• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

As we all know, today is a grand holiday, celebrated not just in my own United States of America but worldwide! 28 years ago to this day, a wondrous event occurred, in that I was born.

Naturally this is seen as a cause for much rejoicing and fireworks!

Hawky Birthday to you
Hawky Birthday to you
Hawky Birthday dear Hawkian
Hawky Birthday to you

nOoblet16

To Hawkian
6hS0Jdt.jpg

Sorry. As much as I'd like to join anybody or even do VoG, I won't be able to. Just had a really bad discussion on the verge of a fight over LGB/T issues and politics and now I am in zero mood or any ability to concentrate or do effective teamplay today.

Gong

Hey everyone,

As we all know, today is a grand holiday, celebrated not just in my own United States of America but worldwide! 28 years ago to this day, a wondrous event occurred, in that I was born.

Happy Birthday, have a great day!

I was using AoL. I use it in PVP because its supposed to make you nearly invincible and I use it to make sure we cap a point if necessary or to secure the heavy.

Armor of Light buffs you to 185% your health. Assuming you run a full armor build - which you should - that's a lot of extra damage you can tank. Not sure if Illuminated buffs that further.

If someone, while blind, managed to do this damage to you they got lucky or something is wrong in the picture :p

Where did you get the 185% figure? It's gotta be more than that, like Daemul said it takes three BDance slashes to kill, which is 723 damage. So it takes somewhere between 482 and 723 to kill, I always thought it was more like a 3x defense buff (600 Hp) but hard to say exactly. Illuminated doesn't affect Armor, only Blessing and Weapons.

Regardless, there's no way one shotgun blast can kill from full health, even with a high impact headshot the damage caps out somewhere between 250-300 (I think 12 pellets, ~25 damage max per pellet). The only issue is that I think Armor doesn't give you your base health back, just adds the defense on top. So maybe your health was low inside the bubble but you couldn't tell since the blue shield bar covers up your base health.

nOoblet16

Where did you get the 185% figure? It's gotta be more than that, like Daemul said it takes three BDance slashes to kill, which is 723 damage. So it takes somewhere between 482 and 723 to kill, I always thought it was more like a 3x defense buff (600 Hp) but hard to say exactly. Illuminated doesn't affect Armor, only Blessing and Weapons.

Regardless, there's no way one shotgun blast can kill from full health, even with a high impact headshot the damage caps out somewhere between 250-300 (I think 12 pellets, ~25 damage max per pellet). The only issue is that I think Armor doesn't give you your base health back, just adds the defense on top. So maybe your health was low inside the bubble but you couldn't tell since the blue shield bar covers up your base health.

I believe it's not that you get a lot of health, but rather that you recover the armour way too quickly, this is why it's possible to kill with a shotgun but not as a Bladedancer because by the time your second hit lands the dude's armour already starts recovering.

So one hit from a bladedancer would take some of your armour down and say by the time the bladedancer gets his second hit your armour is at 50%, with 2nd hit he takes the armour down completely and take a chunk of your health and with the third he takes down the remaining health and kill you.

phen0m24

Hey everyone,

happy happy dude!!

:)

Hope you have an awesome day and many fireworks

Happy birthday hawk-boy! July seems to be DGAF bday month, as we were discussing in unstables' twitch chat yesterday :p

Sorry. As much as I'd like to join anybody or even do VoG, I won't be able to. Just had a really bad discussion on the verge of a fight over LGB/T issues and politics and now I am in zero mood or any ability to concentrate or do effective teamplay today.

Sorry to hear that, some people can be really arrogant and stubborn about accepting the facts and prefer to live in denial, I'd just ignore it and move on.

That said, playing VoG would probably be the best thing you could do now. It's very enjoyable ad not at all stressful, should actually help to improve your mood imo.

Good question, lol. The lag has become a deal breaker to me. Having some 6-person activities is great but... Not like that :p

I haven't played a second of IB and probably won't bother. Don't care about collecting all the weapons, just want the good ones (no thanks Pulse). I also haven't done any raids, NFs, PoEs or Weeklies if anyone wants to do some later. Or maybe I'll just do more Trials...

Wow, that sounds awful, sorry to hear that. If you're around later and feel up to a VoG hopefully I could help out. I feel bad that you haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet :-/

ocean

Banned

I phrased that wrong. I meant it adds 185%, not that it's 185% of base.

Assuming a max armor build which totals 203 health for a Titan, this would mean adding 375 health to the original 203 for a total of 578-9 (depending on how they round).

I remember hearing the 185% figure from way back in the day but 580ish sounds reasonable to me in my experience.

In any case, no shotgun should do that damage. That's Final Round sniper headshot type damage (and not even actually :p)

Something is definitely weird if a Hunter can consistently melee or shotgun Armor bubbles.

SonComet

Question for you guys..

I am running armor of light in IB. I have a max armor Titan with Saint 14. A guy on the other team kept being able to come into my bubble and 1 shot me with felwinters lie no matter what and he never got blinded as he would immediately be able to turn and jump and kill other teammates as such.

IS that a glitch, or is he doing something non smurfy? He also, a at one point, was able to come in and one hit melee kill me too. I am 34 btw.
I was running a defender during my thorn bounty and this kept happening to me with AoL, Saint-14, and specked for max armor and recovery. Other players would slide into my bubble, shotgun me 1 time, and I would instantly die. After 3-5 games I just decided that the defender class got a stealth nerf.

I tried it again the following day and I was basically invincible in my bubble. They would slide in with their shotguns and I would never die. I have no idea what the difference was between the two nights. Maybe extreme lag the first night and I might have been out of my bubble on their screens or something.

I believe it's not that you get a lot of health, but rather that you recover the armour way too quickly, this is why it's possible to kill with a shotgun but not as a Bladedancer because by the time your second hit lands the dude's armour already starts recovering.

Hmm not sure about fast armor recovery being what AoL does, but I can check some videos. From what I've seen each successive Arc Blade attack brings the shield/health bar down progressively. It doesn't drop then increase then drop etc. But like I said I can double check a video or two, always good to double check things. Might be tricky to find an example where the Defender wasn't wearing Saint helm since that obviously blinds you so you can't see the health bar.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks for all the birthday wishes you lot! :D

Hope you all have a great, fun and safe independence day as well. :)
So I just bought the psn preorder of Taken King that comes with all the previous content to play immediately. I'm still fairly early on with the story missions (almost done with the moon).

I was wondering how hard it is for latecomers like myself to find other latecomers for the lower level non-matchmaking enabled content? Is there any place in particular that is good for finding people in he same boat looking for people to play with?
Hey, welcome!

If you post here looking for specific help with something, one or more of us is usually willing to jump in. Best thing you can do is just be active and ask lots of questions. There is www.destinylfg.net, but as you might expect it's mostly endgame stuff.

I phrased that wrong. I meant it adds 185%, not that it's 185% of base. 580ish sounds reasonable to me in my experience.

That's Final Round sniper headshot type damage (and not even... :p).

Ah, I getcha. That totally makes sense then, something around 580 range is very reasonable like you said.

A Final Round Spear crit actually does 603 damage though, lol. It's the highest single hit marker I can think of besides Fist of Havoc which I've seen around maybe 750-780ish. Not sure how a Nova Bomb direct hit compares, I think it's a lower max though. An Illuminated WoL Final Round Spear headshot would be hilarious, like ~814?

X-Frame

Why does The Last Word always jam up when I swap to it from a secondary and ADS? It's so frustrating. I guess I can't ADS immediately after swapping to it?

Wow, that sounds awful, sorry to hear that. If you're around later and feel up to a VoG hopefully I could help out. I feel bad that you haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet :-/

Thanks. Maybe during the night (+4 hours) and probably pretty drunk, but right now I am feeling pretty down, as with every time you cut ties with somebody. I won't be able to concentrate at the levels required or may even go AFK in the middle. Just not stable at the moment.

Edit: ^ yeah totally understandable Apple. Only play if it sounds like fun :) I should be around ~4 hours from now.

Thanks everyone for the info! Does the glitch only work on rank 5?

Nope it works for any rank. Basically it just preserves your rank from the previous IB, whatever it was, and then you can buy any items that have that rank requirement.

nOoblet16

Hmm not sure about fast armor recovery being what AoL does, but I can check some videos. From what I've seen each successive Arc Blade attack brings the shield/health bar down progressively. It doesn't drop then increase then drop etc. But like I said I can double check a video or two, always good to double check things. Might be tricky to find an example where the Defender wasn't wearing Saint helm since that obviously blinds you so you can't see the health bar.

Even if it is progressive, the way overshield works in this game is actually not quite as straightforward as most think.
Not only does the person with overshield has more overall HP but they also take less damage (two different things).

This is easily evident when you use a sniper on someone who has a revival shield. My sniper does some 320 damage on a headshot which is enough to kill anything without a shield. When I try to revive snipe my headshots only do about ~220 damage and it leaves them with some health left, despite the fact that 220 is higher than a guardian's health...which only leads to 2 conclusions:

1) The overall health is increased (as evident by the fact that they can tank a shot with 220 damage)
2) The damage I do is less (as evident by the fact that my sniper headshot does less damage)

So maybe your arc blade is doing considerably less damage when trying to hit a titan.

j9ss8WR.gif

Just another day in the crucible.

That lag.
I believe the reason why he didn't die is because he got hit (in his game) when his health goes zero..but the explosion happened at the place where it did on your screen...which was a bit far away from his position when you can see his health go down and as such he doesn't gets killed as the game thinks he is far away.

Weird shit.

I also don't understand people who teabag, yesterday there was a guy who killed me once and teabagged me despite the fact that we won all the games until round 4 and I got him every other time we went head to head.

Why does The Last Word always jam up when I swap to it from a secondary and ADS? It's so frustrating. I guess I can't ADS immediately after swapping to it?

With auto fire by holding the trigger? Or semi auto individual trigger pulls? I barely ever auto fire and don't notice jamming as much as some people mention but I have noticed an occasional jam/delay on ADS semi auto like you're saying. Hadn't connected it to switching from secondary and fast ADSing but that's interesting. I'll have to pay more attention next time it happens...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom