• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's ridiculous and you must be a Bungie shill. Without coins, how can we win?!

I cant win with them, I gave up on trials a couple week a ago.

Ill probably try again this weekend

The coins only serve to get less skilled players like myself an incentive to try again after we turn in a 0-3 passage.

The point of alternate currencies in any MMO-style game is to maintain activity and push people toward certain content. The objective of Passage Coins is to get more people to at least do the Crucible daily, and hopefully play even more Crucible after that. That's something that can't be accomplished with just Glimmer. Also, if they were to change everything to use Glimmer, people would flock to the most efficient Glimmer farming method possible, decreasing the overall diversity of players' activity.

The key is to either have a slot for currencies that doesn't take up inventory space (i.e. Vanguard/Crucible Marks) or just give us more god damn inventory space.

*throws money passage coins at the screen*

I'll be back on in a couple hours, need to continue to grind PVP, I'm bound to get better.... right? lol

I used to suck terribly but I kept at it and now I'm usually always in the positive! Try try and try again. Also helps to have a good team instead of playing with randoms.

I'll be back on in a couple hours, need to continue to grind PVP, I'm bound to get better.... right? lol

Thats what I keep telling myself.
Sometimes Ill get back to back 18-24 kill games. and then right back down to 6-12 kill games. I cant measure if I am getting better. or just get lazier over a couple matches

bitsurugi

Since Crucible marks are now useless anyway, why not use them for ToO buffs instead of coins?

It accomplishes both: makes you play crucible during the week, if you want buffs, and it also make a use of a currency which we all now have maxed.

Edit: and also removes a currency - thus a precious inventory slot.

Since Crucible marks are now useless anyway, why not use them for ToO buffs instead of coins?

It accomplishes both: makes you play crucible during the week, if you want buffs, and it also make a use of a currency which we all now have maxed.

Well the coins are part of the lore... And part of why Osiris wants Guardians finding their way to the Lighthouse. Ol' Shaxx and his marks aren't good enough.

Agent

So much Destiny anger lately. The coins change is silly, why not leave them at Mercury and add them to the losing side if it is that big of an issue. I'd imagine people who have played Trials since launch have a stockpile saved by this point so I suppose it won't be an initial shock.

In more lighthearted news, I just made the best pizza for lunch.

jbHw6Pb.jpg

y8W5bwW.png

The thing is, nobody is 'really' upset. It's just clearly dumb, but it's offering a quest for $2.50...

I dunno, I get the outrage, but this is so going to be a non-story in 2 months because, in the end, who gives a shit?

Preach. Taken from Gaming side.

Personally I really don't see what the outrage is about here. This is not something new. Dorritos and Mtn Dew, anyone?

Good point, both crucible and vanguard marks are useless now...should at least have them changeable for weapon parts, passage coins and other currencies.

Kyoufu

Preach. Taken from Gaming side.

Personally I really don't see what the outrage is about here. This is not something new. Dorritos and Mtn Dew, anyone?

The issue for me is that the game is in dire need of content and a lot of it is already fragmented between console versions as it is so this is just another blow below that belt. I'm not that upset though because it'll be available for everyone in January, but still, kind of shitty.

Then again this isn't the first shitty thing to happen with Destiny.

mcz117chief

Vault of Glass, normal mode, final slot

1) mcz117chief (psn mcz2345)
2) CREMSteve
3)
4) jayforone HM VOG
5) mil6es
6) Kojirospath

Traveler told me that there is some special loot waiting for you at the end ;)

Packages only give you 8 coins total. A flawless l33t 9-0 player will be down 1 coin each time (assuming he/she uses them). If there's a hiccup, which can happen to anyone and the card has to be restarted, then that player is now down 10 coins, assuming purchase of all 3 boons.

It's punishing.

It is.

I've spent all my coins trying to go flawless this week (including the coins from the packages), and now I'm on my "last chance" passage (not good enough to go 9-0 without the buffs) after spending my last 9 coins. Before, if I went flawless here (7-1), it meant I'd get my coins back from the Mercury chest, at least 9 anyway, which is enough to try again next week. It made sense. Now, I basically have to grind dailies or regular crucible (which I don't enjoy) in order to get enough coins to buy the buffs next week. This makes no sense. Mercury chest was basically the only way I was coming out with a net positive for coins since I don't play crucible otherwise.

Or have an exchange system from Marks to Coins. Anything so that I don't have to play crucible to get coins for next week. bleh...

Heh, RNG I guess. I've only received 3 coins once from crucible. Still looking for that matador though....

My goal was getting a Matador as well, but it just won't drop for me. I guess it will drop for me once there is a better shotgun out there :p
How is it going with your Titan?

very infrequent. seems like legendary drops happen more than coins.

the worst is when the dude in last place who went 3 and 14 gets 3 coins.

That was me today, sorry! Didn't go 3-14 though, more like 5-7 as I joined late :p

panicmy8.gif

Somehow Iv learned how not to give a fuck about any of this stuff that's happened. Makes playing the game more enjoyable.

Tho Crota will always make me salty.

Deku Tree

I have 101 passage coins. And I don't play ToO too much. I just like doing the daily crucible. Gotta get them motes of light. These changes don't really affect me.

Bungie must have some meta design principle about how many passage coins they want to give out in total each week. So in order to give some to losers they need to take some away from winners

I have 101 passage coins. And I don't play ToO too much. I just like doing the daily crucible. Gotta get them motes of light. These changes don't really affect me.

Bungie must have some meta design principle about how many passage coins they want to give out in total each week. So in order to give some to losers they need to take some away from winners

To me, it's basically a case of fixing what ain't broken. I hope they reconsider. The coins on loss is a nice change, anyway.

To gently ask again: What are you people doing with your avatars and why.

Expressing their love for JJ Abrams.

[long pause]

No idea...

it's their whole crazy 'economy' belief. This game doesn't have an economy in anyway but they treat it as if it does. They've done it before and they're doing it again. They're insane at this point.

To gently ask again: What the hell are you people doing with your avatars and why.
We are the tooken. The army of the Money King.

MUHAHAHAHAH

it's their whole crazy 'economy' belief. This game doesn't have an economy in anyway but they treat it as if it does. They've done it before and they're doing it again. They're insane at this point.
I always laugh at the way they think they have an economy.

Why the hell does this have to be a zero-sum adjustment?

Yeah that's basically my take as well, not sure why all the disagreements. I agree with Bits that Coins should be simplified or even removed as a currency. The main determinant for continuing to play Trials should be whether or not you want to play, not if you have enough currency to consider it worth your time. Being forced to grind daily Crucible during the week is a bad solution because it's exactly that: a grind.

Destiny needs to keep encouraging people to play because they want to, not because they feel their arm being twisted. Even if that leads to fewer total hours played, you want players to leave happy (temporary) instead of rage quitting (permanent). HoW brought a lot of improvements in this area but they still have work to do, which generates this resentment. Every conversation devolves into this same Us vs. Them mindset, from emotes to energy drinks to passage coins.

NastyBook

Damn, forgot I got my second G-Horn from Valus Ta'Glassjaw yesterday. Also got the Zoba Special from the Cryptarch, so I can't wait to level that up.

But if they add trading...

...then maybe...

...no I got nothing. Still dumb. But I'm just a whiner for not lapping up what Bungie are dishing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom