• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had pre-ordered Destiny, then cancelled it when everyone complained about it being light on content. So, if I were to pick it up now, would the low-level missions and things be devoid of other players, or would I still be able to find people to pug the lowbie stuff?

If I did purchase it, what would be the best option? I'm on PS4 and I saw they have some collector's edition that allows you to download all the current stuff and then get Taken King when it's released for $80. Worth?

Jinjo

Finally got my Red Death and I immediately tested it out. It is beautiful. :') Can't believe I missed buying it those few times it was available.

Admodieus

I had pre-ordered Destiny, then cancelled it when everyone complained about it being light on content. So, if I were to pick it up now, would the low-level missions and things be devoid of other players, or would I still be able to find people to pug the lowbie stuff?

If I did purchase it, what would be the best option? I'm on PS4 and I saw they have some collector's edition that allows you to download all the current stuff and then get Taken King when it's released for $80. Worth?

You want to buy the Taken King package. If you buy it digitally on PSN, you can play the original game and first two DLC now while waiting for Taken King in September.

There are always people leveling alts, so low level players are always around

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
So the shotgun re-roll guide on Reddit recommends Aggressive Ballistics as the go-to perk because it extends the range and impact, but the in-game description states that AB penalizes range.

Who to berieve?

I had four exotics drop yesterday. Two were No Land Beyond (I had one waiting at my postmaster after that community Crota run last night) for a total of three No Land Beyonds this week.

The last was Hawkmoon while grinding Dragons for Pilgrims (That's a sentence!). I've gotten eight Hawkmoon in the time it took me to get a single Gjallarhorn.

I'm convinced Monte Carlo and Fourth Horseman are a very elaborate joke played by the entire Destiny community solely on me. I'll probably only get those once Xur can sell them after exclusivity wanes. They're the only exotic guns I need.

My last exotic i needed was hawkmoon, Atheon was kind enuogh to give it to me on hard mode. felt good getting it that way. trust me, youll get them when you least expect them.

ocean

Banned
But why not emphasize the coordination and quick problem-solving instead of handicapping the player? I can think of of bosses from other games that have absolutely obliterated my ass over and over but the challenge was never tedious or exhausting because it didn't feel unfair or lazy.
I really think Skolas without a burn is a fight where coordination and problem solving is the only requirement. As long as you're all 34, the fight is won or lost as easily as your team is able to:
1. Keep rotating. You have to know when it's time to switch sides before getting swarmed
2. Pace your DPS. You don't want to attack Skolas until you've cleaned up ads. Once ads come at each 25% damage mark, forget Skolas and clean up again.
3. Pass the debuff around intelligently. You need to really solve problems quickly if someone dies (save a warlock rez until another member's time is up etc), and it forces you to move together and pay attention to your timer while dealing with everything else at the same time.
4. Move to mines intelligently. You don't want to randomly jump there without maybe cleaning up a few guys with a rocket, but you can't sit still either because if you don't get there in time you wipe.

If your team communicates and is well coordinated, the fight should be 10-30 minutes depending on the modifiers. This week is Small Arms which makes DPS difficult - your snipers and rockets damage him a lot less. Even so, it's not so much a skill based challenge as it is a coordination based one, and I like that.

I totally respect you not liking it though, it's been a divisive encounter to say the least.

Why does Bungie always make the latest PVE content always a level above max possible level?

All the more reason to love VoG. Although I find Skolas much less tedious than Scrota since damaging the boss isn't additionally gated behind this sword-only nonsense where the under-leveled penalty is really severe. Even being 1 level down AND Small Arms this week, the mighty Horn still does work on ol' Skolly.

Dunlop

MVP primary against Oracles, I'd love to try it at 365. Shame it's no good for anything else :p
I'll take any void primary just for burn events

In my 2 x VoG HM I've run since coming back I got VoC x 2 and Vex x 2
Fang in the 1 CE HM I've run
HoC in my only CE regular

So apparently my luck it's good..but I still need a void primary :)

ocean

Banned
So the shotgun re-roll guide on Reddit recommends Aggressive Ballistics as the go-to perk because it extends the range and impact, but the in-game description states that AB penalizes range.

Who to berieve?
A Matador with Rifled or Reinforced Barrel will hit the range cap with Aggressive. Field Choke has more range but it'll just go over the hard limit and do nothing.

ethomaz

Banned

Who to berieve?
The in game bars... it increase the base range.

Remember when we used to get unrationally excited for Xur?

yeah, now its like "what is going to have I dont need this week?"

Althuogh I rolled like 12 engrams this morning trying to get either the ram or nighthawk. I got neither. but I leveled up the cryptacrh who gave me a legendary engram which turned into mantacles. I needed those! so I spent 276 motes on Nothing mantacles and 12 exotic shards.

All in all, I feel like I got taken in by a 3 card monte dealer

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I really think Skolas without a burn is a fight where coordination and problem solving is the only requirement. As long as you're all 34, the fight is won or lost as easily as your team is able to:
1. Keep rotating. You have to know when it's time to switch sides before getting swarmed
2. Pace your DPS. You don't want to attack Skolas until you've cleaned up ads. Once ads come at each 25% damage mark, forget Skolas and clean up again.
3. Pass the debuff around intelligently. You need to really solve problems quickly if someone dies (save a warlock rez until another member's time is up etc), and it forces you to move together and pay attention to your timer while dealing with everything else at the same time.
4. Move to mines intelligently. You don't want to randomly jump there without maybe cleaning up a few guys with a rocket, but you can't sit still either because if you don't get there in time you wipe.

If your team communicates and is well coordinated, the fight should be 10-30 minutes depending on the modifiers. This week is Small Arms which makes DPS difficult - your snipers and rockets damage him a lot less. Even so, it's not so much a skill based challenge as it is a coordination based one, and I like that.

I totally respect you not liking it though, it's been a divisive encounter to say the least.

Well to be honest I haven't tried Skolas yet so my assumptions here could be WAY off. I was speaking more in general terms in that the end-game PVE stuff is always one level above. I would prefer to see them explore different ways to crank up the challenge without a level handicap.

Holy fuck how do pulse rifles kill you so fast?!??!??

Headshots

Bob and weave

my Hopscotch Pilgrim just waved

dat impact tho

JN2nbQD.png

ocean

Banned
Holy fuck how do pulse rifles kill you so fast?!??!??
People say HC are OP because there's three that land 2 shot kills. Pulse Rifles are a bigger problem since there's an entire class that can do that and not just 3 exotics (any high impact pulse). They overdid the buff. They fire too quick to be 2 shot kills. The only primaries with 2 shot capability should be HIPFIRE (not ADS) TLW with headshots or NLB.

gatti-man

Destiny bros, mainly bros who pvp and especially Trials bros I got my scuff controller in and played with it. So so nice for pvp. I put Rez and slide on the buttons underneath the controller. Corner sliding and rezing now keep my hands on the sticks 24-7 longer sticks help with sniping and let me tick up the sensitivity. It's not a huge difference but it definitely helps especially in trials for quick and more aggressive rezing.

ethomaz

Banned
People say HC are OP because there's three that land 2 shot kills. Pulse Rifles are a bigger problem since there's an entire class that can do that and not just 3 exotics (any high impact pulse). They overdid the buff. They fire too quick to be 2 shot kills. The only primaries with 2 shot capability should be HIPFIRE (not ADS) TLW with headshots or NLB.
NLB needs to be one headshot kill like others snipers.

It is fine because it is really slow for a sniper... so a primary that one headshot kill but is bad in everything else is fine because you won't kill two guys in a row.

EL CUCO

I disagree about PR's being OP. High impact are pretty slow and usually give you enough time to retreat if you get tagged by one. You just have to know what you're going up against and adjust accordingly. If you're sitting duck, you're getting popped.

Damn, too good.

Edit: Also, having trouble looking for great PvP streamers. Not a fan of those that are constantly looking at chat.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat for streamers honestly. I like Triple Wreck better than most others but the gif pop-ups and sound bites get annoying. AEGabriel is a great player and you can learn a lot about Titan speed, but he barely talks and doesn't really explain anything. Plus his chat is super immature and there's no actual discussion going on, just pp jokes. Giggle Monster is pretty good if you haven't watched him before, his clan also has a lot of raid speed run records so they do both high level PvE and PvP. That Tfue guy (first to solo Skolas) is decent, I've seen a few sweaty matches but he doesn't give a ton of explanation either.

Some of the other big streamers like Goth, Broman and Lauren are just "entertainer" streamers, a place to hang out, not what I'm looking for. Honestly Stabie and Nghtly are the two best PvP streamers I've watched. I'm always amazed how relaxed Nghtly is considering how much I rage out, haha. Phaethon was doing a pretty legit impression of him last night.

Yeah, it is. He was picking up heavy for the rest of the match since the first drop. Proves how ridiculous it used to be. Also how crazy machine guns can be,

Machine guns are being boxed out from Thorn I believe. It's too risky to use one when Thorn (and other exotic Hand Cannons) have such crazy TTKs. Nothing feels more infuriating than a tie against someone's primary weapon against your heavy. Even though you both started shooting at the same time.

I noticed a dramatic shift in Rocket usage after the huge hand cannon flux in PvP.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat for streamers honestly. I like Triple Wreck better than most others but the gif pop-ups and sound bites get annoying. AEGabriel is a great player and you can learn a lot about Titan speed, but he barely talks and doesn't really explain anything. Plus his chat is super immature and there's no actual discussion going on, just pp jokes. Giggle Monster is pretty good if you haven't watched him before, his clan also has a lot of raid speed run records so they do both high level PvE and PvP. That Tfue guy (first to solo Skolas) is decent, I've seen a few sweaty matches but he doesn't give a ton of explanation either.

Some of the other big streamers like Goth, Broman and Lauren are just "entertainer" streamers, a place to hang out, not what I'm looking for. Honestly Stabie and Nghtly are the two best PvP streamers I've watched. I'm always amazed how relaxed Nghtly is considering how much I rage out, haha. Phaethon was doing a pretty legit impression of him last night.

It's hilarious when Nghtly gets upset because it's so rare. He gets so aggressive and starts quick scoping everyone from shotgun range hahaha. Watching him and Legend play is a thing of beauty.

Trust me Apple we ALL have gone through the exact same feelings. I have that and my mid life crisis every few weeks. They've tried to make the game less grindy, so what everyone is saying is valid - in that if Destiny 2 or a future expansion strikes your fancy you wouldn't have to start over. But hey it's your choice and I wish you the best.

Sigh, and after saying this, I went on a date to cool off, just to start missing it the next day and spend three hours farming marks and doing strikes (And having to report an arsehole for the first time).

I don't even understand how I keep going at it despite the hate I keep building. Now I have two pieces of legendary armour and level 28 (see status at the bottom), but I don't even know why I keep logging. Playing with randoms is not always that fun and I am not interested that much in doing VoG, so maybe it is more like mindless time wasting right now and not wanting start another game (Although I am playing Persona 3 Portable between loads and waiting for events). Not to mention that most of the strike playlist keeps happening on The Summoning Pits for me (The RNG must love this strike), and my weapons don't work very well anymore. Unless something good can drop with the strikes, I'd have to keep earning vanguard reputation to use the Vanguard Armory.

Anyways, selling the game is the best I could do now. Once the Taken King Edition comes out my base retail game will be worthless, and buying the whole package for 60€ is much cheaper than having to spend 75€ on the season pass and the last DLC. That if by any chance feels like a real expansion.

SaQgpoTl.jpg

PuMa

Destiny bros, mainly bros who pvp and especially Trials bros I got my scuff controller in and played with it. So so nice for pvp. I put Rez and slide on the buttons underneath the controller. Corner sliding and rezing now keep my hands on the sticks 24-7 longer sticks help with sniping and let me tick up the sensitivity. It's not a huge difference but it definitely helps especially in trials for quick and more aggressive rezing.

Awesome. Looks so nice.

ocean

Banned
NLB needs to be one headshot kill like others snipers.

It is fine because it is really slow for a sniper... so a primary that one headshot kill but is bad in everything else is fine because you won't kill two guys in a row.

Oh it actually is a one headshot kill (even unleveled with zero perks unlocked), I should have specified. But yeah, The Last Word being able to 2-headshot on Hipfire is OK because it's range-limited and extremely hard to do. Hawkmoon fires slow enough to be countered and only randomly 2 shots.

Thorn and high impact pulse rifles being able to kill in 2 shots while aiming down sights at fairly long ranges? Nah. If you take away one 7-damage tick from Thorn, it no longer 2 shots. But you'd still have the issue of every single Pulse Rifle.

High impact Hand Cannons take 3 shots to kill, and so do high impact Scout Rifles. Pulse Rifles fire more quickly and can 2 shot - that's a problem. Again, nothing should 2 shot IMO, TTK is just way too low.

If Hand Cannons and Scout Rifles kill in 3 headshots, so should Pulse Rifles. They'd then be differentiated by range/accuracy instead of outright effectivity. If high impact weapons killed in 3 headshots and Auto Rifles re-gained their higher crit multiplier, all weapon classes would be fairly balanced.

Of course hardcore players will still min/max and find the best. Something will always be the best, and that's ok. The problem is having such an enormous delta between the current best and what follows.

ethomaz

Banned
I disagree about PR's being OP. High impact are pretty slow and usually give you enough time to retreat if you get tagged by one. You just have to know what you're going up against and adjust accordingly. If you're sitting duck, you're getting popped.
Yeap... the three main HC will win in a one-to-one battle against any PR... unless you really suck at aiming with HC lol

Baliis

I love Nghtly's stream and got a chance to do trials with him last week. Super cool dude, always had advice when I screwed up and praise when I pulled off something crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom