• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Step aside hot stuff coming though
11415607_413573435516082_6019642521560882104_o.jpg

Female hunters are hat

_woLf

Round 4 of PoE 34 this week is literally the worst. Hive wizards with arc burn + defuse mines = borderline impossible. Holy fuck. Had to abandon.

And I did the nightfall and got nothing but a stupid bad legendary fusion rifle. Siiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhhhhh.... so many hours wasted

Round 4 of PoE 34 this week is literally the worst. Hive wizards with arc burn + defuse mines = borderline impossible. Holy fuck. Had to abandon.

And I did the nightfall and got nothing but a stupid bad legendary fusion rifle. Siiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhhhhh.... so many hours wasted

You should do the cheese. Stand above the spawn door to prevent the adds from coming out until after you've defused the bombs.

ocean

Banned

It really helps if you have the PoE armor sold on previous weeks. During the past month, despite being all Strength, Variks sold Helmet, Chest and Boots with Hive buffs. Wearing all of them will make you charge your super, grenade and melee more quickly. More importantly, you'll have a lot more armor, recovery and agility. Everything is buffed.

Otherwise, mines with Arc burn Hive is harder than Skolas is. You need a good invisible hunter and some clutch Titan bubbles to get through it.

Trace

Banned
I love how they frame it as a "win" for us fans. The worst part, I'm in for it.

Batman has by no means pried me away from destiny, but it's a damn good game.

Is it sad that I view it as a win? If it were any other game I'd be scoffing at it but for some reason I just want more to play :/

mcz117chief

Lads, first of all good morning/afternoon/evening. I have a question if I may. Yesterday me and some of my buddies from GAF did the Vault of Glass and once we defeated the final boss I got an armour drop with these stats when maxed:

defence - 439
light - 30
intellect - 74
strength - 74

and in order to get these stats I need to spend a crazy amount of materials most of which I don't even have. On the other hand I am pretty close to the Crucible rank 2 which gives me the ability to purchase this piece of armour:

defence - 488
light - 36
intellect - 78
strength - 84

and I don't even have to upgrade it once to get these stats. My question is. Why should I bother with upgrading that raid gear when I can just purchase the far superior one from the Crucible Handler ? Is there something I am missing here ? Can the Crucible gear be only used in the Crucible ? Help me out over here, please.

Trace

Banned
Lads, first of all good morning/afternoon/evening. I have a question if I may. Yesterday me and some of my buddies from GAF did the Vault of Glass and once we defeated the final boss I got an armour drop with these stats when maxed:

defence - 439
light - 30
intellect - 74
strength - 74

and in order to get these stats I need to spend a crazy amount of materials most of which I don't even have. On the other hand I am pretty close to the Crucible rank 2 which gives me the ability to purchase this piece of armour:

defence - 488
light - 36
intellect - 78
strength - 84

and I don't even have to upgrade it once to get these stats. My question is. Why should I bother with upgrading that raid gear when I can just purchase the far superior one from the Crucible Handler ? Is there something I am missing here ? Can the Crucible gear be only used in the Crucible ? Help me out over here, please.

You don't use VoG armor anymore, at least not unascended. In Vanilla it was the best armor in the game by a mile, but now the vendors have better gear. I like the look and some of the perks on the VoG armor, so my warlock I'm ascending all the gear which gets it to 42 light and makes it usable.

A win for what? You can play the game just fine for $40, what's so compelling about $20 emotes and shaders?

They're shaders and emotes that I wouldn't have otherwise. I'm one of those collector types for games like this, I feel the need to at least have the option to use anything. Preordered CoD for the Blacksmith shader, got the Digital Guardian at launch for the ship and ghost, etc.

ocean

Banned

defence - 439
light - 30
intellect - 74
strength - 74

defence - 488
light - 36
intellect - 78
strength - 84

Back at launch, that was the only armor set that went up to Light 30. All the vendor stuff capped at 27, so the only way to reach level 30 (which requires 120 Light) you needed the VoG armor. You see that insane upgrade tree with loads of material requirements? That's the way all legendaries used to be upgraded.

There is zero reason for you to upgrade that stuff now except sentimentality. Buy armor from the crucible or vanguard of whichever faction vendors. They will come at +36 Light right off the bat and only have a few upgrade bubbles for ammo perks.

But don't delete your VoG armor. If you play this game long enough, eventually you'll find yourself upgrading stuff for the heck of it :p

Jinjo

I love how they frame it as a "win" for us fans. The worst part, I'm in for it.

Batman has by no means pried me away from destiny, but it's a damn good game.

Is it sad that I view it as a win? If it were any other game I'd be scoffing at it but for some reason I just want more to play :/

No offense, but why in the hell would you support this bullshit and pay $20 (even more if you're in Europe or the UK, as it's the same 20 here but our money is still worth more to the dollar) for a handful of digital cosmetic items? This should be no more than a fiver. Don't support Bungie/Activision's ridiculous pricing schemes guys. Year 1 owners are in no way getting the 'better deal'.

A win for what? You can play the game just fine for $40, what's so compelling about $20 emotes and shaders?

Same here, if I buy the Taken King it will be the regular edition only. I don't see at all what is 'better' about the deal year 1 owners are getting. Deej lies and deceit again. Just give us that Fate of all Fools & Vesta, then it might be worth it, and even that is really questionable.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Skolas this week:
I can stick a magnet grenade to a captains face and put four shotgun rounds into him and still get killed with a single swipe.

ocean

Banned
Yes, sir. So I can use the Crucible armour outside of Crucible I guess ?
Yeah. There are no PvE or Crucible specific weapons or armor. Some perks are more useful in one place or the other but you'll always be able to wear your armor and equip your weapons freely.

ocean

Banned
Skolas this week:
I can stick a magnet grenade to a captains face and put four shotgun rounds into him and still get killed with a single swipe.
Small arms is a rough penalty modifier. You might wanna consider using Suppressor instead of Magnetic. Magnetic a won't kill them anyways so you might as well suppress them so they can't teleport.

No offense, but why in the hell would you support this bullshit and pay $20 (even more if you're in Europe or the UK, as it's the same 20 here but our money is still worth more to the dollar) for a handful of digital cosmetic items? This should be no more than a fiver. Don't support Bungie/Activision's ridiculous pricing schemes guys. Year 1 owners are in no way getting the 'better deal'.

They gotta pay for that spandex palace somehow.

Bradach

You should do the cheese. Stand above the spawn door to prevent the adds from coming out until after you've defused the bombs.
This cheese seems to not work for me sometimes. I usually take position but most times they still come out. Where should the other two players be when I'm standing in the right spot?

Back at launch, that was the only armor set that went up to Light 30. All the vendor stuff capped at 27, so the only way to reach level 30 (which requires 120 Light) you needed the VoG armor. You see that insane upgrade tree with loads of material requirements? That's the way all legendaries used to be upgraded.

There is zero reason for you to upgrade that stuff now except sentimentality. Buy armor from the crucible or vanguard of whichever faction vendors. They will come at +36 Light right off the bat and only have a few upgrade bubbles for ammo perks.

But don't delete your VoG armor. If you play this game long enough, eventually you'll find yourself upgrading stuff for the heck of it :p

I've ascended/upgraded VoG armour for my hunter and warlock because it looks great.

Warlock helmet and chest, best in game IMO.

ocean

Banned
New players can get all of Destiny for 60 or pay an extra 20 for cosmetics.

We can pay 40 for TTK or pay an extra 20 for cosmetics.

All is good. It's a shitty deal but it doesn't bother me at all. I can just chose not to buy it and no harm is done. It was just frustrating of them to even suggest we re buy the game. Now they are selling their cosmetics individually - and overpriced though they may be, they are no longer bundled to stuff we already have.

No need for pitchforks. If you don't think 3 shaders and a class item should be worth the same as the entire House of Wolves expansion, just don't buy it. I don't see why it would bother anyone that it exists.

I mean they could have a US$500 shader and why would that bother me? It'd be a silly value but the fact that it exists for some people who do want it won't detract from my experience.

Jinjo

They gotta pay for that spandex palace somehow.

Yeah, it really feels like Bungie did not expect demand for this so now they (Bungie/Activision) are like: let's take (read: steal) some more money from those Destiny fans and gain goodwill by making them think we are doing them a favour.

Edit: except physical CE buyers sre getting a lot more for their extra 20 Ocean...

ocean

Banned
Yeah, it really feels like Bungie did not expect demand for this so now they (Bungie/Activision) are like: let's take (read: steal) some more money from those Destiny fans and gain goodwill by making them think we are doing them a favour.

Edit: except physical CE buyers sre getting a lot more for their extra 20 Ocean...
Well sure. But that's usually the case. With those goodies, US$80 for physical CE was a nice deal for a Destiny fan and collector IMO. But it's the same as any CE. The value is only there if you care about that kind of stuff.
Bungie isn't doing us a favor with pricing tiers and we don't do then a favor when we buy something.

The beautiful thing about free markets is that transactions are voluntary and only take place when both parties agree on the value something has. Sellers will usually try to find the highest price consumers are willing to pay; keyword being willing. If you don't make an offer that's compelling at your intended price point, consumers will punish you by not purchasing.

The sold out physical CE and the fact that someone somewhere must have bought the digital CE for some strange reason means they were satisfying a real demand. Meaning a real demand for people who honestly think 3 shaders should be worth the same as House of Wolves and The Dark Below combined.

And honestly, if this demand exists more power to them for being bold enough to have found it. I was just bothered by the suggestion of re purchasing content. That's gone now. Now I have the following options:

I can buy DLC for US$40. It's expensive but it's worth it for me because of how much I value this game and the entertainment I get from it.

I can spring another 20 for 3 shaders. Lol no thanks. But whatever it's just something I don't want, not something that offends me.

Wtf...it's only 3 shaders? How many class items and emotes? Anyone know what the emotes are?

I'm mostly just curious because there is no chance in hell I'm buying cosmetic shit. Never have and probably never will.

ocean

Banned
Wtf...it's only 3 shaders? How many class items and emotes? Anyone know what the emotes are?

I'm mostly just curious because there is no chance in hell I'm buying cosmetic shit. Never have and probably never will.
Oh sorry. It's actually:
- 3 shaders
- one class item per class (3 total)
- one emote per class (3 total? Don't know if they change between genders)

Yeah.

mcz117chief

Good Lord ! Found Verdict has a full auto upgrade ! Isn't that a big deal and kind of really powerful ? This shotgun looks pretty crazy, I think I am going to keep it :D

GutZ31

Soooo....

The emotes, shaders, and class items are the same price as 12 story missions, a raid, 3 PVP maps, 2 strikes, and exclusive weapons/armor.

$20 sure has changed in a year.

Ikkarus

Good Lord ! Found Verdict has a full auto upgrade ! Isn't that a big deal and kind of really powerful ? This shotgun looks pretty crazy, I think I am going to keep it :D
It's a great shotgun.

It falls a bit short in PvP compared to Matador and Fel Winter but it's still a great gun.

Especially good for taking out Fallen Captains, Hive Knights and Servitors.

I wasn't planning to buy any of the cosmetic stuff, even if they cut off some more of the price. It is just not worth it for me personally.
Only thing that annoyed me was the conversion rate of $ = £ = €, but I guess this has been going on for a while. Either way I'm holding off on pre-ordering TTK and wait until near-launch to make a decision.

JonCha

I've been wondering whether it's worth doing this as I have two parts of the HoW armour and it seems like even when upgrading and ascending the Vault armour the light level is still going to be lower? Is Crota's end armour different in this way?

ocean

Banned
The Vault of Glass is a treasure house of great loot.

I'll give you a run down:

Vision of Confluence: an auto fire Solar Scout Rifle with huge magazine and amazing stability. One of the best weapons in the game for endgame content and the Solar Burn MVP. It drops from Atheon on Normal or Heroic.

Fatebringer: the best primary weapon in the game in my opinion. Arc Hand Cannon with Outlaw and the only HC with Firefly. A high impact weapon with Firefly is crazy because the explosion from headshots does damage proportional to the shot itself. Meaning a Firefly explosion from a Scout won't do much...but Firefly from a Fatebringer does enough damage to kill a Thrall. End result: 1 bullet, 10 kills in some scenarios. Only drops from Templar on Heroic.

Found Verdict: best shotgun in the game for PvE and almost (not quite) top tier in PvP. Beast. This much impact usually means trade offs, but it fires quick (and auto), is stable, has amazing range, great reload speed...drops from Normal or Heroic and must be kept.

Praedyth's Revenge: Fast firing hyper stable Void sniper with 6 rounds in the magazine. Despite its low impact it's a DPS monster because it fires so quickly and recoils so little that you can chain crits better than with any other sniper in my experience. Drops on Normal or Heroic.

The Fusion Rifle (Heroic only and harder to find than a baby unicorn) and Machine gun (Normal/Heroic) are pretty good but perhaps not as special as the above. The Rocket Launcher is just ok. Pulse and Auto rifles are garbage.

SkylineRKR

Hezen is shit now that horseshoes and tripod can be rolled on anything. Clusters do squat.

Corrective is probably still good for its insane magazine and surplus. I have a Void BTRD which eclipses it but CM has that ammo count.

Best weapons are FB and VoC. And FV since shotties became relevant.

I personally opt for the 4th Horseman but it does take the exotic slot but that thing just straight up kills anything in front of it instantly.

4th Horseman is a boss. So glad dragon playlist dropped it for me some time ago.

Hold trigger in front of fallen majors and laugh. I just go for reload speed, 4th is best within melee range anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom