• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way that the Eurogamer Luke Smith interview is presented in that gaming side thread makes it seems a lot worse than it actually was. Luke is totally being a salesman, but he isn't really out of character. He practically acknowledges that they're selling the CE digital extras to the hardcore fans for $40 (per console).

th3dude

Jumping offline for a few hours. Should be on around 10 for a bit before we crush Crota HM at 11pm EDT. I'll start inviting as we get close to 11.

Roster reminder for everyone:

# | GAF - PSN
-----------------------------------------------------
1. th3dude - th3dude119
2. Sketch_Turntable - Sketch_Turntable
3. Gammacide - V1ctIm
4. Lunar FC - Unknown_Hero
5. BurningNad - BurningNad
6. GutZ31 - GutZ31 (Our beloved sherpa)

Huge thank you to the group for showing up and having a great run.

Special thanks to Gutz for showing us the way.

My goal was elemental primaries and I landed Fang of Ir Yut and Abyss Defiant. Mission accomplished!

ERMint13

Why does it seem on Monday during Trials certain teams take no damage. They are low grimoire and poor shots but since they eat shots they can kill you.

He definitely doesn't deserve the animosity he's getting, but let's be real here. His interview was a PR mess and he's going to have to learn from it. Sometimes backlash needs to happen for things to change. Ultimately none of this will matter because Bungie will find some way to make everyone happy now, and in a few months people will be playing TTK having forgotten this whole debacle ever happened. It is what it is.

I do understand what you're saying, however, I firmly believe animosity as a reaction is rarely justified regardless of the results. I'll almost feel dirty if Bungie goes back on their pricing/packaging decisions because of this shit response from the community. I don't wholeheartedly support their decisions, and I do think making adjustments to their strategy is likely wise, but that said I refuse to believe that being a groveling pack of hateful pricks is the only way to make our voices heard. Then again maybe I have too much faith in the human condition.

So, I've been playing this since September. I always felt like Vex, Thor and Bad Juju (dat Nova Bomber set with Osidian Mind) were my goto weapons in the Crucible.

Yesterday, I found a lovely Hawkmoon lying around in my vault and decided to give it a try.

WHAT A BEAST! I have this gun for ages and never care to use it! I'm a pretty capable Crucible player, but now I'm simpy bulldozing anything that gets in my way.

Thorn is for the weak. And the Crucible is not a challenge to be taken lightly.

Frenden

Banned
Late to the party, but just finished my first Skolas. Woo! We were all new and managed in three attempts.

That shader is rad. Elder Cipher gotten. Queen's Bow here I come.

lt519

The way that the Eurogamer Luke Smith interview is presented in that gaming side thread makes it seems a lot worse than it actually was. Luke is totally being a salesman, but he isn't really out of character. He practically acknowledges that they're selling the CE digital extras to the hardcore fans for $40 (per console).

The gaming side is a mess, I try and defend a little in there but there's too much drive by shit posting of people that don't even bother to present an argument besides "lol $40 yeah right."

The interview was a little harsh, they need to be a little more respectful of their fanbase. I don't care about the exclusive content and whether he was "in-character," it just shouldn't be so muddled. They've never really been straight up with us and by being passive-aggressive and sarcastic it only frustrates us further. There are surely better ways to handle it.

I've been trying to have some good discussion over there though and there is some eking out. Right now I'm trying to talk about the path forward for weapons and how it's really not in their best interest to have the VoG weapons continue to be the best weapons. What does the OT side think over here for the new expansion:

1) We can upgrade to Year 2 levels with all weapons
1a) Material to do this is only available after beating TTK
1b) Material is available off the bat like Etheric Light was
2) Year 1 weapons can not be ascended to Year 2
3) Year 1 weapons can be ascended but are outclassed by new perks on Year 2 weapons
3a) Render old perks weaker through encounter design (Taken enemies aren't tracked by Wolfpack rounds)
3b) Make new fun perks play off encounter design and new sub-classes (we saw this in HoW with weapons that provide support, an evolution of that)
4) Year 1 weapons can be ascended and are as good as Year 2 but the new sub-classes are much stronger in attack and support and become the primary source of major damage to bosses/majors

I think as a design philosophy they ultimately do not want us to keep using the same weapons. I can't imagine in Year 2 they envisioned all of us still using Fatebringer and Gjallahorn. It removes the desire to hunt for new loot and with re-rollable weapons IB perfect weapons are pretty easily attainable. It changes the core design when there is no loot to go after. At this point they'd be relying on actual exciting content to carry to new expansion until the holiday expac. We can probably safely say there isn't as much new content as Vanilla Destiny and it won't last as long.

I'd actually like to have a conversation about this, I think it's an interesting topic, but the only place I'm probably gonna get that is over here in the OT.

The gaming side is a mess, I try and defend a little in there but there's too much drive by shit posting of people that don't even bother to present an argument besides "lol $40 yeah right."

The interview was a little harsh, they need to be a little more respectful of their fanbase. I don't care about the exclusive content and whether he was "in-character," it just shouldn't be so muddled. They've never really been straight up with us and by being passive-aggressive and sarcastic it only frustrates us further. There are surely better ways to handle it.

I've been trying to have some good discussion over there though and there is some eking out. Right now I'm trying to talk about the path forward for weapons and how it's really not in their best interest to have the VoG weapons continue to be the best weapons. What does the OT side think over here for the new expansion:

1) We can upgrade to Year 2 levels with all weapons
1a) Material to do this is only available after beating TTK
1b) Material is available off the bat like Etheric Light was
2) Year 1 weapons can not be ascended to Year 2
3) Year 1 weapons can be ascended but are outclassed by new perks on Year 2 weapons
3a) Render old perks weaker through encounter design (Taken enemies aren't tracked by Wolfpack rounds)
3b) Make new fun perks play off encounter design and new sub-classes (we saw this in HoW with weapons that provide support, an evolution of that)
4) Year 1 weapons can be ascended and are as good as Year 2 but the new sub-classes are much stronger in attack and support and become the primary source of major damage to bosses/majors

I think as a design philosophy they ultimately do not want us to keep using the same weapons. I can't imagine in Year 2 they envisioned all of us still using Fatebringer and Gjallahorn. It removes the desire to hunt for new loot and with re-rollable weapons IB perfect weapons are pretty easily attainable. It changes the core design when there is no loot to go after. At this point they'd be relying on actual exciting content to carry to new expansion until the holiday expac. We can probably safely say there isn't as much new content as Vanilla Destiny and it won't last as long.

I'd actually like to have a conversation about this, I think it's an interesting topic, but the only place I'm probably gonna get that is over here in the OT.

They should roll with entirely new weapons for Year 2, Year 1 not being upgradable. People will be upset, especially those that only recently got their most sought after weapons.

The fact that you can go back and relatively easily beat old raids while over-leveled for the content and get loot that, with a few steps taken, is not only still effective but in some cases better than the newest stuff definitely undercuts those newer weapons.

On the one had, it gives their weapon designers some breathing room but at the same time it makes what work they DO do, get pretty much ignored.

OkayRene

Finally got my Hunter to Level 20. Skipped Story stuff and went right for Crucible and Crucible bounties. Only took ~6 hours total playtime.

I think the Hunter will end up being my favorite class once I max her out.

lt519

They should roll with entirely new weapons for Year 2, Year 1 not being upgradable. People will be upset, especially those that only recently got their most sought after weapons.

I think I agree, the best way to do this would be to lock out Year 1 weapons but I think they are afraid of the outrage it would cause. They would have to release TTK with a quantity of weapons equivalent of the entire Year 1 and I'm not sure that's gonna happen. It would solve the vault space problem though...

I also like option 4. Let people upgrade their old weapons so they can use them in PvP and keep doing patrols and clear mobs with them but design the new encounters such that the new sub-classes so integral to fights that you couldn't possibly finish even story missions without them. New bosses and majors are more resistant to weapons and weaker against supers. It'd take a complete re-design in every way they've handled encounters.

I also like option 4. Let people upgrade their old weapons so they can use them in PvP and keep doing patrols and clear mobs with them but design the new encounters such that the new sub-classes so integral to fights that you couldn't possibly finish even story missions without them. New bosses and majors are more resistant to weapons and weaker against supers. It'd take a complete re-design in every way they've handled encounters.

That would do, I think.

I understand the need to lock year 1 content, but on the other hand, I can't play Destiny without the pleasure of headshoting things with Fatebringer and Vision of Confluence.

And this option would even improve the gameplay. Nowadays, I don't care too much about the subclass I'm using simply because it doesn't make much difference.

lt519

That would do, I think.

I understand the need to lock year 1 content, but on the other hand, I can't play Destiny without the pleasure of headshoting things with Fatebringer and Vision of Confluence.

And this option would even improve the gameplay. Nowadays, I don't care too much about the subclass I'm using simply because it doesn't make much difference.

I think they could do it in a way without rendering the other sub-classes useless too. Invisibility, bubbles, resurrections would all still be huge in their current form but they'd have to buff Striker, Golden Gun, and Nova Bomb through new gear or weapons to keep them viable options. You don't want to break those too. It'd be viable with PvP since they wouldn't become stronger against Guardians.

ICON-VII

Neo Member
Late to the party, but just finished my first Skolas. Woo! We were all new and managed in three attempts.

That shader is rad. Elder Cipher gotten. Queen's Bow here I come.

Such good times. Stress was high, palms were sweaty and mics werent working. Nothing was stopping that B Skolas from dying.

Future

Trouble with not upgrading the old weapons is having to create a suite of weapons that are just as good and equal in number. Maybe ok for legendary weapons, but I doubt it could work for exotics unless they are working harder than I think

New perks outlasting the old or providing new options would be a nice way to make people scrap some of their old stuff willingly. What I care more about with this expansion is hopefully them embracing the various subclass roles and making them matter when taking enemies down. I'd also add weapon affinity to each subclass to further differentiate usage through perks on class items

Two of us starting trials in a few minutes would love to get the messenger will need one more who can help us reach this goal as ive only played one full card this weekend.

Reply here or message my psn is Legendkilla3rd

lt519

I'd also add weapon affinity to each subclass to further differentiate usage through perks on class items

What do you mean by this? Like a bladedancer deals more damage with a sniper or has perks like faster rate of fire or reload? Borderlands did this well, I just played through the Pre-Sequel with a character that had all pistol based perks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom