• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocean

Banned
Yes, there is always a "best" gun. Gjallahorn situation is different though as the difference between the second best rocket launcher and this broken shit is like 1 to 10.

The sooner we get rid of this nonsense, the better the game will be.
That's crazy. Gjallarhorn does less than twice the damage of HoC, it's about 1.5x. I really don't understand how people think it is a problem.

The weapon itself is good. Some encounters are just poorly designed like Solar burn Skolas. In practical use, having or not having a Gjallarhorn is only really relevant if you want to solo Raid content. It's otherwise the best RL sure but not by a large enough margin to warrant all the attention it does in my opinion.

HoW has some great stuff.

Matador 64 and Part Crasher +1 are probably the best shotguns available.
Her Benevolence and Shadow of Veils might be the best 3v3 snipers, edging out LDR and Longbow with higher Aim Assist
Low Grade Humility and Eye of Sol are extremely good 6v6 snipers
Hopscotch Pilgrim, Spare Change and The Messenger are top tier Pulse Rifles
Ash Factory can be rolled into the very best legendary RL (tied with the IB one to be fair)
The BTRD or whatever is the best legendary machine gun you can get your hands on
The three exotic weapons we got are easily better than the sad TDB Exotics (Dragon's Breath, No Land Beyond, Necrochasm and PS exclusive 4th Horseman)

PoE weapons underwhelmed a little, but random Crucible/Vanguard drops, Queen's Wrath and Trials of Osiris all brought amazing stuff to the table.

What have you done?

NLB defence force coming in 3...2...1...

macewank

It'd never happen, but I think instead of having them let us "ascend" old legendaries to new values, I'd rather see them introduce new tiers of existing raids (i.e. a level 40 Vault of Glass) where the upgraded versions drop.

They gotta find a balance between what they did with TDB where everyone spent months grinding materials to get 32/upgrade exotics and the new weapons, and HoW where just over a month in I'm 34 on every character, have most every weapon I want upgraded done, and now have a surplus of etheric light.

ocean

Banned
No way, the 4th Horseman is a top tier yellow bar murderer and I guarantee the No Land Beyond will be used by people long after the Dreg's Promise is forgotten to the corners of time. The Bow and Lord are awesome, though.
4th is not bad. Not what I would call top tier either. Dragon's Breath would be bad even if it were Legendary. Necrochasm (sorry Nami) has to be a Bungie joke were not in on because seriously it's beyond bad. And NLB is a cool concept but it's an impractical weapon 99% of the player base won't take the time to learn how to use. Having to glitch the reload animation by sprint canceling is not really a feature you want in a weapon, much less a primary.

macewank

Found veredict is better (just as good) for most situations tho and frees the exotic slot.

the same argument could probably be made for any exotic in the game. there's always a "pretty close for most stuff" legendary that frees up the exotic slot. that really isn't the point, is it?

I have that but it's been collecting dust in the vault. Is it actually good for PVP compared to the other recent shotties?

Awful range. That's a PVE gun.

the same argument could probably be made for any exotic in the game. there's always a "pretty close for most stuff" legendary that frees up the exotic slot. that really isn't the point, is it?

What's the closest you will get to a Gjahllarhorn? Or even a Thunderlord?

spyder_ur

HoW has some great stuff.

Matador 64 and Part Crasher +1 are probably the best shotguns available.
Her Benevolence and Shadow of Veils might be the best 3v3 snipers, edging out LDR and Longbow with higher Aim Assist
Low Grade Humility and Eye of Sol are extremely good 6v6 snipers
Hopscotch Pilgrim, Spare Change and The Messenger are top tier Pulse Rifles
Ash Factory can be rolled into the very best legendary RL (tied with the IB one to be fair)
The BTRD or whatever is the best legendary machine gun you can get your hands on
The three exotic weapons we got are easily better than the sad TDB Exotics (Dragon's Breath, No Land Beyond, Necrochasm and PS exclusive 4th Horseman)

PoE weapons underwhelmed a little, but random Crucible/Vanguard drops, Queen's Wrath and Trials of Osiris all brought amazing stuff to the table.

That's true now that you mention it. There are also a ton of good scout rifles although they don't differentiate themselves that much. My two current favorites to play around with are NL Shadow with Full Auto and Firefly and a One/One Synesthete with Full Auto and Crowd Control (didn't even know this could roll on a scout and it is awesome for trash mobs).

Are they objectively better or competitive with the raid weapons, particularly VoG. Probably not.

I'm in the corner of not letting any old weapons get upgraded in year 2. It's bungie's job to make exciting things for us to want to get. I don't want to be on destiny 5 still rocking the horn.

I'm not a scumbag! Titan got to do what a Titan got to do.

phen0m24

That's true now that you mention it. There are also a ton of good scout rifles although they don't differentiate themselves that much. My two current favorites to play around with are NL Shadow with Full Auto and Firefly and a One/One Synesthete with Full Auto and Crowd Control (didn't even know this could roll on a scout and it is awesome for trash mobs).

Are they objectively better or competitive with the raid weapons, particularly VoG. Probably not.

If my shadow rolled with solar I might have deleted my voc. It shoots so fast it's almost an auto rifle! Full auto and third eye on mine

Shito

That's crazy. Gjallarhorn does less than twice the damage of HoC, it's about 1.5x. I really don't understand how people think it is a problem.

The weapon itself is good. Some encounters are just poorly designed like Solar burn Skolas. In practical use, having or not having a Gjallarhorn is only really relevant if you want to solo Raid content. It's otherwise the best RL sure but not by a large enough margin to warrant all the attention it does in my opinion.
The problem is that both times Bungie released end-game content that was made way easier by people having a Horn, namely Crota and solar burn Skolas. This helped forged the "reputation" of the Horn even more, and led to all the "must have horn" lfg posts.
I don't care whether or not Bungie decides to nerf it, but they have to stop attributing health points and designing dps requirements around people all having one...

Ikkarus

I got 3x The Fourth Horseman from PoE 28 chest.

All 3 were sharded.
4th Horseman shines in PoE against fallen enemies. Those captains and servitors literally melt before it. Plus it's great for when you have to kill the targets too.

Found Verdict is decent but I personally opt for the 4th Horseman for PVE.

Fel Winter / Matador for PVP.

Deku Tree

I can guarantee that every Year 1 gun will not be able to "ascend" to Year 2. Bungie doesn't want another Gjallarhorn situation, where there is only 1 go-to weapon for an activity.

If you don't work for Bungie then I fail to see how you can guarantee that. And I don't believe it either.

I'm in the corner of not letting any old weapons get upgraded in year 2. It's bungie's job to make exciting things for us to want to get. I don't want to be on destiny 5 still rocking the horn.

I believe the true issue is the lack of ideas for exotic weapons..The "expansions" both have lack lust exotic weapons. A few good exotic armors.

spyder_ur

If my shadow rolled with solar I might have deleted my voc. It shoots so fast it's almost an auto rifle! Full auto and third eye on mine

Yeah it's pretty damn nice. Weirdly the fact that you can now roll full auto on the scout of your choice means they have basically taken the place of assault rifles since those suck so much.

Feels like alot of the scouts in this game (edit: really this expansion) are very similar though, and all fairly competent. They all fall in the range between 'pretty good' and 'almost as great as Voc', depending on the specific weapon and perks.

Deku Tree

For PvE? 4th Horseman is basically an instant kill machine, even for high yellow bar enemies in PoE. 5-7 shots in one second solves a lot of problems. It's probably my most used exotic.

On level 35 it's better to keep your distance and fire Ghorns. Getting up close to a level 35 yellow bar capital is a bad idea unless their one shot away from death.

So are some of the sniper rifles that you can't reforge better than something like a perfectly reforged Low Grade Humility or Her Benevolence?
Id like to use the sniper from trials, but I have an almost perfectly rolled Humility and Benevolence. Im a medicore sniper, so I need all the help I can get.

ocean

Banned

Vault of Glass:

Pulse Rifle: Garbage
Rocket Launcher: meh (no tracking OR proximity so neither PvE nor PvP focused)
Machine Gun: great, not special. Exactly the same as M18 Harm's Way
Fusion Rifle: insane impact. Comparable to PoE fusion, they are very similar
Sniper: I love it for its RoF and perfect stability. Really low Aim Assist and impact. Overall still good though there's probably better options for most encounters
Auto Rifle: pea shooter. Still MVP on Oracles though. Trash for everything else.
Scout: Vision is fantastic but its main appeal was that Auto Fire was exclusive to it. Now you can roll that elsewhere..

The only stuff that really stands out above the competition are Found Verdict and Fatebringner.

FV because it has the same range as a perfect roll Matador. No shot package, but auto fire with 6 rounds and great stability, RoF and reload speed. Hard to beat this one.

Fatebringer because Firefly is insane on a HC. Firefly on a Scout doesn't feel the same because you don't one shot most enemies. A 365 Fatebringer lets you literally clear a mob with one bullet. No other primary gives you this power. One bullet, 8 Thralls down? Insane.

Maybe it'll lose the throne though. HoW brought Auto Fire to the Scout perk table. I think TTK will bring Firefly to the HC table and then we'll see Fatebringer lose its special place as the best primary in the game.

Even so, we took Shank burn and impulsively gave HoW a "bad weapons" connotation despite it having brought the best option for most weapon classes in the game.

Thanks for the trails fun Drizzay and Kartik.

That one game with the 4-1 to 5-4 comeback was incredible.

Yeah, great games guys, that one match was one of the best Trials games I've been a part of (gotta go back and watch the video!). We were really pushing the limits of the "connection quality MM" with a 3-continent fire team, lol. And we had the yellow and red bars to prove it, more consistently bad connections than I've ever seen in ToO.

P.S. Sorry for the occasional rage-out, hopefully everyone knows not to take it too seriously :p Sometimes I just get super frustrated w myself for making bad plays (or for laggy nonsense).

I believe the true issue is the lack of ideas for exotic weapons..The "expansions" both have lack lust exotic weapons. A few good exotic armors.

I agree with you 100%. If TTK is supposed to have half the content of Vanilla destiny then we should at least get a decent amount of new exotics, but chances of most of them being g useless are high...just like most exotics anyway. I feel like an easy way to make eotics really shine is to make them all have entirely unique perks instead of just one unique perk.

macewank

Awful range. That's a PVE gun.

What's the closest you will get to a Gjahllarhorn? Or even a Thunderlord?

When I need to equip a different exotic, I swap over to my Dreamwaker with tripod/tracking. It's not a 'horn, but it's adequate for most content.

As far as Thunderlord, I've got a Sawtooth Oscillator that rolled with counter balance and feeding frenzy that I use right now.. I've got a BTRD-345 that I'm trying to re-roll with counterbalance and rangefinder as well.

Again.. neither are necessarily as good or better than their exotic counterpart, but more than adequate for most content.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Thought I saw you on.

Yeah, it's kind of disappointing that the best weapons are still pretty much the ones from the original game, with a few exceptions. There are plenty of fun ones to play around with given that you can reroll new legendaries to your heart's content, but FB/VoC/IB/Horn/the exotic hand cannons are still the kings for the most part.

I don't have any of the new exotics yet though.

I agree with you that there's not much reason there shouldn't be matchmaking for PoE. It's not much different than a strike, to be honest.

And it's really a shame PoE doesn't have an endless mode. That would be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom