• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shito

One more noob question; I understand you need to do the HoW story missions to unlock PoE. I gave the first story mission a shot and got absolutely murdered when I had to fight the waves of servitors, stealth guys and captains. Are these missions meant to be really hard, am I just shitty or is this because of outdated vanilla Destiny gear?
What level were you and what the mission's level is?
If I remember right the first mission is 26?
If you are a level or more lower than that, you will suffer severe penalties to the damage you deal to the enemies, and they will hurt way more. If you're at level, it has probably more to do with your weapons being shitty.
Those missions are not really hard if you are at level and properly equipped.

phen0m24

Still can't believe we made it to Mercury last night. What a rush. Nothing gets you better at Destiny PVP than playing like 20 hours straight with a god-tier player like Todd, lol

Jason keep your eyes peeled for when these guys do IB or Crucible "pain trains." Being in there with Unstable and Wicked and Drizzy and Twilight Gap and Fig and Rubenov and so many crazy good pvp players is lots of fun. I say this being the resident boat anchor. ;)

feels good. Watch out real life, here I come! Will post screenshots of myself performing Space Magic on the basement to make a playroom for the kids. Or Crying Havoc on a Burrito when I go out to eat instead of ordering a pizza for delivery.

Dude I need to do more of that stuff. Inspired. :)

As an aside, the Red Bull code I had that didn't work before? It worked today.

So if you had bad codes try them again!
Closest thing I could find to "bad codes" lol

https://youtu.be/0qIMTA4_YdU

What level were you and what the mission's level is?
If I remember right the first mission is 26?
If you are a level or more lower than that, you will suffer severe penalties to the damage you deal to the enemies, and they will hurt way more. If you're at level, it has probably more to do with your weapons being shitty.
Those missions are not really hard if you are at level and properly equipped.

Thats kinda what took me by surprise; the mission was lv 26 and I'm lv 27. I fully admit however that I'm pretty shit at shooters not named Splatoon, so it could be just that.

LiK

Still can't believe we made it to Mercury last night. What a rush. Nothing gets you better at Destiny PVP than playing like 20 hours straight with a god-tier player like Todd, lol

I only play PVP these days. PVE is boring as fuck.

And Todd is a good player when he's not going for stupid bounties. lol

I actually didn't make the Destiny comparison, but I sorta see it now that you mention it. Either way, it looks soooo god.

Hell yes it does. Day 1 for sure.

Taking a break from Destiny this week to focus on backlog. Will log on to do 1 HM VoG run and that's it (turns out I'm still missing the Warlock Gauntlets).

Platinum'ed Stardust Ultra last night. Went back to Infamous First Light for the platinum this time. Challenges might take a while tho.

Okey, I'm going into the expansions now.

Should I just start with the Dark Below stuff? Or jump to House of Wolves?

My suggestion would be to find at least 1 person to so these with. It makes it that much more enjoyable, imo. There's really no point in ranking up Eris anymore (TDB) but if you want to check out the missions you could. They're OK. HoW is definitely better.

kiguel182

My suggestion would be to find at least 1 person to so these with. It makes it that much more enjoyable, imo. There's really no point in ranking up Eris anymore (TDB) but if you want to check out the missions you could. They're OK. HoW is definitely better.

Well, since you got both, might as well do those in order. Dark Below first.

Okay, I'm doing those then. They are short from what I've heard.

My main reason weren't the story missions anyway. Do I get any cool stuff from them at least?

I know what a Skinner Box is, but where Reddit and Gamasutra and the video are failing is the following: absent testing, you can vaguely describe anything in these terms. The earliest instance of this discussion I can find as a Reddit thread:
http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2itlvw/destiny_addictive_formula_detailed_by_bungie/

This guy's "research" consisted of grabbing the Wikipedia article on stuff like Operant Conditioning (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning) and basically tying elements of the game to the structure of these concepts.

I could argue that moderators on GAF use name tags as bait to condition us into posting and have calculated the optimal amount of tag awards as a reinforcement schedule. That the community and the expected quotes of "I found that funny" are confirmation feedback loops to stay tied to the thread. And that this is all manipulative.

But the thing is, tying two ideas together and saying there's some parallels doesn't make an argument. The correlation between arcade revenue and deaths from people falling off their beds in the United States (200-2009) matches to r=0.91. I can't just observe two things happening and draw a conclusion without further testing.

Operant conditioning is an important concept but too many people have read about a Skinner Box on Wiki or Kotaku and assume that these things are foolproof manipulation devices. Research into the field allows you to determine what consumers want - creating appetitive incentives towards a given behavior (in terms of business this would mean consumption).

This is at the heart of advertising and indirectly the whole point of every business meeting at every company ever. How do I keep my clients coming back.

I'm calling the article pseudo science because it's taking concepts from fields and arbitrarily awarding get them powers they don't have and using them in a context foreign to their actual scope.

You run focus groups. Players like random rewards. They're satisfying. Let's play around with the rate so it's not overwhelming but not too slow that they feel it isn't worth it. Find a balance of where customers are feeling most satisfied. There you go, you've managed to create a virtual system people enjoy and have fun with. That's as far as the Skinner Box concept can be taken here.

The key difference being: in creating a reinforcement schedule designed to keep people here because it's where they've revealed to draw satisfaction, as opposed to the (this is insane) rate which causes addiction.

And if you're successfully satisfying your clients, you've got a product that sells. If you don't, you have a product people quit on. You adapt so your retention rate improves - by listening to what they want and implementing the attending changes.

Do you see the difference between trying to keep your clients by designing systems that suit their responses - and the macabre suggestion that they're engineering addiction?

You're really reaching with false equivalences.

LiK

PvP is really the only excitement for me anymore :(

I don't even bother with Weeklies, Dailies, Raids or PoE at all now. I still do NF for the buff but that's pretty much over since I maxed out most gear I care about.

PVP is the only mode I find fun. I love killing real people. Too bad finding people to play regular PVP with outside of IB/ToO is like pulling teeth.

EL CUCO

I only play PVP these days. PVE is boring as fuck.

And Todd is a good player when he's not going for stupid bounties. lol
Yeah not caring too much about PvE these days. Only the mandatory Nightfall for the buff.

Skolas can suck it.

Lnkn52

For those that play on multiple consoles, use your fav controller all the time:
http://cronusmax.com/cross-over-gaming/

maxplus_upgrade02.png

Goth is playing on the Xbox with his PS4 controller.

ich00

I mostly agree with this, except: Eris is worth ranking up to get the sunsetting shader, it's one of the best in the game, imo.

I hate to be a debbie downer, but I'm kinda peeved at how much grinding I've got ahead of me to break out of that lv 25 ghetto. One of the main reasons I got back into the game was that I saw a lot of people saying HoW solves a lot of vanilla Destiny's grinding problems, but it seems to me that the grinding is still as well, grindy as ever.

I don't even want to think about all the grinding I'll have to do once I start a Hunter and have to level up and grind rep/marks all over again...

Vire

Anything new for Bungie Day?

Remember the days when we got a free map for Halo 3? Yeah.. those were the days.

I hate to be a debbie downer, but I'm kinda peeved at how much grinding I've got ahead of me to break out of that lv 25 ghetto. One of the main reasons I got back into the game was that I saw a lot of people saying HoW solves a lot of vanilla Destiny's grinding problems, but it seems to me that the grinding is still as well, grindy as ever.

I don't even want to think about all the grinding I'll have to do once I start a Hunter and have to level up and grind rep/marks all over again...

You're on PS4 I assume? There is a newbie raid planned this weekend, you're welcome to join that...

You could conceivably grind one guy to 33 and then farm out your armor cores from PoE 32 to your two alts and get them to 34 in like two months, probably shorter because you'll definitely stumble across some exotics over that time that they can use.

Akai XIII

Get to 23, get sherpa'd through VoG. Bang lv27*.
Get sherpa'd through CE, pop lv30.

* May not get all the gear first week, but you should get some.

Shito

Thats kinda what took me by surprise; the mission was lv 26 and I'm lv 27. I fully admit however that I'm pretty shit at shooters not named Splatoon, so it could be just that.
Well, you really just need to keep on playing the game to get good at it, it doesn't require an incredible skill ceiling to be competent at -- in that sense I feel like it may be the very best FPS to start the genre with.
One good general advice in PVE is to never go straight into the melee, but rather wait behind a safe~ish spot to slowly thin out the enemies. Do not hesitate to backtrack to where you are coming from, and take cover behind rocks, crates, or the likes. If you are against enemies that are mostly trying to rush at you, use a shotgun, and if you are against enemies who plays the hide and seek game from a distance, use a sniper rifle. Matching the enemies shields with your weapons is also quite important.

Namikaze1

Alright, if you answer this question correctly, you get the second red bull code:

Who shot first?

Tell me, who was it!

Okay real question:

"Stick around."

This quote is from a famous movie starring a famous actor. Another actor in this film went on to do even more than just acting. unlike the main star of the film, he stuck to Hollywood. He would go on to write screen plays for some very fan favorite films. He would then direct a cult favorite and a divisive film. One actor appeared in said films. What's that actor's name and first lead role film?

You're on PS4 I assume? There is a newbie raid planned this weekend, you're welcome to join that...

Oh cool, yeah, that'd be great! As long as you guys don't mind having me that is, as I've said before, I'm pretty rubbish :p

You could conceivably grind one guy to 33 and then farm out your armor cores from PoE 32 to your two alts and get them to 34 in like two months, probably shorter because you'll definitely stumble across some exotics over that time that they can use.

Oh, PoE drops aren't class specific? Yeah, that sounds like a pretty good idea then! Definitely beats the alternative at least :p

LiK

That's unfortunate.

But I just did the first mission and it was super short but honestly, super fun too.

EDIT: I'm also playing this while listening to Giant Bomb shit on the game ahah Still enjoyed it.

Dude, when I was farming and grinding, I had all the eps where Jeff shat on Destiny played back to back. It was great!

Oh cool, yeah, that'd be great! As long as you guys don't mind having me that is, as I've said before, I'm pretty rubbish :p

Oh, PoE drops aren't class specific? Yeah, that sounds like a pretty good idea then! Definitely beats the alternative at least :p

Yes, anyone is welcome and there is no gear requirement. Also, no one is rubbish.

Add me on PSN: ruthlesbarbarian

Yes PoE 32 rewards armor cores that can be shared between characters to buy the piece of armor being sold by Variks in the reef.

Roll full auto on the Dead Orbit one and it shoots pretty fast. Range is meaningless in PVE.

the stability on it is horrible though
I don't even bother with Weeklies, Dailies, Raids or PoE at all now. I still do NF for the buff but that's pretty much over since I maxed out most gear I care about.

PVP is the only mode I find fun. I love killing real people. Too bad finding people to play regular PVP with outside of IB/ToO is like pulling teeth.
I'm on the exact same boat, the tedious repetitive nature of PoE is a turn off. Raids are a chore.
I did like the Petra missions though.

PVP fore me is fun because you get to customize your character the way you want them and select the weapons best suited for your playstyle and actually get to use the perks from yoru Exotic Aarmor.

I got Nothing Manacles on 100% discipline. Makes Voidwalkers dangerous in Control even when their super are not loaded

X-Frame

Should we assume that Destiny 2 would be releasing Q3 2016 or later than that?

Because if they announce it at E3 2016 then that isn't long for a release, and seems to be unlike Activision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom