• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
2cc.gif

shut up and take mah glimmer now.

EL CUCO

These companies are shamelessly jumping on the negative Bungie bandwagon in order to promote their own game. That's all their doing.
Exactly. Same thing some of the media is doing. One thing for sure, Destiny is a huge attraction. People love it or people love to hate it.

ocean

Banned
Seriously, for a 6.5/10 game that most people burned out of long ago due to grind and unfulfilled expectations, it's actually amazing how much press this game gets. It's like every week sites will still publish Xur info, DLC plans, any tiny controversy, gripes, what the game gets wrong etc.

Dishy

Unconfirmed Member
How's my knickers in a twist? I choose what I want to buy. And I find their action and others to be deplorable.

My problem with that kind of aggressive PR is that those devs don't have a clean slate either.
TechLand tried to sell their single PVP mode (Be The Zombie) for 5 dollars if you didn't pre-order the game (they changed that on the same day the game released lol because of backlash). Planetside 2 is a micro transaction fest.

Deku Tree

isnt PS2 made by one of Sony's own developers?
me thinks they are gonna get on some trouble for that comment

his bio says former PS2 creative director so he's free from any repercussions.

mhigby: @excaliburps please keep in mind, I'm not with the PS2 team or daybreak anymore though, so it's just some random asshole saying that. =)

Still can't imagine tweets like that are helping that guy get his next job in game design.

Deej being a PR professional with tons of experience and someone who knows just how loud and sensitive this community is...coupled with Destiny being the gaming press' favorite target since launch (I don't think any single game has gotten this many articles, seriously):

I am absolutely flabbergasted at the fact that Deej is mounting expectations for tomorrow's update. Any real solutions are out of his hands and probably out of Bungie's. With the CE being sold out, I doubt Activision really cares how we feel about it - we felt good enough to buy it all.

When the spotlight shines so bright in you and people expect such radically different, and occasionally unreasonable, things from you I think hyping your response is a bad idea.

You'll get "something better", and "not words, solutions" might come back and bite them in the ass. An early apology and shader parity would have solved this. They've dug themselves into a nasty PR hole worthy of being a grad school case study :p

Saving all posible responses in their weeky is a bad move yet I highly doubt the price would be reduced or just let everyone get the content without altering the price

zewone

Deej being a PR professional with tons of experience and someone who knows just how loud and sensitive this community is...coupled with Destiny being the gaming press' favorite target since launch (I don't think any single game has gotten this many articles, seriously):

I am absolutely flabbergasted at the fact that Deej is mounting expectations for tomorrow's update. Any real solutions are out of his hands and probably out of Bungie's. With the CE being sold out, I doubt Activision really cares how we feel about it - we felt good enough to buy it all.

When the spotlight shines so bright in you and people expect such radically different, and occasionally unreasonable, things from you I think hyping your response is a bad idea.

You'll get "something better", and "not words, solutions" might come back and bite them in the ass. An early apology and shader parity would have solved this. They've dug themselves into a nasty PR hole worthy of being a grad school case study :p

They can offer the extra items digitally for a $60 package for people who own the game and other DLCs.

I think it's a ridiculous price, but people will be happier than paying $80 for it.

The lower price and bowing down to internet hate might actually increase sales.

noomi

Seriously, for a 6.5/10 game that most people burned out of long ago due to grind and unfulfilled expectations, it's actually amazing how much press this game gets. It's like every week sites will still publish Xur info, DLC plans, any tiny controversy, gripes, what the game gets wrong etc.

Exactly, remember when Xur sold the Red Death for the first time, shit was trending on Twitter.

Destiny, for all the shit it's gets from everyone, is damn impressive for the constant coverage it gets.

I feel like Destiny is the LeBron James of video games.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

There is no way that people won't be disappointed tomorrow, short of them basically giving away this stuff for "free", which just isn't going to happen.

Exactly, remember when Xur sold the Red Death for the first time, shit was trending on Twitter.

Destiny, for all the shit it's gets from everyone, is damn impressive for the constant coverage it gets.

Internet would shut right down if he ever sold Gjally again.

noomi

They can offer the extra items digitally for a $60 package for people who own the game and other DLCs.

I think it's a ridiculous price, but people will be happier than paying $80 for it.

The lower price and bowing down to internet hate might actually increase sales.

I would be ok with $60 honestly... For everything plus the exotic goodies.

There is no way that people won't be disappointed tomorrow, short of them basically giving away this stuff for "free", which just isn't going to happen.
This is where I hope people aren't thinking will happen. Bungie needs to make money to. I'd like to see the prices reduced tho.
Or a better bundle made.

ocean

Banned
I'm expecting details on the VIP reward they've mentioned from Day 1. No more. We'll get some unique shaders, class items and sparrows for being launch players. I suppose something else or a change in bundles is technically possible, but I think it's not reasonable to expect it.

Also expecting an "I'm sorry you were offended" kind of half apology, mentioning how were the very soul and heart and jrwnsjdnewjsndeejspeak. Depending on how it is phrased, it will make or break the update in my opinion.

"Collector's Edition and VIP rewards, and all previous "exclusive" unlocks can be earned in new Shader, Emblem, Sparrow, and Emote engrams by everyone. Drops in all modes, Legendaries or Exotics, bring to a Cryptarch, RNG-based, plus a ton of other possible new shaders, emblems, engrams and sparrows in TTK. Collector's Edition just guarantees you get that stuff Day 1."

"Price adjusted to better reflect international currencies."

Boom. Praise Bungie.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't believe he should be immune to criticism for his attitude in that interview though.
I can only hope that there's no insinuation here that I claimed he "should be immune to criticism." He shouldn't be, and he isn't.

Actually, he's a perfectly convenient punching bag for the prevailing shitmaelstrom that currently rages. He should be criticized, and indeed people are free to criticize and criticize until their digital voices are hoarse from criticizing so hard. DeeJ must be drinking Mai Tais right now.
He isn't to blame, i agree, and imo he has given us the best raid in the game, VoG, and probably in TTK, but to answer those questions, in the way he did is inexcusible.
"In the way he did" gets us into rather tricky territory.

Ghaleon and others have pointed out that Luke's voice and attitude don't translate particularly well into raw text, and I join them. I can't actually be sure about the way he said any of the things he said because I wasn't there and didn't see video of it. I know that we had a level 2.7 flipout recently because of DeeJ's recent interview response of "then what are you asking me for?" which comes across quite poorly when written down, but I found utterly unremarkable in context when hearing it live.

Regardless, the problem isn't exactly whether or not it's right to criticize him. That's an easy call. Sure it is. The problem comes when all that criticizing maybe gives way to a little... I dunno... blind hatred? Irrational anger? You tell me if you've seen anything that qualifies or not.
Bungie/Activision should be called out, the situation they are in is completely self infliced, and lets be honest here, there has been crticism across the board from day zero. That's never a good way to start a new IP.
You know what I bet Bungie and Activision consider a good way to start a new IP?

Having the most financially successful new IP launch of all time.

This really gets to the crux of all this to me, and why I find all of this ultimately so fucking boring. Bungie is, for the time being, insulated by extreme financial success. Their mistakes may be manifold and their decisions questionable at every turn- but as long as gigantic stacks of money are delivered to them and to Activision, they have no incentive to care on any legitimate level about how unfair they're being. For you, the individual player, I bet there are a good number of things that you'd put before "how many other people are buying it" on the list of what is important to you in Destiny. For them, it's the entire list. They don't even have shareholders to answer to... it's just piles of money in the vault. Piles and piles.

I've said this more than once before, but nonetheless: all this current rage, all of the threats to punish Bungie for what they've done? They need to make that real. And that means a legitimate hit to their bottom line. Not words, not anger, not passion... money. If you are substantially upset by everything that's going on, don't buy The Taken King, or any future content releases for this game. By this I do not mean, "settle for the $40 version instead of the $80 version," nor do I mean "wait for the next Legendary edition that includes The Taken King" for a better deal. Decisions like this are factored into the business model. You need to not spend any more money and thus demonstrate that the poor choices Bungie made cost them actual dollars and cents; only then will the resources be devoted (or even considered) to make fundamental, sweeping changes.

Now, here's what I expect to happen:

DeeJ comes out in the Weekly Update tomorrow and gives us the details of one or more compromises or token offerings they have decided to include with the release of The Taken King and the associated purchase options, specifically targeting launch players/those who already own everything. His language will also include subtle, vaguely positioned hints that they are still considering additional options or changes prior to release. Then a week or two will go buy- another few gaming news cycles- while they gauge community reaction to see if any more hush puppies need be scattered. If the anger has been adequately quelled (I almost typed "fully," ahahaha), they'll move on to the regularly scheduled programming. If not, an additional compromise or offering will be rolled out after another couple of weeks that seems mysteriously to counteract the problems found in the first compromise. At this point, the community-at-large will engage in much rejoicing (with the obligatory token comments that Bungie better not try to pull this shit again) and all will be right with the world.... until the next fucking time this happens which it will.

Net result: no effective change. The aforementioned compromises are things that will have a near-zero impact on Bungie or Activision's receipts, and hell, for that matter they're also things that your brain will boot out of short-term memory as soon as it gets the chance to replace them with whatever juicy details emerge about what comes next. It's all factored in. It's the cost of doing business.

Up and down and up and down and up and down. I can only hope to be proven wrong.

Daemul

How's my knickers in a twist? I choose what I want to buy. And I find their action and others to be deplorable.

But no one is telling you what to buy, everyone(sane) is aiming their frustrations at Bungie. Is some of the hate OTT? Of course, but it's a mess Bungie created and they need to sort it out themselves.

I am calm. I just think it's gross. Moreso the embrace by video game fans than the actual jokes themselves.

I can't see how using a negative PR pile-on to market your game is any worse than partnering with energy drinks for a quest and XP.

No one minds what Techland and Daybreak are doing because they aren't the ones in the midst of a PR shitstorm right now, if they were in Bungie's position and were still making those same jokes about other devs then of course they would be pulled up for it, but since their free of controversy they can say what they want without repercussion. It's how things work man, in business and in day to day life.

My feelings are hurt that you didn't also quote my response. Lol.

Sorry man, I didn't see your post. I'll quote you next time :p

isnt PS2 made by one of Sony's own developers?
me thinks they are gonna get on some trouble for that comment

his bio says former PS2 creative director so he's free from any repercussions.

Daybreak Game Company(formerly known as Sony Online Entertainment) were sold off in February and are no longer part of Sony, so even if he still worked on the game he would have nothing to worry about.

^lol Grim, in my defense I wasn't subtle. Wait, that makes it worse...

Well technically, it wasn't very subtle. Yet, I wouldn't want to label our beloved DrDriz as a braggart. ;)

Some intense crucible matches today. Feel free to shoot me an invite anytime you need a sidekick.

Jafo_

"Collector's Edition and VIP rewards, and all previous "exclusive" unlocks can be earned in new Shader, Emblem, Sparrow, and Emote engrams by everyone. Drops in all modes, Legendaries or Exotics, bring to a Cryptarch, RNG-based, plus a ton of other possible new shaders, emblems, engrams and sparrows in TTK. Collector's Edition just guarantees you get that stuff Day 1."

Boom. Praise Bungie.

Didn't they do that for the help nepal stuff?

Are you not calling me sane?

When have I ever said what Bungie did to be good? They deserve to be punished, but what Iv been reading is far from civilized.

Plus I don't like people trying to profit others mistakes no matter how it came about. Seems wrong.

So excuse me then. I guess to you I have my "Knickers in a twist". I'm done with this.

Daemul

Are you not calling me sane?

When have I ever said what Bungie did to be good? They deserve to be punished, but what Iv been reading is far from civilized.

Plus I don't like people trying to profit others mistakes no matter how it came about. Seems wrong.

So excuse me then. I guess to you I have my "Knickers in a twist". I'm done with this.

By everyone sane I mean people who are aiming their frustrations at Bungie instead of people who want to buy the expansion.

aw snap - setting up my Playstation TV now. got it at half price when a very thoughtful GAF'er shared the sale, and now, it looks like i may be able to test it out when i'm traveling to San Francisco tomorrow. I was about to mourn the lack of destiny for the trip, but now, i have some hope!!! my hat's off to whomever shared the sale! :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm expecting details on the VIP reward they've mentioned from Day 1. No more. We'll get some unique shaders, class items and sparrows for being launch players. I suppose something else or a change in bundles is technically possible, but I think it's not reasonable to expect it.

Also expecting an "I'm sorry you were offended" kind of half apology, mentioning how were the very soul and heart and jrwnsjdnewjsndeejspeak. Depending on how it is phrased, it will make or break the update in my opinion.
Considering how last week Deej was basically like "hey, we're charging you less than you have to pay for it on ebay", I have to imagine he's going to be a lot more measured. lol

Boom. Praise Bungie.
The thing is, anything they do can't devalue the CE. They want people to pay an extra 20 (or 40) dollars for those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom