• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Oh, Xur. I though it was out of my possibilities. I must have like four strange coins from decoded engrams, although I am reading now that they can be obtained from daily missions or weekly heroic strikes... I had to search the net to find where in the map they are accessed from.

Yesterday I reach Vanguard Reputation Level 2, mostly with bounties done between events. No plans about doing Crucible at all, so that's why I just want to see the Vault of Glass and be over forever with the game.

I think you can hit the minimum level for VoG normal in a mix of purples and blues maybe so that might lessen your path to the goal?

Most people here are over leveled for it anyways so if you can find a good GAF group to take you in it should be fine even if you're at the minimum level.

Rare armor can only give a maximum of 25 Light per piece, giving a total of 100 Light and allowing the Guardian to reach level 28.

Legendary armor obtained inside the Vault of Glass can give a maximum of 30 Light. If a Guardian has four pieces of these Legendary Armor or three pieces and one Exotic piece of armor, they can reach a total of 120 Light, hitting level 30.

Vanguard, Crucible, and Faction armor gives a maximum of 36 Light, allowing a Guardian to reach level 32.

Sounds like full blues will get you over leveled for Normal VoG too lol.

Is there anywhere (aside from this thread) where I can find a group to glimmer farm at Gatekeepers? I'm down to 300 glimmer due to re-rolling!

bitsurugi

I mean if you had shank burn weapons...

Because no checkpoints makes sense in a horde mode but oops, somehow this raid fight got mixed in so good luck!

I generally agree with that, but sadly PoE35 as of now, takes too long (imo the round 5 is the WOOOOORST ever - that boss has 50% HP too much, a true bullet sponge, boring as hell). If all goes well, you are done in 40-50 mins, but it should be 30-40 mins, if all does not go well, it can take 1h-1.5h, where checkpoints are in fact needed and welcome.

I have been called into Skolas fights for help and at the end i saw timers like 5+ hours... here there is no reason for no checkpoints. Not to mention random ''weasel'' and other animalistic errors...

Bungie should imo just kill round 5, or at the very least give that stupid servitor 1/2 HP, it soooo annoying as right now, no difficulty at all, just plain boring.

Also, PoE is NOT a horde mode. It's not random at all as it is now. Whoever played Horde in GoW knows what i mean. PoE is basically just a preset arena fight. And it WILL get more and more tedious each week onward, since it is the exact same (35).

GutZ31

Is there anywhere (aside from this thread) where I can find a group to glimmer farm at Gatekeepers? I'm down to 300 glimmer due to re-rolling!

There are a couple PSN chat rooms you could be added to on the PS4, but I rarely use those as they seem more ghost town lately.

DGAF thread is the place to ask.

Shito

I generally agree with that, but sadly PoE35 as of now, takes too long (imo the round 5 is the WOOOOORST ever - that boss has 50% HP too much, a true bullet sponge, boring as hell). If all goes well, you are done in 40-50 mins, but it should be 30-40 mins, if all does not go well, it can take 1h-1.5h, where checkpoints are in fact needed and welcome.

I have been called into Skolas fights for help and at the end i saw timers like 5+ hours... here there is no reason for no checkpoints. Not to mention random ''weasel'' and other animalistic errors...

Bungie should imo just kill round 5, or at the very least give that stupid servitor 1/2 HP, it soooo annoying as right now, no difficulty at all, just plain boring.

Also, PoE is NOT a horde mode. It's not random at all as it is now. Whoever played Horde in GoW knows what i mean. PoE is basically just a preset arena fight. And it WILL get more and more tedious each week onward, since it is the exact same (35).
I don't know why they are not changing PoE 35's rounds each week...
Makes no sense at all not to.
Same thing for the other difficulties: I didn't check it yet, but it seemed to me a given PoE will always have the same rounds with the same modifiers, don't they?
The rounds and modifiers should just be randomly selected each week...

Jinjo

Awesome

And thank you

Yes at the last bit. There are no random spawns of different enemies, the modifiers are the same every week, hell even the objectives are all the same. With all the different races it's such a waste not to throw different combinations of enemies at you.

Klyka

Banned
I don't know why they are not changing PoE 35's rounds each week...
Makes no sense at all not to.
Same thing for the other difficulties: I didn't check it yet, but it seemed to me a given PoE will always have the same rounds with the same modifiers, don't they?
The rounds and modifiers should just be randomly selected each week...

The entire GAME should have randomized enemies and such in strikes and other group content. Or out in the patrols.
At least change the enemies that show up depending on difficulty!

But Bungie just really hates randomization in this it seems.

Shito

I am finally apart of the hawkmoon family. manly tears!
Congrats!
Now take this bad boy to PVP and get your first...

ymLxTqt.gif

The entire GAME should have randomized enemies and such in strikes and other group content. Or out in the patrols.

Yep, I thought they were finally going to give us properly randomized content with PoE, but even with a mode specifically built with that in mind they refuse to do it...

RNGesus, "Xur", "weeklies events" are random...

Yes that's correct. He may be better off hitting the legendary edition for $60, unless TDB is discounted on psn..

That sucks. I plan on getting the Taken King CE even though I have the base game and DLCs but if it comes with a code for TDB I can just give him that.

Ken

I've only lightly played GoW's horde mode but a lot of ODST and Reach's Firefight modes and the non-boss PoE rounds really feel like Firefight with a boring and usually trivial objective.

I think the most glaring issues of PoE's boss fights is that there is a delta in difficulty between the fights, and also a lack of easing players into mechanic-dependent fights. For the divide in difficulty there's Gulrot, Urrox, and Cabal guy on the easy side, Qodron and Kaliks Reborn somewhere in the middle, and finally Skolas on the extreme opposite. Just look at the initial reception to Urrox and Qodron's debut and you'll see what I mean. There was very little to indicate to players the erratic difficulty spikes from week to week which ultimately results in a failure to set aside the appropriate time for wipes and learning. Of course, I think as time goes on it'll just be a matter of tedious repetition as you say, and by that point checkpoints won't be needed when people are routinely clearing bosses.

On the second issue is the poor introduction to mechanics. Outside of VoG and maybe CE, the majority of players and non-raiders have basically been trained and taught to play peekaboo with bullet sponge bosses to win. Even the mid-bosses in PoE reinforce this. With this in mind, it's really no wonder that simple mechanics like Qodron's Eye and Detain would suddenly be a wall for a bunch of players, and Skolas even more so.

Anyways, aside from the anomaly that is Skolas I think the rest of PoE is okay without checkpoints, but I wouldn't be opposed to them being added.

Tldr; learn mechanics and Skolas is weird.

Jinjo

It says on the PSN description "..or who is level 30 before August 30", or something lile that. Check it out first.

That's to be eligible for the 'loyalty-gift'. In order to play The Taken King you need the main game + all DLC's. No exceptions. It makes sense as to not split up the playerbase. The main "issue" is that pricing is weird and being a loyal player actually fucks you over. There should be some sort of bonus discount for people that bought everything up 'till now. Or just lower the price of the expansion-only package.

Lnkn52

That's to be eligible for the 'loyalty-gift'. In order to play The Taken King you need the main game + all DLC's. No exceptions. It makes sense as to not split up the playerbase. The main "issue" is that pricing is weird and being a loyal player actually fucks you over. There should be some sort of bonus discount for people that bought everything up 'till now. Or just lower the price of the expansion-only package.
But they are. That's the $40 digital version. That price is only available for players that own all the DLCs.

You are not legible to make the last purchase until PSN scans your inventory for the other DLCs.

Not Signed in:

Signed In:

Lnkn52

I meant on top of that. The expansion-only is really expensive compared to the 'deal' new players are getting.
True, they are saving $20 for not having to buy another DLC. They feel the expansion is worth $40 when it's all said and done. It's not worthy of a full $6O price tag.

ocean

Banned
After giving it a lot of thought, my final take on the pricing:

US$40 for TTK makes sense. Destiny has never been cheap and it totally seems like it'll have double the content as the US$20 expansions we've had so far.

US$60 for Legendary all in one is a good deal for people who want to hop in now. Don't think anyone could suggest this bundle is poorly priced. Also good in my book.

Collector's Edition at US$80 also seems fair. You get a nice deal of goodies and all the content. This isn't for everyone but seems like a nice deal for the kind of person who would want a model Strange Coin and art book. This is me. Including some exclusive shaders and class items is not too surprising and similar to the Ghost she'll being exclusive at launch.

Big issues in my book are only two:

1. The emotes should have been part of the VIP Loyalty package instead of the CE rewards. I mean people from day 1 deserve a chance at new emotes without having to go for an expensive Collector's Edition.

2. The digital Collector's Edition shouldn't exist. The mere fact that it exists is insane. It sort of implies that you're being charged for the shaders and stuff with the CE, when CE should be about the physical goodies and those in game cosmetics should be seen as a little bonus. The fact that there's a digital CE has in a way increased the perception of these cosmetics' value far beyond what can be justified.

If these cosmetics had been limited to the CE - the only real CE - and the emotes were VIP, I don't think there would be much backlash. We, launch players, would have either gone CE for all that it is, or stuck with a digital upgrade without giving 3 shaders any second thought.

Ken

Collector's Editions for an expansion are weird anyways.

CEs should be that thing for the biggest fans to get. That you're even buying the expansion is representative of this already so the CE is redundant and just comes off as a lazy way to make a quick buck before you can cash in on another CE for the sequel.

Lnkn52

I would gladly pay $60 for a Legendary Collection which included everything in the CE minus the base game and the two DLCs. Do it Bungie.

@Ken I will have to ask here for companions to the the Vault, but overall I usually am "the load" of the team, so being properly equipped should be necessary to balance it. I tend to get lost easily, lose my companions (lately I start the strikes alone and they are already far ahead of me, and have difficulties reaching the area. Other times I was the one having to do revivals all the time.

In any case, how long is Vault of Glass? Midweek I can't play for long and i don't get vacations until August, so it would be a thing for a Saturday of Binge gaming if it can be completed in something like five hours, although I need to get an adapter for my headset first.

I'm starting to feel a bit of burnout already (both from Destiny and overall gaming, so I am going to take it easy and just get enough marks for a piece of gear every week.

Ken

@Ken I will have to ask here for companions to the the Vault, but overall I usually am "the load" of the team, so being properly equipped should be necessary to balance it. I tend to get lost easily, lose my companions (lately I start the strikes alone and they are already far ahead of me, and have difficulties reaching the area. Other times I was the one having to do revivals all the time.

In any case, how long is Vault of Glass? Midweek I can't play for long and i don't get vacations until August, so it would be a thing for a Saturday of Binge gaming if it can be completed in something like five hours, although I need to get an adapter for my headset first.

I'm starting to feel a bit of burnout already (both from Destiny and overall gaming, so I am going to take it easy and just get enough marks for a piece of gear every week.

A good run should take around an hour, though I'd set aside 1.5 to 2 hours just in case. It's really not too difficult if you've got an experienced group showing you the ropes.

Collector's Editions for an expansion are weird anyways.

CEs should be that thing for the biggest fans to get. That you're even buying the expansion is representative of this already so the CE is redundant and just comes off as a lazy way to make a quick buck before you can cash in on another CE for the sequel.

I'd like a Grimoire Volume 1 are something included with the Physical CE but I'm happy with the contents. Depending on how it ships I may be able to give my friends HoW or Dark Below and I like the inclusion of a strange coin which is pretty neat. The digital stuff like the shaders and class items all look fairly solid too.

I bought the ghost edition and got at least £150 and got at least 800 hundred hours out of it. That's less than 19p per hour of destiny I've played. I'll gladly pay £80 for another few hundred.

Alchemist

Sup DestinyGAF.

About to jump back into Destiny after a 7 month hiatus. Is The Taken King - Digital Collector's Edition the best way to go if I haven't played the previous expansions? Reading quite a bit of controversy about it since its announcement.

noomi

Sup DestinyGAF.

About to jump back into Destiny after a 7 month hiatus. Is The Taken King - Digital Collector's Edition the best way to go if I haven't played the previous expansions? Reading quite a bit of controversy about it since its announcement.

Welcome back Guardian!

If you do not own either of the expansions, you can get the $60 legendary edition which includes all previous content as well as the taken king, or one of the collectors editions for $80 which also includes all the old/new content as well as some extra goodies.

Just wanted to toss my 2 cents in about the announcement prices. Relax, what week is it? E3 and I would like to assume things have been hectic for Bungie. Give it a little bit of time and see what happens. Assuming things will get you kill!!

Ikkarus

Sup DestinyGAF.

Welcome back Guardian.

In terms of value for money you couldn't go wrong and grabbing TTK collectors edition. However that's not getting released until September so for a few months you'll only have the vanilla version of the game which is plenty to do but you'll be missing out on quite a bit too:

Crota Raid
Prison of Elders
Trials of Osiris

It all depends on how much you want to play the extra bits from the previous expansions.

noomi

Just wanted to toss my 2 cents in about the announcement prices. Relax, what week is it? E3 and I would like to assume things have been hectic for Bungie. Give it a little bit of time and see what happens. Assuming things will get you kill!!

This is what some of us were saying last night, there is no rush to go out and buy the digital editions yet, I would hope Bungie would try and do something for those of us that have been here from day 0.

Like many others, my biggest gripe if the extra goodies that the CE versions get. I want the extra shaders, sparrow, class items....etc but don't want to dish out the extra $40 just for that....

Lets just wait and see, we have about 3 months before the release, anything could happen/change between now and then :)

Alchemist

Welcome back Guardian!

If you do not own either of the expansions, you can get the $60 legendary edition which includes all previous content as well as the taken king, or one of the collectors editions for $80 which also includes all the old/new content as well as some extra goodies.

Are the extras worth an extra $20? I had a physical copy before, but would like to go digital this time.

Welcome back Guardian.

In terms of value for money you couldn't go wrong and grabbing TTK collectors edition. However that's not getting released until September so for a few months you'll only have the vanilla version of the game which is plenty to do but you'll be missing out on quite a bit too:

Crota Raid
Prison of Elders
Trials of Osiris

It all depends on how much you want to play the extra bits from the previous expansions.

The UK PSN says 'Pre-purchase [TKK - Digital Collectors Edition] to immediately begin playing Destiny and both expansions. I stopped playing at level 28 so the two expansions I'm guessing should keep me busy for the next 3 months.

Thanks for the responses!

Dishy

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, you can play Destiny and the expansions right away if you purchase the Digital Collector's Edition.

Hmm. I want to go digital too, but own the two expansions. Waiting for sale on Destiny and then buy TTK will be nearly as expensive as just buying the Digital Collector's Edition. It stinks that I have to "purchase" both DLCs again when I go with the latter option though...

Kylejc86

I was wondering when you buy the digital collectors edition does it just unlock the vanilla destiny and the 2 expansions or does it unlock the digital guardian edition that comes with the special ghost, ship and shader?

Deku Tree

Yup. Nami told me that Bungie didn't announce the Year one Season pass until July 2014 so people should at least wait until the Year two season pass is announced before freaking out.

Yup, not pre-ordering anything right now. Will wait till the last minute.

This makes a lot of sense especially if your planning to buy digitally. They only announced the cross buy promotion a few days before Destiny was released so no reason to digitally pre-order this far in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom