• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

noomi

I was running Red Death last night in IB and holding my own against the Thorners. As long as you're not getting team shot by it they can peg you twice and as long as you down them the sliver of health regen that you get before the next burn hits you is enough to keep you alive.

Red Death is the perfect answer to thorn, it's awesome when you almost get killed by the DOT and then BAM full health :D

Question - Dregs promise, should i even bother?

Never :(

Thanks , seems like i am done with poe then, all summer in crucible and nightfalls once a week. Need to finish witcher, sf5 beta end of this month. Think i am sorted until tTK.

Same here man, I'm done with PoE... all crucible/trials and catching up to backlog now before TTK rolls around in about 2 months.

X-Frame

If Titans had auto Overshields from being attacked by a melee hit, it would make much more sense. Warlocks automatically getting Overshields from attacking with melee makes it near impossible to kill them in slap fights.

This would be a great idea. Would make enemies think twice before melee'ing a Defender Titan if their Force Barrier activated on being hit. If this 1 change was made then they'd be a lot more tanky.

And Striker Titans could go into a frenzy or something when being melee'ed which boosts recovery and/or agility and/or melee damage.

I'm still holding out that Bungie will update the existing sub-classes before The Taken King releases. One can hope.

LiK

Well shit. Didnt know about that. So thats (partially) why some are so far ahead of me in rank already. Gotta catch up

There's no rush. Since the buffs increase each day, you could play on Saturday for the first time and max out your rank in like two days before it ends as long as youre in the winning teams and do most of the bounties. I did that in the last IB.

lt519

I understand the hate for Thorn, but it isn't necessarily the best players using it. It's leveling the playing field for less experienced players and I think Bungie is OK with that. The best players snipe, use the Last Word, Messenger, Red Death, etc. If you combine all those Shotguns, since they all serve the same sniping purpose you get 33% of people practically blink shotgunning as their main weapon.

Thorn is annoying, and yes the DOT can be nerfed and the damage not give away position. But it's not an incredibly OP weapon, there are still better choices so if you nerf Thorn what do you do about TLW?

In the end all the players will just gravitate to the next best option and that will be 50% as well. The problem will never be solved, it's inherent in the game, but I'm tired of the moaning about Thorn around here. It's annoying but there are many many ways to outgun a Thorn user. I use Thorn since it's good for my ability level, but if they nerfed it then I'd just use Hawkmoon or TLW. Then people would be bitching about luck in the chamber.

I got to IB rank 2.25 on Day 1. Played only 2 games Day 2/yesterday, both losses. No bounties. I think I could hit rank 4 tonight with the buff and bounties.

I understand the hate for Thorn, but it isn't necessarily the best players using it. It's leveling the playing field for less experienced players and I think Bungie is OK with that. The best players snipe, use the Last Word. If you combine all those Shotguns, since they all serve the same sniping purpose you get 33% of people practically blink shotgunning as their main weapon.

Thorn is annoying, and yes the DOT can be nerfed and the damage not give away position. But it's not an incredibly OP weapon, there are still better choices so if you nerf Thorn what do you do about TLW?

In the end all the players will just gravitate to the next best option and that will be 50% as well. The problem will never be solved, it's inherent in the game, but I'm tired of the moaning about Thorn around here. It's annoying but there are many many ways to outgun a Thorn user.

I watched iAM 3v3 after they faced the Devils. TripleWRECK and his whole crew all used Thorn. And then I've seen the Devils face the top PvPers and most were all using Thorn. They all know it's too OP! Arcbolt + 1 shot, or Warlock nade + 1 shot. It's beyond silly.

How's my trophy hunting??? About fifteen platinum trophies in 2014 before Destiny came out. About three platinum trophies since Destiny came out. Does that answer your question???

Don't worry. That happens to all of us I guess.

silvertongueBR.png

118 platinums... I think 4 or 5 of those came after destiny. And that's including destiny!

I care more about my percentage tho. I wanna reach and keep that 90% so bad.

lt519

I watched iAM 3v3 after they faced the Devils. TripleWRECK and his whole crew all used Thorn. And then I've seen the Devils face the top PvPers and most were all using Thorn. They all know it's too OP! Arcbolt + 1 shot, or Warlock nade + 1 shot. It's beyond silly.

It is probably the best weapon when all is said and done, but when you nerf the best weapon, a new one takes its place. We saw this with Suros and then the nerfing of fusion rifles. It's a losing battle for Bungie to just keep nerfing the best weapons.

I just don't think it's as OP as people make it out to be. A lot of Pulse Rifles will finish you off before you have a chance. Snipers can take out a Thorn user without a problem. Get close enough and a shotgunner kills you before you can get two rounds off.

Damage someone with a nade and it doesn't take much damage to kill them regardless of the weapon.

That 50% includes the 33% shotgunners that have Thorn equipped but use their shotguns and snipers 80% of the time anyway. Is that chart kills or just weapons equipped?

Put it in the hands of the best players, yeah it's crazy, but it isn't the fastest TTK. I'd concede it's more OP in trials due to the style of match than a normal crucible match.

Again, I don't care either way, it just seems like it's the easy button and people hate it for that. Everyone here could learn and excel at a weapon that is better than Thorn.

silvertongueBR.png

118 platinums... I think 4 or 5 of those came after destiny. And that's including destiny!

WOW! Does that mean You've Plat'd 89.1% of all the games you've played? That's freaking incredible haha

LiK

silvertongueBR.png

Jesus Christ, you and GraveRobberX have a lot in common.

Zoidberg

Put off reforging my shotguns for too long after some bad experiences with my last batch of reforging.

First roll of an old felwinters:
Aggressive Balistics, Final Round, Hammer Forged, Shot Package

Two rolls on a Matador 64
Aggressive Balistics, Shot Package, Reinforced Barrel and Grenadier.

Not ecstatic about grenadier on the matador, but to get those rolls for a whopping 9 weapon parts, I'll take it.

Shito

I understand the hate for Thorn, but it isn't necessarily the best players using it. It's leveling the playing field for less experienced players and I think Bungie is OK with that. The best players snipe, use the Last Word. If you combine all those Shotguns, since they all serve the same sniping purpose you get 33% of people practically blink shotgunning as their main weapon.

In the end all the players will just gravitate to the next best option and that will be 50% as well. The problem will never be solved, it's inherent in the game, but I'm tired of the moaning about Thorn around here. It's annoying but there are many many ways to outgun a Thorn user. I use Thorn since it's good for my ability level, but if they nerfed it then I'd just use Hawkmoon or TLW. Then people would be bitching about luck in the chamber.
The problem with Thorn is not the DoT or it giving away your position, it's the range.
TLW is insanely good but it has its range, and that's why the best TLW players use a sniper rifle alongside with it.
Hawkmoon has great range and luck in the chamber because that's it archetype, it is built around the fact that it's a HC with an awesome range and an RNG part to the damage it does. Also, its range has also been nerfed once already.
Thorn's achetype is the poison stuff. It's supposed to be a HC whose gameplay revolves around landing enough shots to make the poison kill you / use the DoT indicator as a marker on your target. The problem is that on top of that it has INSANE range, allowing you to actually compete against snipers, without any drawback to it, and beating weapon classes that are supposed to be kings at that range. There's no denying there is a problem with that, and that it is currently hurting the meta of the game. It's not so much people bitching about the weapon than people pointing out obvious flaws in the current balance.

And for the record, I am saying that as someone who doesn't want to see Destiny become a balanced / competitive game, I'm fine with having bullshits in the game as long as they make sense. ^^
Team nerf Thorn's range and buff ARs and scout rifles. :)

I just don't think it's as OP as people make it out to be. A lot of Pulse Rifles will finish you off before you have a chance. Snipers can take out a Thorn user without a problem. Get close enough and a shotgunner kills you before you can get two rounds off.
If they get the first shot and if that shot is a headshot, yes.
And that's the problem: you have to be very good with your sniper rifle to beat a Thorn user, whereas the Thorn user just has to be average to beat you / trade with you. You are supposed to be at an advantage at this range, but yet you have to play better than your opponent that is supposed to be at a disadvantage... ^^

123rl

9YIQeuF.gif

Finally got my first Gjallorhorn, after 600 hours of game time. Now expect the gun to get nerfed in the next update so that I can't enjoy it. Or Xur to sell it this weekend.

I think you have a problem...

lol. Well I have the same account since what? 2005? It's not that bad.

WOW! Does that mean You've Plat'd 89.1% of all the games you've played? That's freaking incredible haha

Not really. It means that I have 89.1% of all possible trophies of all the games i've ever played on my PS3/Vita/PS4.

That includes Plat games and 100% games.

Jesus Christ, you and GraveRobberX have a lot in common.

No, we don't. I'm nicer than him. ;)

Miss you grave. Give us a smoke signal or something about your rehab.

lt519

I agree, but nerf Thorn and then people just switch to Hawkmoon and everyone starts complaining about being one-shotted due to Luck.

Buff Scout Rifles and I'd just take my Saterriene Rapier with Firefly and Final Round and kill people in 3 head shots and create havoc. It may end up with a higher TTK than Thorn and then create more problems because of Firefly.

There is always going to be that one annoying weapon, and IMO, Thorn actually may be the lesser of evils. It can be outclassed as is, I'd hate to see them nerf it and create a power house that is actually worse. With Thorn there is at least time to take cover after the first shot since the ROF allows for movement between getting pummeled.

Edit: so do you nerf Hawkmoons range then too? Or just range of all HCs?

I'm just playing devils advocate here, I actually don't care (; The imbalance of Destiny PvP is actually what makes it different from every other shooter out there. The rush to find and re-roll Matador's was hysterical.

TsuWave

I just don't think it's as OP as people make it out to be.

yeah I don't think thorn is that bad myself, as i said before, TLW is a much worse offender imo, if bungie nerfs thorn's DOT down to 3 points and takes away the giving out position thing, it would be alright.

and since we are talking about weapons, i'm using my old gheleon's for iron banner and i'm having so much fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFWcX-XOR1I

firefly + outlaw + armor piercing rounds = banderas.gif

It is probably the best weapon when all is said and done, but when you nerf the best weapon, a new one takes its place. We saw this with Suros and then the nerfing of fusion rifles. It's a losing battle for Bungie to just keep nerfing the best weapons.

Damage someone with a nade and it doesn't take much damage to kill them regardless of the weapon.

That 50% includes the 33% shotgunners that have Thorn equipped but use their shotguns and snipers 80% of the time anyway. Is that chart kills or just weapons equipped?

Oh yea I don't agree with always nerfing everything. There's a certain nerf you can do. I thought they decreased the range but I don't believe the range is decreased enough. You can practically snipe with the Thorn. There was a statistic done on a sample of like 5000 ToO games and like 51% used Thorn. The next gun, was somewhere around 10 %. I've noticed basically that trend. When 1 gun has that much of a discrepancy in usage, I think there's a problem. The problem might not even be with thorn but just balancing everything so there are more options. I wouldn't mind a slight nerf such as range.

I'm more towards more buffing than nerfing in a way to make an even playing ground.

SonComet

My friends got tired of me having the thorn bounty in my inventory since last year. 3 of us ran through it in less than an hour in rumble last night. Got some hate mail calling me pathetic in less kind words for cheesing the bounty. But I just replied with smiley faces. I'm excited to try it out. Been using TLW and Hawkmoon for PVP till now.

nOoblet16

They can also add trophies for existing stuff in the game:

1. Kill Templar without it teleporting even once.
2. Kill Atheon without using any heavy weapons.
3. Build the spire without losing any sync plates to the vex.
4. Defend the conflux with 0 sacrifices.
5. Clear the abyss without killing a single thrall.
6. Defeat Crota with one sword.
and so on...

or...kill skolas without getting hit once.
More realistic by bungie standards

They can also add trophies for existing stuff in the game:

1. Kill Templar without it teleporting even once.
2. Kill Atheon without using any heavy weapons.
3. Build the spire without losing any sync plates to the vex.
4. Defend the conflux with 0 sacrifices.
5. Clear the abyss without killing a single thrall.
6. Defeat Crota with one sword.
and so on...

1. Easy if you make a team of 6 defender titans.
2. Easy with blackhammers.
3. Easy and you can actually glitch this one too.
4. Luck based. Sometimes those stupid goblins teleport straight to the conflux. :/
5. Easy as hunters.
6. Now this is a tough one. Bungie would probably have it glitched tho. lol

or...kill skolas without getting hit once.
More realistic by bungie standards

Don't give them ideas, pls.

Shito

I agree, but nerf Thorn and then people just switch to Hawkmoon and everyone starts complaining about being one-shotted due to Luck.

Buff Scout Rifles and I'd just take my Saterriene Rapier with Firefly and Final Round and kill people in 3 head shots and create havoc. It may end up with a higher TTK than Thorn and then create more problems because of Firefly.

There is always going to be that one annoying weapon, and IMO, Thorn actually may be the lesser of evils. It can be outclassed as is, I'd hate to see them nerf it and create a power house that is actually worse. With Thorn there is at least time to take cover after the first shot since the ROF allows for movement between getting pummeled.

Edit: so do you nerf Hawkmoons range then too? Or just range of all HCs?

I'm just playing devils advocate here, I actually don't care (; The imbalance of Destiny PvP is actually what makes it different from every other shooter out there. The rush to find and re-roll Matador's was hysterical.
The problem with Thorn is that it puts you at an even bigger disadvantage than any other OP weapon: if you survive and manage to hide, your position is given away AND your shields and health take longer to regen AND your screen is green (never had a problem with that, but apparently it distracts some players). This kind of advantage should come with at least some kind of drawbacks, of which Thorn has none at the moment.
I agree that some other weapon will take its place, but I don't agree with the fact that Thorn is the lesser evil at the moment. ^^

The problem with Thorn is not the DoT or it giving away your position, it's the range.
TLW is insanely good but it has its range, and that's why the best TLW players use a sniper rifle alongside with it.
Hawkmoon has great range and luck in the chamber because that's it archetype, it is built around the fact that it's a HC with an awesome range and an RNG part to the damage it does. Also, its range has also been nerfed once already.
Thorn's achetype is the poison stuff. It's supposed to be a HC whose gameplay revolves around landing enough shots to make the poison kill you / use the DoT indicator as a marker on your target. The problem is that on top of that it has INSANE range, allowing you to actually compete against snipers, without any drawback to it, and beating weapon classes that are supposed to be kings at that range. There's no denying there is a problem with that, and that it is currently hurting the meta of the game. It's not so much people bitching about the weapon than people pointing out obvious flaws in the current balance.

And for the record, I am saying that as someone who doesn't want to see Destiny become a balanced / competitive game, I'm fine with having bullshits in the game as long as they make sense. ^^
Team nerf Thorn's range and buff ARs and scout rifles. :)

If they get the first shot and if that shot is a headshot, yes.
And that's the problem: you have to be very good with your sniper rifle to beat a Thorn user, whereas the Thorn user just has to be average to beat you / trade with you. You are supposed to be at an advantage at this range, but yet you have to play better than your opponent that is supposed to be at a disadvantage... ^^

Way too many times I'll stick my head out to snipe and a one shot will tear my shields off. I'll call out that they have a a sniper in so and so hallway and then have to retract that statement when I realize that I'm burning from Thorn. Some of the distances that they can get a first shot, one shot, headshot can be crazy and my brain tells me that it has to be a sniper, not a hand cannon. Even with Hawkmoon, most of the time you hear a couple of failed shots whiz past before they land one.

lt519

yeah I don't think thorn is that bad myself, as i said before, TLW is a much worse offender imo, if bungie nerfs thorn's DOT down to 3 points and takes away the giving out position thing, it would be alright.

and since we are talking about weapons, i'm using my old gheleon's for iron banner and i'm having so much fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFWcX-XOR1I

firefly + outlaw + armor piercing rounds = banderas.gif

I just finished leveling up an old Rapier with Firefly, Final Round, and Armor Piercing; I'm taking it into Crucible tonight to give it a go. I'm hoping it's as fun as it sounds.

The problem with Thorn is that it puts you at an even bigger disadvantage than any other OP weapon: if you survive and manage to hide, your position is given away AND your shields and health take longer to regen AND your screen is green (never had a problem with that, but apparently it distracts some players). This kind of advantage should come with at least some kind of drawbacks, of which Thorn has none at the moment.
I agree that some other weapon will take its place, but I don't agree with the fact that Thorn is the lesser evil at the moment. ^^

Being alive is less of a disadvantage than being dead. I agree on the range, but the annoyance of Thorn actually comes from it's lower TTK. If you are getting pinged that far away, just hide, you aren't dead. It'd be better than being killed with an Auto Scout Rifle before you even had a chance to hide. I'd rather cower in a corner for 10 seconds than be dead. I think we sometimes mistake annoyance for OP. However, it is a game changer in ToO when they can rush after pinging a couple teammates with Thorns. But even that is defensible with the sniping shotguns. Or just wear a Ram helm :p

Way too many times I'll stick my head out to snipe and a one shot will tear my shields off. I'll call out that they have a a sniper in so and so hallway and then have to retract that statement when I realize that I'm burning from Thorn. Some of the distances that they can get a first shot, one shot, headshot can be crazy and my brain tells me that it has to be a sniper, not a hand cannon. Even with Hawkmoon, most of the time you hear a couple of failed shots whiz past before they land one.

Well, I'd be ok with a nerf to thorn's range. The DoT was already nerfed enough tho.

At close range TLW will kill a Thorn user 90% of the time.

Kurumi

Put it in the hands of the best players, yeah it's crazy, but it isn't the fastest TTK. I'd concede it's more OP in trials due to the style of match than a normal crucible match.

Again, I don't care either way, it just seems like it's the easy button and people hate it for that. Everyone here could learn and excel at a weapon that is better than Thorn.

I just want there to be more variety in PvP when it comes to weapons. Every match I get in people just use the same guns. You can pretty much just tell what everybody is going to be using before the match even starts. I just hate it.

Bladelaw

Nightfalls went real well. I got Nothing Manacles a shitty scout rifle, and THUNDERLORD my first and only after skipping at Xur the few times he's had it.

I'm not sure I even want to run the Banner this time. I'm not sure what I get out of it. I can run PoE 34 x3 for all the Etheric Light I need, the lag has been worse than usual, and Thorn's are everywhere.

I just want there to be more variety in PvP when it comes to weapons. Every match I get in people just use the same guns. You can pretty much just tell what everybody is going to be using before the match even starts. I just hate it.

Well we are getting there I think.

We have great hand cannons.
Pulse rifles are back. I'm getting killed by those in every match now.
I'm also seeing a lot of Scouts with auto-fire now.

All bungie needs to do is bring back auto rifles.

Nightfalls went real well. I got Nothing Manacles a shitty scout rifle, and THUNDERLORD my first and only after skipping at Xur the few times he's had it.

I'm not sure I even want to run the Banner this time. I'm not sure what I get out of it. I can run PoE 34 x3 for all the Etheric Light I need, the lag has been worse than usual, and Thorn's are everywhere.

That reminds me that we shoul be getting DAT thunderlord post anytime now, right gaf?

9YIQeuF.gif

Finally got my first Gjallorhorn, after 600 hours of game time. Now expect the gun to get nerfed in the next update so that I can't enjoy it. Or Xur to sell it this weekend.

Congrats. I got mine in about 645 hours and I said the same thing about Xur. My mind would be blown if that happens.

zewone

This is just disgusting.

I hope you all realize that by nerfing the Thorn you're just inviting the next top tier gun to take it's place.

If you didn't see 50% Thorn, it would be 50% TLW or 50% Hawkmoon.

Same problem when SUROS was king.

I'd rather face a Thorn than a Last Word.

EDIT: Top of the page

wkA7sBo.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom