• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitsurugi

Yeah there were certainly some good teams around, although a lot of them were final rounding, so couldn't tell if they were really good. Lost a couple of games but you get so many coins for losing that you can keep buying the buffs.

Did anyone test if you can get more then 9 coins total on the same char?

Also: up for poe 34/35 if anyone is still playing that ^^

GhaleonEB

So today I am locked of both daily and weeklies due to only having the base game and not wanting to buy the DLC because a) it's not even a month since I bought the game b) I'd rather wait for the legendary edition with everything.

How do you guys put up with all of this bullshit? I can understand not being able to access the new features, but being unable to access thing I paid for? The only reason I keep putting with all of this must be pure and simple addiction. And if it is expected to have this same model for the next years...

And here I was thinking that WoW was bad.

They're trying to strike a balance. If they only keep base content in the daily/weekly activity rotation, people who have the DLC get mad. If they use them, then people who only have the base game get locked out. At least the HoW change of splitting the weekly Heroic and the NF helps your situation somewhat.

As to how we put up with this bullshit...I'm pretty sure nearly everyone here has the DLC. It's an understandable frustration, but an inevitable one given the nature of the game. (Personally I love it when the HoW missions and strike are in the mix; they are both excellent, and something I haven't played a ton of yet.)

Whoyouare

I hope the competition has indeed died down. All I really care about is getting the rocket launcher this week.

I can't sleep. Anyone around on ps4 to run some trials? If so I'll sign on.

Grim score is irrelevant to skill. Nghtly has ~2500 and he's no.1 on PlayStation. :p

That was what I'm trying to say. High grimoire means that you did a lot of grinding (I'll probably never get the ogres, hydra's and rumble games), never underestimate.
I might have been guilty of underestimating once or twice, turned out well eventually but I learned my lesson :p

ocean

Banned
Grim score is irrelevant to skill. Nghtly has ~2500 and he's no.1 on PlayStation. :p
Yup, I think Grimoire is only a meaningful proxy for skill if it's extremely low (indicating newness and the attending reduced familiarity with the game). Anyone ~2000+ will not get any better at the game for having completed more public events or farmed ghosts.

As to how we put up with this bullshit...I'm pretty sure nearly everyone here has the DLC. It's an understandable frustration, but an inevitable one given the nature of the game. (Personally I love it when the HoW missions and strike are in the mix; they are both excellent, and something I haven't played a ton of yet.)

I expected I would get the DLC if after milking the base if I wanted enough, but this is like forcing the people to buy... Which I don't find it funny when I have so little time to "enjoy" the base.

Best thing I can do I bring back the game to GAME and wait for the legendary, but... Freaking addiction making me want to drop cash already.

Cronen

Hey GAF, so I got Destiny not too long after launch. I did the story stuff, and I think I got to level 23 or 24 using Light? I remember that after the level cap you have to rank up your gear to level up further? I never got a high enough level to do the Vault of Glass, and if I remember rightly, I was at a position where I was having to grind up marks to buy better gear.

What I want to know, as someone that doesn't have any of the expansions/DLC, has much of the game changed that it's worth me jumping back in? Has Bungie updated the game in any way where I could feasibly level up easily to do the Vault of Glass? Basically, have they changed the systems in that game in any way so I don't have to grind multiplayer for marks, etc?

They're trying to strike a balance. If they only keep base content in the daily/weekly activity rotation, people who have the DLC get mad. If they use them, then people who only have the base game get locked out. At least the HoW change of splitting the weekly Heroic and the NF helps your situation somewhat.

They could have 2 or 3 dailies each day, but you only get rewards for the first one you do per day. Same deal for Nightfall and Weekly. Just pick the one you prefer/can actually play.

ocean

Banned
Hey GAF, so I got Destiny not too long after launch. I did the story stuff, and I think I got to level 23 or 24 using Light? I remember that after the level cap you have to rank up your gear to level up further? I never got a high enough level to do the Vault of Glass, and if I remember rightly, I was at a position where I was having to grind up marks to buy better gear.

What I want to know, as someone that doesn't have any of the expansions/DLC, has much of the game changed that it's worth me jumping back in? Has Bungie updated the game in any way where I could feasibly level up easily to do the Vault of Glass? Basically, have they changed the systems in that game in any way so I don't have to grind multiplayer for marks, etc?
I looked you up on DestinyStatus and it seems you are roughly Rank 1 with 3 different factions. It would have been preferable to funnel your reputation into one faction first so you could reach Rank 2 and be able to buy armor.

That part of the game has not changed. I wish it did because it's very taxing on a new player to make them grind for the initial level up.

However, armor used to be sold at low Light levels and then had to be upgraded through a grindy process. The current gear sold by Vendors comes at +36 Light straight off, no upgrades required. A full set of vendor armor straight off the shelf makes you level 32, high enough to play everything in the game.

bitsurugi

I use it as a 1st refference. Then i look at the gear, lastly i look at the way the play 1st round. Then i got a clue.

But if you see high grimoire, with thorn/TLW and scumbag fast revive and final rounds... yeah... you are in for some pain... usually :)

I think PvP now gives twice as many (?) marks per game. So less grind there. Still capped at 100 available per week though.

Then that's pretty much it. All I can do is try for VoG this weekend, and sell the game on monday, then wait for the Legendary in September and play Persona in the meantime (or Warframe, no redbullshit required). Or go to the pride march tomorrow instead. I was planning on binge gaming until falling asleep today, but...

In any case, Do I have what it takes for it? Warlock, Level 28, 1275 defense, no legendary weaponry. Really bad with gamepad aiming and more of a load for the team, although I am fast at reviving people.

Theorry

Polygon: "The Taken King will make people who are confused about Destiny's story very happy"

At E3, we played the first slice of the expansion's new campaign. Based on what we saw, this time [the campaign]'s going to change in ways that will make people who are confused about its story — and particularly fans of developer Bungie's former franchise Halo — very happy.

When you land, the story begins, and Commander Zavala (beautifully voiced by Lance Reddick) serves as the narrator. (...) My character even spoke back to Zavala. There was actual, meaningful reaction. And when what he said was confusing to [my character] (and by extension, me) he responded with the appropriate amount of confusion. He gave me a voice.

In terms of narrative presentation, The Taken King feels more like Halo than Destiny.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/18/8803071/destiny-taken-king-impressions-hands-on-e3-2015

Lol yeah, we faced a team with 2 guys having max grimoire score carrying a guy with 1900 grimoire. Turned out that the 1900 one was the best player :p

Remember that Stabie has probably 1500 Grimoire on X1...

I'd be willing to bet that you EU folks faced much stiffer competition because Trials launches in the evening for you when more people at available. Nghtly and Stabie are both California-based so we ran our matches from 10am until ~1pm PST when a lot of good players probably aren't around. Out of the 22 matches we played, only one even went to a 5-3 final score, even with Stabie hobbled by serious ankle pain. Tons of low grimoires.

Remember that Stabie has probably 1500 Grimoire on X1...

I'd be willing to bet that you EU folks faced much stiffer competition because Trials launches in the evening for you when more people at available. Nghtly and Stabie are both California-based so we ran our matches from 10am until ~1pm PST when a lot of good players probably aren't around. Out of the 22 matches we played, only one even went to a 5-3 final score, even with Stabie hobbled by serious ankle pain. Tons of low grimoires.

Yeah that seems to be the case, especially on Friday evenings. Our matches are not pretty on Friday but winning close matches against good teams is so much more satisfying than steamrolling 5-0 every game.

What happened to Unstable's ankle?

Yeah that seems to be the case, especially on Friday evenings. Our matches are not pretty on Friday but winning close matches against good teams is so much more satisfying than steamrolling 5-0 every game.

What happened to Unstable's ankle?

He got black hammer on xbox on his first Crota kill, threw the controller in the air and it landed on his ankle :p

^He said he just rolled it while moving stuff/reorganizing his office, but it started to swell up a bunch and get pretty painful during our runs.

Hey man, are you down to help out with trials? Me and hydro are looking to get a good run going.

Hey, sorry I missed you guys. I ended up helping those other folks a bit and didn't check the thread again until way later. Hope you had some decent luck with your matches!

I'll be around this morning if anyone wants to do a little Trials or more low key Doubles/Salvage.

Then that's pretty much it. All I can do is try for VoG this weekend, and sell the game on monday, then wait for the Legendary in September and play Persona in the meantime (or Warframe, no redbullshit required). Or go to the pride march tomorrow instead. I was planning on binge gaming until falling asleep today, but...

In any case, Do I have what it takes for it? Warlock, Level 28, 1275 defense, no legendary weaponry. Really bad with gamepad aiming and more of a load for the team, although I am fast at reviving people.

Level 28 is perfect for Normal VoG. What time(s) would you be available? If there are any other newbies around today I'd be happy to sherpa a run, we could probably get another experienced player or two to fill out the roster if necessary.

Euro DGAF...who wants to go to gamescom?

I will be there 7-9th August, ruthless might join too. Tears and EJ what say you?

I think we were in the considering phase for too long and Friday 7th and Saturday 8th are sold out now :(
Don't know if it's worth to go on Sunday 9th though.

I'll be around this morning if anyone wants to do a little Trials or more low key Doubles/Salvage.

I'd be down for some Trials if we can find a third :)

nOoblet16

I think we were in the considering phase for too long and Friday 7th and Saturday 8th are sold out now :(

What about thursday?

Afternoon tickets (from 2pm) are still available for friday and saturday.

Sold out already? Damn..i was hoping to plan a trip to germany and netherlands in august :/

I can do some trials for fun and the shader..

Level 28 is perfect for Normal VoG. What time(s) would you be available? If there are any other newbies around today I'd be happy to sherpa a run, we could probably get another experienced player or two to fill out the roster if necessary.

Sure. PS4, Figaliz. I should be available from 17:00 to 20:00 and 21:00 to 03:00, GMT+1. I only have the headset that came with the console, so after 22:00 I switch to headphones and I can't use a mic. In any case, I don't usually talk, more like listening to orders. I am too shy for that. Non native english speaker, so I can have issues with accents or jargon from time to time.

The biggest problem is that we are in the middle of a heat wave and I am unsure about how much temperature can go up after lunch. with no AC. The later, the better for me.

Sold out already? Damn..i was hoping to plan a trip to germany and netherlands in august :/

I can do some trials for fun and the shader..

Tickets are still available for Thursday 6th and Sunday 9th, and as Nooblet said afternoon tickets for Friday and Sunday (after 2 pm). I don't think the latter will be an option for me though, it is a 3.5h trip with the train, so I would like to enjoy the whole day.

I can come, I don't mind. And like I said afternoon tickets will be available for friday and saturday.

Also seems like friday/saturday day tickets are available here
http://www.saturn.de/mcs/shop/games-com-2015.html

Great, I'll check it out! My German should be good enough to read that :p

Sure. PS4, Figaliz. I should be available from 17:00 to 20:00 and 21:00 to 03:00, GMT+1. I only have the headset that came with the console, so after 22:00 I switch to headphones and I can't use a mic. In any case, I don't usually talk, more like listening to orders. I am too shy for that. Non native english speaker, so I can have issues with accents or jargon from time to time.

The biggest problem is that we are in the middle of a heat wave and I am unsure about how much temperature can go up after lunch. with no AC. The later, the better for me.

I might be able to help out as well if needed. Where are you from, I'm not a native English speaker myself so I won't laugh at any (grammar) mistakes.

I'll help too if the raid gets organised, there were a couple more new players looking for a first time VoG run...we can get a team going.

nOoblet16

I am fine with thursday...I'll try to see if it is possible to buy tickets online through saturn for friday/saturday (they seem to have a checkout option but then direct me to store locations in germany)

Tickets are still available for Thursday 6th and Sunday 9th, and as Nooblet said afternoon tickets for Friday and Sunday (after 2 pm). I don't think the latter will be an option for me though, it is a 3.5h trip with the train, so I would like to enjoy the whole day.

Yeah makes sense, not worth going all the way just for a few hours.

Tickets seem cheap though, 15-20 euros / day isn't bad at all.

Yeah makes sense, not worth going all the way just for a few hours.

Tickets seem cheap though, 15-20 euros / day isn't bad at all.

Yeah not bad at all, I might even abuse my student card and go for 8 euro's :p
Train will be around 29-38 euro's for an one-way ticket.

Would be fun to have a little DGAF meeting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom