• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydruxo

Just caught up on the Redbull thread. My God, what has Bungie done.

It's one thing to have pricing/bundle concerns with the value proposition of certain offerings, but this is a new low. Tying a quest or game activity behind an unrelated beverage purchase is baffling. I hate this practice and I refuse to support it. Such a bad PR week for this game. It's getting embarrassing to be a steadfast player of the game.

The pricing stuff is awful, but the red bull promo doesn't really bother me. The quest is probably going to be lame anyways.

That being said, I agree it's been a baaaad week for Destiny. Deej really has his work cut out for him with that update tomorrow.

If it's not one thing, it's ten others.

Bungie is Satan and bad at video games confirmed

Nailed it! Classic rich get richer. Bungie did the right thing, and this is coming from someone who has gone to the Lighthouse. I want more people to be able to experience that!

So why not just have coins given to players who lose and be done with it? Why punish players who do get to mercury? Win-win. This change just makes better players have to grind more. It's not like I go flawless every time I go to mercury. Some times we will go 6-0 and then lose a game or two and then exchange that passage and start over. That's 9 passage coins lost from that passage, and now a "chance" at a coin from that loss? Why? Oh right, so I can grind the dailies for them. The way it worked before I had more coins from my previous flawless from mercury chest last week to spend to try again. It's a stupid change.

latest

YO ! I would like to, no, I WANT TO do Vault of Glass on normal right now ! Anybody on PS4 who can help I, ask for your assistance. I haven't done any of these big raids and I am REALLY anxious to try them out, mic or no mic I don't care, I will hook up mine, just come and help me, please :)

my profile: mcz2345

edit: once the servers are back up, of course.

I would love to be a part of this but I'm at work right now.

I need to run 2 HM VoGs this week.

Going to take like two hours finished downloading that's why

Oh. Right. Forgot about that. Maybe Driveclub?

Admodieus

Looking to get a group together for VoG hard, CE hard, or both tonight starting around 7 PM or 8PM Eastern. Let me know if interested and for which raid(s)

1) Southwark (PSN: Admodieus) - Both
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)

phen0m24

That's 3 coins a day. You get 21 coins a week from that. Add the coins you get from packages across 3 characters and you still have coins left over for the following week after getting all buffs for every character.

Again, what's the problem?

I was just pointing out there are additional ways to get coins. I get mine from dailies. I've accumulated about 60 of them now.

I suck at Trials and have my dreams crushed often - not counting last week's fun with Unstable and Wicked

Yes,let's take coins away from people putting in the extra effort to get to Mercury.

This is exactly the right direction for this game. Down the fucking drain.

mcz117chief

Ok, Vault of Glass on normal once the servers are up on PS4

1) mcz117chief (psn mcz2345)
2) CREMSteve
3)
4) jayforone HM VOG
5)
6)

C'mon, lads. Fill 'em up !

zewone

That's 3 coins a day. You get 21 coins a week from that. Add the coins you get from packages across 3 characters and you still have coins left over for the following week after getting all buffs for every character.

Flip that around. If the people who normally lose at Trials can get 21 coins a week, what's the problem?

bitsurugi

About coins:

IMO it's a bad idea to have coins anyway. Just delete 'em from the game. They are whining that we can't have more vault space, due to performance issues, yet we CONSTANTLY have new currencies. Why, for the love of god, why?!

Just use glimmer or motes or whatever to buy buffs. We WANT bad players to play more ToO, so more ppl will go to Mercury. Bad players now try, fail, run out of coins, never join again. Give em a chance, just make that everyone can use the buffs, that's why they are there for anyway. TBH, not that Mercury is such a big deal nowadays, it maybe was the 1st few weeks.

What we still seek in ToO? Fun, thrill, satisfaction at the wins. So we WANT more ppl to play in ToO. Thus, kill coins, make ppl use buffs and try, how many times they got the will. This is also why the card is measly 100 glimmer.

They should just add coin drops at every match, coins SHOULD be frequent (or removed - see above).

ocean

Banned
......I'm sorry, I didn't know coins were a limited thing that only the winner gets. Here I was, thinking that it was just a random drop not decided by who got coins already.

It's punishing good players. That is all it is. There is no discernible reason to remove the coin reward from the chest, except to make good players grind more.
Good players will be getting enough booms from one Mercury trip even without that chest from the tier packages, random Crucible matches and the guaranteed ones from daily Crucible mode. I play Crucible every day and Trials every weekend. Never had to grind for coins because I always have enough. Sure I won't have 80 in my vault like Triple Mercury every week players do, but I doubt they'll even notice.

LTWood12

Why the hell does this have to be a zero-sum adjustment? Why not add the chance for coins to drop more frequently across all trials matches, win or lose?

This adjustment is incredibly petty. Instead of buffing the drop rate of elemental primaries on Skolas, they decide to take away passage coins from the Mercury chest?

I don't play crucible. I never do the dailies unless I'm levelling a piece of gear.

I only play Trials. This patch just punished me for being a good player. Now I have to grind more to get coins. It's not like I'm going flawless every time - with my group we lose maybe one or two matches every 15 games or so. That's a huge shift in coin rewards for people who don't normally grind crucible for coins. Should have just added coins for losers and been done with it. What a questionable decision...

Why are people so salty about the Red Bull thing? It's not like this is the first time something like this has happened. They did it with Halo, Call of Duty....

Namikaze1

I'm fucking glad they did this. Hope they don't change it due to whining from the "good players".

You still have additional ways to get the freaking coins. If you don't like grinding, deal with it. Grind alongside the people you been forcing to grind each week.

I'm done here. Going back to Batman before I lose it.

Good players will be getting enough booms from one Mercury trip even without that chest from the tier packages, random Crucible matches and the guaranteed ones from daily Crucible mode. I play Crucible every day and Trials every weekend. Never had to grind for coins because I always have enough. Sure I won't have 80 in my vault like Triple Mercury every week players do, but I doubt they'll even notice.

And then there are players who can get to Mercury, but usual require a few resets of their pass and have to grind for coins.

I think the issue is there's only 2 extremes you're looking at-The losers who never get over 2 wins and need to get carried even for the armor piece, and the victors who can go 9-0 twenty times in a row because they're so perfect.

You forget about the people in the middle who have to actually try to get to mercury, they're the ones who get hurt by this.

From the Halo OT
which is part-time Destiny OT
:

The dumbest part about the whole thing is that the gaming side thread about the Redbull has over 40k views, the Kotaku article has over 80k views, and the reddit thread has over 1000 comments, which means that ad has been seen well over 120K times by its exact target market within a few hours. It's exactly what they wanted.

This is more than likely exactly what was planned lol.

zewone

About coins:

IMO it's a bad idea to have coins anyway. Just delete 'em from the game. They are whining that we can't have more vault space, due to performance issues, yet we CONSTANTLY have new currencies. Why, for the love of god, why?!

Just use glimmer or motes or whatever to buy buffs. We WANT bad players to play more ToO, so more ppl will go to Mercury. Bad players now try, fail, run out of coins, never join again. Give em a chance, just make that everyone can use the buffs, that's why they are there for anyway. TBH, not that Mercury is such a big deal nowadays, it maybe was the 1st few weeks.

What we still seek in ToO? Fun, thrill, satisfaction at the wins. So we WANT more ppl to play in ToO. Thus, kill coins, make ppl use buffs and try, how many times they got the will. This is also why the card is measly 100 glimmer.

They should just add coin drops at every match, coins SHOULD be frequent (or removed - see above).

This I agree with.

phen0m24

I apologize in advance if this comes out wrong, but remember when Trials started and you had the vast majority of us kinda ticked off that the new guns (Solar Jewel, Messenger)etc were behind the ToO wall? Especially considering how crappy the elemental primary drop rate is from Skolas?

Now Bungie decided the PvP folks can't be happy either. Lol

OT◇25|A House Divided Part Deux

I'm fucking glad they did this. Hope they don't change it due to whining from the "good players".

You still have additional ways to get the freaking coins. If you don't like grinding, deal with it. Grind alongside the people you been forcing to grind each week.

Oh now I get it.

And then there are players who can get to Mercury, but usual require a few resets of their pass and have to grind for coins.

I think the issue is there's only 2 extremes you're looking at-The losers who never get over 2 wins and need to get carried even for the armor piece, and the victors who can go 9-0 twenty times in a row because they're so perfect.

You forget about the people in the middle who have to actually try to get to mercury, they're the ones who get hurt by this.

Exactly. I go flawless with my group after 2 maybe 3 tries each week. That's 18 coins. But we used get most of that back. Now we are forced to grind for those coins that was perfectly fine before.

bitsurugi

Some ppl use like 27 or more coin per character per week.

A friend of mine, spent 9, failed, got 5 wins, tried to do another run, spent 9, got 7 or 8 wins, then at the 3rd attempt he got it. He spent 27 coins and got much less.

I know more average ppl who spend even more or are afraid to retry, since they spent too much. TBH this is not a good system, esp since the card is measly 100 glimmer and Bungie personally stated that they want ppl to try as much as they want.

For me, this won't have any impact, since i got now like 200 extra coins, so i don't care, but i know many ppl who would love to try more times, but they can't since they are out of coins for buffs and buffs are needed for average to bad pvp players to help em get to 7/8/9 wins.

So why not just have coins given to players who lose and be done with it? Why punish players who do get to mercury? Win-win. This change just makes better players have to grind more. It's not like I go flawless every time I go to mercury. Some times we will go 6-0 and then lose a game or two and then exchange that passage and start over. That's 9 passage coins lost from that passage, and now a "chance" at a coin from that loss? Why? Oh right, so I can grind the dailies for them. The way it worked before I had more coins from my previous flawless from mercury chest last week to spend to try again. It's a stupid change.

Where is the punishment though?

If I'm getting to Mercury, I've already won. I don't need more coins for anything. I can buy tickets without any of the buffs and still help people along.

Getting a second 9-0 ticket does absolutely nothing.

There is litereally no reason for a player who has already been to mercury, to worry about this.

They are not losing out on anything. If they are purchasing buffs a second time, they're dumb for doing so.

Some ppl use like 27 or more coin per character per week.

A friend of mine, spent 9, failed, got 5 wins, tried to do another run, spent 9, got 7 or 8 wins, then at the 3rd attempt he got it. He spent 27 coins and got much less.

I know more average ppl who spend even more or are afraid to retry, since they spent too much. TBH this is not a good system, esp since the card is measly 100 glimmer and Bungie personally stated that they want ppl to try as much as they want.

For me, this won't have any impact, since i got now like 200 extra coins, so i don't care, but i know many ppl who would love to try more times, but they can't since they are out of coins for buffs and buffs are needed for average to bad pvp players to help em get to 7/8/9 wins.
Edit: nevermind, I misread.

Your friend, in this scenario,is likely going to receive the same amount of coins he did for those initial losses, as he did for actually making it to Mercury on his 3rd attempt.

Trakan

Are you actually reading the posts? People are mad that coins are being taken away from winning players. Most people haven't said anything about losing players getting coins. On top of that, losing players could get the 21 coins per week you mentioned just like winning players could, so I don't see how that has anything to do with this change.

Oh now I get it.

Mhm.

It's like.....when I did trials, I wasn't perfect. I didn't get 9-0 the first time running it, I had to grind coins for a couple hours in order to get enough coins on a Sunday in order to buy all the boons.

I can get to Mercury, sometimes I get in a groove and do very well. But I don't have enough time nor do I want to spend enough time grinding out coins, so the chest reward of coins was really nice. So this punishes someone like me, more than it punishes people who get perfect 9-0s. Those perfect players that always get to Mercury? They're still going to get to Mercury because these people don't need coins to begin with. Those people who have to actually struggle to Mercury and can't get carried by a professional PvP player? Those are the ones that are going to get punished.

Are you actually reading the posts? People are mad that coins are being taken away from winning players. Most people haven't said anything about losing players getting coins. On top of that, losing players could get the 21 coins per week you mentioned just like winning players could, so I don't see how that has anything to do with this change.

He literally wants people to grind more. Like...the fuck kinda logic is that?

EL CUCO

From the Halo OT
which is part-time Destiny OT
:

This is more than likely exactly what was planned lol.
The company that brought you Call of Duty, ladies and gentlemen. Bungie knew exactly who they were partnering with when all this started. Marketing masters.

zewone

lol there is literally zero good reasons to remove coins from the chest.

GhaleonEB

I'm all for giving losing players more coins.

But it doesn't make sense to remove the coin reward for people who go to Mercury. Coins aren't a finite thing that can be only given to one or the other.

We can only speculate since Bungie isn't offering up the "why" part of this patch, but I'm guessing from the actions taken that they saw winners piling up passage coins, and losers running out, and decided to hit both sides of the equation. Giving losers a pass to try again, and winners loot, makes sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom