• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
CIS0ixTUYAAuIZB.jpg:orig

I can't tell who this is making fun of.

It seems like they're teasing people that obviously have a huge stock of coins, but the last two lines makes it seem like it's an average player.

That comic doesn't make sense. Titans are garbage in PVP and would never get to Mercury.

We're going to have words later.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Japan, actually. Mateschitz only stumbled across a local thai product which he imported to europe. Also stop trying to ruin my nerd rage with logic!
Hmm... I can't find anything to indicate Japan was involved at any point along the way. The inventor was Thai and started sale of it in Thailand. Mateschitz visited Thailand and adapted it (basically just added sugar and carbonation) for a western market and he and the inventor founded the Red Bull GmbH corporation together. Just look at "Country of Origin" on the right https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull

I first encountered it as Krating Daeng in Shanghai, China in 1998. Everyone called it Red Bull (using the English words) which I thought was bizarre. It was in a small gold can and not carbonated but other than that really tasted pretty similar to what we have in the States today. Of note, it was freaking EVERYWHERE. Even in the places that had the most limited beverage options you could expect Coke, almond milk and Red Bull. Weird stuff.

Admodieus

Still looking for one more for VoG HM in about two hours (7 PM Eastern)

1) Southwark (PSN: Admodieus)
2) rc213
3) jayforone
4) Baliis
5) Blunoise1
6)

Vault of Glass set the bar pretty high, I think. Crota's End wouldn't have been looked at so poorly if it had been through testing more. Being able to solo most of the raid did wonders for it's reputation. Running it now, though, it's not too bad. Not as amazing as VoG, but not a bad raid, really.

All in all, I think I preferred the launch of Crota's End compared to Prison of Elder.

Not sure if true or not, but it was leaked around launch the the Crota raid was supposed to be a lower level raid that you did before VoG. Seems like they chopped it out and repurposed it for Dark Below. There was clearly a much smaller team on Dark Below than Taken King or even House of Wolves, though.

CE would have been a great stepping stone from Strikes to Raids. Some actual mechanics unlike Strikes but still short and simple relative to VoG. Small details like being able to build the bridge solo without wiping from the Totems show that the fine-tune testing wasn't quite there. It'd be kinda like soloing Gate Keepers because the "lost in time" didn't wipe you fast enough.

I agree soloing CE was bad for its rep, and the HM forced under-leveling was a disaster. But those were never the reasons why I think it's a bad raid. My main gripes are (1) doesn't build a mechanical vocabulary, (2) Crota fight is 1-person show, and (3) too small and short to create a sense of adventure. That last gripe sounds like it's definitely being addressed, based on Luke's comments that the new raid is the biggest yet and will convey the feeling of moving through a large space with your fireteam. Can't wait.

All this talk about Red Bull has made me crave a Jaeger-Bomb or four.

I think I may have to partake this evening while grinding out some strikes/dailies/Petra's Bounties.

The only thing that pisses me off about Destiny these days is the serious lack of good loot. Nightfall x3 last night was a joke. Nothing but three legendary weapons that went straight into the trash. I'm getting like 50-60 motes of light a week, but nothing decent. Many of the new guns seem too same-y.

I think it's time to become a grimoire hunter instead of worrying about the gjally rat-race.

Namikaze1

Next time I'll tell whoever did it to plaster a Hunter's or warlock's head all over it instead. :/
I can't tell who this is making fun of.

It seems like they're teasing people that obviously have a huge stock of coins, but the last two lines makes it seem like it's an average player.

We're going to have words later.
It's making fun of the folks wanting the coins to drop from the chest.

mcz117chief

The only knock against VoG is the Oracle part.

I love the time travelling part, the HUGE jump before the Gorgon Labyrinth and the Labyrinth itself ! And the Vault of Glass looks really cool. Overall probably the best raid I have ever seen in any video game.

Thanks to everyone who participated. It was an arduous task but we did it, good job everyone !

raindoc

Hmm... I can't find anything to indicate Japan was involved at any point along the way. The inventor was Thai and started sale of it in Thailand. Mateschitz visited Thailand and adapted it (basically just added sugar and carbonation) for a western market and he and the inventor founded the Red Bull GmbH corporation together. Just look at "Country of Origin" on the right https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull

I first encountered it as Krating Daeng in Shanghai, China in 1998. Everyone called it Red Bull (using the English words) which I thought was bizarre. It was in a small gold can and not carbonated but other than that really tasted pretty similar to what we have in the States today. Of note, it was freaking EVERYWHERE. Even in the places that had the most limited beverage options you could expect Coke, almond milk and Red Bull. Weird stuff.
the thai product is based on japanese drinks. source: both factories that produce the stuff (yes, there's only two, they ship it in cans) are less than 20 mins away from here.
EDIT: it's also on the german wiki: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull#Unternehmen_und_Geschichte

CE would have been a great stepping stone from Strikes to Raids. Some actual mechanics unlike Strikes but still short and simple relative to VoG. Small details like being able to build the bridge solo without wiping from the Totems show that the fine-tune testing wasn't quite there. It'd be kinda like soloing Gate Keepers because the "lost in time" didn't wipe you fast enough.

I agree soloing CE was bad for its rep, and the HM forced under-leveling was a disaster. But those were never the reasons why I think it's a bad raid. My main gripes are (1) doesn't build a mechanical vocabulary, (2) Crota fight is 1-person show, and (3) too small and short to create a sense of adventure. That last gripe sounds like it's definitely being addressed, based on Luke's comments that the new raid is the biggest yet and will convey the feeling of moving through a large space with your fireteam. Can't wait.

New Destiny Raid Leak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqRdT8m1Suo

Oh! Fuck that!

noomi

Thank you Nuszka and Slammin_Hammon!

Got my titan his PoE helm from a judgements chance with some decent rolls. Titan now at level 32 with defender almost completely unlocked. Just need gloves now and to work on striker over the next few days :D

cilonen

the thai product is based on japanese drinks. source: both factories that produce the stuff (yes, there's only two, they ship it in cans) are less than 20 mins away from here.
EDIT: it's also on the german wiki: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull#Unternehmen_und_Geschichte

You're not wrong raindoc, I was at a conference in Korea years ago and they had tables of the Japanese stuff in little brown glass bottles for the delegates coming out of (or going in to) the lectures to keep us awake. The purple/blue label was really distinctive and really made it look like medicine, no idea what that stuff was called though.

Thank you Nuszka and Slammin_Hammon!

Got my titan his PoE helm from a judgements chance with some decent rolls. Titan now at level 32 with defender almost completely unlocked. Just need gloves now and to work on striker over the next few days :D

They grow up so fast T_T

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I and pretty much all Asians I know grew up on the Asian red bull. The thing will keep you up better than anything on the market. I'm responsible for introducing it to my high school friends and making them stay up all night as well. One is already overkill but since it tastes so good you can easily drink more than one. The nerfed American watered down version is nowhere near as good. You couldn't even pay me to drink it.

Destiny|OT25| Solar Bull gives you wings

Nah it's boring no matter what.

How the hell do we not have a photoshopped warlock with that fiery wings when using ADS perk?

I mean... is it too obvious so people aren't going that route?
i gave up on all energy drinks. the caffeine withdrawal headaches on Sunday were not worth it.

My brother in law is on his 3rd kidney stone. He passed the last one. I'm still waiting for him to connect the dots. The last one he passed was 7mm.

Yes, the dots were explained to him very clearly by his doctor each time

You're not wrong raindoc, I was at a conference in Korea years ago and they had tables of the Japanese stuff in little brown glass bottles for the delegates coming out of (or going in to) the lectures to keep us awake. The purple/blue label was really distinctive and really made it look like medicine, no idea what that stuff was called though.

I think the Korean ones are called Bacchus. Similar label to Redbull. Haven't had any since I was last there though... about a decade ago

Bloody hell that was so intense ! Vault of Glass is amazing !

Always warms my heart to hear a great first timer's experience. I can still hear my PUG's shouts of joy when we finally took down Templar on release day: "We've totally gotta make a clan together guys!"

The only knock against VoG is the Oracle part.

The only knock against Oracles is that everyone cheeses it and falls asleep. Also, having Confluxes-Oracles-Templar in the same place makes it drag. In hindsight, I wish they'd combined the C-O phases somehow and had <7 Oracle waves. I know it's Bungie and 7 but maybe do O-C-O-C-O-C-O, although they probably felt that was too much to throw at new players at once.

My point is the Oracles phase is good, damnit! #TeamOracleDefenseForce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom