• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
the thai product is based on japanese drinks. source: both factories that produce the stuff (yes, there's only two, they ship it in cans) are less than 20 mins away from here.
EDIT: it's also on the german wiki: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull#Unternehmen_und_Geschichte

Haha, I don't know how specifically you mean to be parsing words, and my German is atrocious, but from this paragraph
Die Idee für taurinhaltige Getränke stammt aus Japan, wo sie nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg japanischen Piloten zur Steigerung der Leistung verabreicht wurden. Aus Thailand importierte später der Erfinder von Red Bull, Dietrich Mateschitz, die Idee nach Europa. Bei einem Besuch 1982 in Thailand stellte er fest, dass ein Getränk namens Krating Daeng ihm half, den Einfluss des Jetlag zu überwinden.[1] Er übernahm Name, Marketingkonzept und die Grundrezeptur, passte diese dem westlichen Geschmack an und ging damit 1987 auf den österreichischen Markt. Ende der 1980er Jahre wurde Red Bull vor allem durch geschicktes Marketing in der alternativen Jugend- und Club-Szene (Techno, Mountainbiking, Snowboarding) sehr erfolgreich.
Seems like it's saying that the first energy drinks with taurine were first created in Japan for pilots in WW2, no? I don't think anyone who knows the history of Red Bull would say that makes the sentence "Red Bull was invented in Japan" anywhere close to true... there are a whole lot of energy drinks that use taurine.

noomi

They grow up so fast T_T

Seriously, I just made this titan Sunday evening, and Wednesday he's already 32 :eek:

So good
jD4w73l.jpg

*dead*

Heh, these same guys had a loot cave in their game as well.

cilonen

I think the Korean ones are called Bacchus. Similar label to Redbull. Haven't had any since I was last there though... about a decade ago

I did some googling, you're absolutely right, it's Bacchus-D (or F)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacchus-F

And it's all Korean, I remember being told it was Japanese though, but that looks like misinformation :)

Edit: from that page it looks like Lipovitan was the Japanese original that spawned all of these.

Edit 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipovitan

Haha, I don't know how specifically you mean to be parsing words, and my German is atrocious, but from this paragraph

Seems like it's saying that the first energy drinks with taurine were first created in Japan for pilots in WW2, no? I don't think anyone who knows the history of Red Bull would say that makes the sentence "Red Bull was invented in Japan" anywhere close to true... there are a whole lot of energy drinks that use taurine.

They're also directly responsible for the Cloverfield event.

Always warms my heart to hear a great first timer's experience. I can still hear my PUG's shouts of joy when we finally took down Templar on release day: "We've totally gotta make a clan together guys!"

Took us about 6 hours to get to Atheon on the first day but we got stuck there, but what an experience.
But we actually made a clan after that and it's still going strong XD

Iv never had an energy drink on my life.

@Boguester: The part is boring no matter how which way you do it. You stand around turning in circles for 15mins dodging charging minotaurs.

I can't really see how that's fun.

The only knock against Oracles is that everyone cheeses it and falls asleep. Also, having Confluxes-Oracles-Templar in the same place makes it drag. In hindsight, I wish they'd combined the C-O phases somehow and had <7 Oracle waves. I know it's Bungie and 7 but maybe do O-C-O-C-O-C-O, although they probably felt that was too much to throw at new players at once.

My point is the Oracles phase is good, damnit! #TeamOracleDefenseForce

Oracle phase is the best part! Only portion of VoG that is still engaging after you know how it works. Gorgon maze and to a lesser extent Atheon are just a matter of going through the motions.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I did some googling, you're absolutely right, it's Bacchus-D (or F)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacchus-F

And it's all Korean, I remember being told it was Japanese though, but that looks like misinformation :)

Edit: from that page it looks like Lipovitan was the Japanese original that spawned all of these.

Edit 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipovitan
Ahhh that must be what all this is about. I'd never heard of Lipovitan. I imagine its name must not have been so helpful in terms marketing success, lol

ocean

Banned
Bloody hell that was so intense ! Vault of Glass is amazing !
Glad you got a group man. Vault of Glass is just so fun. You probably just went through it but the area is a lot bigger than you imagine. There's a ton of empty space which is really nice to explore around.

It was even better at launch because it was so challenging. Back then:

1. Strategies weren't perfected. We now have great positioning for everything and have figured out quirks like sniping the Gatekeeper to death in seconds instead of killing him while he teleports and 50 million yellow bar Vex snipe you.
2. Shotguns did half the damage they do now, and had far lower attack stat. This means Praetorians were a fucking menace. A 274 attack shotgun only tickled them. We grenaded, sniped and rocketed those assholes with a passion. Really, run VoG without a shotgun and tell me how much harder it is.
3. Heavy ammo was expensive as hell. We have so many bunched up Strange Coins now that we buy them from Xur without remorse but it used to be a 950 glimmer emergency measure. You also lost heavy ammo every time you wiped, and you wiped often.
4. Imperfect loadouts. Most groups now have basically everyone owning maxed stuff of every kind and element. Back then you'd actually see a lot of people shooting Minotaurs with their auto rifles. The grind was so fucking real. A 300/300/300 loadout took incredibly long to build, with planetary mats not being sold, only 5 bounty slots, daily heroic not feeding weapons XP, ascendant energy being so hard to farm etc.
5. Under leveled. People complained about artificial difficulty in CE but I think it was an answer to how comparatively easier it was to reach level cap. Heroic VoG with 29s is amazingly punishing. Way, way harder than CE a level under. The time and frustration spent in Heroic VoG was directly proportional to the number of level 30s you had, and #forever29 was a very real thing.

So magical. I can't wait for the next Raid so I can feel that sensation of challenge and discovery again.

SkylineRKR

Yeah it says Japanese pilots used Taurine based drinks to enhance their performance. But Red Bull specifically was brought over from Thailand.

LiK

Iv never had an energy drink on my life.

@Boguester: The part is boring no matter how which way you do it. You stand around turning in circles for 15mins dodging charging minotaurs.

I can't really see how that's fun.

everyone i played with said it's boring. i dunno why they're defending it now.

raindoc

i know plenty that do and who also work or have worked for the company producing the stuff. the idea came from japan, a guy in thailand produced a version that got mateschitz' interest and the brand (and taste) as we know it was developed in europe.

Where are all you "I totally do Oracles legit" people when I need you? I can't remember the last time I was able to convince a group to do it legit. Moris, Deafmedal and Sword of Doom/Ck are the only people I can think of right now that are up for it.

Took us about 4 hours to get to Atheon on the first day but we got stuck there. But we actually made that clan and it's still going strong XD

Damn, that's impressive. What level were your teammates? We had 2 26s (including me), 2 25s and 2 24s. Templar was brutal, Gorgons took more than an hour, and the jumping part was a good 30-45 minutes. Once the enemy levels jumped at GKs, we were toast even though we kept slugging away. It's the only time I've ever straight up fallen asleep playing Destiny, lol.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah it says Japanese pilots used Taurine based drinks to enhance their performance. But Red Bull specifically was brought over from Thailand.
That makes sense. Thanks for the translation.

The history of Red Bull was one of the first things I ever "looked up on the internet." Actually, I'm pretty sure it was still a South Florida intranet I was using at the time. I saw it all over China (thinking it was a Chinese drink) and then like a month after getting back was visiting a family friend in San Francisco and saw it there and I was like okay, what is going on

ocean

Banned
everyone i played with said it's boring. i dunno why they're defending it now.
I don't think the encounter itself is boring. I just think Conflux+Oracles takes too long. One or the other or both should have been shorter to keep the action going.

Also, 10 months in ill still complain about Conflux not giving loot.

mcz117chief

Glad you got a group man. Vault of Glass is just so fun. You probably just went through it but the area is a lot bigger than you imagine. There's a ton of empty space which is really nice to explore around.

It was even better at launch because it was so challenging. Back then:

1. Strategies weren't perfected. We now have great positioning for everything and have figured out quirks like sniping the Gatekeeper to death in seconds instead of killing him while he teleports and 50 million yellow bar Vex snipe you.
2. Shotguns did half the damage they do now, and had far lower attack stat. This means Praetorians were a fucking menace. A 274 attack shotgun only tickled them. We grenaded, sniped and rocketed those assholes with a passion. Really, run VoG without a shotgun and tell me how much harder it is.
3. Heavy ammo was expensive as hell. We have so many bunched up Strange Coins now that we buy them from Xur without remorse but it used to be a 950 glimmer emergency measure. You also lost heavy ammo every time you wiped, and you wiped often.
4. Imperfect loadouts. Most groups now have basically everyone owning maxed stuff of every kind and element. Back then you'd actually see a lot of people shooting Minotaurs with their auto rifles. The grind was so fucking real. A 300/300/300 loadout took incredibly long to build, with planetary mats not being sold, only 5 bounty slots, daily heroic not feeding weapons XP, ascendant energy being so hard to farm etc.
5. Under leveled. People complained about artificial difficulty in CE but I think it was an answer to how comparatively easier it was to reach level cap. Heroic VoG with 29s is amazingly punishing. Way, way harder than CE a level under. The time and frustration spent in Heroic VoG was directly proportional to the number of level 30s you had, and #forever29 was a very real thing.

So magical. I can't wait for the next Raid so I can feel that sensation of challenge and discovery again.

That is exactly how it felt to me. I didn't have a shotgun, I was constantly out of ammo, my gear is really weak and I had no idea what was comming next or why the hell did I just die because of some ritual thingy :D

Where are all you "I totally do Oracles legit" people when I need you? I can't remember the last time I was able to convince a group to do it legit. Moris, Deafmedal and Sword of Doom/Ck are the only people I can think of right now that are up for it.

Damn, that's impressive. What level were your teammates? We had 2 26s (including me), 2 25s and 2 24s. Templar was brutal, Gorgons took more than an hour, and the jumping part was a good 30-45 minutes. Once the enemy levels jumped at GKs, we were toast even though we kept slugging away. It's the only time I've ever straight up fallen asleep playing Destiny, lol.

You know I'm always up for it. Love sniping the hobbies.

Did it legit yesterday with a first timer. It's actually really fucking easy compared to confluxes. On HM, obviously.
@Fig: We're to full from Red Bull to do that.

Maybe later, then.

I corrected my post sorry, it was more like 5-6 hours, we took a long break at the Templar. I think we started with two 26s including me and Gaz (also 26) joined us during the Templar part, which was the biggest obstacle for us. We got lost in the Gorgon's Maze, so we ended up "cheating" a bit by watching streams. I had never been so exhausted.

Legit Oracles all the way for me, I get so bored standing on top. But I usually just do what the group wants.

Finally, guardian lord!!! My second plat on the PS4 =)

Congrats!

Hey guys, remember doing Templar by everyone jumping to the far left Hob-Goblin spawn and just cleansing the oracles every 30 seconds. Everyone else just sniping (using icebreaker) to shoot the Templar that couldn't shoot back. :p

Those were the days.

LTWood12

I'll never forget my first VoG raid. ChowderClam & Tokems walked T-44 and I through it and it blew my goddamn mind. The best gaming experience of my life. We did everything as intended mechanically, even managing to kill the Templar after he'd enraged.

I was such a noob that I sharded Kabr's Brazen gauntlets, because what the hell did I need light level 18 gauntlets for right guys? Guys?

http://destinytracker.com/dg/650042344

2 hours, 21 minutes. 3 28s & 3 27s.

Shadow Price
Futile Gesture
Unfriendly Giant

rNilla

Templar's Well is too much of a drag for me. Then again I don't really like much about the Vault other than the Vault itself. Templar fight is also OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom