives and now we'll have year 2 PS exclusives. So even though we just got Timekeeper as a PS exclusive, it'll still be available to xbox players on 9-15

Lee

I didn't purchase the launch Collector's Edition and am tempted by the Gamestop Exclusive (sigh) Collector's Edition for the Taken King. Does anyone have any experience pre-ordering on-line for new releases? Is there free release day shipping like on Amazon? Thanks.

No release day shipping. They drop-ship items so you may get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it. I would do it in store, if you're able. I imagine they'll do a midnight release for this.

phen0m24

We've already seen a new armor perk that can absorb extra Void damage. I wonder if they create an armor perk with some kind of Thorn DOT resistance.
Rene scroll up. They are adding attributes to class items. Titan Towels, Warlock bonds, Hunter shower curtains, whatever. ;)

Make one called Immunity that blocks DoT.

Gold rush.

Profit.

:)

Lee

It seems that we had year 1 PS exclusives and now we'll have year 2 PS exclusives. So even though we just got Timekeeper as a PS exclusive, it'll still be available to xbox players on 9-15

It looks like that was the plan from release:

"House of Wolves hits PS4 and PS3 on May 19th, and includes a competitive map called Timekeeper that’s exclusive to PlayStation players until at least Fall 2015."

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/05/06/destiny-house-of-wolves-prison-of-elders-details/

Hyun Sai

Ok, after more shotgun testing, I must say the full auto perk is the most useful PVE wise.

The doubled rate of fire (even when we don't hold the trigger) is much more efficient and life saver than anything else.

noomi

Ok, after more shotgun testing, I must say the full auto perk is the most useful PVE wise.

The doubled rate of fire (even when we don't hold the trigger) is much more efficient and life saver than anything else.

It's great for PvE but not too bad for crucible either. Typically you want shot package for pvp, but full auto is pretty damn good as well.

My idea is to counter it with a class item. And only the poison effects. The projectiles will still hurt and do big damage.

But since everyone uses it (Thorn), imagine the gold rush of people trying to get that stupid butt towel with Immunity! People would be talking about class items in a non-derogatory way lol. :)

I'd prefer something like giving the player the ability to get rid of the effect by doing something physical/defenisve.

Maybe something like being immobile/crouching will pause the effect, and if you remain immobile for 4 seconds the effect goes away completely. You could still fire back while crouched/immobile but you couldn't stand or move in a lateral direction.

Lee

Ugh. Dreg's Promise sucks so much.

Because there is no "Dreg's Promise."

"Dregs cling to the lowest rung of Fallen society. Docked of their lower arms in a ritual of humiliation and obedience, Dregs seek to prove their worth. Only a few will survive to gain promotion and regrow their limbs. Their suicidal bravery is fueled by ambition and shame."

The "promise" of promotion and regrowing their limbs is a bigger lie than Felwinter's. It's like the "Proletariat's Promise" of upward mobility in America.

Kyne

CHrloufUcAEoJ2g.png

And just like that veterans being screwed out of exotic class items for not purchasing the collector's edition (which would be buying the game + all dlc over again) seems so much worse.

zewone

Thorn can get annoying just like hearing PEWPEWPEW from Suros was for many months.

It can be outclassed by legendary Scouts and Pulse rifles though.

Try changing your playstyle.

Lee

CHrloufUcAEoJ2g.png

And just like that veterans being screwed out of exotic class items for not purchasing the collector's edition (which would be buying the game + all dlc over again) seems so much worse.

Yeah, that's not one of the exotic class items we're being screwed out of. That's a new dead orbit legendary class item. Looks like there is no reason to stress; new class items, legendary and otherwise in the case of potential other new exotics, will have different XP boosts.

We're not missing anything with the exotic ones, and I bet they: (a) preclude you from wearing other exotic armor (b) only offer an XP boost towards your light level gains, from 1-30, aimed at catching new players up.

ocean

Banned
CHrloufUcAEoJ2g.png

Quite the contrary. Since class items have specific perks now, we'll be changing them out regularly. Missing 1 class item per class (that's the CE exclusive) will be meaningless when we'll be changing them out often anyways.

Nuszka

Hey DGAF any other games that should be on my radar for this fall?

Autum 2015 Games to Buy:
1 Metal Gear Solid V (9/1)
2 Destiny's The Taken King (9/15)
3 Assassin's Creed Syndicate (10/23)
4 Halo 5 [pre-ordered] (10/27)
5 Call of Duty Black Ops 3 (11/06)
6 Fallout 4 (11/10)
7 Star Wars Battlefront (11/17)
So many games, AC and COD are not on my list, but the rest i will have a problem of choosing what i want to play more and how much time i have, for example i decided not to get MGS5 which i have been waiting for like crazy, during release date i will be away on holiday and just back for tTK, so MGS will be purchased after the honeymoon phase. Way to many games this holiday season.

noomi

Just imagine how quickly you will level weapons now.

- Nightfall buff
- Telemetries
- Class Item boosts

I like this :D

I think these are the specific class items locked behind the $80 collectors edition, the $40 version does not include these items.

Or I might be wrong...

Ahh I see. Do these items become available when TTK drops, or do we get them early?

I hadn't done any looking into the bonus stuff.

Kyne

What do you mean by this? Explain?

At first everyone thought that class items were an aesthetic thing, so it wasn't a big deal we would miss out on them. Now they seem to be pretty important.

The reason we're getting screwed is because the only way to obtain them (them = the exotic class items) is to buy the collector's edition of the game, which comes with the game + all the dlc and is $80.

CHrloufUcAEoJ2g.png

Worse?

I figured you were going to say better.

Up until now we thought that these special class items were the only ones to have perks on them. Now we know there will be legendaries and thus variety to equip.

The new exotics mean even less to me now, especially considering they would eat up an exotic slot in my inventory.

rNilla

"Dregs cling to the lowest rung of Fallen society. Docked of their lower arms in a ritual of humiliation and obedience, Dregs seek to prove their worth. Only a few will survive to gain promotion and regrow their limbs. Their suicidal bravery is fueled by ambition and shame."

The "promise" of promotion and regrowing their limbs is a bigger lie than Felwinter's. It's like the "Proletariat's Promise" of upward mobility in America.
Damn that's deep.

phen0m24

I'd prefer something like giving the player the ability to get rid of the effect by doing something physical/defenisve.

Maybe something like being immobile/crouching will pause the effect, and if you remain immobile for 4 seconds the effect goes away completely. You could still fire back while crouched/immobile but you couldn't stand or move in a lateral direction.

But that's less like chess. Imagine the map of everyone crouching all the time.

The class item gives your character an exotic-level defense ability, that nullifies another exotic (weapon) ability. Yes? No? Maybe so? :)

"Eviscerate the proletariat." - Stewie Griffin

Deku Tree

How can you say that when ps and xbox players cant play against each other?

When they say things like that they are talking about "True Skill" rankings on Destiny Tracker.

However even TrueSkill rankings are not that meaning full because when Top Players play "sweaties" most of the time against other Top Players then their True Skill ranking will go way down because it measures things like total wins and k/d.

The best way to get the highest true skill ranking is to play randoms constantly with a full fire-team of pro-mode players.

Hyun Sai

It's great for PvE but not too bad for crucible either. Typically you want shot package for pvp, but full auto is pretty damn good as well.

Don't know much about PVP, but yes, low fire rate of the high impact shotguns was killing me against the high level yellow captains, pretty much rerolled all my Queen Shotguns.

Other than the 3 cypher exotic weopons, what others are there in HoW?

what happened to 347 Vesta dynasty?
what happened to Fate of all fools?

wheres all the things!

makes it nice for collecting and vault space, but I feel like somethings not found or unaccounted for. I feel empty inside

Seriosly though, wheres my scouts. One exotic scount rifle isnt enuogh
unless im playing crucible, I really dont use exotic primaries, cept Vex

RemiLP

When they say things like that they are talking about "True Skill" rankings on Destiny Tracker.

However even TrueSkill rankings are not that meaning full because when Top Players play "sweaties" most of the time against other Top Players then their True Skill ranking will go way down because it measures things like total wins and k/d.

The best way to get the highest true skill ranking is to play randoms constantly with a full fire-team of pro-mode players.

I see.

I don't think wins comes into play very much.

I remember during the February Iron Banner, I had something like 27 "On the Bright Side" medals out of 32 games.

I would think if my losses actually mattered, I would have eventually been paired against lower skilled players. As it was, nothing seems to change with my opponents over the course of the event.

wheres all the things!

makes it nice for collecting and vault space, but I feel like somethings not found or unaccounted for. I feel empty inside

The new Jade Rabbit is an exotic scout rifle.

347 Vesta Dynasty appears to have been scrapped (to some degree) and turned into the Vestian Dynasty. The model for the gun is still in the game, though.

Fate of all Fools is still attached to an Osiris exotic bounty in the datamine files, however the quest no longer makes sense. One quest step mentions having a ticket with 10 wins on it.

Kyne

One of my biggest gripes is Deej all but confirmed nothing is changing with vault space. TTK dropping means people are def going to be making decisions on what to dismantle and what to keep.

noomi

wheres all the things!

The 3 from elder ciphers seem to be it... for now.

Fate of all Fools and the 347 Dynasty are missing in action.

Deku Tree

9 out of the 10 top Crucible players in Destiny play on Xbox. Respect to the Xbone brehs.

For Trials the top three PS4 players are from the 13 Devils Clan.

http://destinytracker.com/destiny/leaderboards/ps/points?grouped=true&page=1&playlist=trialsofOsiris

And keep in mind that they are always playing in pairs and carrying one player. They are not playing as a full team of three MLG pro-mode players.

Here is the True Skill for Trials for all platforms

http://destinytracker.com/destiny/l...s?grouped=true&page=1&playlist=trialsofOsiris

So 7 out of the top ten Trials players are playing on Xbox. But how many of them are carrying? Or how many of them playing with a full pro-mode fire team?

If your not carrying then your win percentage goes up and also your total number of wins goes up a lot because the games can go a lot faster.

One of my biggest gripes is Deej all but confirmed nothing is changing with vault space. TTK dropping means people are def going to be making decisions on what to dismantle and what to keep.

As long as Vendors keep shaders, ships, and class items as part of their regular inventory, I'm okay with this.

I love that Petra and Variks have the inventory that they do. It lets me know I can come back and pick that up whenever I feel like it.

ocean

Banned

Win% (of course also weighing total games) is the most important factor, but the exact formula is a secret so players don't game the system. K/D is significantly less important, as I understand it.

It's not perfect, but it's a system that manages to tell you a lot. If you see a DTR 30 player, there's a very high chance that he's good. If you see a DTR 10 player, chances are high he's average. He could be a star with bad luck in matchmaking, but a single pro can turn the tides aggressively - see ToO carries for confirmation. I'd wager Skirmish is a good place to play with randoms if you're high skilled. Control probably the worst since a team messing up spawns and capping the wrong points or not capping when they should can cost you the match no matter how well you play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom