• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

They're already balancing separately in PvE and PvP-mainly with shotguns. Shotguns are more effective in PvE than they are in PvP in terms of damage output.

They have the tech there to do that. There would be nothing wrong with balancing the PvP and PvE separately.

Osiris weapons should have had PvP only perks.

Shy

Suros was king once upon a time, but Bungie has taken Auto Rifles down to the ground. They're now the worst weapon class you could use in any situation basically.

In general, Hand Cannons are at the very top of the PvP food chain. There are 3 Exotic HCs: Thorn, The Last Word and Hawkmoon. All 3 are absolute top tier. An exotic Pulse Rifle, Red Death, is also very good.

On the a Legendary side of things, high impact Pulse Rifles do really well. Scouts are in a weird place right now and auto rifles are just plain bad.

Hawkmoon is very easy to handle and it is a beast in PvE. Last Word is tricky, but once you learn how to use it, it outshines almost every other weapon in the game. Thorn is nice too.

Personally, I would go with Hawkmoon. Only on my warlock I use a pulse rifle called Bad Juju which helps you to charge your super in a ridiculously fast manner (specially with the Osidian Mind equipped).
Again. thanks so much for the help guys.

Osiris weapons should have had PvP only perks.

Mhm, definitely. But it's like...all the perks they do have are kinda 'general', that can be used across both modes but tend to be valued slightly higher in some modes than others.

PvE and PvP exclusive perks would be fine. Like....like building of Lord of Wolves old perk, maybe make PvE weapons have 'burn' perks that light up the enemy targets with whichever element, but it's disabled in PvP. Whereas in PvP you can have like....increased map radius(Which they kinda do in Taken King, but it's usable in both PvE and PvP.).

I think alot of people would be happy with that. Again, they should kinda copy WoW, and have perks that only work in PvP with armor sets(Except in this case perks). Granted they'd have to deal with the vault space if we start carrying weapons that are PvP-superior or PvE-superior.

Frenden

Banned
I have two Hopscotch Pilgrims with good rolls. I got a Spare Change and was rolling and rolling for Outlaw, a stability buff, and Hidden Hand. Probably 50 motes.

Skolas chest drops a Queen's pulse with Outlaw, Small Bore or Speed Reload, and Hidden Hand.

Well played, RNG. Well played.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Ji66a, Ruthless, Driz, Unstable et all, regret to say that I will not be joining you guys tonight for our weekly Raid Run. Some very pressing issues I have to take care of tomorrow so I need my sleep. Best of luck to you all!

And to my dear friend Ruthless:

Haha, fuck you! I got my Found Verdict AND my Plan C. Watcha gonna do now? Huh? HUH!?

exYle

I have two Hopscotch Pilgrims with good rolls. I got a Spare Change and was rolling and rolling for Outlaw, a stability buff, and Hidden Hand. Probably 50 motes.

Skolas chest drops a Queen's pulse with Outlaw, Small Bore or Speed Reload, and Hidden Hand.

Well played, RNG. Well played.

Where do you get those? I've grinded Dragon strikes a little but nothing so far.

lt519

Mhm, definitely. But it's like...all the perks they do have are kinda 'general', that can be used across both modes but tend to be valued slightly higher in some modes than others.

PvE and PvP exclusive perks would be fine. Like....like building of Lord of Wolves old perk, maybe make PvE weapons have 'burn' perks that light up the enemy targets with whichever element, but it's disabled in PvP. Whereas in PvP you can have like....increased map radius(Which they kinda do in Taken King, but it's usable in both PvE and PvP.).

I think alot of people would be happy with that. Again, they should kinda copy WoW, and have perks that only work in PvP with armor sets(Except in this case perks). Granted they'd have to deal with the vault space if we start carrying weapons that are PvP-superior or PvE-superior.

Yeah I agree, vault space would become a problem, but like you said they already do it with Shotguns. I actually wasn't aware shotguns were nerfed in PvP (doesn't seem like it)! I'm all for separating them, I think its honestly holding them back. Auto Rifles are practically useless because they needed to nerf them for PvP but they are some of the funnest weapons to fire.

We've been talking about this on the gaming side, I'm not a big fan of the Damage Over Time perks for weapons. Damage Over Time is basically useless as it is (in PvE, fuck Thorn in PvP), but if you gave it a big buff, then it'd only perpetuate the problem that the most useful weapons are elemental primaries. And then you'd really never need them on your grenades or melee. I think it's a cool perk that should be reserved for exotics. If you want that burn, then eat an exotic slot.

Yeah I agree, vault space would become a problem, but like you said they already do it with Shotguns. I actually wasn't aware shotguns were nerfed in PvP (doesn't seem like it)! I'm all for separating them, I think its honestly holding them back. Auto Rifles are practically useless because they needed to nerf them for PvP but they are some of the funnest weapons to fire.

We've been talking about this on the gaming side, I'm not a big fan of the Damage Over Time perks for weapons. Damage Over Time is basically useless as it is (in PvE, fuck Thorn in PvP), but if you gave it a big buff, then it'd only perpetuate the problem that the most useful weapons are elemental primaries. And then you'd really never need them on your grenades or melee. I think it's a cool perk that should be reserved for exotics. If you want that burn, then eat an exotic slot.

I meant elemental damage over time, or giving elements a special affect(Burn for Solar, Void stuns/confuses, Arc does chain damage to clustered enemies, on the gaming side someone was talking about it). Maybe give the respective elemental class bonuses or perks revolving around this.

It's basically a what-if but....it'd be an idea, ya know?

M3Rocket

I'm not! I've stated my case for why I don't think the $80 is worth it and is insulting for year one players. That said, I still enjoy the game, and I'm probably buying the $40 digital version, but I'm waiting to see the rest of what they reveal before I make my decision of whether to pre-order or not. Until then, I'll lament over their clear missed opportunity with their poor bundling and messaging - just like I lament over the PS exclusives every chance I get. Like right now. Yeah, fuck Bungie/Activision for that still!

I'm sure efforts like that will encourage Bungie to participate here on DGAF. <sigh>

I get that you feel "slighted" and "insulted." But please don't generalize that everyone feels that way, or should feel that way. I have no problems with you expressing an opinion. But I don't like personal attacks, and that's what it seems like is happening to both Luke, and DeeJ before that. And I've said before, a company like Bungie doesn't consist of inanimate objects--it's the people that make the company.

Waldini

Finally made it to Mercury. 9-0, no loss boon needed. I had to stop with my previous attempts (7-0, 6-0 etc) because I just didn't have the time required to finish my passage. Wife and kids need attention too

Got the Messenger (solar). Looks like a pretty good Pulse Rifle :eek: Anyone have hands-on experience with that thing?

... this Luke Smith interview makes me cringe. Times 10.000.

A really-REALLY big fuck you to day one players.

Ji66a, Ruthless, Driz, Unstable et all, regret to say that I will not be joining you guys tonight for our weekly Raid Run. Some very pressing issues I have to take care of tomorrow so I need my sleep. Best of luck to you all!

And to my dear friend Ruthless:

Haha, fuck you! I got my Found Verdict AND my Plan C. Watcha gonna do now? Huh? HUH!?

No worries, hope to see you back next week..

i took pity on you and let you have those weapons. You'll always remember them as the guns ruthles let you have :p

BurningNad

Huge thank you to the group for showing up and having a great run.

Special thanks to Gutz for showing us the way.

My goal was elemental primaries and I landed Fang of Ir Yut and Abyss Defiant. Mission accomplished!

Yeah, thanks guys, was a great run. Also made out pretty well with a Fang of Ir Yut and a Fatebringer, so I'm pretty happy. Really wanted a Word of Crota, but you can't get it all at once I guess, haha.

I'm sure efforts like that will encourage Bungie to participate here on DGAF. <sigh>

I get that you feel "slighted" and "insulted." But please don't generalize that everyone feels that way, or should feel that way. I have no problems with you expressing an opinion. But I don't like personal attacks, and that's what it seems like is happening to both Luke, and DeeJ before that. And I've said before, a company like Bungie doesn't consist of inanimate objects--it's the people that make the company.

Hey I wasn't generalizing, just stating my opinion and how I personally feel as well as expressing the opinion of the group I play with who aren't on GAF. That interview is all in my group was talking about tonight. I haven't attacked anyone but you're damned right I will be pissed off at Bungie and Activision for their decision-making with this. It's not a judge of their character or of any individual there, rather their messaging and decisions that I criticize. People can feel however they want about this and I respect that. Go nuts if you want to buy the Collector's version, that's up to you. Enjoy it, man.

ocean

Banned
Question for you all:

Imagine Destiny had launched with all of the content up to and including The Taken King. It's not a big stretch, considering Arena and "Hive Ship", along with nearly every area we've seen so far has been data mined or actually glitched into from the content on disk a year ago. Now I know they probably weren't done with everything yet, I'm not suggesting they cut stuff out (though it's possible), just that they had evidently started work or planning on it.

Had we gotten the complete Destiny package from the get-go, the original vision with all this stuff... Would it be worth US$140 to you?

The answer is yes for me btw, but this is a pretty damn expensive compared to the rest of the stuff out there.

Question for you all:

Imagine Destiny had launched with all of the content up to and including The Taken King. It's not a big stretch, considering Arena and "Hive Ship", along with nearly every area we've seen so far has been data mined or actually glitched into from the content on disk a year ago. Now I know they probably weren't done with everything yet, I'm not suggesting they cut stuff out (though it's possible), just that they had evidently started work or planning on it.

Had we gotten the complete Destiny package from the get-go, the original vision with all this stuff... Would it be worth US$140 to you?

The answer is yes for me btw, but this is a pretty damn expensive compared to the rest of the stuff out there.

I might be in the minority, but I would have almost preferred a sub. $10-15 a month as an option, and you get the expansions for "free". You could still play without a sub, but you'd need to buy the expansions. This might have given them more wiggle room with respect to adding more content monthly. The wait between Dark Below and House of Wolves was rough, and lots of people I know quit playing the game outright.

ocean

Banned
Deej should know better by now than to create expectations for the weekly update. If the "solution" disappoints it'll make matters worse than not having addressed it in the update at all. Get this

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/132459755/0/0

Some people will take this as a sign that they're changing their minds but I'm 99% sure it'll just be "look at how cool your VIP - I mean Founder's - items are! But yeah pay up if you want to dance".

The relevant part with Deej answering:

"I refuse to pay for what I already have and you should too."

That's your right, and we respect your freedom to make decisions about what you find valuable.

The Collector's Edition is mostly sold out, so the people who found that stuff valuable jumped at the chance. You'll likely see it sold on ebay for much more than what we're asking. But that's not the point. Right?

The real conversation here is: What are we doing to honor you, the players who have been bound to Destiny in this first year of action and adventure? I'm glad you asked. I'm going to answer in the Bungie Weekly Update.

Please stay tuned.

Siaynoqq

Just had one of the most fun trials runs ever with Tokems and Chowder. We were going for 5 wins and ended up 9-2. Lots of crazy matches and some really great comebacks with a lot of teamwork.

Finally got the final piece of trials gear (chest for Titan). Now only the eye of sol eludes me.

Deej should know better by now than to create expectations for the a weekly update. If the "solution" disappoints it'll make matters worse than not having addressed it in the update at all. Get this:

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/132459755/0/0

That's your right, and we respect your freedom to make decisions about what you find valuable.

The Collector's Edition is mostly sold out, so the people who found that stuff valuable jumped at the chance. You'll likely see it sold on ebay for much more than what we're asking. But that's not the point. Right?

The real conversation here is: What are we doing to honor you, the players who have been bound to Destiny in this first year of action and adventure? I'm glad you asked. I'm going to answer in the Bungie Weekly Update.

Please stay tuned.

Maybe next time they should hold off on selling their expansion before nailing down/revealing exactly what is in it and what's where and who gets what, and avoid this PR mess.

They don't have to explicitly say where you go or what you do, but hard numbers of what to expect in the DLC would have gone a long way.

Ken

Going further I'd say Osiris weapons should occupy a tier between legendary and exotic or just go full exotic, while changing all primary damage to kinetic to reinforce their use in PvP.

A safe and fun exotic perk could be:

The Summoner
Rapidly landing x hits in a single clip projects a walking decoy of yourself.

Going sillier:

The Messenger
Every x hit ricochets to nearby enemy Guardians.

Could even make that perk built into the gun like Icebreaker's ammo perk and make the second perk tree modify the base perk with stuff like increased ricochet bullet damage but reduced range, or decreased damage for longer bounce range. Even if it's not viable or broken, at least they'd feel like fitting rewards for 9-0.

deadduck

The standard legendary on day 1 cost me £90 ($142) in the UK. I'm coming up on 45 days play time, so yeah, it's been worth it already.

New players have got it good, but US players get it very cheap compared to the rest of us.

Future

I like the idea, I just see it hard to execute in Destiny mostly because of PvP. One of their big hurdles is keeping weapons tuned for both PvP and PvE. I think whichever class you give Hand Cannon buffs becomes the only class people use in PvP. I could be wrong, it could be done well if tuned well. It's definitely an interesting idea though since each character will soon have three classes. You'd get coverage of 9 weapon types (AR, HC, Pulse, Scout, Fusion, Shotty, Sniper, Machine, Rocket).

This is turning into dreamland but they could be tied to existing perks. For instance when you hit someone or something with a throwing knife if you have a fusion rifle equipped it automatically charges your weapon for instant firing. It's not this long lasting perk that is ever present, something that requires skill to trigger, and is only temporary. A more subtle implementation of this across the board.

Well, they need to elevate other weapons anyway to handcannon status. I love the fusion rifle example perk you say. Little things like that wouldn't Nerf weapons for other classes, but simply encourage the use of certain weapons. Class items having class specific perks related to certain weapon usage would be awesome.

While in fantasy land I wish certain weapons could push enemies backwards. See someone charging in? Slow them with an exotic autorifle or sidearm after landing x bullets. Give me more use cases for weapons other than simply damage output

deadduck

While in fantasy land I wish certain weapons could push enemies backwards. See someone charging in? Slow them with an exotic autorifle or sidearm after landing x bullets. Give me more use cases for weapons other than simply damage output

Blink suppression would be hilarious.

ocean

Banned
Well, they need to elevate other weapons anyway to handcannon status.
Oh god please no. The Last Word, Thorn and Hawmoon have changed the way this game feels far too drastically. Killing, at range, in 2 shots is insane. Time to kill is insanely low in current matches compared to launch because of the reliance on these weapons. Even Suros in its prime took longer to kill.

Look at the E3 gameplay videos. People using Auto Rifles, Scout Rifles, Side Arms, it looks fantastic. It takes more than one second to kill an enemy. It makes reaction possible (taking the definition of react to mean more than "blink").

If other weapon classes start doing HC style sub-1 second kills, the game we be way closer to CoD than Halo, in the bad sense.

blazeuk

Poor Blaze, I still remember your almost sure triple Fist of Havoc, only for you to bump into an enemy Warlock mid-air and ending up on the other side of the ship, that was hilarious XD

Best thing about that was someone did the exact same thing to me except instead of him hitting the floor and wasting the super like I did, he somehow managed to kill me even though I was mid air above the ship - this game is just so random sometimes.

hEist

dunno, i don't wanna join the discussion regarding the price (a real bummer for the brits) and how bungie treats the first year users. it's just sad.

Anyway just thought yesterday about the companion app and also about "our" ghosts, since there are no other shells for the ghosts, if you not purchased the CE Edtion last year, i think?

The fact that we got the "free" slots since day 1 and there are no other ghosts shells available so far is kinda sad. Since it could add some new features to the game by using the companion or better a seperate app like a "ghost app".
We all kinda hate dinklebot, not really helpful and often annoying. Always scanning and hacking into systems... but no real interaction with the player.

Why not add something like: everytime the ghosts scans something (or why we just don't scan it with our own smartphone, while holding it on our tv?) A new "minigame" is unlocked on the ghost app (maybe something like the "hacking" games in Watch_Dogs?)

If you solve more and more minigames, new shells are available for your ghost with new features like:
- Using items/consumables/synthesis on our ghost app while playing
- swapping weapons while playing (not in pvp)
- a better radar
- showing a map
- equipment of the enemy team (osiris pvp)

dunno, just thought about the ghosts and how i would use the companion/ghost app.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Did Skolas x2 this week got jack. :(

Got carried by nghtly again and got The Summoner in void again. :<

Ikkarus

Yes! Finally got the Osiris cloak to drop! Now all I need is the shader and the Solar Jewel and all will be well.

Who's up for 3x Nightfalls after the reset in 10 minutes?

TheOddOne

I went through the Eurogamer interview to see how everything was said in context. I respect the interviewer for just going straight at it. It might have come off a little harsh and intrusive, but asking these serious questions are needed in an industry that increasingly is doing these obnoxious practices. Luke is really a nice guy, but how he came across that interview—the repeat of PR lines and the talk about value proposition—did him no favors. It felt cold and dismissive. The issue of value proposition has haunted them since the launch of the game, and to see them fall into that trap again, something they knew people would question, is baffling. From the packaging to the messaging, everything sounds like a mess they could have avoided.

Best thing about that was someone did the exact same thing to me except instead of him hitting the floor and wasting the super like I did, he somehow managed to kill me even though I was mid air above the ship - this game is just so random sometimes.

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I have the same when I pop my super as a bladedancer and get almost two shotted, while it takes me a whole clip to kill one.
I'm just too scrubby with my Hunter :p

Siaynoqq

Yes! Finally got the Osiris cloak to drop! Now all I need is the shader and the Solar Jewel and all will be well.

Who's up for 3x Nightfalls after the reset in 10 minutes?

Aw now I can't ask you to check out this "really cool new cloak I just got" :p

Glad you finally got it man. I know you've been wanting that for a while. It's maybe my favorite cloak now -- enjoy.

Aw now I can't ask you to check out this "really cool new cloak I just got" :p

Glad you finally got it man. I know you've been wanting that for a while. It's maybe my favorite cloak now -- enjoy.

Haha I knew it was you who mentioned that, I couldn't remember if it was ikkarus or not, I told him about it regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom