• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOoblet16

That's what I said. A sniper like Patience and Time is more in the "medium" range than the LDR / Her Benevolence / Shadow Veils.
I'd classify those as low impact.
What would you classify Black hammer as then if you consider LDR level high impact...very high?

The scale becomes arbitray if you do that....for me there are only three types low, medium and high. Everything at and below patience and time is low impact, everything at LDR level is medium and Black hammer is the only high impact sniper.

LiK

Anyone actually like using P&T? It sounds like a toy gun and I never liked the feel back when I used it. Been vaulted long ago.

Hedera

Speaking of the soundtrack, that would be a fantastic item to have in the Collector's Edition. The music in Destiny is amazing imo.

ocean

Banned
LDR are "medium" impact snipers now ? They don't have the 2d highest impact of snipers in this game ?
LDR belongs to the high impact tier of snipers. Unless you want to limit high impact to mean literally 2 snipers (Black Hammer and Spear, only ones at 37 impact). I don't think you can make a tier out of two guns :p call them highest impact or something. They're outliers. This is all arbitrary of course but a category is more useful when it describes many elements.

31 impact snipers like LDR, Ice Breaker, Benevolence/Supremacy, Shadow of Veils, Longbow et al are what I would call high impact. Good test = they can shoot through a revive shield and, with Final Round, can one-shot to the body. They don't fire too quickly but they pack a punch.

Below that you have a wide array of options in the middle impact tier, which can 2 shot to the body but not shoot through a revive shield (Eye of Sol, Low Grade Humility etc)

Then you have the low tier really fast firing ones like Subtle Nudge and some of the other new vendor ones.

Anyone actually like using P&T? It sounds like a toy gun and I never liked the feel back when I used it. Been vaulted long ago.

I sharded mine months ago to make vault space then got it in nightfall last week so I'm re-leveling it. Used it last night in the nightfall and oh man it wrecks (arc burn helps I know). I forgot how stable it is. Definitely going to keep it handy.

ocean

Banned
The exotic perk is gimicky but it does crazy DPS. 6 shots you can fire really quickly and with little time adjusting aim or chance of missed crits since it's so stable. Having Third Eye also helps a lot when you're focused on an enemy since it can warn you of unseen enemies too. It's not the hardest hitting per bullet but it's a bit like Praedyth's: you can chain crits so reliably and quickly that it ends up performing on par or even better, or at worst not far from its harder hitting peers.

Shadow of Veils was crazy good for this week's NF. Headshots were hitting for 48k w/ arc burn and the bonus fallen damage.

And I'm not a fan of P&T. I'd choose an arc LDR over it any day.

LiK

Speaking of the soundtrack, that would be a fantastic item to have in the Collector's Edition. The music in Destiny is amazing imo.

Still annoyed they haven't released tracks from the expansions. I bought the OST on iTunes and I wish they added them. They'll most likely charge for a volume 2 set. Bungie wants money.

Hyun Sai

I'd classify those as low impact.
What would you classify Black hammer as then if you consider LDR level high impact...very high?

The scale becomes arbitray if you do that....for me there are only three types low, medium and high. Everything at and below patience and time is low impact, everything at LDR level is medium and Black hammer is the only high impact sniper.

Here are all the categories of impact in the game :

Prudence II and similar : 13
Praedyth revenge : 16
Patience and Time :22
LDR : 31
Black Hammer :37.

I just can't put Patience and Time in the same category of Prudence (low), it got such a massive difference in damage, so yes, I guess I consider Black Hammer and Efidreet on the "Very High" class.

If an even higher impact sniper is coming in September, I'll consider LDR like snipers in the medium range.

EDIT : Ocean beat me to it, and explained it better ^^

nOoblet16

LDR belongs to the high impact tier of snipers. Unless you want to limit high impact to mean literally 2 snipers (Black Hammer and Spear, only ones at 37 impact). I don't think you can make a tier out of two guns :p or call them highest impact or something. They're outliers. This is all arbitrary of course but a category is more useful when it describes many elements.

31 impact snipers like LDR, Ice Breaker, Benevolence/Supremacy, Shadow of Veils, Longbow et al are what I would call high impact. Good test = they can shoot through a revive shield and, with Final Round, can one-shot to the body. They don't fire too quickly but they pack a punch.

Below that you have a wide array of options in the middle impact tier, which can 2 shot to the body but not shoot through a revive shield (Eye of Sol, Low Grade Humility etc)

Then you have the low tier really fast firing ones like Subtle Nudge and some of the other new vendor ones.
Well you are doing exactly what you said you can't do with regards to low impact snipers.

You say you can't make a tier out of two weapons but if you classify LGH as medium then you effectively have just subtle nudge in the low impact class...can you make a class out of one weapon? It's the only sniper in the game that can't two shot on body shots. Even if there is some other sniper in that impact range that I don't know of you will still be making a weapon class out of two or three weapons which is what you didn't want to do for black hammer/spear.

Out of curiosity, how does the Titan plays once fully leveled (only class I still haven't tried)? I always though it would feel like playing regular Halo, hence starting as a Warlock.

I've kept reading on the other Destiny threads, plus the comments I get from other gamers IRL when I mention I play Destiny, and it is feeling more and more like being a hated minority (ok, not remotely, I have a bit of experience with that but you get the point). I can understand that Destiny may be a flawed game, but it feels like hating it has turned into a sport nowadays. I already had to told a friend "before spouting more crap, you could play the campaign and strikes with me on coop. You don't have to devote yourself to the game to enjoy it".

I'm considering breaking the week long vacation I was going to take. I am detoxed and not having withdrawal anymore, but The expansion pass ate my monthly gaming budget and I don't have a lot to play right now.

LiK

The Spear is an Iron Banner weapon.
Guess it wasn't in the loot table in the recent one. It only dropped ARs, Scouts and FRs.

Out of curiosity, how does the Titan plays once fully leveled (only class I still haven't tried)? I always though it would feel like playing regular Halo, hence starting as a Warlock.

I've kept reading on the other Destiny threads, plus the comments I get from other gamers IRL when I mention I play Destiny, and it is feeling more and more like being a hated minority (ok, not remotely, I have a bit of experience with that but you get the point). I can understand that Destiny may be a flawed game, but it feels like hating it has turned into a sport nowadays. I already had to told a friend "before spouting more crap, you could play the campaign and strikes with me on coop. You don't have to devote yourself to the game to enjoy it".

I'm considering breaking the week long vacation I was going to take. I am detoxed and not having withdrawal anymore, but The expansion pass ate my monthly gaming budget and I don't have a lot to play right now.

Titans can wreck if you're good with them. The Striker is the class to go to for kills. The Lightning grenades and Shoulder Charge can really be great for quick kills and annoying the other team. Defender is great for Control usually with their bubbles.

The main issue with them is their lack of range for their Supers. They don't have anything like the Gunslingers or Voidwalkers. Hopefully this changes with the new Solar subclass.

ocean

Banned
Well you are doing exactly what you said you can't do with regards to low impact snipers.

You say you can't make a tier out of two weapons but if you classify LGH as medium then you effectively have just subtle nudge in the low impact class...can you make a class out of one weapon? It's the only sniper in the game that can't two shot on body shots. Even if there is some other sniper in that impact range that I don't know of you will still be making a weapon class out of two or three weapons which is what you didn't want to do for black hammer/spear.
There's 4 Snipers at that impact class, 2 of them legendaries introduced in TDB. A more reasonable approach would probably be grouping up by categories with discernible damage and RoF differences, of which there are 3 broad groups (or 6 actual archetypes if you wanna get ultra specific):

Low impact: 10-13 impact snipers like Subtle Nudge, Prudence, 20/20 AMR, Eye of Sol (just checked, thought it was higher!)

Medium impact: 16-22 impact like Final Boss, LGH, Violator, P&T, The Chosen, Praedyth's etc.

High Impact: 31-37 impact like Ice Breaker, LDR, Black Hammer, Efreideet's Spear, Benevolence, Shadow of Veils

Again this is arbitrary and ultimately meaningless, just naming schemes with no officiality to them :p but it just struck me as strange, I would never have considered Ice Breaker or LDR to be medium impact.

So I just started again after leaving when I beat Hard Crota back in March. Played some yesterday and now my last triumph is now level 35 PoE. How much pain am I in for?

Hyun Sai

Treating LDR like snipers as "medium" is extremely misleading for the new players. When people asked for High Impact snipers for Skolas burns, it was clear it was LDR, Shadow Veils, Her Benevolence, Black Hammer, Efidreet. Same when we ask for one shot through revive shield in PVP.

That's why they classify them as low High, but still in the High impact class.

PuMa

It feels cheap that Taniks goes immune after certain health bar percentages before the final room though. I could have killed that dude with my Plan C at the start of the strike otherwise.

You actually can kill him before he gets to the end room. I did it with a couple gaffers last night. He still spawns in the end room though.

noomi

Speaking of Sniper Rifles....

Anyone miss the ice breaker? It used to always be in my inventory and my go to weapon for soloing nightfalls....I can;t even remember the last time I used it :*(

Owensboro

As someone new to the whole raiding thing, what's a good website to get a complete overview of each fight and what each person in the raid *should* be doing? I get the general idea of each encounter but on the more mechanics heavy fights I get kind of lost in the "X Does this job while Y does this and the rest just run here".

Also, is there a good rundown of what loot you should be shooting for from each raid? I got a Fatebringer last night in that Hard Mode run, promptly thought "Aww hell, I hate handcannons", and then was promptly told it's the best handcannon in the game and that I'm an idiot if I don't level it up and try it out. (P.S., I'm totally leveling it up and will try it out). I figure a breakdown of what to shoot for from each place would be super helpful.

Had a hell of a fun time in the Vault of Glass Hardmode last night. Can't wait to try Crota Hard!

ocean

Banned

Anyone miss the ice breaker? It used to always be in my inventory and my go to weapon for soloing nightfalls....I can;t even remember the last time I used it :*(
Used it for Solar Valus the other week, so fun! Like Valus himself got a Horn salute but every phase until then I did with Ice Breaker. Everything melted, I missed that gun. So good.

PuMa

Yeah, there's just no need for the hardcore cheese any more. That was its specialty.

LiK

I've seen people go back to it recently in strikes and PVP. Yes, PVP...

ich00

I feel the same way! I dug it out yesterday for one of the weeklies just get to get some use(it used to be a go to for me pre-BH and 'horne). Kind of like I took out the P&T since it get so little use.

Hyun Sai

I still use it in Hard VoG, it's a pretty useful sniper there.

Deku Tree

I used to use IB all the time until I got GHorn. Now I use Horn all the time.

I still use IB for confluxes and oracles though. For Atheon I used VoC, BHam, and SGA.

oneils

So I just started again after leaving when I beat Hard Crota back in March. Played some yesterday and now my last triumph is now level 35 PoE. How much pain am I in for?

So when they say beat poe on hard they mean level 35? Yikes. Did not know that. Thought maybe it was level 32 or 34.

noomi

I've seen in in trials a few times, I think people use it because it has such a high aim assist. Takes up an exotic slot though :|

I feel the same way! I dug it out yesterday for one of the weeklies just get to get some use(it used to be a go to for me pre-BH and 'horne). Kind of like I took out the P&T since it get so little use.

Used it for Solar Valus the other week, so fun! Like Valus himself got a Horn salute but every phase until then I did with Ice Breaker. Everything melted, I missed that gun. So good.

Yeah, there's just no need for the hardcore cheese any more. That was its specialty.

I might give it a shot in the weekly since it's solar burn this week :)

I still use it in Hard VoG, it's a pretty useful sniper there.

I would always use it in VOG, especially when cheesing the oracles and against Atheon :p

I would always use it in VOG, especially when cheesing the oracles and against Atheon :p

we have a group of four looking for one more to help run through Hard Atheon the fast way tonight in a few hours, what'cha doin'? :D

(Crota can be done with 3 players, Vault takes 5 on Hard modes)

ocean

Banned
Well it's got great aim assistance and enough impact to get the job done, does some AoE damage, can boost agility and save you the ammo hunt. For PvP the issue is having a little too much zoom and crazy recoil if you miss the head.

Not the best option in most cases but it's a great weapon for Combined Arms.

Blunoise

Man now you guys got me listening to the soundtrack to work. I never though Destiny would become a drug to me lol, I need September to get here so I can explore a new unknown world and get my Legendary emblem

Lombax

Banned
Question: I got my first heavy weapon last night. I see it listed in my HUD but there is no ammo associated with it? Do I have to buy that from an vendor?

Also how do I switch to it triangle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom