• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT24| Dances with Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
It's so crappy that the exotic class items are locked behind buying editions of the game that I already own (for $80 freakin' dollars).

digital-collectors-exotics.png

The Titan one has the double-aquila from Gjallarhorn, for heaven's sake! WANT.

Is this confirmed?

Isnt there some kind of Bungie event at E3 soon? Can you stream it somewhere or is it just on the show floor?

They have a PvP area set up where 6v6 Rift games are happening on the floor.

They don't have any specific event. Deej is making the rounds for streaming interviews here: http://planetdestiny.com/destiny-e3-schedule/

Other than that, the glimpse during the Sony conference and now the ViDoc are the main meat here.

zewone

Why would they ad new abilities when you already have exactly the right amount now?

There are Currently 27 abilities for each subclass.

Currently when you hit Level 20, you have about 8 abilities left to learn. If you instead leveled to 30, chances are you would hit 30 around the same time you'd have maxed out the subclass.

Seems to me the rate at which you gain abilities for the subclass was designed around the level 30 max all along.
OK cool. I just want new abilities. Otherwise it's pointless.

ocean

Banned
Is this confirmed?

Yeah. I hope they change their minds but as of now, we (owners of Destiny and the expansions) have two options:

Buy The Taken King for US$40, and get VIP Rewards (reward our loyalty with emblem, shader, sparrow), or
Buy The Take King Collector's Edition for US$80, getting the Destiny+TDB+HoW (lol) along with same DLC and VIP rewards as the above but with additional three shaders, three exotic class items with XP buff, three class specific emotes. If you go physical instead of digital, you also get a Steelbook Case, Art Book and Replica of a Strange Coin.

So if we just buy the expansion we miss out on the shaders, exotic class items and emotes. As launch players, the only way we can get those rewards is by actually buying Destiny and the first two expansions again, along with the rest of the stuff.

At least with the physical you get some cool stuff. But for players who already have the expansions, TTK Collector's Digital is basically a US$40 cosmetic pack bundled to a US$40 DLC.

Trakan

Why would they ad new abilities when you already have exactly the right amount now?

There are Currently 27 abilities for each subclass.

Currently when you hit Level 20, you have about 8 abilities left to learn. If you instead leveled to 30, chances are you would hit 30 around the same time you'd have maxed out the subclass.

Seems to me the rate at which you gain abilities for the subclass was designed around the level 30 max all along.

There's nothing wrong with the way it works now. There's literally no point to add in 10 levels to let you gain subclass abilities every level.

If there's nothing new related to hitting level 30, I don't understand it at all. I honestly think it's a couple new abilities to keep the old subclasses feeling fresh.

ocean

Banned

Again, a new subclass is literally just a whole bunch of new abilities. It's exactly what we're getting man :p As we climb to level 30 we'll acquire those new abilities in tandem.

There's nothing wrong with the way it works now. There's literally no point to add in 10 levels to you gain subclass abilities every level.

If there's nothing new related to hitting level 30, I don't understand it at all. I honestly think it's a couple new abilities to keep the old subclasses feeling fresh.

But why not just use these levels to level up the new subclass?

It will have 27 new abilities in it.

raindoc

So they talk about Phobos in that video, but do we even go there?

IIRC the talk about Phobos is "the vanguard send you there to explore a Cabal distress signal" [sic!], so yeah.

Fake Edit: I'll be disappointed if there isn't a nod to "Space Marines".

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Because more base levels would likely indicate new abilites for the old subclasses.

Why would you not care about that?
...where are you getting that? I see no reason to suspect it would be the case and certainly nothing to indicate that it is "likely." A full new subclass will need to be leveled (jumps and all), but just as we were with the existing classes, you're likely to hit the base cap before having finished unlocking every ability.
But you wrote the guides on light leveling! Also on exotics: check the last paragraph you cited me on :p we are on the same page regarding exotics.
I wrote the guides because I hated how many people were getting frustrated or felt cockblocked by a surprisingly robust and RNG-free system. Vertical progression is totally uninteresting to me, I accept it at face value and understand why it exists in game design but it doesn't nothing for my enjoyment.

And I don't know how I missed that about exotics, it's in my quote and everything haha.

Why would they increase the base level if not to add more?

What other purpose would it serve?

That's fine if you don't believe it. I'm just theorizing as much as anyone else here.

If someone could tell me why they would increase the base level without adding new abilities, I'd love to hear it.

The theory that the extra 10 is from unlocking the 3rd subclass sounds the most believable.
Haha. Well again, it takes more than 10 levels to unlock a full subclass, just like happened to us during play.

But I mean the real answer is because adding vertical progression is merely something you do to extend the playtime of a game. If you have to gain 10 more levels to be at the new plateau to do things, then gosh darn it you'll get those 10 more levels. It's one of the most basic tenets of modern game design.
You've got a full subclass worth of new abilities- but they could 100% have been added without raising the level cap. So... it's pointless.

ocean

Banned
NqGIbJz.png

The hype is real. Everything is happening. Even giant Shank is happening. All we need is Blink for Titans and the world might be mended.

GhaleonEB

I'm wondering how big Phobos is. It's described as a Cabal base, not a major destination, which makes me think it's large enough to be one or two missions, not a major explore space.

Rubenov

So had one of those moments the other day:

Zewone: "Their titan just put up a bubble"

Me: "Oh crap"

Trakkan: "Don't worry guys, I'll take care of this"

*Enters Enemy Bubble*

*2 seconds letter Trakkan's dead body comes flying out of the bubble"

Me: "lol"

Edit: Anyone up for a nightfall?

zewone

But I mean the real answer is because adding vertical progression is merely something you do to extend the playtime of a game. If you have to gain 10 more levels to be at the new plateau to do things, then gosh darn it you'll get those 10 more levels. It's one of the most basic tenets of modern game design.

You've got a full subclass worth of new abilities- but they could 100% have been added without raising the level cap. So... it's pointless.

That sounds stupid and now I'm not buying the Taken King.

I can level it up by playing normally. Why do I need 10 more base levels?

New base levels give us a path for missions.

Vanilla Destiny ended with the last mission being level 16-18.

Dark Below ended with the last mission being 22-24

House of Wolves ended with the last mission being 28-30

Its' just natural progression. If bungie released 10 new missions all level 20, then a new potential player could have a hard time determining what levels they should play first.

Trakan

Why change the game in such a major way if it's pointless? Has to be a reason they're doing it outside of "vertical progression."

A_Gorilla

Banned
So had one of those moments the other day:

Zewone: "Their titan just put up a bubble"

Me: "Oh crap"

Trakkan: "Don't worry guys, I'll take care of this"

*Enters Enemy Bubble*

*2 seconds letter Trakkan's dead body comes flying out of the bubble"

Me: "lol"

When will people learn that if you don't have a super, don't bother...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can level it up by playing normally. Why do I need 10 more base levels?
You don't. What if I told you you don't even need the first 20?

It's just something games do. Leveling up with a ding and a visual effect and seeing a number get bigger is effective reinforcement.
Why change the game in such a major way if it's pointless?
It's not remotely major, hah
Has to be a reason they're doing it outside of "vertical progression."
Why?

Trakan

New base levels give us a path for missions.

Vanilla Destiny ended with the last mission being level 16-18.

Dark Below ended with the last mission being 22-24

House of Wolves ended with the last mission being 28-30

Its' just natural progression. If bungie released 10 new missions all level 20, then a new potential player could have a hard time determining what levels they should play first.

I don't buy that. In Destiny 2, they're going to need level 3 missions for new players and level 53 missions for us.

Why change the game in such a major way if it's pointless? Has to be a reason they're doing it outside of "vertical progression."

It's there for the same reason every MMO has levels. It keeps you on a specified path. It keeps you in areas/zones you belong in at a certain pace. It gives you a sense of growth, as you play.

I don't buy that. In Destiny 2, they're going to need level 3 missions for new players and level 53 missions for us.

Really no point in talking about Destiny 2, here. Bungie has a ton of options here. For all we know, Destiny 2 is going to be a larger version of TTK that builds off of Destiny as a base and keeps all the old destinations and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom