• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admodieus

Hi DestinyGAF! I need some advice.

So, I have the game since launch but stopped playing for a while with some periods where I would come back and get tired of the grind.

But recently I decided to come back to it since well, I like the mindless shooter aspect of it and COD didn't grab me at all like Destiny does (or did).

Thing is, I'm currently level 27 and I'm debating if it's worth to pay the 35 dollars for the expansion at the level I'm currently am. I feel like I want more content but is that content worth it? And how much of it requires me to be searching for people outside the game all the time?

Also, I never did the raid and I would love to try it eventually. Hopefully someone from here would be willing to let me tag along some day.

So, is short, I'm a level 27 Titan that never played the raid (but I really like the strikes) thinking of playing more of the game and wondering if the 35 dollars expansion is worth it right now for me. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

I wouldn't purchase any DLC right now, you can save money by getting it all with the Taken King in September. You have plenty of content to play as you get back into the game. Start grinding Vanguard and Crucible marks to buy some new armor to get your light level up and post on here for a team to lead you through the Vault of Glass.

So, I have the game since launch but stopped playing for a while with some periods where I would come back and get tired of the grind.

But recently I decided to come back to it since well, I like the mindless shooter aspect of it and COD didn't grab me at all like Destiny does (or did).

Thing is, I'm currently level 27 and I'm debating if it's worth to pay the 35 dollars for the expansion at the level I'm currently am. I feel like I want more content but is that content worth it? And how much of it requires me to be searching for people outside the game all the time?

Also, I never did the raid and I would love to try it eventually. Hopefully someone from here would be willing to let me tag along some day.

So, is short, I'm a level 27 Titan that never played the raid (but I really like the strikes) thinking of playing more of the game and wondering if the 35 dollars expansion is worth it right now for me. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

I don't think anyone is gonna be able to tell you if the content is worth it or not. That's absolutely something you have to decide on your own. A bunch of people have scoffed at the $40 tag for the next expansion, and while I do understand the ridicule somewhat, the amount of time I'm going to get out of it is certainly going to feel like more than $40 worth.

Your level really doesn't have anything to do with whether it will be worth your purchase or not, at least in my opinion. They've made getting to the level cap incredibly easy and it's something you will be able to do in a fairly short amount of time. Finding people isn't all that difficult. There's a lot of people here willing to help, myself included. One thing to note though is that a big part of the most recent expansion is PVP based and some of the better rewards are in that mode, so if you aren't into PVP then that's something you might want to consider.

Oh and if you do buy the two expansions right now and you buy the Taken King when it comes out, you will end up spending $75 instead of $60. Not sure how much 15 bucks is worth to you.

Hello :) well to answer your questions, the DLC is hit and miss. I can only recommend it if you do already enjoy the game for what is it. Frankly if you dont mind waiting, I would recommend waiting till September and buying The Taken King - Limited Edition which comes with the base game + The Dark Below + House of Wolves and The Taken King for $60. But that will save you only ~$15 in the end. I dont think ~15 bucks is that big of a deal but each their own. Thus the final choice is your own.

Most of the time just post away like people are currently doing now. You can find a group easily ( disclaimer depends on what console, what the time and day it is ). Its mostly PS4 users with a small Xbone players.

If you are on PS4 I will more than willing to do a raid with you. There are plenty of people that would help out new players :)

Hope this helps out.

GutZ31

Thanks! Feedback fence, bleh.

This page belongs to the only class in the game worth a damn

KB0bGZ.gif

What did you say?
Bruce-warns.gif

ocean

Banned
Yeah, it's great. Never have to worry about special ammo.
I'm guessing Double Down + Field Scout?

My LDR has Ambush, Diuble Down, Snapshot/Perfect Balance and Final Round. It's perfect for me, it's basically the only secondary I use in PvP. If it had Fueld scout in middle row it'd also be amazing for PvE...

Haybro

I'm guessing Double Down + Field Scout?

My LDR had Ambush, Diuble Down, Snapshot/Perfect Balance and Final Round. It's perfect for me, it's basically the only secondary I use in PvP. If it had Fueld scout in middle row it'd also be amazing for PvE...

Yeah, that's it. Double down and field scout. If I remember, I'll post a screenshot of the 24 shots when I get home.

Is Iron Banner over now? I feel like I barley got to play. Anyway, I think that I've broken my addiction. I've been busy doing summer stuff and digging up weird things to watch on Netflix. I only have two exotics from HoWs, and I just don't have to urge to get the others. I ignored Nightfalls and PoE in favor of the PvP activities, and don't think I can muster the drive to start grinding PvE stuff at this point.

I still wish ToO was a bit more forgiving. I spent a lot of time practicing, but just plateaued hard... so even though I enjoy ToO, it's just too hard to progress. Every team feels like an elite MLG team with guys pulling off mid jump sniper kills and what not.

PuMa

Is Iron Banner over now? I feel like I barley got to play. Anyway, I think that I've broken my addiction. I've been busy doing summer stuff and digging up weird things to watch on Netflix. I only have two exotics from HoWs, and I just don't have to urge to get the others. I ignored Nightfalls and PoE in favor of the PvP activities, and don't think I can muster the drive to start grinding PvE stuff at this point.

Sense 8. Watch it. (if you haven't already)

kiguel182

If you have PS4 people here raid all the time, you can get added to one of their raids pretty easily by posting here. (I'm on Xbox so it's harder to find people in this thread, PSN/PS4 is the default here).

The new content is pretty cool especially if you like PvP but IMO the best part of the game is still Vault of Glass which you can access with your vanilla copy - if you're gonna buy the DLC at all you might want to do it as part of the Taken King digital upgrade that gets you the old DLC plus the new (September) DLC package altogether.

If you want to join the content that doesn't have matchmaking either this thread (PS4) or the100.io (for any platform) is your friend and will make it pretty easy to schedule games and get 3/6 players together for that stuff.

Well... House of Wolves was a great update, but fell short on a few aspects. You can run the Prison of Elders to get new gear and get yourself up to level 28 or do some pvp. You will still need to rely on finding people to do raids and such...

I'll be honest here with you... most of us are now getting burned out on House of Wolves and starting to do other things until The Taken King released. So it's going to get harder top find groups and players to group up with. It's more about Trials of Osiris and PvP this time around.

If you are uncertain I would say just wait it out until the taken king comes out....

I wouldn't purchase any DLC right now, you can save money by getting it all with the Taken King in September. You have plenty of content to play as you get back into the game. Start grinding Vanguard and Crucible marks to buy some new armor to get your light level up and post on here for a team to lead you through the Vault of Glass.

I don't think anyone is gonna be able to tell you if the content is worth it or not. That's absolutely something you have to decide on your own. A bunch of people have scoffed at the $40 tag for the next expansion, and while I do understand the ridicule somewhat, the amount of time I'm going to get out of it is certainly going to feel like more than $40 worth.

Your level really doesn't have anything to do with whether it will be worth your purchase or not, at least in my opinion. They've made getting to the level cap incredibly easy and it's something you will be able to do in a fairly short amount of time. Finding people isn't all that difficult. There's a lot of people here willing to help, myself included. One thing to note though is that a big part of the most recent expansion is PVP based and some of the better rewards are in that mode, so if you aren't into PVP then that's something you might want to consider.

Oh and if you do buy the two expansions right now and you buy the Taken King when it comes out, you will end up spending $75 instead of $60. Not sure how much 15 bucks is worth to you.

Hello :) well to answer your questions, the DLC is hit and miss. I can only recommend it if you do already enjoy the game for what is it. Frankly if you dont mind waiting, I would recommend waiting till September and buying The Taken King - Limited Edition which comes with the base game + The Dark Below + House of Wolves and The Taken King for $60. But that will save you only ~$15 in the end. I dont think ~15 bucks is that big of a deal but each their own. Thus the final choice is your own.

Most of the time just post away like people are currently doing now. You can find a group easily ( disclaimer depends on what console, what the time and day it is ). Its mostly PS4 users with a small Xbone players.

If you are on PS4 I will more than willing to do a raid with you. There are plenty of people that would help out new players :)

Hope this helps out.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Price wise the only edition available of the Taken King on the EU PS4 is 90 euros, which includes the whole game so buying the expansions and then the Taken King would still be cheaper. And the fact that you have to buy the expansions anyway makes it pretty even price wise (even if I could sell the base game I have for like 30 euros before buying the Taken King). Unless there's another, cheaper version, that isn't on the PSN store then I don't think price plays a big factor.

And I do enjoy PvP and played a good amount of it alt ought no matchmaking on Trials of Osiris is a bummer. If I could find people here (or else where) that don't take it super seriously I can see myself enjoying it a lot. I'm not interested in being a super hardcore player so that would be out of the question for me.

I think one of the advantages of buying the expansion now would be to have more content to grind on (the vanilla game it's getting tiring for me) and to explore more of the game until the Taken King gets released.

I'm really inclined to buy it honestly and try to sell off Advanced Warfare to kinda break even. I don't enjoy the idea of mandatory expansions but the truth is that I like having a shooter to come back to regularly and this way I could be ready for Taken King in September.

EDIT: Apparently the regular edition is retailer only. It would probably still be 70 euros so I would save 5 unless they did a discount. Still, I would be behind on content and it would probably be harder to run the old stuff when everyone is playing the Taken King content.

PuMa

I felt like that show was all over the place, I couldn't get past the first episode.

Well, one episode isn't much to go by...it's 8 different characters and the stories start to converge, of course. It's the Wachowski brothers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom