• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

I thought this was a pretty good interview, and while there's clearly a lot he can't talk about yet, gives some great hints and confirmations of things.

Hamilton: Would you put it on par with the original story length from vanilla Destiny? Is it closer to that or an expansion?

Smith: The number of selectable activities in the director is much closer to vanilla Destiny than it is to any of the DLCs.
Pretty encouraging given the price.

Smith: I think that’s a great question and one I would really be concerned about too as a player… There’s a fully-realized campaign, cinematics, I believe there’s a story up today that says they’re skippable… It’s a rich campaign that’s gonna continue the story in the Destiny universe. Rich campaign, cinematics, story-telling, a bunch of new strikes—we’re not talking about how many—there’s patrols. We’ve updated patrols all across the game world.
Patrols are getting refreshed across the board.

Smith: The number of selectable activities in the director is much closer to vanilla Destiny than it is to any of the DLCs. There is a lot of content in the game for players. One of the things we’re doing is introducing a bunch of content in the endgame, so there’ll be new stuff to do in the endgame that’s not just your ritual activities. We want players to have sort of new stuff to uncover, and we’re not talking about any of that yet, of course, but I’m really excited to talk about it later this year.
New endgagme activities.

Schreier: In PVE, something that’s frustrated us a lot is that sometimes to ramp the difficulty up instead of adding new encounters or challenges, you guys just raise the level cap higher than players can get. That happened with Crota on hard and it happened with Prison of Elders—is that something you guys are going to continue to do? Is it something you saw as a temporary solution?

Smith: I think that we’re not gonna talk too much about difficulty today, but I will say that I empathize completely with those concerns and the level delta stuff has been a source of controversy and discussion internally. And when we unpack the way the game’s gonna work later this year I hope that people see that we’re learning and reacting to those criticisms.
Prediction: we get more difficulty / gameplay modifiers that are deployed to replace level scaling.

Smith: We hope not only that it’s—you don’t get to see everything at once, but we also hope that a bunch of things that you see as you’re adventuring around the Dreadnaught, at some point you’re like ‘oh my gosh, I wonder if that’s a portal’ and then you figure out what it does. Or you see a sliver of light in the distance and you see a treasure chest out there and you’re like ‘oh my gosh how are we gonna get out there?’ And then when you get out there, and you try to open the treasure chest, it’s locked. And now you’re like, ‘well now what, how do we figure this out?’ That’s definitely one of those design rules we have, which is to make a destination that feels a little bit different.
The explorability of the Dreadnought sounds fooking awesome.

Taken King is going to feel very much like a re-launch of the game.

|OT| House Divided

We must play for different reasons. I'd much rather play for no gun than for a less fun gun that just has a better damage rating but weaker perks. I want to use the guns that I worked hard to get and just have fun killing shit with them. Give me puzzles and other challenges (Like ToO) to keep me playing.

The PoE guns are in most cases worse than vendor guns since they trade the second perk for shank burn and whatnot.

I played Halo 3 for-flippin-ever, and it's not like new weapons or armor was ever introduced there.

I play for the gameplay mechanics mostly. Stumbling across new loot is pleasant, but totally a tertiary reason that I keep playing this game.

Hyun Sai

In PvE pretty much all the weapons are viable which have elemental perks. Maybe they should make non-elemental weapons have better base stats or limit certain perks to non-elemental weapons. That way it puts you in a position to choose.

Yeah, imagine if all the non elemental scout rifles had Firefly as PVE hidden perk on top of the others ? I don't know, there are plenty of things to make weapons that we would want to use, you just need somebody with some imagination at weapon design.

I understand 100% the weapon issue wouldn't be a problem for me if there was new encounters and new things to do. Its my own fault for playing so much but once you have done all the content multiple times. It becomes a loot chase.

I know I would also be mad if my old guns were outdated but the new stuff isn't even on the same level it seems.

Deku Tree

Smith: I didn’t work at all on the Thorn bounty, but one of the things—I agree with you, the Thorn bounty is a really fun, across the game world tour of player experiences that ends with you getting a unique-feeling activity that just has a little extra moment that’s kinda cool. That bounty chain was so influential in the way that we’re thinking about things with The Taken King, that, while I’m not gonna talk about anything specifically, that bounty is a good tilt in the direction we want to go with players having goals that they’re working towards and having a cool pot of gold at the end of that activity.

Schreier: In retrospect, what do you regret most, what do you wish you had done differently when Destiny launched, or even when Dark Below launched?

Smith: I think that we’ve hidden a bunch of the fun parts of the game away, and we’ve like—the thrill of acquiring gear is one of those pieces of fun that we’ve hidden away… How do we get loot into the world? How do we make the acquiring of loot part of the story? Thorn’s a good example of that.

Schreier: So more stuff like Vestian Dynasty and [items] that you get as a natural progression as opposed to having to roll for them.

Smith: Yeah, and even stuff where like, when you kill a monster loot comes off him, and some of it you’re excited to hoover up, cause it’s gonna be sweet.

The whole system of Loot acquiring in TTK is heavily influenced by the Thorn bounty. Sounds fantastic.

Yeah, imagine if all the non elemental scout rifles had Firefly as PVE hidden perk on top of the others ? I don't know, there are plenty of things to make weapons that we would want to use, you just need somebody with some imagination at weapon design.

Yeah exactly.

I mean if they done something along the lines that i suggested it would be a case of :

- Do i take this harder hitting overall weapon with better perks

or

- Do i take this elemental weapon which doesn't hit as hard but it's really useful against shielded enemies?

It would mean that raid composition would become more important too in regards to weapon archtype etc, to find the right balance of what is required.

Hyun Sai

The whole system of Loot acquiring in TTK is heavily influenced by the Thorn bounty. Sounds fantastic.

Not if I'm forced to do PVP. Lucky for me, the Thorn is not a good PVE weapon, so I won't miss it. If they start locking some powerful PVE stuff behind PVP (like some stuff I read about The Division), I'm out. I'll really wait to see what happens there before jumping.

Lnkn52

Not if I'm forced to do PVP. Lucky for me, the Thorn is not a good PVE weapon, so I won't miss it. If they start locking some powerful PVE stuff behind PVP (like some stuff I read about The Division), I'm out. I'll really wait to see what happens there before jumping.

Thorn is great against the Cabals.

jschreier

I second this. I'm getting tired of the question as well, and they all seem to be asking it. Does Bungie give them a list of PR questions or something? I don't think any real player is asking "Luke, I'm really tired of Fatebringer, could you please make it irrelevant?"

If you want me to put it away, give me a better gun, don't force it.
I don't think I was asking him to make old weapons irrelevant as much as I was asking how he's going to make players want to use new weapons at all given that the old ones are still so good. Personally, I want to use my Vex forever, but I'd love it if something else came along that I can enjoy just as much.

zewone

I'm just translating Luke's comment. Do you disagree with my translation? Or do you disagree with his comment?

I disagree with his comment.

Guns and armor are intended for use in PVE and PVP. Some are obviously better suited for one or the other, but they shouldn't make the rewards for PVP any less rewarding.

darthbob

I thought this was a pretty good interview, and while there's clearly a lot he can't talk about yet, gives some great hints and confirmations of things.

Pretty encouraging given the price.

Patrols are getting refreshed across the board.

New endgagme activities.

Prediction: we get more difficulty / gameplay modifiers that are deployed to replace level scaling.

The explorability of the Dreadnought sounds fooking awesome.

Taken King is going to feel very much like a re-launch of the game.

Pretty stoked. Feels like the $40 price is justified.

Deku Tree

I disagree with his comment.

Guns and armor are intended for use in PVE and PVP. Some are obviously better suited for one or the other, but they shouldn't make the rewards for PVP any less rewarding.

I just noticed that he said it twice in the same interview:

Smith: I think we were going for an intense PVP activity that rewarded teamwork, skill, and had an unpredictable fidelity for who you’re gonna match with. I think that a thing we didn’t anticipate very well was the way players would react to the rewards. I’ve seen a lot of frustration online with players who really want to get those weapons. For some of those things that a primarily PVE player would care about, for them to not be able to work towards this thing is really frustrating.

They are definately thinking about it and they don't want to frustrate primarily PvE players by locking elemental primaries away from them.

I think house of wolves didnt have a dedicated exotic this time like the Vex and the Necro

I mean... yes and no.

There was no dedicated exotic weapon, but there was a dedicated exotic bounty.

There are no exotics weapons in HoW that don't involve you doing the endgame PvE content, so it's more like they doubled down on their old philosophy.

They are definately thinking about it and they don't want to frustrate primarily PvE players by locking elemental primaries away from them.

What would be interesting is if players started getting elemental defensive gear like Void resistence (seen at E3) or Arc or Solar. Then it turns out the best PvP weapons are actually all Kinetic, and using an elemental weapon would be very risky and overall harmful to yourself.

Don't worry, they lied to you. Crota's End didn't have any dedicated exotic either.

I still realy want a Necro. It's gonna be a god tier weapon when it gets buffed.

I've spent about 4 hours or so farming for a Husk.

No Bueno.

Yeah i noticed this too. It's a good change imo.

Deku Tree

I don't think I was asking him to make old weapons irrelevant as much as I was asking how he's going to make players want to use new weapons at all given that the old ones are still so good. Personally, I want to use my Vex forever, but I'd love it if something else came along that I can enjoy just as much.

Just wanted to say thanks for the interview Jason! That was probably the most informative interview that I remember reading about Destiny this e3. Very good questions!

And this scoop:

Schreier: Without spoiling anything, can you talk a little more about what we’re gonna see in the Dreadnaught raid?

Smith: No. (laughter)

Hamilton: Is it set in the world? Is it like Vault of Glass where it’s “there”? Or is it like Crota’s End where you have to fly there?

Smith: It is set in the world.

Good news! I hated that CE was its own instance.

rNilla

I think this is all anyone is asking for when they talk about old weapons. At least, this is what I want.

I guess the end result is that the old stuff would be "invalidated" --- but it should be because we have better options, not because we simply can't use them anymore.

LTWood12

Welcome back to Destiny GAF Jason. You need to play Trials w/ Unstable and write a story about what a tight-knit community we have here! You won't find a nicer group of people in the Destiny community.

I have farmed for that thing multiple times to no avail. Only exotic weapon I'm missing. I've had a Crux since Late February.

I tried to bring this up on Reddit when the Wolves first started prowling but no one seemed to give a shit, and those that did just pointed me towards Fist of Crota.

I remember I proposed that all the Sword Bearers in Crota's End should have the same drop tables as the Blades of Crota to compensate for the now lack of Blades patrolling the Earth and Moon.

Nechro is also the only exotic I'm missing. still waiting on that Crux.

zewone

That's really stupid.

A person who plays PVP is without a doubt, someone who also plays PVE.

A person who considers themselves a PVE player is making a conscious decision to only play half of the game. Why do we have to cater to them? In fact, if they want elemental primaries they have a ton of different options and Etheric Light gives them the same Attack Level.

Bungie really needs to stop listening to the whiners. They are bending the knee more and more. It's disappointing.

LTWood12

I tried to bring this up on Reddit when the Wolves first started prowling but no one seemed to give a shit, and those that did just pointed me towards Fist of Crota.

I remember I proposed that all the Sword Bearers in Crota's End should have the same drop tables as the Blades of Crota to compensate for the now lack of Blades patrolling the Earth and Moon.

Nechro is also the only exotic I'm missing. still waiting on that Crux.

I concur. Been playing since TDB dropped. I'd wager during the Dark Below era, I killed over 200 Blades of Crota. No Husk.

Schreier: So more stuff like Vestian Dynasty and [items] that you get as a natural progression as opposed to having to roll for them.

Smith: Yeah, and even stuff where like, when you kill a monster loot comes off him, and some of it you’re excited to hoover up, cause it’s gonna be sweet.

Taking a cue from Borderlands there?

Even E3 Destiny had a bunch of loot fly out of enemies when you killed them. This is good news.

That's really stupid.

A person who plays PVP is without a doubt, someone who also plays PVE.

A person who considers themselves a PVE player is making a conscious decision to only play half of the game. Why do we have to cater to them? In fact, if they want elemental primaries they have a ton of different options and Etheric Light gives them the same Attack Level.

Bungie really needs to stop listening to the whiners. They are bending the knee more and more. It's disappointing.

I mean, I've been to Mercury a number of times. And it wouldn't be such a problem if the Mercury weapons weren't, without a doubt, vastly superior PvE weapons that the Prison of Elders ones. I think it's fine having certain gear locked that you can only get from playing certain modes. But at least make all of it worth while.

Taking a cue from Borderlands there?

Even E3 Destiny had a bunch of loot fly out of enemies when you killed them. This is good news.

More like taking a cue from the pre-alpha build.

One of the first videos we saw of destiny had them killing that archon in the room at the beginning of the game next to the divide and a yellow engram shot out of it's head giving the player a thunderlord.

He's right now. Getting loot from a boss is a hell of a lot more rewarding than getting loot from a "mission complete" screen.

More like taking a cue from the pre-alpha build.

One of the first videos we saw of destiny had them killing that archon in the room at the beginning of the game next to the divide and a yellow engram shot out of it's head giving the player a thunderlord.

He's right now. Getting loot from a boss is a hell of a lot more rewarding than getting loot from a "mission complete" screen.

Yeah that's why I said E3 Destiny. :p

And I agree, I wanna see loot fly out of the bosses!

So those of you guys playing trials, whats the most common startup strategy? Do people just charge for the main building, or do people play the sneaky snake game outside?

Yeah that's why I said E3 Destiny. :p

And I agree, I wanna see loot fly out of the bosses!

Ahh, sorry. Destiny has been at E3 for 4 years running, wasn't sure which time you meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom