• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heroic VoG with 29s is amazingly punishing. Way, way harder than CE a level under.

Great write-up and reminder of how much things have changed. Quoted this part for extra truth, it's surprising how much people have forgotten (or weren't there) for those early experiences. It always makes me laugh when people say things like "Atheon doesn't require teamwork, my clan kills him first try without even talking nowadays." Having to constantly call out for people to run in or out of the portals, needing 4-5+ teleports to take him down when BHam didn't exist, many didn't have Horn, and many had a ~32% damage penalty. Shit was bananas :p

True Topper edit:

They're multiplying in my postmaster. Somebody help...

CIRftd4UwAACBi-.jpg:large

Mark of the Page Topper: (GG Grim + EJ!)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It would be incredibly embarrassing if Luke Smith lost his job. He is not enlisted to be a PR or marketing figurehead and Bungie and any other potential employer should weigh his mistakes in that arena against the quality of his work output in the areas he was hired for. It's also incredibly difficult for anyone to guess at what (if any) impact his words will have long-term on the financial success of the very platform he was discussing.

He is one of the people who actually make decisions about and create things you do in Destiny. Not in articles written about Destiny, not in pre-order content packs you get from the different versions of Destiny you can spend money on, not in the decisions about how those different versions of Destiny will be priced. The actual Destiny, the part that is like a game that you play. All of that stuff he has contributed this far has been high caliber. I stand by him without hesitation.

Glad you got a group man. Vault of Glass is just so fun. You probably just went through it but the area is a lot bigger than you imagine. There's a ton of empty space which is really nice to explore around.

It was even better at launch because it was so challenging. Back then:

1. Strategies weren't perfected. We now have great positioning for everything and have figured out quirks like sniping the Gatekeeper to death in seconds instead of killing him while he teleports and 50 million yellow bar Vex snipe you.
2. Shotguns did half the damage they do now, and had far lower attack stat. This means Praetorians were a fucking menace. A 274 attack shotgun only tickled them. We grenaded, sniped and rocketed those assholes with a passion. Really, run VoG without a shotgun and tell me how much harder it is.
3. Heavy ammo was expensive as hell. We have so many bunched up Strange Coins now that we buy them from Xur without remorse but it used to be a 950 glimmer emergency measure. You also lost heavy ammo every time you wiped, and you wiped often.
4. Imperfect loadouts. Most groups now have basically everyone owning maxed stuff of every kind and element. Back then you'd actually see a lot of people shooting Minotaurs with their auto rifles. The grind was so fucking real. A 300/300/300 loadout took incredibly long to build, with planetary mats not being sold, only 5 bounty slots, daily heroic not feeding weapons XP, ascendant energy being so hard to farm etc.
5. Under leveled. People complained about artificial difficulty in CE but I think it was an answer to how comparatively easier it was to reach level cap. Heroic VoG with 29s is amazingly punishing. Way, way harder than CE a level under. The time and frustration spent in Heroic VoG was directly proportional to the number of level 30s you had, and #forever29 was a very real thing.

So magical. I can't wait for the next Raid so I can feel that sensation of challenge and discovery again.

The heavy ammo glitch was the worst. FML

EL CUCO

We got our Raid group together last night for a little HM VoG and CE action. Forgot how much fun PvE was in a fireteam of 6 friends (S/O team WIPE!)

I dont mind the Conflux section. It's the Legion phase in between that sucks but sometimes I think that section was designed for everyone to run and hide from all the crazy majors and fanatics.
Luke Smith was the lead designer of VoG. He's a keeper, bad interview or not.
Yeah definitely not going anywhere...nor should he.

Shito

Anybody up for POE 34?

Yes, I need to do it on my Hunter. I've posted about four times in the last two days about doing it to no response. :(

PSN: phantom8324
Thanks guys, as always with gaffers it was a fun and painless run.
Didn't get a cypher but at least some of us did, that's progress in my book. ^^

[EDIT]
What the fuck at all those "snarky" comments from other devs / games?
No matter what you think about the whole emotegate, these kinds of low blows are quite pathetic to me...

It would be incredibly embarrassing if Luke Smith lost his job. He is not enlisted to be a PR or marketing figurehead and Bungie and any other potential employer should weigh his mistakes in that arena against the quality of his work output in the areas he was hired for. It's also incredibly difficult for anyone to guess at what (if any) impact his words will have long-term on the financial success of the very platform he was discussing.

He is one of the people who actually make decisions about and create things you do in Destiny. Not in articles written about Destiny, not in pre-order content packs you get from the different versions of Destiny you can spend money on, not in the decisions about how those different versions of Destiny will be priced. The actual Destiny, the part that is like a game that you play. All of that stuff he has contributed this far has been high caliber. I stand by him without hesitation.
He really should've declined answering those questions.
But hind sight and all.

*raises glass*

Besides that one transcribed interview... He still has the best interviews. Giantbomb e3 one was great.

Some of the gaming side dont comprend this and blame him instead of the publisher. He is not in charge or have any power of the bundles prices (I hope so).

rNilla

[EDIT]
No matter what you think about the whole emotegate, these kinds of low blows are quite pathetic to me...

Yup, pretty gross. But they're so cool because they're dissing that thing that's so infamous right now!

I don't believe he should be immune to criticism for his attitude in that interview though.

He isn't to blame, i agree, and imo he has given us the best raid in the game, VoG, and probably in TTK, but to answer those questions, in the way he did is inexcusible.

Bungie/Activision should be called out, the situation they are in is completely self infliced, and lets be honest here, there has been crticism across the board from day zero. That's never a good way to start a new IP.

You know shit is bad when you're brother asked why you keep on playing that "piece of shit Destiny game". I come back at him "you play and buy Madden every year."

Frenden

Banned
Somebody posted an unflattering picture of Luke for fun-time-laughs on Reddit. Personal attacks are real crappy. What are these people, six years old?

Hey guys, remember doing Templar by everyone jumping to the far left Hob-Goblin spawn and just cleansing the oracles every 30 seconds..

I remember this quite well, haha. I remember bitching because people always wanted to do it and I preferred staying in the arena. I remember debating if it qualified as cheese... until they patched it. And I remember hating that this patch still exists because you can't have as much fun with the relic, even though nobody uses or would need this cheese anymore. Going 1 foot outside the arena for more than a split second makes the relic disappear and respawn at its starting point. ;_;

Dear Luke: Please remove the relic despawn and hobgoblin platform kill volumes. It's for the good of VoG, which I love so much. Sincerely, some guy who's never posted mean things about you on Neogaf.

P.S. I'll even name the next OT "Like a Hat" or "Luke a Hat," whichever you prefer.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Give them a break.

You have to take a step back and look at this as though you were neither a player of the game or its developer, but an analyst just looking over the industry landscape as a whole.

Destiny has had headline stories on gaming and tech websites almost every other day for the past week. Yes, they've all been so-called negative press, absolutely. But how many more stories is that than Game X? How about Game Y- are those guys even still working on anything?

A lot of social marketing teams around the gaming world right now are thinking, "how can I get in on this?" and I don't blame them at all.

I was advertised to by Techland for Dying Light and Daybreak for Planetside 2 today, without leaving my insular radioactive Destiny community OT. It's smart work, is what it is. I can't begrudge them their attempts at throwing a hand across the spotlight.

Trakan

Yup, pretty gross. But they're so cool because they're dissing that thing that's so infamous right now!

Nothing wrong with devs calling out real problems in the industry IMO. You may not like the way they're doing it, but it's better than sitting in silence.

phen0m24

Dear Luke/Deej/Urk:

We may get ticked at you.
We may overreact sometimes.

But this place sorts its crap out and comes to its senses.

Why not post here?
#comebacktoGAF
#GAFrenaissance

Somebody posted an unflattering picture of Luke for fun-time-laughs on Reddit. Personal attacks are real crappy. What are these people, six years old?

Lol, it's just the image that shows up when you google Luke Smith.

Not really unflattering. I don't think anyone likes their wikipedia pic, but they don't choose it.

rNilla

Nothing wrong with devs calling out real problems in the industry IMO. You may not like the way they're doing it, but it's better than sitting in silence.

That's fine if they want to make jokes but let's not pretend they aren't marketing in the process. There is no constructive criticism happening here.

Deku Tree

Dear Luke: Please remove the relic despawn and hobgoblin platform kill volumes. It's for the good of VoG, which I love so much. Sincerely, some guy who's never posted mean things about you on Neogaf.

P.S. I'll even name the next OT "Like a Hat" or "Luke a Hat," whichever you prefer.

What would that do other than "bring the cheese back"?

Deku Tree

We got our Raid group together last night for a little HM VoG and CE action. Forgot how much fun PvE was in a fireteam of 6 friends (S/O team WIPE!)

I dont mind the Conflux section. It's the Legion phase in between that sucks but sometimes I think that section was designed for everyone to run and hide from all the crazy majors and fanatics.

Yeah definitely not going anywhere...nor should he.

Yeah that was a lot of fun last night!

Sorry I had to bail before CE started...

Needed some sleep and all. My son woke me up six hours later...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom