• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is the punishment though?

If I'm getting to Mercury, I've already won. I don't need more coins for anything. I can buy tickets without any of the buffs and still help people along.

Getting a second 9-0 ticket does absolutely nothing.

There is litereally no reason for a player who has already been to mercury, to worry about this.

They are not losing out on anything. If they are purchasing buffs a second time, they're dumb for doing so.

Or maybe we just don't go flawless instantly with every passage?

It takes us a few tries.

Say we have a streak of 6 wins on our first passage and then lose 2 games (that happens often with us when we choke). That's 9 coins for the first passage, and then another 9 for the second trying to go flawless. Before, we could use the coins we received from last week's Mercury chest to try again. This is just increasing the amount of grinding we have to do.

I don't play crucible. I'm a PvE player that comes for Trials and Iron Banner. This is doing nothing but increasing the amount of grinding I have to do for coins. It's dumb.

Mhm.

It's like.....when I did trials, I wasn't perfect. I didn't get 9-0 the first time running it, I had to grind coins for a couple hours in order to get enough coins on a Sunday in order to buy all the boons.

I can get to Mercury, sometimes I get in a groove and do very well. But I don't have enough time nor do I want to spend enough time grinding out coins, so the chest reward of coins was really nice. So this punishes someone like me, more than it punishes people who get perfect 9-0s. Those perfect players that always get to Mercury? They're still going to get to Mercury because these people don't need coins to begin with. Those people who have to actually struggle to Mercury and can't get carried by a professional PvP player? Those are the ones that are going to get punished.

Actually it depends on the drop rate of coins from losses. You could end up getting coins at the same or possibly greater rate from losing in Trials depending on what they set it at.

We can only speculate since Bungie isn't offering up the "why" part of this patch, but I'm guessing from the actions taken that they saw winners piling up passage coins, and losers running out, and decided to hit both sides of the equation. Giving losers a pass to try again, and winners loot, makes sense to me.

More than likely, given my census amongst friends I play with. Those of us who win a lot and have been to the Lighthouse have plenty of coins, but my friends who don't win a lot of games rarely have enough coins for one single card.

We can only speculate since Bungie isn't offering up the "why" part of this patch, but I'm guessing from the actions taken that they saw winners piling up passage coins, and losers running out, and decided to hit both sides of the equation. Giving losers a pass to try again, and winners loot, makes sense to me.

But it doesn't make sense from a design point.

Winners are going to get to mercury with or without the boons. Losers require those boons. Those are 2 sides of the coin. What about the people in the middle who sometimes need to get lucky to win, who need the boon as a safety net because they're not as good to win 9 in a row?

It's a baffling change. If coins were finite I could understand the change, but they're not. If person A has 90 coins stocked up, and person B has 0 coins because they can't win, so you take away the reward of coins, the only person who's going to be hurt by this is person C who has 7 coins and needs to grind out coins in order to try their best to get to Mercury.

Actually it depends on the drop rate of coins from losses. You could end up getting coins at the same or possibly greater rate from losing in Trials depending on what they set it at.

That'd be a first.

"LF 2 to have losing streaks in Trials in order to farm coins."

LTWood12

This weekend I expect to see a number of teams going in and just losing on purpose to pile up passage coins; then once they've accumulated enough, actually trying to win. Surely they realize this.

LTWood12

But it doesn't make sense from a design point.

Winners are going to get to mercury with or without the boons. Losers require those boons. Those are 2 sides of the coin. What about the people in the middle who sometimes need to get lucky to win, who need the boon as a safety net because they're not as good to win 9 in a row?

It's a baffling change. If coins were finite I could understand the change, but they're not. If person A has 90 coins stocked up, and person B has 0 coins because they can't win, so you take away the reward of coins, the only person who's going to be hurt by this is person C who has 7 coins and needs to grind out coins in order to try their best to get to Mercury.

You are exactly right. This is not some finite resource. You don't have to take from one and give to the other. Just buff the drop rate across the board and be done with it.

Admodieus

I'd be down for both, shouldn't have any trouble getting home by then. Haven't done CE before though if that's okay

Shouldn't be a problem. CE is cake now that everyone is 33/34

VoG HM/CE HM 7PM/8PM Eastern:

1) Southwark (PSN: Admodieus) - Both
2) rc213 - Both
3) jayforone HM VOG
4) Baliis
5)
6)

It takes us a few tries.

Say we have a streak of 6 wins on our first passage and then lose 2 games (that happens often with us when we choke). That's 9 coins for the first passage, and then another 9 for the second trying to go flawless. Before, we could use the coins we received from last week's Mercury chest to try again. This is just increasing the amount of grinding we have to do.

I don't play crucible. I'm a PvE player that comes for Trials and Iron Banner. This is doing nothing but increasing the amount of grinding I have to do for coins. It's dumb.

You would have a chance to get some coins from your losses on your non-flawless run.. and you would get coins from the vendor when you turn in your 6 wins card and get the Bronze, Silver, Gold whatchamacallits.

Rubenov

This weekend I expect to see a number of teams going in and just losing on purpose to pile up passage coins; then once they've accumulated enough, actually trying to win. Surely they realize this.

Yep. Not a bad idea, actually. Just Nechrochasm the whole thing and have some fun while at it.

It takes us a few tries.

I'd say this is a hard thing to argue for the time being. The few tries it takes you means you're losing matches, and we don't yet know how generous the coins are for losing. The amount you get for a loss might negate this whole argument.

My team goes "6-0" after spending 9 coins on buffs. Then we lose 2 matches and we're out. Last week, we'd have 9 coins from that Mercury chest to try another passage for the 9-0 (actually 7-1, with the boons). Now we get no coins from the mercury chest because blah, and a "chance" at more coins for those 2 losses (are we getting 9? Probably not).

I'd say this is a hard thing to argue for the time being. The few tries it takes you means you're losing matches, and we don't yet know how generous the coins are for losing. The amount you get for a loss might negate this whole argument.

True. But I'm highly doubting I'm going to get 9 coins guaranteed from those 2 losses in my above example. It's just going to increase the amount of grinding my group would need to do before buying the insurance boons and what not. I guess we'll have to see. Too bad Bungie doesn't explain their reasoning in patches ever.

About coins:

IMO it's a bad idea to have coins anyway. Just delete 'em from the game. They are whining that we can't have more vault space, due to performance issues, yet we CONSTANTLY have new currencies. Why, for the love of god, why?!

Just use glimmer or motes or whatever to buy buffs. We WANT bad players to play more ToO, so more ppl will go to Mercury. Bad players now try, fail, run out of coins, never join again. Give em a chance, just make that everyone can use the buffs, that's why they are there for anyway. TBH, not that Mercury is such a big deal nowadays, it maybe was the 1st few weeks.

What we still seek in ToO? Fun, thrill, satisfaction at the wins. So we WANT more ppl to play in ToO. Thus, kill coins, make ppl use buffs and try, how many times they got the will. This is also why the card is measly 100 glimmer.

They should just add coin drops at every match, coins SHOULD be frequent (or removed - see above).

Bitsurugi for president! Totally agree.

You would have a chance to get some coins from your losses on your non-flawless run.. and you would get coins from the vendor when you turn in your 6 wins card and get the Bronze, Silver, Gold whatchamacallits.

And what if he ends up going through 3 passages and still doesn't get to Mercury? No more coins from packages, he's low on coins, his only option is to hop into another character and sacrifice that toons coins, or grind out PvP for the *hope* of getting coins.

Or going on a losing streak at Trials(Which I mean...the coins aren't guaranteed to drop. It'll probably be a low chance.) And who the hell wants to go on losing streaks?

Makes sense to me. Now if only the 100 or so trials coins I'm going to accumulate this weekend would actually help me get better at trials.

mcz117chief

Looking for more people to play Vault of Glass on normal.

1) mcz117chief (psn mcz2345)
2) CREMSteve
3)
4) jayforone HM VOG
5) mil6es
6) Kojirospath
we-want-you.jpg

bitsurugi

Where is the punishment though?

Edit: nevermind, I misread.

Your friend, in this scenario,is likely going to receive the same amount of coins he did for those initial losses, as he did for actually making it to Mercury on his 3rd attempt.

This will mostly depend from the drop rate and the ammount on loosing matches. I hope they made a system, where the more you play, the more you get, so there is no instance, where you can't buy buffs for new retries.

But then again, why even need the coins in such a system anyway... thus see my point a page or so back, they should just remove coins. ToO is fun. I am loving it. Don't need anything, but i would love more and more ppl to play it, not just super tryhards. We'll see tomorrow how it is, ALSO:

might see ppl farming for coins; buy ticket for 100 glimmer, buy no buffs, play drunk, loose here and there... at the end of the day, you got lots of coins :p

ocean

Banned
And then there are players who can get to Mercury, but usual require a few resets of their pass and have to grind for coins.

I think the issue is there's only 2 extremes you're looking at-The losers who never get over 2 wins and need to get carried even for the armor piece, and the victors who can go 9-0 twenty times in a row because they're so perfect.

You forget about the people in the middle who have to actually try to get to mercury, they're the ones who get hurt by this.
Well that's the thing.

Losers get more coins.
Winners don't need them.
So-so players like us will make coins as we progress on our tickets via reward packages. Then when we lose, we also get coins.

I don't think losing coins from the chest will make a big difference.

Tomorrow: Deejgate

I await to see that. Bungie will have hit 4 out of 4 in the doomsday prophecy and the community will explode.

Tomorrow I'm awaiting to see what is said. I'm considering cancelling my TTK preorder over this bullshit.

Well that's the thing.

Losers get more coins.
Winners don't need them.
So-so players like us will make coins as we progress on our tickets via reward packages. Then when we lose, we also get coins.

IF coin drop rates are 100% for losers. Knowing Bungie, they won't be. So it's not as simple as you make it out to be.

This grind punishes so-so players. There is no if or buts about it. Winners don't need them, so why do you care whether they get more coins or they don't?

No reason AT ALL to force a grind on players. No reason to take it out, it's stupid.

rNilla

As someone who has never been to Mercury I have a hard time sympathizing with people who have and may now have a more difficult time getting back there.

I think it would be interesting if this patch also included a change where Mercury can only be reached from a legit 9-0 card. No passages. That's probably taking it way too far.

As someone who has never been to Mercury I have a hard time sympathizing with people who have and may now have a more difficult time getting back there.

I think it would be interesting if this patch also included a change where Mercury can only be reached from a legit 9-0 card. No passages. That's probably taking it way too far.

It'd be interesting in that Bungie is punishing all the players who don't have perfect teams or someone who can go 9-0 without boons. It'd be another stupid change.

Rubenov

Well that's the thing.

Losers get more coins.
Winners don't need them.

Packages only give you 8 coins total. A flawless l33t 9-0 player will be down 1 coin each time (assuming he/she uses them). If there's a hiccup, which can happen to anyone and the card has to be restarted, then that player is now down 10 coins, assuming purchase of all 3 boons.

It's punishing.

And what if he ends up going through 3 passages and still doesn't get to Mercury? No more coins from packages, he's low on coins, his only option is to hop into another character and sacrifice that toons coins, or grind out PvP for the *hope* of getting coins.

Or going on a losing streak at Trials(Which I mean...the coins aren't guaranteed to drop. It'll probably be a low chance.) And who the hell wants to go on losing streaks?

Don't forget the other option:

Play trials anyway, even without the buffs.

This will mostly depend from the drop rate and the ammount on loosing matches. I hope they made a system, where the more you play, the more you get, so there is no instance, where you can't buy buffs for new retries.

But then again, why even need the coins in such a system anyway... thus see my point a page or so back, they should just remove coins. ToO is fun. I am loving it. Don't need anything, but i would love more and more ppl to play it, not just super tryhards. We'll see tomorrow how it is, ALSO:

might see ppl farming for coins; buy ticket for 100 glimmer, buy no buffs, play drunk, loose here and there... at the end of the day, you got lots of coins :p

This is a much better solution. Just remove them all together. They make no sense and are just another currency to grind over. And now the grind is even higher.

[long pause]

Woohoo Bungie!

my god, what have they done. This week, after a pretty awesome takne king reveal just seems to be one mistep after the other. they cant seem to please anybody. I dont get it

What is happening at naught.... I mean Bungie

Admodieus

We should do VoG HM at an earlier time than 7/8PM EST. I have the Oracles CP and would like to run it multiple times.

I only have one character (just started on PS4 last week after months of XBO) and I'm looking to do both raids tonight to increase my chances of getting top tier guns for PoE purposes (includes Fatebringer, VoC, and Black Hammer).

rNilla

It'd be interesting in that Bungie is punishing all the players who don't have perfect teams or someone who can go 9-0 without boons. It'd be another stupid change.

Flawless*

I understand where everyone is coming from but I can't get behind descriptions like "punishment." This is as clichéd as "entitlement." Regardless, this is a bad change to make now since it is taking something away (and that timing). It would be different if it was like this from the beginning.

There was no 'forgive-a-death' for Flawless Raider and all I have to show for it is this stupid trophy.

My team goes "6-0" after spending 9 coins on buffs. Then we lose 2 matches and we're out. Last week, we'd have 9 coins from that Mercury chest to try another passage for the 9-0 (actually 7-1, with the boons). Now we get no coins from the mercury chest because blah, and a "chance" at more coins for those 2 losses (are we getting 9? Probably not).

Yup. A chance from the 3* losses as even if the loss doesn't count on the card, it would count for the loot roll post-match. In addition to the coins you get from the vendor for whatever loot you qualify for from him.

And what if he goes through 4 passages.. or 5 passages? You can keep cranking up the numbers on the amount of non-flawless runs. but eventually coins would run out anyways. The 9 coins really aren't that big a deal in the long run because one bad game and you'd need 9 more coins anyways.

I could understand if the coins were an entrance fee but they're not. They're buffs. That's it. Not at all mandatory and they do nothing to actually change performance in the matches.

XenoRaven

The point of alternate currencies in any MMO-style game is to maintain activity and push people toward certain content. The objective of Passage Coins is to get more people to at least do the Crucible daily, and hopefully play even more Crucible after that. That's something that can't be accomplished with just Glimmer. Also, if they were to change everything to use Glimmer, people would flock to the most efficient Glimmer farming method possible, decreasing the overall diversity of players' activity.

The key is to either have a slot for currencies that doesn't take up inventory space (i.e. Vanguard/Crucible Marks) or just give us more god damn inventory space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom