• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocean

Banned
I hope you all realize that by nerfing the Thorn you're just inviting the next top tier gun to take it's place.

If you didn't see 50% Thorn, it would be 50% TLW or 50% Hawkmoon.

Same problem when SUROS was king.

I'd rather face a Thorn than a Last Word.
Nah, the problem isn't one gun being the best. That will always be the case. The problem is a few guns being so much better than the rest. TTK on Thorn is under half that of Legendary Pulse, Auto, Scout Rifles and Hand Cannons. Not even exaggerating, it's literally under half the time.

Even back when SUROS reigned supreme, it wasn't alone at the top of the hill. For one, high impact Auto Rifles were very close in performance. For another, Hand Cannons could actually counter the thing.

The issue with the current 4 Exotics (Thorn, HM, TLW and RD) is not that they're better than anything else. It's that they're so much better. Assume for a moment you took these out of the picture.

High Impact Pulse Rifles of the Messenger/Hopscotch archetype kill in ~0.8s. Just like High Impact Scouts, or Hand Cannons. They'll differ in range/accuracy/ease of landing headshots/ammo/reload and whatever but all of a sudden, even if something emerges as being better than the rest, it's not gonna be a completely different playing field.

The idea that fixing the big 4 would just lead to a mass exodus towards the next best thing ignores the fact that, once you leave that god tier behind, everything else in the game is sort of level. Sure, Auto Rifles having such a low crit multiplier will still make them bottom-heap. Scouts not really owning the long range because of HC/PR working well at a distance will make them a tough sell.

But the fact of the matter is, the gap between Thorn/TLW/HM/RD and everything else is waaaaay bigger than, for instance, the gap between The Messenger and a bad scout rifle or whatever.

The big 4 are crazy outliers. Everything else is pretty similar at the end of the day. Fix those 4 and you open up the field for so much that it's not reasonable to assume there'd be a homogeneous flock towards a new king.

LiK

Raining TLWs today. On par with Thorns in IB. I've had to switch over to combat them. Pretty annoying but whatever.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
I bought 18 cans of this shit so I could send codes out to international DGAF members who couldn't get them otherwise. Saved the last one for myself and tried to use it today, figured I'd use the XP bonus to level my alt.

Already been used.

Go fuck yourself.

Not even kidding.

Just hit rank 4!! This Warlock chest piece is so money.

Int: 79
Disc: 86

Shotgun ammo
Scout rifle ammo

A perfect stat build to compliment what I already have and mainly use. Chuffed.

(screenshots tooken before I used etheric light on it)

Queen's Web:
4ZYQxpF.jpg

HsfhllI.jpg

Aaru's Passage:
3lytLwr.jpg

r2DS65z.jpg

Dave_6

Yeah that looks good! Going for that chest piece this weekend.

What does the Queen's Web shader drop from? Skolas?

Nah, the problem isn't one gun being the best. That will always be the case. The problem is a few guns being so much better than the rest. TTK on Thorn is under half that of Legendary Pulse, Auto, Scout Rifles and Hand Cannons. Not even exaggerating, it's literally under half the time.

Even back when SUROS reigned supreme, it wasn't alone at the top of the hill. For one, high impact Auto Rifles were very close in performance. For another, Hand Cannons could actually counter the thing.

The issue with the current 4 Exotics (Thorn, HM, TLW and RD) is not that they're better than anything else. It's that they're so much better. Assume for a moment you took these out of the picture.

High Impact Pulse Rifles of the Messenger/Hopscotch archetype kill in ~0.8s. Just like High Impact Scouts, or Hand Cannons. They'll differ in range/accuracy/ease of landing headshots/ammo/reload and whatever but all of a sudden, even if something emerges as being better than the rest, it's not gonna be a completely different playing field.

The idea that fixing the big 4 would just lead to a mass exodus towards the next best thing ignores the fact that, once you leave that god tier behind, everything else in the game is sort of level. Sure, Auto Rifles having such a low crit multiplier will still make them bottom-heap. Scouts not really owning the long range because of HC/PR working well at a distance will make them a tough sell.

But the fact of the matter is, the gap between Thorn/TLW/HM/RD and everything else is waaaaay bigger than, for instance, the gap between The Messenger and a bad scout rifle or whatever.

The big 4 are crazy outliers. Everything else is pretty similar at the end of the day. Fix those 4 and you open up the field for so much that it's not reasonable to assume there'd be a homogeneous flock towards a new king.

There is this legendary pulse called Payment VI or something. I rolled it with hidden hand and it eats shit alive.

Headshot. Fucking. Machine.

Edit: I have one exotic on XB1 and it's a Gjalarhorn. Woooooooooooooo

FyreWulff

I feel bad for you. Bungie can get fucked with all the stupidity lately. Only having 6 letters to form the combinations?

The vendor (Red Bull) is usually responsible for codes. It should be noted that all food codes tend to have a small number of characters because you have a super limited space to even print them in.. and they don't really care and most of the time they have duplicates.

edit: I'm going off personal experience, every time I've had to program something that redeems codes, the vendor generates the codes and sends a list to you.

Bungie could probably fix it on their end by just having codes be usable again after X amount of time redeemed or something

M3Rocket

I can't believe some of the posts in that code thread.

Hate Destiny = its ok to steal codes.

Well, I can't believe that Destiny GAFfers would stoop so low as to do this. The OP of that thread was actually the only other "donater" so far on the list. Now I have to question if he obtained the codes legitimately.

All the codes I gave out came from the cans that I bought. I took photos of them just in case.

There is NO justifying doing something like this--I can't believe people try to justify it by blaming it on the companies that created the promotion or any other number of excuses.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
POE 32 and 34 anyone? CE later on. Also need gorgons.

And yeah I'm going to hold off on the red bull codes for now. It's time for Bungie or Activision to address this otherwise lawsuits could happen.

POE 32 and 34 anyone? CE later on. Also need gorgons.

And yeah I'm going to hold off on the red bull codes for now. It's time for Bungie or Activision to address this otherwise lawsuits could happen.

The lawyer part of me says that lawsuits based on promotions (versus the actual product you're buying) are a really tough nut to crack.

That said, this still needs to be addressed on the grounds of general business practices.

Kyoufu

Thanks for the Crota run guys.

After my first clears of normal and hard mode, I've gotten:

Black Hammer
Oversoul Edict
Fang of Ir Yut
Abyss Defiant

I think I'm done with Crota. What do you guys think?

ocean

Banned
There is this legendary pulse called Payment VI or something. I rolled it with hidden hand and it eats shit alive.

Headshot. Fucking. Machine.

Edit: I have one exotic on XB1 and it's a Gjalarhorn. Woooooooooooooo

It's 33 per pellet, which means it'll be extremely powerful when you're attacking someone with low armor on their build. 2 shots will kill in 0.67s if you land them all to the head, but since that's 198 damage it'll require 3 bursts to kill Warlocks or Titans running full armor builds. Curiously, Hunter armor tops out at 198 last I checked so this Pulse Rifle archetype is fairly neat in that it's a guaranteed 2-shot against Hunters.

Overall though, I'd say you want something like Red Death (36 per pellet) or Messenger (38) to guarantee those 2-burst kills.

Basically, Payment VI and its archetype kill as fast as Red Death but only when used against a low armor target. Assuming you're hitting a player with over 198 health, Red Death is still the fastest killing Pulse Rifle.

It's 33 per pellet, which means it'll be extremely powerful when you're attacking someone with low armor on their build. 2 shots will kill in 0.67s if you land them all to the head, but since that's 198 damage it'll require 3 bursts to kill Warlocks or Titans running full armor builds. Curiously, Hunter armor tops out at 198 last I checked so this Pulse Rifle archetype is fairly neat.

Overall though, I'd say you want something like Red Death (36 per pellet) or Messenger (38) to guarantee those 2-burst kills.

Basically, Payment VI and its archetype kill as fast as Red Death but only when used against a low armor target. Assuming you're hitting a player with over 198 health, Red Death is still the fastest killing Pulse Rifle.

You just pissed on my parade.

Whatever. Still got the horn on XB1. So there ;P

EL CUCO

Ash factory with Hard Launch, Clown Cartridge, Javeline, G&H. Keep or keep rolling?

Edit: Keeping. Aint nobody got time to reforge a RL when I already have 10 of them

ocean

Banned
You just pissed on my parade.

Whatever. Still got the horn on XB1. So there ;P

NeoGAF changed its logo to a victorious rainbow in celebration of this important checkpoint in NarmerQuest :) it's like Todd's Praxic - we all celebrated your get! But we're waiting for the "real" one to drop. Soon.

Well the weekly update was pretty average. I wonder if the exotic quest line they mentioned is a bounty for Fate of All Fools. Still no mention of what day one players get with the Taken king as added bonuses beyond what we already know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom