• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocean

Banned
I've been wondering whether it's worth doing this as I have two parts of the HoW armour and it seems like even when upgrading and ascending the Vault armour the light level is still going to be lower? Is Crota's end armour different in this way?
Prison of Elders and Trials of Osiris armor come at 42 Light directly.

Crota's End armor, just like the stuff you can buy from vendors, caps at 36 Light. The difference is, new vendor stuff comes at 36 right away, while Crota's End armor starts at 30 and requires Radiant Shards (only found in that raid) to be upgraded. Not worth it at all.

Vault of Glass armor starts at 24 and caps at 30. It requires Ascendant shards, which we have hundreds or thousands of but newer players might not have any of. Similarly, not worth it.

That being said, if you do decide to upgrade your VoG or CE armor to their respective caps they'll still be lower than the Prison or Trials gear. Bringing them up to 42 is done the same way you would to a Vendor armor: Ascending with an Etheric Light (obtained from PoE 34, PoE 35, Trials of Osiris rewards and maybe Nightfalls).

Shito

Round 4 of PoE 34 this week is literally the worst. Hive wizards with arc burn + defuse mines = borderline impossible. Holy fuck. Had to abandon.

And I did the nightfall and got nothing but a stupid bad legendary fusion rifle. Siiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhhhhh.... so many hours wasted
Until Bungie decided to randomize PoE a bit more, this is the hardest round in the whole event.
It's not too bad if you're with two people who can hold their ground alone, though, and have one at each side of the map to cover the three possible mines locations. It also depends on your classes: having 3 warlocks is a handicap added, and any combination of warlocks / hunters / titans makes it easier to go by. Oh, and of course, having good arc weapons and a Horn for those wizards helps A TON.

I really want a new emote to replace the atrocity that is the Male Awoken dance, but it isn't so bad to justify a $20 purchase, but almost.

Until Bungie decided to randomize PoE a bit more, this is the hardest round in the whole event.
It's not too bad if you're with two people who can hold their ground alone, though, and have one at each side of the map to cover the three possible mines locations. It also depends on your classes: having 3 warlocks is a handicap added, and any combination of warlocks / hunters / titans makes it easier to go by. Oh, and of course, having good arc weapons and a Horn for those wizards helps A TON.

It is a huge pain in the ass, even if you are prepared, bit Hunter invis and Titan bubbles can make short work of it. Especially with someone on Ghorn Wizard duty in the back corner.

Yeah, it really feels like Bungie did not expect demand for this so now they (Bungie/Activision) are like: let's take (read: steal) some more money from those Destiny fans and gain goodwill by making them think we are doing them a favour.

Edit: except physical CE buyers sre getting a lot more for their extra 20 Ocean...

It just makes them look so out of touch when they seriously ask us to pay $20 for that stuff

Made a run in skolas for the first time. Had to give up. We can get him down to the about the first mine Phase and then we fall apart.

:(

Skolas with light switch is stupid

Skolas this week:
I can stick a magnet grenade to a captains face and put four shotgun rounds into him and still get killed with a single swipe.

Interesting. I did Skolas for the second time yesterday (first time was with solar burn before the patch) and our team found it much more doable and far more enjoyable. Took us about 30 mins just for the Skolas fight but we didn't wipe once (which actually surprised us). We found this version really tense and fun. We just had to keep communicating.

Things to keep in mind from our experience:
- small arms does pretty good damage and takes down any unshielded add (basically non-captains) with 1 headhot, 365 VoC does wonders
- if a captain gets too close just run, unless you have 365 FV or another fast firing arc shotgun (and even then you might get killed before you drop him)
- keep moving around the arena, first go to the top left platform, once the adds are converging there go through the outside to the right platform and keep dropping adds until they converge there then go through the inside to the top left platform again (basically a circle around the arena)
- after breaking the bonds focus on dropping adds before focusing on Skolas, whenever adds spawn just forget Skolas
- when the mines show up just focus on surviving and dismantling them
- once Skolas starts poisoning try to keep together as much as possible and keep communicating position and timing, know in advance who is supposed to pick it up next and once it hits 10 seconds start preparing to pick it up
- after the second round of mines, just clean up the adds and Horn him to death (don't wast horn shots before, not worth it)
- take your time, don't rush

Even lightswitch (which is a pain) isn't as bad as solar or arc burn. And small arms is better than people give it credit for. Just make sure you have something like VoC or Fang at 365 and you'll do a ton of damage.

Shito

It is a huge pain in the ass, even if you are prepared, bit Hunter invis and Titan bubbles can make short work of it. Especially with someone on Ghorn Wizard duty in the back corner.
Yep, that's usually the spot I tend to cover, back corner to deal with the wizards and the few knights that pop around here. Also worth noting that Oversoul Edict or Song of Ir Yut (if no Horn) are some great choices, as they allow to shoot the knights through their shield.

Even lightswitch (which is a pain) isn't as bad as solar or arc burn. And small arms is better than people give it credit for. Just make sure you have something like VoC or Fang at 365 and you'll do a ton of damage.
Small Arms is really good, just realized yesterday that it basically does 2x damage.
Thought it was much less than that...

ocean

Banned
Hunters:

Have Stalker and Shadowjack on your perk tree. Crouch. Equip Khepri's *while you're invisible*. Voilà. You now have 2x Stalker and since you equipped it while invis, they're on different cool downs. This means you can crouch to go invisible then when it runs out immediately crouch again and go invisible.

Couple this with the fact that you can blink strike the mine itself to go invisible and a Hunter can ride the entire wave without losing invisibility. Easiest way to do this.

I really want a new emote to replace the atrocity that is the Male Awoken dance, but it isn't so bad to justify a $20 purchase, but almost.
That dance is comically awful. You should be proud that you have that. I don't get to see it too often.

I think everyone has a gender/race that they wish they didn't choose. For me it's the female human. Ugh.

Nuszka

$20 for a view emotes, shaders and class items? Lol are they crazy it should be $5 at most.
I will never forget the interview that gamespot did with one of the devs from CDProject in which he mentioned that doing new armour models for Geralt or his horse takes a matter of view hours for about 3 people, thats the reason they are giving them for free.
So now bungie does something that is far less time constraining and charges it a ONE THIRD of full games price.
I just woke up , don't think i even need a coffee. If i see any of the long time destiny players from here prancing around with their new emotes... I will blame them for contributing for what i feel might be the future of gaming.
Not even going that back in to the past, things like that would never be acceptable. Now it seems like we are ok for paying what used to be cheat codes unlocking stuff, but thats a subject for a different place.
Do not run around me with those shaders, emotes or class items!!! Not unless you got them for $5

Ikkarus

My best advice to Skolas is:

Kill all of the adds before tackling Skolas after you kill the kill the first Servitor.

When you get flooded with adds move to the opposite side of the map all together.

When the Essence section arrives just call out when you're at 15 seconds and then again at 10 seconds to ensure your teammate takes it from you.

Mines: Try where possible to stick together. A Titan bubble is great here but it can be achieved without one. If you're a Warlock just revive or go invisible as a Hunter.

One member wiping: If a teammate dies just circle around the map to remove all of the enemies around him/her. You'll have time to revive and for them to take the essence from you so don't panic.

As for Skolas himself just fire your rockets at him when you have the chance, take your time and continuously chip away at him with your primary weapon (Scout rifles are extra useful). He's easy enough to out run and just stick to your teammates as much as possible.

Hunters:

Have Stalker and Shadowjack on your perk tree. Crouch. Equip Khepri's *while you're invisible*. Voilà. You now have 2x Stalker and since you equipped it while invis, they're on different cool downs. This means you can crouch to go invisible then when it runs out immediately crouch again and go invisible.

Couple this with the fact that you can blink strike the mine itself to go invisible and a Hunter can ride the entire wave without losing invisibility. Easiest way to do this.
The double invisibility thing had me going through the beginning of the nightfall like some Metal Gear Solid shit. Didn't even get spotted.

I've been playing destiny for the past three weeks after a very long hiatus (quit in november or december) and I'm fully hooked in again. Forgot how addicting it can be when you're making progress. Must be the only day one player without a gjalla or an icebreaker but I'm still getting things done so It's all good:) I'm seriously contemplating splashing 40 bucks on TTK so my thirst is real:)

mcz117chief

I've been playing destiny for the past three weeks after a very long hiatus (quit in november or december) and I'm fully hooked in again. Forgot how addicting it can be when you're making progress. Must be the only day one player without a gjalla or an icebreaker but I'm still getting things done so It's all good:) I'm seriously contemplating splashing 40 bucks on TTK so my thirst is real:)

Look at me, mate. I bought the collector's edition on day 1 and I haven't even finished the Venus story missions :D

That dance is comically awful. You should be proud that you have that. I don't get to see it too often.

I think everyone has a gender/race that they wish they didn't choose. For me it's the female human. Ugh.

Its embarrassing, but worth a gag every once in a while.

Funny, I love my Female Human. Wave and Dance are both good.

Shito

I've heard of some frightening tales, late at night while the storm is raging outside, of other day one players without a Horn, even though they kept playing the game ever since...

Destiny is really good at "grabbing people again", I find. And there's absolutely no shame in taking a break from it at some point, we probably all did it already. :)

ocean

Banned
It's easy to keep playing now. Just hop on for a NF or PoE or Raid or some Crucible.

But that initial grind is way too rough. I've had friends quit the game at level ~24. I'm like yeah you just have to buy armor.

First reach rank 2 with a Faction. And they're like oh ok cool how. Um...run Strike playlist to see the same 6 strikes on repeat for like 8 hours.

Hello? You still there? Shit.

I think at least the Vanguard should sell armor at rep 1. That way players can buy some Legendary fear quickly and not get tired before they get a chance to play Weekly Heroic and VoG.

Kyoufu

It's easy to keep playing now. Just hop on for a NF or PoE or Raid or some Crucible.

But that initial grind is way too rough. I've had friends quit the game at level ~24. I'm like yeah you just have to buy armor.

First reach rank 2 with a Faction. And they're like oh ok cool how. Um...run Strike playlist to see the same 6 strikes on repeat for like 8 hours.

Hello? You still there? Shit.

I think at least the Vanguard should sell armor at rep 1. That way players can buy some Legendary fear quickly and not get tired before they get a chance to play Weekly Heroic and VoG.

The problem my friend had was reaching the 100 marks cap in the first week but couldn't buy anything because the gear requires rank 2 to purchase. So the grind became worse if he wanted to get enough rep to reach rank 2 in the first week via Patrol missions.

ocean

Banned
The problem my friend had was reaching the 100 marks cap in the first week but couldn't buy anything because the gear requires rank 2 to purchase. So the grind became worse if he wanted to get enough rep to reach rank 2 in the first week via Patrol missions.
It's horrible. Low level strikes give like 10 rep each and Patrol missions are so damn boring and repetitive. It's easy to say fuck why am I doing this.

You know the game isn't really as short in content as people say it is. The issue is how much the game expects you to repeat the content to make any progress.

Regarding dead orbit rep, mine are as follows;

Warlock = 19
Titan = 28
Hunter = 4

I've received the ship twice and bittersteel once.
Apart from weapons, armour and emblems, that's it.

#forevernorevenant

JonCha

Prison of Elders and Trials of Osiris armor come at 42 Light directly.

Crota's End armor, just like the stuff you can buy from vendors, caps at 36 Light. The difference is, new vendor stuff comes at 36 right away, while Crota's End armor starts at 30 and requires Radiant Shards (only found in that raid) to be upgraded. Not worth it at all.

Vault of Glass armor starts at 24 and caps at 30. It requires Ascendant shards, which we have hundreds or thousands of but newer players might not have any of. Similarly, not worth it.

That being said, if you do decide to upgrade your VoG or CE armor to their respective caps they'll still be lower than the Prison or Trials gear. Bringing them up to 42 is done the same way you would to a Vendor armor: Ascending with an Etheric Light (obtained from PoE 34, PoE 35, Trials of Osiris rewards and maybe Nightfalls).

Thanks for replying. It seems like it's worth saving Etheric Light for ascending weapons rather than armour.

That said I don't like some of the perks on HoW armour as I'm not always playing PoE.

Shito

Regarding dead orbit rep, mine are as follows;

Warlock = 19
Titan = 28
Hunter = 4

I've received the ship twice and bittersteel once.
Apart from weapons, armour and emblems, that's it.

#forevernorevenant
I'm rank 28 (only doing it on my hunter), and I got bittersteel and the hanged man.
Never ever got a faction ship.
Still no revenant...

Look at me, mate. I bought the collector's edition on day 1 and I haven't even finished the Venus story missions :D
:) Well there"s that:) Hope you enjoy destiny for a long while to come. Hit me up next time you need an extra body. Yesterday went great for a psn issues plagued firsttimer raid. Hilarious that one person could talk to two people that could not talk to each other:) Device and Stryker really shined on portal duty as well. Cool we didn't cheese most of it either (2 snipers on top on oracle duty during templar fight kind of is on second thought:)

nOoblet16

Oh sorry. It's actually:
- 3 shaders
- one class item per class (3 total)
- one emote per class (3 total? Don't know if they change between genders)

Yeah.

Yea the audacity of them to say sorry we made a mistake and then ask $20 for that is just ridiculous.

Not to mention the crappy 1:1 pricing, it may be slightly justifiable for Europe where the dollar to Euro difference isn't that big and also considering the fact that US prices are without taxes and EU prices are with taxes so after taxes the price comes about to be the same or close atleast. Not in UK's case where the dollar to pound difference is substantial to make enough of a difference.

It's always been the case that dollar and Euro prices are 1:1 but pound pricing is slightly lower in numerical value due to the larger difference...Bungie obviously didn't get the memo.

Manp

Now, our attention is focused on creating solutions. These things take time, so pardon our silence these past few days. In moments like these, actions speak louder than words.

We’re actively working to make the digital content from the Collector’s Edition available in a $20 upgrade bundle (suggested retail price), available on 9/15/2015. If you purchase a stand-alone version of Destiny: The Taken King, or already have, you'll be able to pick up the digital items as soon as they are available.

guys calm down! they took time to create solutions! solutions!

this shit is unbelievable... it has to be seen :|
the fact it took them days to come up with a solution that screws us over even more than the problem itself is quite telling tbh :| i'm baffled

Kyoufu

guys calm down! they took time to create solutions! solutions!

this shit is unbelievable... it has to be seen :|
the fact it took them days to come up with a solution that screws us over even more than the problem itself is quite telling tbh :| i'm baffled

They're not screwing you over even more. Before this update, the only way to get those cosmetic stuff was to buy the Destiny + Expansions bundle. Now you can buy the extra stuff separately. I don't see the value in it but it's an improvement over its initial package which involved paying for products you already own.

No offense, but why in the hell would you support this bullshit and pay $20 (even more if you're in Europe or the UK, as it's the same 20 here but our money is still worth more to the dollar) for a handful of digital cosmetic items? This should be no more than a fiver. Don't support Bungie/Activision's ridiculous pricing schemes guys. Year 1 owners are in no way getting the 'better deal'.

Because I'm cool with tossing $20 at my screen for those items. That's like... Two pizzas and breadsticks. Totally worth it.

mcz117chief

:) Well there"s that:) Hope you enjoy destiny for a long while to come. Hit me up next time you need an extra body. Yesterday went great for a psn issues plagued firsttimer raid. Hilarious that one person could talk to two people that could not talk to each other:) Device and Stryker really shined on portal duty as well. Cool we didn't cheese most of it either (2 snipers on top on oracle duty during templar fight kind of is on second thought:)

It was a night to remember.

Shito

Everyone is getting exotics from lvl 28 chest and we are wasting time and effort killing Skolas on lvl 35 for crap rewards :/
Apparently you get one chance at an exotic from your first opening of the week, per character, whatever the difficulty mode is. So if you open the chest after beating Skolas, you have the same chance than if you had done a 28 instead... only you get to enjoy the power of a solar captain suppressor auto-rifle as an added reward... ^^

Manp

They're not screwing you over even more. Before this update, the only way to get those cosmetic stuff was to buy the Destiny + Expansions bundle. Now you can buy the extra stuff separately. I don't see the value in it but it's an improvement over its initial package which involved paying for products you already own.

let's put it the other way, how would you call pricing some worthless cosmetic bullshit (and not a whole lot of it, mind you) at 20$?

we really got used to eat shit and call it icecream since the horse armor days :D

Kyoufu

Everyone is getting exotics from lvl 28 chest and we are wasting time and effort killing Skolas on lvl 35 for crap rewards :/

The only reason I have for doing Skolas is the chance of getting the Elder Cipher bounty. Otherwise, I don't see the point.

let's put it the other way, how would you call pricing some worthless cosmetic bullshit (and not a whole lot of it, mind you) at 20$?

we really got used to eat shit and call it icecream since the horse armor days :D

It equates to $2 per item. That's reasonable and acceptable
and I'll take my horse armor ty

Apparently you get one chance at an exotic from your first opening of the week, per character, whatever the difficulty mode is. So if you open the chest after beating Skolas, you have the same chance than if you had done a 28 instead... only you get to enjoy the power of a solar captain suppressor auto-rifle as an added reward... ^^

Has this been confirmed though? Apart from the very first week where everyone got a guaranteed exotic per char the first time they did lvl 28 PoE, I haven't noticed anyone getting exotic from the first chest of the week. Heck, I got an exotic from my 3rd chest on the same character last week.

ocean

Banned

Totally meaningless and useless stuff for US$20 is something most players won't be interested in. It's like your phone having a US$30 wallpaper offer. Like its a tough sell but I don't really mind the fact that it exists because not buying it doesn't detract from my experience. People who do value shaders that much can go right ahead and buy it. Don't see the problem.

Kyoufu

I personally would never buy that junk at $20. Just pointing out that it's still better than the initial offering which involved paying much more for stuff you already own.

I'm not defending Bungie here. I think it's ridiculous that they value this cosmetic junk at the same price as House of Wolves.

Shito

Has this been confirmed though? Apart from the very first week where everyone got a guaranteed exotic per char the first time they did lvl 28 PoE, I haven't noticed anyone getting exotic from the first chest of the week. Heck, I got an exotic from my 3rd chest on the same character last week.
Not confirmed, no, and it seems you have proof this theory is wrong then. :)
I had a week with two exotics in a row on my first two characters, which seemed to confirm it, but maybe it's just a flat out percentage chance anytime you open up a chest? If so, farming PoE 28 is probably the best way to farm exotics at the moment...

ocean

Banned
Not confirmed, no, and it seems you have proof this theory is wrong then. :)
I had a week with two exotics in a row on my first two characters, which seemed to confirm it, but maybe it's just a flat out percentage chance anytime you open up a chest? If so, farming PoE 28 is probably the best way to farm exotics at the moment...
Better odds than Gorgon chest and doesn't have a weekly lockout. I can't be bothered but it's a nice option to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom