• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

zewone

I'm surprised you're all so taken with the level/Light level increase. That's all the way down at the very bottomy bottom of my list of things I care about. hehe

Because more base levels would likely indicate new abilites for the old subclasses.

Why would you not care about that?

ocean

Banned
I'm surprised you're all so taken with the level/Light level increase. That's all the way down at the very bottomy bottom of my list of things I care about.

Additionally, you didn't mention at all in your value analysis that factor that is second most compelling to me: new exotics. TDB and HoW both added a fair handful of new desirable Exotic armor pieces and largely missed the mark on Exotic weaponry altogether. TDB's weapons simply weren't desirable outside of the 4th Horseman and while HoW's are moreso, but locked behind entirely uninspired bounties and multiple RNG gates (though this was improved in the second most recent patch).

But you wrote the guides on light leveling! Also on exotics: check the last paragraph you cited me on :p we are on the same page regarding exotics.

Namikaze1

woops, fixed it haha.

Not sure when I should do it though, power leveling through the story will take me 6 hours with some help, then getting him geared and leveling both subclasses is going to take... a long time.

I really want to catch up to my backlog, but if I'm leveling a new class.... I'll never get to play Witcher or Batman :(
I just need to do Poe twice and finish this bounty for dreg's promise. After that, I'm putting all my time towards Witcher. Need to beat that soon since batman is just a few days away.

CLBridges

I'm calling it now that the Void Hunter is gonna wreck PvP. That super looks insane, still Warlock is my fav and that ViDoc really solidified it. Looks like Bungie is really trying to make people ignore other games coming out.

On the topic of base level increasing:

Here we can see an XP gain upon a kill filling up the bar (26 XP; 1:52 in the video)
dVC8vy7.png

Furthermore, here we can see a Level 45 Guardian where it is indicated that his base level is 30. Also, look at the text feed, the icon for electrocution kills is badass.
j1qSI4U.jpg

However, here's a level 49 Guardian at base level 20:
gDwM1aB.jpg

Weird. We may yet have some things to learn about Light levels with The Taken King. Seems conclusive, however, that base level will in fact increase to 30.

Fascinating.

It should be noted that you're gaining XP while still in light, if I'm reading that icon correctly. So it could be that if you're above 30, you'll still only increase top level through gear, BUT you'll simultaneously be increasing your base level, setting you up, ostensibly, for Destiny 2.

It would explain why all the monitor banks were at 20, since they might be outfitted with the swankest gear, but they would have never played any of the game and thus been given no XP to raise their base level.

AM I THE FIRST TO THIS THEORY, GAF?????

Daemul

Because more base levels would likely indicate new abilites for the old subclasses.

Why would you not care about that?

Wat. You aren't even able to max out your subclass abilities before you reach the current level cap, why would they add more?

I'm calling it now that the Void Hunter is gonna wreck PvP. That super looks insane, still Warlock is my fav and that ViDoc really solidified it. Looks like Bungie is really trying to make people ignore other games coming out.

Depends on how well the grenades are going to work with it.

ocean

Banned
Fascinating.

It should be noted that you're gaining XP while still in light, if I'm reading that icon correctly. So it could be that if you're above 30, you'll still only increase top level through gear, BUT you'll simultaneously be increasing your base level, setting you up, ostensibly, for Destiny 2.

It would explain why all the monitor banks were at 20, since they might be outfitted with the swankest gear, but they would have never played any of the game and thus been given no XP to raise their base level.

Players under level 20 wouldn't be able to equip Legendaries anyways. And storing XP for Destiny 2 seems like a long shot. To be fair, we still gain XP right now even though we don't level up. We gain a Mote of Light for every 80k XP we gain on each character, there's just no level increase. It would be strange if that bar were there despite being at the level cap. It would make the HUD busier for something that's pretty useless.

I'm fairly convinced that one of two things is happening:
  1. This footage is from a raw testing environment where they're manipulating the levels manually to test stuff, or
  2. The way we gain Light levels will be fundamentally changed

GutZ31

Fascinating.

I'm going to guess that the level discrepancy probably has to do with people who have, and have not unlocked the 3rd subclass for their character.

rNilla

I welcome new varieties of death that aren't Thorn or shotguns.

Kyne

It's so crappy that the exotic class items are locked behind buying editions of the game that I already own (for $80 freakin' dollars).

digital-collectors-exotics.png

The Titan one has the double-aquila from Gjallarhorn, for heaven's sake! WANT.

Uhm. Is that hammer part of the class item. ... ? Cause if so...

So, if I already have the base game and both current DLCs, if I buy the collector's edition of The Taken King do I miss out on the sparrow, shader and emblem for the digital edition they are offering?

Oh yea I forgot i tried to save a few cool plays I made I yesterday and my Memory are full! I can connect an external hard drive via USB to my ps4 and extract the video saves, correct?

Yes, this works. Already exported a good 400 GB onto a 2 TB external, and the ol' PS4 HD is filling up again... I remember I had to reformat the external drive somehow so that PS4 would recognize it as a USB storage device, but then I could easily move stuff from the PS4-->external-->Windows laptop. I'm not terribly computer literate and forget exactly what I did but I'm sure you can figure it out if I managed too :p

Things I've wanted that have been answered!
  • New Subclass
  • New 6-man Raid
  • PvP CTF Mode
  • PvP Mayhem Mode

Things I want that we don't know yet
  • New Subclass = new exotics = NEED MORE INVENTORY SPACE, both vault and character.
  • New level cap and more gear to purchase (new exotics of each element?) = Glimmer Cap Increase
  • Matchmaking needs to be improved. Smart Vote/kick system. More PvP maps = vote system also but that's less important than idlers.
  • Need the ability to re-enter Trials when you've been dropped
  • Need some kind of PoE checkpoint system
  • Take out the idle - kick to orbit on private games such as PoE.

Overall, I'm stoked. I've been waiting for the 1st set for a long time.

Also, I'm weapon part broke like never before. Not sure how to fix that haha. I'll trade Strange Coins / Etheric Light for Weapon Parts!

Klyka

Banned
Ok fuck it, I haven't played this since Dark Below came out and even there I only did the normal missions, never seen the Crota raid.

Just bought House of Wolves after seeing the "Taken King" vidoc.

I'm back, let's see if I can actually see the content this time.

ocean

Banned
Actually I wanna come back to this image because it's the strangest IMO:
gDwM1aB.jpg

S7-vostuk_bng killed us. As expected, the top banner tells us who this was. He is identified as a Light level 49 Guardian, with base level 20. However, this very same Guardian is visible in the frame. And we can see that he's not visible as a level 49 but rather as a level 20. This is strange because right now, we appear to each other as level 34s in the Crucible despite being at base level 20.

Same thing happens with the Warlock:
j1qSI4U.jpg

Notice how he is seen as a level 30 (hovering over his head), despite his Light level being listed as 45 at the top.

This begs two different questions:
  1. How can a Guardian be level 49 while his base level is 20? (pic 1)
  2. Why are Guardians seeing each other at their base level instead of their Light level in the Crucible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom