• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolled my new Matador for Aggressive/Shot Package/Reinforced/Army of One. Considering I'm not much of a slider, I think this is the perfect roll for me. My old Matador had Agg/SP/Reinforced/Cascade. Finally can stop hoarding parts for rerolling and finish maxing out all my exotics to 365.

The IB lag was indeed there tonight and it was shitty. Just look at this mess.

Not only do we spawn in the exact same place but he manages to snipe me then proceed to moon walk off stage.

AthleticGiftedLadybug.gif

New Spear roll, keeper or not for PVP

Short Gaze
Performance Bonus
Armor piercing
Final Round

Short gaze and final round are both really good, the later of which mostly because it allows for scummy one shot kills.

Performance Bonus could actually play well off of final round come to think of it.

Ramirez

I got the Titan towel in the last IB, and I'm 100% positive that was my last IB until they overhaul it. It's fucking awful.

Apt101

I've found that AR's with the perk that causes the bottom half of the magazine to deal extra damage isn't too bad in PvE, decent as an OK-to-good PR. But one would still be better off serenading their enemies with a fiery Latin ballad in PvP.

So it's that time of night again where i start posting messed up theories about VoG.

Wow, amazing post Soul! Really fantastic stuff. If people want to do a "VoG Conspiracy Theory" run sometime let me know. Most of the theories you've mentioned have already been tested and disproved but I always have fun messing around in VoG with like minded-people. Speaking of theories...

Oracle Serenade
There are some possibilities related to Oracle spawn order and their corresponding tones (potential connections to Hobgoblin spawn order/location need further investigation). I've posted it before, but some musicians on Reddit broke down how one of the Destiny "in orbit" themes, The Great Unknown is mimicked by the tones played as Oracles spawn during their encounter.

One theory that (I think) has been disproved by now is that one team member must destroy the correct Oracle spawns in order to act as the "conductor" and play the song's ascending and then descending scale (i.e. need the "XX destroyed an Oracle" to pop up for each correct note). Probably doable with some planning but not a super strong theory imo, pure speculation based on a very cool musical Easter Egg.

Gorgons: The Real Final Boss?
A much more promising theory lies in the Gorgon maze. Put simply, the Gorgons as a singular unit are a VoG boss that no fireteam has ever defeated. They have the Ultra Skull name indicator as well as a Vex Axis Mind Grimoire card, which hints at their potentially hidden boss status. Every other Vex Axis Mind is considered a story, strike or raid boss (from Zydron the Gate Lord to Sekrion to Atheon).

• Gorgon = Ultra (Skull name indicator):

• Templar = Ultra = Raid Boss:

• Atheon = Ultra = Raid Boss:

• Scrota = Ultra = Raid Boss:

• Skolas = Ultra = "Raid" Boss:

• Omnigul = Ultra = Strike Boss (rekt by 4th Horseman):

• Skolas = Ultra = Story Boss:

Ultras are Bosses, Majors are Not:

• Gatekeepers in VoG and CE = Majors:

• Ir Yut = Major (as if we needed more proof she wasn't a boss):

• Sword Bear: The Last Action Hero = Major:

• Scrotogres = Majors:

Time Present and Time Past
I can't think of an Ultra Skull that wasn't also a raid/strike/story Boss, but it's certainly possible. Strangely, Bungie.net's API data refers to the Gorgons as 3 variations of Majors. But there are a lot of oddities in their naming conventions if you look at the entire game's enemy list. Some in-game Majors are listed as Ultras while some in-game Ultras are listed as majors (e.g. Omni-ghoooul).

Additionally, an enterprising Redditor ran the data for 17,000+ HM clears and saw that every single Gorgon kill had counted as the Major2 variant. So far no Major0 or Major1 versions have ever been discovered in a player's raid data, not even Luke Smith (Disclaimer: no idea if that's actually Luke's profile).

Every other listed VoG enemy is present and accounted for, so their absence is either a mundane technicality or a hint at something deeper
probably the former
. It's interesting to note that the Minotaur and Gatekeeper enemy types also have 3 Major variants listed, according to the 3 time points of future/present/past. If the numbering convention holds true, the implication that we only interact with "Precursor Gorgons" raises more questions than answers.

Most importantly, how did we encounter these enemies from another time if we haven't reached the time travel portals yet? Did they come to us? Do the concepts of "precursor" and "descendant" hold any relevance for creatures like them? Are there other-time Gorgons waiting to be discovered or is the entire point that they don't exist?

Become Legend
Surprisingly, nobody has ever met the seemingly straightforward myth-buster requirements. All 8 Gorgons in the NM maze (6 in the main area, 2 on the right side by the ass mat chest) must be dead simultaneously while the entire fireteam is in the darkness zone. Allowing a single one to respawn is equivalent to a boss regenerating health, and the increasing strength of their immunity shields means your odds of success drop precipitously for each respawn.

The basic idea is to coordinate your fireteam's attack so that the first Gorgons die at the same time. You only have 30 seconds to kill all 8 before they start respawning, but this timer doesn't start until the first Gorgon death. The other consideration is that the Gorgon's Gaze wipes your team in 10 seconds, but the catch is that any Gorgons activated within the same "gazing" window are timed relative to the first activated Gorgon. So if you start shooting Gorgy-2 five seconds after Gorgy-1, but before G-1 has died, then you'll only have 5 seconds to ice G-2.

....I realize this probably sounds kooky. But if anyone is curious to learn more, check out these links. With a team of 365 Horns and 365 FVerdicts or BHams (maybe some Nighthawks and Weapons of Light bubbles), this challenge is far more attainable now than ever before.

Additional Reading
Original Kill-All-Gorgons Theory with Mythological Connections

Detailed Follow Up Post: Kill All Gorgons

T.S. Eliot said:
Time present and time past
Are both perhaps present in time future,
And time future contained in time past.
If all time is eternally present
All time is unredeemable.
What might have been is an abstraction
Remaining a perpetual possibility
Only in a world of speculation.
What might have been and what has been
Point to one end, which is always present.
Footfalls echo in the memory
Down the passage which we did not take
Towards the door we never opened
Into the rose-garden.

Wow, amazing post Soul! Really fantastic stuff. If people want to do a "VoG Conspiracy Theory" run sometime let me know. Most of the theories you've mentioned have already been tested and disproved but I always have fun messing around in VoG with like minded-people. Speaking of theories...

Oracle Serenade
There are some possibilities related to Oracle spawn order and their corresponding tones (potential connections to Hobgoblin spawn order/location need further investigation). I've posted it before, but some musicians on Reddit broke down how one of the Destiny "in orbit" themes, The Great Unknown is mimicked by the tones played as Oracles spawn during their encounter.

One theory that (I think) has been disproved by now is that one team member must destroy the correct Oracle spawns in order to act as the "conductor" and play the song's ascending and then descending scale (i.e. need the "XX destroyed an Oracle" to pop up for each correct note). Probably doable with some planning but not a super strong theory imo, pure speculation based on a very cool musical Easter Egg.

Gorgons: The Real Final Boss?
A much more promising theory lies in the Gorgon maze. Put simply, the Gorgons as a singular unit are a VoG boss that no fireteam has ever defeated. They have the Ultra Skull name indicator as well as a Vex Axis Mind Grimoire card, which hints at their potentially hidden boss status. Every other Vex Axis Mind is considered a story, strike or raid boss (from Zydron the Gate Lord to Sekrion to Atheon).

• Gorgon = Ultra (Skull name indicator):

• Templar = Ultra = Raid Boss:

• Atheon = Ultra = Raid Boss:

• Scrota = Ultra = Raid Boss:

• Skolas = Ultra = "Raid" Boss:

• Omnigul = Ultra = Strike Boss (rekt by 4th Horseman):

• Skolas = Ultra = Story Boss:

Ultras are Bosses, Majors are Not:

• Gatekeepers in VoG and CE = Majors:

• Ir Yut = Major (as if we needed more proof she wasn't a boss):

• Sword Bear: The Last Action Hero = Major:

• Scrotogres = Majors:

Time Present and Time Past
I can't think of an Ultra Skull that wasn't also a raid/strike/story Boss, but it's certainly possible. Strangely, Bungie.net's API data refers to the Gorgons as 3 variations of Majors. But there are a lot of oddities in their naming conventions if you look at the entire game's enemy list. Some in-game Majors are listed as Ultras while some in-game Ultras are listed as majors (e.g. Omni-ghoooul).

Additionally, an enterprising Redditor ran the data for 17,000+ HM clears and saw that every single Gorgon kill had counted as the Major2 variant. So far no Major0 or Major1 versions have ever been discovered in a player's raid data, not even Luke Smith (Disclaimer: no idea if that's actually Luke's profile).

Every other listed VoG enemy is present and accounted for, so their absence is either a mundane technicality or a hint at something deeper
probably the former
. It's interesting to note that the Minotaur and Gatekeeper enemy types also have 3 Major variants listed, according to the 3 time points of future/present/past. If the numbering convention holds true, the implication that we only interact with "Precursor Gorgons" raises more questions than answers.

Most importantly, how did we encounter these enemies from another time if we haven't reached the time travel portals yet? Did they come to us? Do the concepts of "precursor" and "descendant" hold any relevance for creatures like them? Are there other-time Gorgons waiting to be discovered or is the entire point that they don't exist?

Become Legend
Surprisingly, nobody has ever met the seemingly straightforward myth-buster requirements. All 8 Gorgons in the NM maze (6 in the main area, 2 on the right side by the ass mat chest) must be dead simultaneously while the entire fireteam is in the darkness zone. Allowing a single one to respawn is equivalent to a boss regenerating health, and the increasing strength of their immunity shields means your odds of success drop precipitously for each respawn.

The basic idea is to coordinate your fireteam's attack so that the first Gorgons die at the same time. You only have 30 seconds to kill all 8 before they start respawning, but this timer doesn't start until the first Gorgon death. The other consideration is that the Gorgon's Gaze wipes your team in 10 seconds, but the catch is that any Gorgons activated within the same "gazing" window are timed relative to the first activated Gorgon. So if you start shooting Gorgy-2 five seconds after Gorgy-1, but before G-1 has died, then you'll only have 5 seconds to ice G-2.

....I realize this probably sounds kooky. But if anyone is curious to learn more, check out these links. With a team of 365 Horns and 365 FVerdicts or BHams (maybe some Nighthawks and Weapons of Light bubbles), this challenge is far more attainable now than ever before.

Additional Reading
Original Kill-All-Gorgons Theory with Mythological Connections

Detailed Follow Up Post: Kill All Gorgons
Hey! You're alive :D long post will read through it in a little bit!

Has any team wipe all gorgons from the area yet?

I'm guessing with the damage increase with TTK weapons the Gorgon kills should be pretty attainable, provided it doesn't approach the max damage you can deal due to stats and level difference.

coy

In honor of your return, I read the whole thing Driz. Good to see you post and with some real intriguing info!

phen0m24

After 10 months, I got Hawkmoon from HM Deathsinger!

Thanks Colonel, Scarlet, GutZ, Funtnuts, & ELStoker!

CONGRATS X!!

Dude I'm hoping Gutz can post the crazy photos. I can't get mine to upload to FB, where I was going to grab them from. (can't find my flash drive ugh)

is there a way to farm treasure keys?

Grabbing chests from the prowling wolves is one option, but you can only open it once now. You get one per account upon completion of a queens bounty each week, and you can get them from PoE chests. None of these are fast or ideal, but luckily you aren't missing much if you don't open the big chest.

All the scrubs who feel the need to roll 6-man parties in Iron Banner are the reason the connections are such a disaster.

Seriously, Iron Banner is not hard. Half the people playing it are people who don't even normally play crucible, so it's easy. It kinds of ruins it for small parties and solo players when it's impossible to get into a lobby where you aren't facing a group of 6 (all with Thorn, of course. They've gotta have their thorns.)

M3Rocket

Welcome back Driz!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom