• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gammacide

Gah, waiting for Variks is killing me! Not even doing any PoE until I hear from him. Fantastic rewards but the bounty itself is not my favorite at all.

So I cracked and bought the damn taken king after getting rid of it a long time ago. Is there any new mechanics? I'm at level 27 what's the best way to get light stuff again?

Also is there anything I should have gotten already? Or not till later. Read something about free guns.

ocean

Banned
"we will be introducing new Class Items with stat attributes"

:/

(although they'll release some for normal content owners too, what do you want to bet these will be the best?)
As with most items, there is rarely a "best". The E3 preview had lots of stuff subject to change but we did see class items with telemetry-style buffs like "Hand Cannons gain XP more quickly".

The fact that class items will now have stats means that no matter what the CE ones include, they'll be something you only wear some times. You'll be changing class items often to take advantage of whatever stat buff you need most at the time.

Also, please think of the Collector's goodies we got at launch. Emblems and shaders that no one uses and level 5 green weapons.

US$20 for cosmetics may or may not be worth it to you, but you won't be at a disadvantage for not buying these, ever. It's a trivial reward some guys will care enough to pay for, but not a serious thing to miss out on if you don't.

Spades

Destiny may have its problems, but now more than ever the game is less grindy and a lot more fun to play. There's so much content now that unless you played 8 hours a day there's no way you'd be able to get it all done on a weekly basis. I started my third character this past weekend and it's already at level 30 (the cap is 34); that should give you an idea on how painless leveling is now.

Stop by the thread and check out what we're all about. Hope to see you there!

Saw this post in the other thread and thought I'd follow up on here. I played a little of Destiny back when it came out but never really got into it. Despite the negative press it has received over the last week or so (and probably deserved IMO), I've had a craving to pick up the game again.

I'm interested in starting fresh and levelling up a Hunter. My question is what's the best/easiest way to level up quickly and have fun doing so? I have both expansions too; just never got round to playing them previously.

Namikaze1

I can't help but see posts here and other sites handwaving this.

It's just cosmetic stuff. Don't want it, don't buy it.

$20 is too much for 9 cosmetic stuff. $20 can get me an indie game or two. $20 can get me a FULL game for the 360, PS3, and PC. Hell, I could get some brand new games on PC for $10 more. $20 could get me vanilla Destiny. $20 could get me either TDB or HoW. Other games have cosmetic stuff for much lower than that. Anything close to $20 is always a bundle. I'm gonna use Little Big Planet 3 as an example since that's well known for its cosmetic stuff. There are 468 DLC for it. A costume pack, containing two costumes, is going for $2.99. A single costume can go up for a dollar less. The MGSV pack, containing 6 costumes is going for $5.99. That's the price all the expensive packs are going for. Now let's see CoD. Let's see what the $20 pack CoD is selling brings: 13 Advanced Supply Drops that gives you 39 different items. That's 30 more than what you get from the Destiny Cosmetic Pack. Do you see where I'm going with this? Do you see why there's a big thread on gaming side with people laughing this off? Twenty USD is too fucking much for what little stuff you get. The problem all lies in the pricing. Would people give it shit if it was $10? Of course some would still do but that's a much more reasonable price than $20.

Bungie just made the Horse Armor of this generation.

PuMa

Yeah, $20 is kinda crazy, but you still don't have to buy it. Overall, I thought the update yesterday was good. We'll see what more they have to say today.

ocean

Banned
That's the thing Nami. Cosmetics priced too expensively are all this is. If there was a US$500 shader on sale, who would give a shit? Sure some looney would buy it but most people would just see it, lol and move on.

This pricing scheme makes each item around US$2 (3 shaders, 3 emotes, 3 class items is 9 cosmetic add-ons). They should probably cost around half that. But whether this were US$5 or US$50 doesn't change the nature of what's offered: cosmetics for real money.

Whether they're worth it at that price or not is a personal choice but I can't help but consider the whole matter trivial - whether you find the price attractive or not.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The problem is that they aren't going to devalue the CE. Otherwise, why even make a CE in the first place?

Then again the idea of a "Digital" CE is absurd, but it's just another way they can try to part people with their money. I mean, they are already locking missions behind both a platform (PS exclusive strikes) and co-marketing with Red Bull, so it's not like they can further piece out the game without it being entirely overboard.

Shito

I agree with people saying $20 is too much for the content it gives, but then what?
Is it really useful getting the pitchforks and staying pissed for so long at useless vanity items being overpriced? I am all for people stating they feel it's too expensive for them, and thus deciding not to buy the damn thing. And I have nothing against people that want these items and buy them.
Now I don't think this matter is really worth debating for so long, though, while the game has still other real problems that need to be adressed. Like vault space.

That's the thing Nami. Cosmetics priced too expensively are all this is. If there was a US$500 shader on sale, who would give a shit? Sure some looney would buy it but most people would just see it, lol and move on.

This pricing scheme makes each item around US$2 (3 shaders, 3 emotes, 3 class items is 9 cosmetic add-ons). They should probably cost around half that. But whether this were US$5 or US$50 doesn't change the nature of what's offered: cosmetics for real money.

Whether they're worth it at that price or not is a personal choice but I can't help but consider the whole matter trivial - whether you find the price attractive or not.
Yep, this right here.
We have better fights to worry about than this one, I think. ^^

Namikaze1

And let's not forget the other (much bigger) issue: the price for Taken King and TTK CE for non-US folks. they're paying more than us folks here in the States.

Saw this post in the other thread and thought I'd follow up on here. I played a little of Destiny back when it came out but never really got into it. Despite the negative press it has received over the last week or so (and probably deserved IMO), I've had a craving to pick up the game again.

I'm interested in starting fresh and levelling up a Hunter. My question is what's the best/easiest way to level up quickly and have fun doing so? I have both expansions too; just never got round to playing them previously.

Burn through the story missions.. This will leave you at level 17 or 18. Crucible can get you the rest of the way to 20 fairly quickly. Doing strikes to get marks so you can buy armor from the tower or getting good drops as rewards (drops happen far more frequently now).

At level 25 you can do VoG.
Level 26 or 27 you can do PoE 28.
At 29 you can do VoG hard.
At 31 you can do CE normal and PoE 32 and Nightfall.
At 32 you can do CE hard.
At 33 you can do PoE 34.
At 34 you can do PoE 35.

There are also the Dark Below and House of Wolves story missions which will get you good gear as well. These can be tackled along the way.

This doesn't take into account being carried through higher level stuff at lower levels by good folks willing to help of course. :p

And also, doing pvp at any point also gets you the chance to get weapons and armor, along with the higher trier strikes.

So I cracked and bought the damn taken king after getting rid of it a long time ago. Is there any new mechanics? I'm at level 27 what's the best way to get light stuff again?

Also is there anything I should have gotten already? Or not till later. Read something about free guns.

you're in no hurry, it comes out September 15th. So you have 3 months of time to do whatever :D

Jinjo

I can't help but see posts here and other sites handwaving this.

It's just cosmetic stuff. Don't want it, don't buy it.

$20 is too much for 9 cosmetic stuff. $20 can get me an indie game or two. $20 can get me a FULL game for the 360, PS3, and PC. Hell, I could get some brand new games on PC for $10 more. $20 could get me vanilla Destiny. $20 could get me either TDB or HoW. Other games have cosmetic stuff for much lower than that. Anything close to $20 is always a bundle. I'm gonna use Little Big Planet 3 as an example since that's well known for its cosmetic stuff. There are 468 DLC for it. A costume pack, containing two costumes, is going for $2.99. A single costume can go up for a dollar less. The MGSV pack, containing 6 costumes is going for $5.99. That's the price all the expensive packs are going for. Now let's see CoD. Let's see what the $20 pack CoD is selling brings: 13 Advanced Supply Drops that gives you 39 different items. That's 30 more than what you get from the Destiny Cosmetic Pack. Do you see where I'm going with this? Do you see why there's a big thread on gaming side with people laughing this off? Twenty USD is too fucking much for what little stuff you get. The problem all lies in the pricing. Would people give it shit if it was $10? Of course some would still do but that's a much more reasonable price than $20.

Bungie just made the Horse Armor of this generation.

Couldn't agree with you more. Bungie/Activision is clearly overvalueing their content way, way, way too much (understatement of the year). Activision is obviously known for their Activision-tax on their stuff, because for some reason they think their stuff is worth more than other good (or better) games out there. It made me stop buying CoD games, and it might just stop me from buying Destiny games. I don't really care if and who in their right mind will pay for this stuff, it's in your complete right to do so, but objectively speaking this practice is complete and utter bullshit. I'm normally not one to say this at all cause I don't believe in the sentiment, but this time I really hope it will bite them back, the backlash is rightly deserved.

Kyne

Oh hi. Glad to see you didn't lose your way here. :)

Do you like pvp? Weapon/auto balance in pvp is pretty cool. Every match ( starting after level 8 I think?) Will gain you 4k exp, which is a little more than most story missions. It's a fantastic way to level up. That way you can go back go the story later and play it on hard for the bonus exp.

Otherwise story missions are still your go-to. It used to be that the endgame was grindy. They patched that up so well that now the first 20 levels are the major time sink.

Deku Tree

Watch those $20 codes go for $80 on ebay in a month's time.

One blacksmith armor shader code can go for over $100 on eBay. I've heard that some went for as high as $500. These codes could go for a lot more, except that they are probably not going to be as limited. And I'm not sure whether or not Bungie is going to stop selling them.

Shito

Watch those $20 codes go for $80 on ebay in a month's time.
They would have to be removed from the store for this to happen, though: didn't pay much attention because I'm not really interested in them, but are they going to be a limited offer?

hank_tree

And let's not forget the other (much bigger) issue: the price for Taken King and TTK CE for non-US folks. they're paying more than us folks here in the States.

This isn't a Bungie exclusive issue. The Final Fantasy Heavensward CE was £129/$129 aswell.

Pretty sure The Phantom Pain CE is $99/£99 aswell.

bosseye

Probably a thick question, but have the Swords of Crota been removed? I haven't seen any for months now. Can you still get bounties relating to them from Eris?

PuMa

Probably a thick question, but have the Swords of Crota been removed? I haven't seen any for months now. Can you still get bounties relating to them from Eris?

They were swapped out for the Fallen events. You can still do the Fist of Crota mission to complete those objectives though.

ocean

Banned
One of the Earth missions from TDB has a sword knight early on that counts for the bounties. Fist of Crota I think it is? Even when those Blades were on Patrol, this mission was the fastest way to farm the kills for the zeros Bounty or if you were looking for a Husk of the Pit.

Load the mission, skip through the initial battle and just head into the cave building thing the radar points towards. You're greeted by a Blade. Kill, go to orbit and repeat. Takes a minute.

A friend of mine just got a Xbox One over the weekend and his first game was.... Destiny lol. He got the $45 pack which had the base game and the two expansions bundled together (what a steal!).

Anyway, he's been following all of the outrage on reddit and I also told him about the Redbull stuff to get his take on it from a fresh perspective lol.

20oIUQn.jpg

ocean

Banned
A friend of mine just got a Xbox One over the weekend and his first game was.... Destiny lol. He got the $45 pack which had the base game and the two expansions bundled together (what a steal!).

Anyway, he's been following all of the outrage on reddit and I also told him about the Redbull stuff to get his take on it from a fresh perspective lol.

20oIUQn.jpg
This man has the right spirit.

Ikkarus

You can run the "Fist of Crota" (I think that's the right name) mission on Earth and you can find one just past Omnigul.

Only way to do it is with the first TDB story mission on earth.

You can run the "Fist of Crota" (I think that's the right name) mission on Earth and you can find one just past Omnigul.

Fist of Crota. Sparrow past all the nonsense until you get to three acolytes. Kill them. Sword spawns. Kill him. Go to orbit. Repeat.

LiK

Kinda lame they took them out so quickly. Would've been great if they spawned in and chaos ensued.

ocean

Banned
Cool thanks, and is getting armour with crucible marks from your faction person still the most reliable/best way to get a high light level?
Yeah. Good thing is once you buy it you don't have to grind to upgrade the light level on them. They're 36 Light straight from the shop, meaning a full set will take you to level 32.

At level 32, you can comfortably play basically everything in the game except Skolas :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I got Icebreaker from the nightfall! Hell yes! First really great drop I've gotten.
Admittedly, once you get a Gjallarhorn the Icebreaker becomes useless. But you're now able to cheese most of the strikes that require you to hide in a spot as you basically have unlimited special ammo now. lol

PuMa

Admittedly, once you get a Gjallarhorn the Icebreaker becomes useless. But you're now able to cheese most of the strikes that require you to hide in a spot as you basically have unlimited special ammo now. lol

Fully agree. The Icebreaker was basically just a crutch for many people during times when you aren't over-leveled for a strike of NF. It's great setting up camp in a safe spot with unlimited sniper ammo.

Been playing since before Christmas and still no horn, but I am happy as my only secondary with solar was the Murmur. I think that's a step up.

I don't know what's going on, but the TTK Digital CE on PSN for Portugal is 89.99 Eur. Wasn't it supposed to be 79.99 Eur?

noomi

Man those last few bubbles on subclasses take forever to level.

I handed in like 6 5K bounties and it barely filled 2 :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom