• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
your right, no matter what is said, it would just add fuel to fire. This is internet rage. It will cool down by Thursday.

Then again the gaming side thread hasnt slowed down much over the last day.
I would more germanely wager that Bungie is counting on the fact that it will cool down by September 15th.

Deku Tree

Sounds like a lot of people want to wear Luke's ass like a hat.

I'm a day 1 player and still play nearly every day, but I'm not sure I'll get The Taken King at all. I'm ok with the $40 for it, but I'm getting sick of the grind to reach max level every 3 months. I wish they'd just release content packs that just have new strikes/missions/raids/weapons, but no level increases. I want to enjoy being max level and max weapons for than a month or two at a time.

I play a lot. But I was Max level 32 by early January and I got to stay there until Mid May when HoW came out. And then I was level 34 on three toons before the end of May and I'll stay there until Sept. 15. That's more than a month or too.

But I get your point. Other people who play more causally will take longer to reach max level. If you do a PoE 32 each week, which takes 30 minutes to an hour, you can reach max level in four weeks. If you play well in ToO you can get there much faster.

I would be all for hearing about a different leveling system for Destiny. But I don't know what it would be.... The whole structure of the game is designed at it's core around grinding for the new stuff. I'm not sure the game's new content each DLC would have the same appeal if there wasn't a level increase.

PuMa

To settle many of us down would require them to fix their broken ass currency exchange system. Not even EA tries to swindle us like this, and when you make EA look good you know you dun fucked up.

I don't even understand this comparison in the least.

That would be a cute exotic gauntlet perk. Shots that hit split into three that hit again for ~25% damage each. Call the gloves "The Wolfmother" or some such. Give them to Titans for maximum salt lol

Edit: Hmm even a teensy bit of bonus damage proc'ing every shot would make high-rof ARs and PRs seriously competitive :O

Yeah it would be sweet!

High RoF AR's are useless now and they were useless before.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There isn't a single microtransaction in the game. The currency exchange isn't for ACTUAL currency. Jesus Christ.
He's talking about the fact that the DLC pricing establishes a 1 dollar = 1 pound (or euro, I forget where Daemul is in the world) conversion when they aren't equivalent in purchasing power.
???

What are you talking about?
He thought you were talking about the in-game currency exchange.

Deku Tree

There isn't a single microtransaction in the game. The currency exchange isn't for ACTUAL currency. Jesus Christ.

He's talking about how much the expansion costs in really money his country. It costs a lot more than $40. I am not sure who is to blame for this or why the cost is so much more for them.

LiK

I feel bad for him. Some of his answers were not great, and he was not the right person to be talking about that subject (that's Deej territory). But even the guy that gave the Eurogamer interview has noted it's gotten out of hand:

7BBa8r0.png

Deej has his hands full with the BWU this week.

At the same time - this is a wholly self-inflicted wound. The absurd digital CE pricing, the needless exclusive digital bits that are different from the bits given to year 1 players. None of it was a good idea and I still can't figure out how they didn't anticipate significant blowback regardless of the messaging.

I feel like Bungie and Activision have lost touch with their customers on value. Give people some crumbs but charge them a premium. They also keep wanting new customers but treat long time players like trash. It wasn't until people screamed at them for their perks reset BS that they changed it.

Just poor planning all around.

To settle many of us down would require them to fix their broken ass currency exchange system. Not even EA tries to swindle us like this, and when you make EA look good you know you dun fucked up.

I think he's referring to the pricing parity between the US and other countries... Which isn't an EA issue in isolation, but you'll see that in a lot of media more and more. $40 =/= £40, or so it goes.

zewone

I really think people are making way too big of a deal out of those items in the CE edition.

They're mainly cosmetic. At this point they might as well bend the knee to the internet hate machine because it's not worth the trouble of sticking to their guns.

Deku Tree

Scholar is almost identical to the Badger CCL from TDB. If you look at the stats, you'd have to believe it's nothing more than a reskinned CCL with an elemental damage if you have the Adept version.

Badger CCL was/is a nice Scout Rifle (one of my favorites), so I'm really looking forward to replacing WoC with a Void Scholar. But I haven't been lucky enough yet.

Badger CCL: 61 Impact, 27 RoF, 14 Mag, 40 Stability, 77 Range, 57 Reload, 39 AA
Scholar: 61 Impact, 27 RoF, 13 Mag, 40 Stability, 77 Range, 58 Reload, 40 AA

The perks also make my elemental Void Scholar really good too. I am not sure if you can roll a scout rifle with all the perks on the Scholar or not (I don't think you can) but I really like the perk combo that it has...

I really think people are making way too big of a deal out of those items in the CE edition.

They're mainly cosmetic. At this point they might as well bend the knee to the internet hate machine because it's not worth the trouble of sticking to their guns.

I can't wait for these items to be revealed and for them to be massively underwhelming compared to the "demand for value" that folks have self generated. They'll be fun items for sure... But cosmetic at maximum. Plus there'll be new and better rewards for long term players anyway... People are too quick to jump off the cliff.

LTWood12

???

What are you talking about?

He's talking about the fact that the DLC pricing establishes a 1 dollar = 1 pound (or euro, I forget where Daemul is in the world) conversion when they aren't equivalent in purchasing power.

He means that you are being charged $40, whereas we are being charged £40. Which is closer to $60.

He's talking about actual currency.

He's talking about how much the expansion costs in really money his country. It costs a lot more than $40. I am not sure who is to blame for this or why the cost is so much more for them.

I think he's referring to the pricing parity between the US and other countries... Which isn't an EA issue in isolation, but you'll see that in a lot of media more and more. $40 =/= £40, or so it goes.

Apologies Daemul. I read the statement as 'in-game currency exchange,' and was thus baffled as I thought you were implying that you were somehow being swindled out of ACTUAL currency in-game.

I feel like a jack-ass. Yes, the way games and DLC are priced outside of the United States is really awful.

EU store updates on Wednesdays, so DC PS+ Edition isn't available just yet, but I'm now tempted by the £19.99 full game version.

Buy it.

Honestly the game and the support Evolution has given it is amazing.

The internet outrage machine is running at full power today I see.

Uhhhhh....

The outrage is about the fact that UK people are having to pay over 50% extra for the exact content, digital or not.

You pay $40.

We pay $63.

That is not ok.

Daemul

Ah, that makes sens. I was wondering what the hell was going on when he started talking about microtransactions.

Bungie/Activision are to blame. Other devs and publishers, even the money gougers EA, charge us the proper price for their DLC and expansions, I have no idea why Bungie and Acitivision see the need to be different though.

He means that while you are being charged $40, we are being charged £40. Which is closer to $60.

He's talking about actual currency.

Yep, me, Fig and other DestinyGAF Brits are being ripped off heavily and being the charged the price a brand new game goes for in the UK, which was actually what the main focus of the Eurogamer article was before it got turned into an emote whine fest.

I missed my chance at getting 7 wins this past weekend. I actually didn't get above 5. So I missed getting my 1st messenger. I just need the boots on 1 char I think. Might on the others if there's heavy ammo.

Losing in trials gets old, fast. It's all about the team too. Some teams jive better than others.

Missed you and Hellgast this past weekend. Only got 1 run in but it went well. My Neglected Titan is only missing the boots now.

Daemul

Apologies Daemul. I read the statement as 'in-game currency exchange,' and was thus baffled as I thought you were implying that you were somehow being swindled out of ACTUAL currency in-game.

I feel like a jack-ass. Yes, the way games and DLC are priced outside of the United States is really awful.

No worries man, I should have been more specific.

September is so far away... Plenty of time to get the whole picture. We're a week out of e3 and the most vocal
minority
of gamers ever are losing their minds without letting Bungie run-through their whole marketing blitz.... The next step which is in their weekly update.

I don't really get this "wait and let them tell you" idea when Bungie/Activision isn't waiting to take our pre-orders. They announced the price and CE goodies immediately after the first trailer. And it's not like you can be asked to wait anyway, since the Physical CE sold out immediately. (And as DeeJ oh so helpfully reminded us, it's now twice as much on eBay.)

I also don't get the "wait" approach since if you wait til September, it's too late to change anything. By voicing our complaints now, we give Bungie time to make things right. (Please understand, this does not mean I'm okay with the vitriol and cries for people to be fired.)

If Bungie's pitch relied on going through the whole marketing plan, they should wait on taking our money too.

This is Bungie's mess, through and through.

LTWood12

To all of my European brothers & sisters, I sincerely apologize for giving the impression that I was unsympathetic to the bullshit exhange rate when it comes to game retail & DLC.

I've spent many a Euro, Krown (is that how it's spelled?), Swiss Franc, and Pound as a temporary resident and visitor to the old continent; and was always baffled at how expensive everything was.

Do other games price things in this way? Is TAX included in the UK price?

Yes tax is included.

However, Tax is at 20%.

So we are still getting gouged regardless.

Destiny is so far over and above normal pricing over here it's not even funny anymore.

Edit: With some napkin math, the price that the stand alone TTK 'should' be is around £30, including Tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom