• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
English is not my first language so I'm not familiar with the expression of "doing raw", but it definitely sounds like something I haven't and wouldn't like to do to you.

*Shrug*.

You keep saying retreat. I can go back to that old thread, start a new one, or call you on Skype. You're making a big deal where there is none. What the hell does a bubble in this OT even mean in the context of making fun of pseudo science being gobbled up in a thread full or people looking to jump on a bandwagon and void of the technical knowledge to assess the unsubstantiated claims of a games journalist? I didn't wanna speak in these terms but that video is ridiculous garbage and would be laughed right out of any academic's desk.

Psuedo-Science? Unsubstantiated claims? Again, the video isn't meant to be a thesis, nor a research paper. You said it yourself. It's meant to draw parallels. And I wouldn't call the Skinnerbox 'Psuedo-science'. It is anything but.

I mean I could comment the entire video for 15 minutes straight with the same response: citation needed.

There's this. If that isn't enough, read into what a Skinner box is.

Listen, I gave you the benefit of the doubt earlier but now you've just confirmed you want to make this conversation combative. You raise interesting, but ultimately failed assumptions but you're not worth this discussion right now. You wanna know how you keep people playing for 10 years? Give them a game they like playing. No amount of hoops will circumvent that requirement.

A discussion is a discussion. A discussion with two opposing views will seem combative if only because our opinions are differing. That is a conversation.

If you think ________ will stop playing when he gets a Ghallarhorn or Hawkmoon or that he'd never stop playing unt he gets one, or that engrams produce a dopamine release (Jesus run some tests before saying this) because pigeons tap on a screen, or that the fundamentals of behavioral science are sufficiently mature to engineer a game which can addict millions in the span of months, fine.

Again, what is a skinner box.

Ocean, I'm sure your heart is in a right place. But there is science behind this. You have people that have learned how to exploit this behavior working on a team at Bungie, as shown by Skeles link above. To deny that, to try and call it 'psuedo-science' in order to discredit it is misleading at best, damaging at worst. Destiny is a skinner box. A well refined one with many different components at play in order to maximize itself.

I know, I'm just saying this has been known for ages, I admit I'm addicted and I'm fine with that, I mean could be worse right, could be cocaine or something?

Plus I find actually I've limited my playtime a lot recently as other things are coming out. Although I do love plating trials a lot, it feels competitive.

But as soon as I have new and exciting content to play I'll be back, not just for the RNG,
But at the end of the day, it's one of the most mechanically solid shooters I've played for a very long time with a great PVP, (even better once Thorn is nerfed.)

Yup. I'm in the same boat-I know Destiny has extremely addictive mechanics in it(Like I mentioned before, GAF had some 'withdrawal' threads. Maybe it was a joke title, but I know I felt the itch each day to play Destiny and that nonstop thinking about it.). I still continue to play it, because those addictive mechanics feel good at times. Unfortunately HoW didn't grab me as I expected it would, so I'm in between games.

Namikaze1

Some legendary fusion rifle, an Etheric light, and Heart of Praxic Fire.

A meh Nightfall drop this week.

Other than that, thanks for the runs, Noomi and Sentinel! :)

Nuszka

Anyone feels like carrying my sorry remote play ass through nf:) got to my hometown just trying it out my console is over 1500 miles away from me lol edit just lost connection lol

Skele7on

Banned
Yup. I'm in the same boat-I know Destiny has extremely addictive mechanics in it(Like I mentioned before, GAF had some 'withdrawal' threads. Maybe it was a joke title, but I know I felt the itch each day to play Destiny and that nonstop thinking about it.). I still continue to play it, because those addictive mechanics feel good at times. Unfortunately HoW didn't grab me as I expected it would, so I'm in between games.

Yeah same boat for that I hate the quests for new exotics I got the queenbreakers but the other two just seem too much hassle, I dislike POE, it's too long, no checkpoints and just waiting/grinding for the cypher is just too damn long.

Also the fact I had like 900 motes got all the new exotic pieces just missing hunter boots but I am less inclined to bother with nightfalls as RNG just loves giving me legendary engrams.

From what I know talking to my Youtubers I know such as Okey and Byf Taken King is going to be one hell of a game.

nOoblet16

So I was searching for a message from last week in my PSN account and I find out that I can only see the last 5 messages and everything else has been deleted. Wtf?

noomi

Anyone feels like carrying my sorry remote play ass through nf:) got to my hometown just trying it out my console is over 1500 miles away from me lol edit just lost connection lol

Ah man, I would help you out but I'm off to work in about 5min.

NF was crazy easy today, if you still need once I'm back from work later I'll gladly run you through ;)

Pat_DC

Hi DestinyGaf!

I stopped playing destiny when 'The dark below' released and my psn+ expired.
I jumped back in when 'wolves' released and found it fun but it wasn't until I renewed my psn+ that I remembered why I liked it so much originally. Being able to run strikes (even with randoms for now as most of my friends aren't playing any more) and do things like prison of elders is just a completely different dynamic than just soloing missions.

Anyway long story short I am doing the Thorn exotic bounty and dreading doing the 500 void points in PvP. Any tips for a recently returned and rusty guardian?

Nuszka

Ah man, I would help you out but I'm off to work in about 5min.

NF was crazy easy today, if you still need once I'm back from work later I'll gladly run you through ;)

No worries man , might be on later tonight when my parents go to bed , not sure if sober though , so the nf will have real life modifiers 1. Drunk 2. Remote play with lag being 1500 miles away from my ps4 lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My point would be that people are giving Destiny too much credit when the same mechanics are found in countless other games. They didn't even add their own spin on it and instead just copied what countless other producers have done before.

TBH, I don't even know if I will keep with destiny in the future (I am seeing things more clear now after several days not playing). Right now my game objective has been to see everything the game can offer. I have pending:

- Vault of Glass
- Crota's End
- Participate on a Nightfall Strike
- House of Wolves Storyline
- Prison of Elders.

I am not PvP material nor I have the interest on training or my reflexes are decent enough, so I am not counting with ever playing Trials of osiris or seeing the Lighthouse (supposedly it is just more loot, so who cares?", so I don't know what I will do once I see everything. not being interested about loot, I'd soon get tired of the available content (as I was before buying the expansion pass) and forget about the game until a new expansion gives it new life for me.

ocean

Banned
*Shrug*.

Psuedo-Science? Unsubstantiated claims? Again, the video isn't meant to be a thesis, nor a research paper. You said it yourself. It's meant to draw parallels. And I wouldn't call the Skinnerbox 'Psuedo-science'. It is anything but.

There's this. If that isn't enough, read into what a Skinner box is.

A discussion is a discussion. A discussion with two opposing views will seem combative if only because our opinions are differing. That is a conversation.

Again, what is a skinner box.

Ocean, I'm sure your heart is in a right place. But there is science behind this. You have people that have learned how to exploit this behavior working on a team at Bungie, as shown by Skeles link above. To deny that, to try and call it 'psuedo-science' in order to discredit it is misleading at best, damaging at worst. Destiny is a skinner box. A well refined one with many different components at play in order to maximize itself.

I know what a Skinner Box is, but where Reddit and Gamasutra and the video are failing is the following: absent testing, you can vaguely describe anything in these terms. The earliest instance of this discussion I can find as a Reddit thread:
http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2itlvw/destiny_addictive_formula_detailed_by_bungie/

This guy's "research" consisted of grabbing the Wikipedia article on stuff like Operant Conditioning (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning) and basically tying elements of the game to the structure of these concepts.

I could argue that moderators on GAF use name tags as bait to condition us into posting and have calculated the optimal amount of tag awards as a reinforcement schedule. That the community and the expected quotes of "I found that funny" are confirmation feedback loops to stay tied to the thread. And that this is all manipulative.

But the thing is, tying two ideas together and saying there's some parallels doesn't make an argument. The correlation between arcade revenue and deaths from people falling off their beds in the United States (200-2009) matches to r=0.91. I can't just observe two things happening and draw a conclusion without further testing.

Operant conditioning is an important concept but too many people have read about a Skinner Box on Wiki or Kotaku and assume that these things are foolproof manipulation devices. Research into the field allows you to determine what consumers want - creating appetitive incentives towards a given behavior (in terms of business this would mean consumption).

This is at the heart of advertising and indirectly the whole point of every business meeting at every company ever. How do I keep my clients coming back.

I'm calling the article pseudo science because it's taking concepts from fields and arbitrarily awarding get them powers they don't have and using them in a context foreign to their actual scope.

You run focus groups. Players like random rewards. They're satisfying. Let's play around with the rate so it's not overwhelming but not too slow that they feel it isn't worth it. Find a balance of where customers are feeling most satisfied. There you go, you've managed to create a virtual system people enjoy and have fun with. That's as far as the Skinner Box concept can be taken here.

The key difference being: in creating a reinforcement schedule designed to keep people here because it's where they've revealed to draw satisfaction, as opposed to the (this is insane) rate which causes addiction.

And if you're successfully satisfying your clients, you've got a product that sells. If you don't, you have a product people quit on. You adapt so your retention rate improves - by listening to what they want and implementing the attending changes.

Do you see the difference between trying to keep your clients by designing systems that suit their responses - and the macabre suggestion that they're engineering addiction?

Silav101

Thanks to Lionel and Nightzoor for that amusing Nightfall run. Arc burn + lightswitch means getting one-shot by a melee dreg. XD

Hi DestinyGaf!

I stopped playing destiny when 'The dark below' released and my psn+ expired.
I jumped back in when 'wolves' released and found it fun but it wasn't until I renewed my psn+ that I remembered why I liked it so much originally. Being able to run strikes (even with randoms for now as most of my friends aren't playing any more) and do things like prison of elders is just a completely different dynamic than just soloing missions.

Anyway long story short I am doing the Thorn exotic bounty and dreading doing the 500 void points in PvP. Any tips for a recently returned and rusty guardian?

While not the most honest method, what my brothers and I did was play rumble (you can bring up to two friends) and have them tell you where they are so you can kill them with a Void weapon. It took us about 6 matches or so and will depend on whether the other three players find you and kill you a lot^^

Oh yeah... Destiny Day today :D

Free emblem and maybe some other goodies?

you mean this ?
Ascendant_shard1.jpg

Happy Bungie Day, everyone. I've only recently come back to Destiny (360) after getting burnt out back in October. A lot of the little underlying updates to the game's RNG feel quite a bit better than they did before and now that I have a job I have less time to pour into grinding hours on end so I'm thinking I might not get burnt again if I bite on more content. The Expansion Pass is on sale right now for $26.24 and I'm wondering if I should take the plunge. My main concerns are quality of content, as I've heard mixed things for both, more negative for TDB and more positive for HoW, but they doesn't sound nearly as extensive as I hoped they'd be back when they were announced. I'm also giving slight consideration to getting one of the new systems, but it's ultimately not a huge concern ATM since neither the PS4 or Xbox One have the number of games I want in order to buy.

So my question is: are the expansions worth it at that price? 20 would be ideal but that's close enough for me to be tempted. I seem to remember the "GOTY" edition of Destiny being 10 bucks more than retail price but I can't recall.

Happy Bungie Day, everyone. I've only recently come back to Destiny (360) after getting burnt out back in October. A lot of the little underlying updates to the game's RNG feel quite a bit better than they did before and now that I have a job I have less time to pour into grinding hours on end so I'm thinking I might not get burnt again if I bite on more content. The Expansion Pass is on sale right now for $26.24 and I'm wondering if I should take the plunge. My main concerns are quality of content, as I've heard mixed things for both, more negative for TDB and more positive for HoW, but they doesn't sound nearly as extensive as I hoped they'd be back when they were announced. I'm also giving slight consideration to getting one of the new systems, but it's ultimately not a huge concern ATM since neither the PS4 or Xbox One have the number of games I want in order to buy.

So my question is: are the expansions worth it at that price? 20 would be ideal but that's close enough for me to be tempted. I seem to remember the "GOTY" edition of Destiny being 10 bucks more than retail price but I can't recall.
I would hold off IMO unless you have a group of friends to play with. It would be better in the long run to just pick everything (base game + TDB + HoW + TTK) up for $60 in September. If you do choice a new system, most likely PS4 since the majority of the players here are on PS4.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Just wait unless you need to play right now for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom