• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the Halo OT was locked permanently until Halo 5.

Spartans never die, just missing in action. Plus we still have the MCC topic.

New to this and just got to level 20 (+22) yesterday and was wondering what the best way is to proceed now that I'm level 20? Do I just do the raids? Is it worth me returning to planets to patrol them?

Check the OP, there is a ton on info on leveling past 20 :)

ofc if you have any questions feel free to ask.

phen0m24

I could hear you telling Josh in the background, "Josh, you're going to drive me to drink."

Then two seconds later, Dad had to take over the controller to show him what was up... and then we wiped in the exact same spot to the exact same enemy...

Well in full disclosure, that was true. I was more going bonkers that he was reloading after EVERY shot with Patience and Time. It was making me get OCD, and I don't really have OCD. Like dude why ahhhhrrffgh and then one shot reload one shot reload it was like a No Land Beyond video review.

Yeah dude we totally wiped lol

ocean

Banned
apologies for all the basic questions today all, but just one more.

In terms of DPS is Warlock or Hunter the best option? I honestly can't find a solid answer in the searching around I have done.

More looking for opinions from Hunters and Warlocks out there and their experiences in game thus far.

I am playing as a Warlock now (level 7)

Thank you.
There aren't strict DPS differences but I'll try. I guess the hardest hitting Super in terms of sustained DPS would be a Sunsinger Warlock if you have high Discipline, you can throw about a dozen grenades during your Super. A dozen Fusion grenades will do a ton of damage on any target. Overall Supers don't do all that much damage in PvE and they're all overkill anyways in PvP so it doesn't matter much.

But classes in Destiny aren't differentiated so much in terms of how much damage they deal but rather what situations suit their dealing said damage.

Titan Striker: with its Shoulder Charge and charging AoE Super, this is a class to be played aggressively. They have grenades which create "kill zones" enemies need to just move out of or die in. Dangerous when panicked. Not too useful for most PvE situations except for Flashbang Grenade's blinding capabilities (blind Omnigul and she's so docile).

Titan Defender: sadly its abilities don't shine in PvP but are top-tier in PvE. A sticky magnetic grenade deals a ton of damage - enough to kill in Crucible or tear away avoid shields + a lot of damage in PvE. No offensive option for Super. The bubble can give you Weapons of Light though which makes any high impact sniper a 1 body shot kill.

Hunter Bladedancer: Ultra useless super in PvE, best super in PvP. Such is life. This class has perks that really make it amazing for Crucible like Quick Draw (switch weapons and ADS more quickly, best freaking perk in the game) or super-strong backstab. For PvE you really only use BD for its invisibility. Going invis can make a risky revive possible. The super is useless outside of Crucible.

Hunter Gunslinger: this is a gentleman's class. Encourages precision killing with its perks and has a freaking fire knife you can throw. Golden Gun is great in Rucible but underwhelming in PvE. A Golden Gun shot won't kill a Major (yellow bar enemy). Often, even 3 shots won't do it :p but Hunter grenades and melee are useful everywhere.

Warlock void walker: his melee has crazy range and gives you health back or turns you into speedy Gonzalez. His grenades will track you down and kill you dead. He blinks. His space magic will blow you and your teammate the hell up. Really good offensive class, with some freakingn amazing Exotic armor options that totally make you more deadly.

Warlock Sunsinger: the bringers of cheese. Unlike a Defender, they don't even have to kill you with a melee to give then an overshield. They never lose boxing matches. Their fusion grenades stick and deal ridiculous damage. Don't feel like aiming? fire bolt grenade sets neighborhoods on fire. Want it to burn harder because fuck everyone? Viking + Touch of Flame. Used defensively their Super literally brigs you back from the dead. But only scrubs do this in normal Crucible. Pack Radiant Skin to be Superman and pop your Super while alive, then go deliver death. Your melee hits will one shot and you'll have enough grenades to kill everyone and everything in and out of sight. All of this sounds cool? It is. Sadly, their jump is more awkward than a dog competing for Olympic gymnastics, making this otherwise amazing class a trash-tier horror to be avoided. No jump means no love from me.

All of this sounds cool? It is. Sadly, their jump is more awkward than a dog competing for Olympic gymnastics, making this otherwise amazing class a trash-tier horror to be avoided. No jump means no love from me.

The jump really is that shit lol. It fucks up everything else.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow so apparently if the conversations in a Gaming Community thread stop majorly being about the game in question, and instead turn into a discussion about other stuff among the regulars, then that Thread can be moved into the Off-Topic Community Section.
Looks like this recently happened to the Halo OT.

Seems like we are mostly focused on the Destiny talk so no danger of this happening to us at present I guess.
It's hard when you have such a large community. People just like to chat with others. I know I do.

Also wasn't there other issues with the Halo OT about not being very welcoming to new people or something?

Its not the first time the Halo OT has visited the Off-topic section. Happened awhile ago too.
Wait what...? Off-Topic?

Yikes
ModBot said:
Even before this move, the Halo OT's have spun further and further off topic and become too much of a chatroom to serve their intended purpose. When Halo 5 arrives there will be an OT dedicated to that game, but there is no longer a need for a general purpose Halo thread on GAF given the history of the community. Apt thread title.
well damn. Now there... is no HaloGAF community thread? That sort of sucks... At first I thought it seemed totally unnecessary, but I guess based on the last few page of that thread it would be more appropriate for them to have an Off-Topic thread simply based on being the community of people that belong to it (rather than the game), similar to what we did with the RealGAF thread following the initial real pic January.

Still, I'll be even more conscious of veering into off-topic conversation from now on, I guess.
Jason and Kirk are going to join us on the mythocast this Sunday. I don't have a time yet, but Sunday for sure. Get hype.
Let me know via PM or PSN when it's gonna be. If it's after ~4PM EST I can be there.
For PvE you really only use BD for its invisibility. Going invis can make a risky revive possible. The super is useless outside of Crucible.
The super can give you invisibility. There's no need to go spreading lies now. ^_^

Finally, still 3 spots left for the Newbie VoG tomorrow.

--

Thursday, 7/9/15 - 9:00PM EST - Vault of Glass - Normal - Sign Up Here (3 spots left)

These are weekly raids available to all, but intended for newbies. Bring your highest leveled character, your best weapon, and your most patient self! All encounters will be explained (quickly, but still) as though it was a brand new group, so please be willing to listen. The only restriction on attendance is that participants shouldn't come two weeks in row, just to allow many different GAF Guardians to cycle through. There is no pressure to understand anything before having it explained, and no pointing fingers when things break down. We will laugh at ourselves when we wipe, and then do better the next attempt.

We alternate each week between VoG and CE. During Crota's End newbie raids, participants are welcome to try out the Sword against Crota if desired, but no one is required to do so. Instructions will follow upon reaching the Crota checkpoint.

Minimum level for Vault of Glass Normal is 26.
Minimum level for Crota's End is 29/31 for running the sword.

New to this and just got to level 20 (+22) yesterday and was wondering what the best way is to proceed now that I'm level 20? Do I just do the raids? Is it worth me returning to planets to patrol them?

You'll want to get marks so you can buy vendor gear. You're not a high enough level yet to do any of the raids. 23 is minimum for VoG Normal, but at that level you're not gonna be very effective. Try to get to 25 before attempting it or you might have a bad experience where you're dead the majority of the time. Ruth is doing a newbie raid on Sunday(?), so sign up for that.

Edit: Check here. Looks like it's just sometime this weekend.

Thanks fig :)

JP are you on PS4? If yes, you can join the newbie raid planned for this weekend.

Or join Hakian's raid tomorrow, though you'll need to level up quick

Hunter Bladedancer: Ultra useless super in PvE.

What? Being able to go invisible at the press of a button makes it super useful, especially when invisibility is Bladedancer's best perk for PvE. The super itself is good for trash mobs.
Hunter Gunslinger: this is a gentleman's class. Encourages precision killing with its perks and has a freaking fire knife you can throw. Golden Gun is great in Rucible but underwhelming in PvE. A Golden Gun shot won't kill a Major (yellow bar enemy). Often, even 3 shots won't do it :p but Hunter grenades and melee are useful everywhere.

Golden gun one-shots Fanatics in VoG, which are yellow bar enemies. 4 shots and combustion will take out a bunch at a time. It won't take out a Praetorian, but Strikers and Voidwalkers can't always kill with one hit either.

ocean

Banned
What? Being able to go invisible at the press of a button makes it super useful, especially when invisibility is Bladedancer's best perk for PvE. The super itself is good for trash mobs.

Golden gun one-shots Fanatics in VoG, which are yellow bar enemies. 4 shots and combustion will take out a bunch at a time. It won't take out a Praetorian, but Strikers and Voidwalkers can't always kill with one hit either.
Fanatics don't count, you can one shot them with a Hand Cannon too :p but yeah, I think the main point was that Supers in general don't do too much damage on PvE. Titan Smash, Nova Bomb, it's all fairly underwhelming. Super for invisibility is clutch, I should have been clearer there. I meant useless in terms of very little damage dealt and super poor orb generation.

Is it sad I want to call in sick so I can grind my Warlock...

I just played 3 PvP matches, control. I'm super handicapped with crappy guns. No match vs thorns and matadors/felwinters. Even my green sniper can't OHK with a headshot haha. But it's making me work extra hard with these weapons. Can't wait to use my main TLW / HB.

Level 9.75 now... It's on

I had to switch to void Walker because radiance isn't doing anything for me and I just unlocked nova bomb. Can't wait

rolled a judgement s chance this morning and got Shadow of the Viels. I now have all the POE guns except the fusion rifle.

I have all the CE guns except the fusion rifle
I have all the VOG guns except the fusion rifle

I dont know if this is funny or sad. But this game refuses to give me fusion rifles. Except in nightfalls where the game thinks its funny to give me crappy legendary fusion rifle after fusion rifle. I dont even like them.

rolled a judgement s chance this morning and got Shadow of the Viels. I now have all the POE guns except the fusion rifle.

I dont know if this is funny or sad. But this game refuses to give me fusion rifles. Except in nightfalls where the game thinks its funny to give me crappy legendary fusion rifle after fusion rifle. I dont even like them.

Foil is the only one worth keeping, the CE FR is trash.

I thought Variks sold Servant of Aksor a few weeks ago?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I love Servant of Aksor and Light of the Abyss. I use them both regularly, wish one or the other was Void though.

I'd use the shit out of the Praetorian Foil too but it only drops for people who don't care about it. :(
Foil is the only one worth keeping, the CE FR is trash.

I thought Variks sold Servant of Aksor a few weeks ago?
Completely ludicrous. It does some of the most damage of any quick charge fusion and using Skip Rounds + Hip Fire is an absolute blast

Yeah.... We got junked to the Off Topic section, and then locked out entirely. HaloGaf is dad
long live Halo 5 OT soon

I dont understand this. I thinks its pretty natural for a COMMUNITY that has grown accustomed to each other and become friends to have non-game friendly conversations with each other. It doesn't stop people talking about the game. It was all we had after bloodbourne released and Destiny OT was on life support.

Lnkn52

The Gaming thread of "Destiny: The Hardcore Gamer's Slot Machine - The Point" is getting ridiculous. So now, if you play Destiny, you are considered a dopamine, crack addict?

ocean

Banned
As a filthy Xbone player and as hyped as I am for TTK, I'm still more hyped for Hawkmoon. :3
TLW is awesome but doesn't really feel like a Hand Cannon. And while Thorn is super effective, there's a certain jank to its feel. Hawkmoon is the most satisfying to shoot weapon in the game for me.

It has that sweet spot Fatebringer-level RoF, but hits for Ill Will/Timur's Lash damage. Recoil is extremely easy to predict and correct for. Best sights in the game, getting head shots is a breeze. And then those 2-shots...

Fanatics don't count, you can one shot them with a Hand Cannon too :p but yeah, I think the main point was that Supers in general don't do too much damage on PvE. Titan Smash, Nova Bomb, it's all fairly underwhelming. Super for invisibility is clutch, I should have been clearer there. I meant useless in terms of very little damage dealt and super poor orb generation.

You can one-shot nearly all yellow bar enemies with Golden Gun that aren't the the Praetorian/Captain/Ogre/Colossus type. Depends entirely on what level they are and whether it's a NF or not.

noomi

TLW is awesome but doesn't really feel like a Hand Cannon. And while Thorn is super effective, there's a certain jank to its feel. Hawkmoon is the most satisfying to shoot weapon in the game for me.

It has that sweet spot Fatebringer-level RoF, but hits for Ill Will/Timur's Lash damage. Recoil is extremely easy to predict and correct for. Best sights in the game, getting head shots is a breeze. And then those 2-shots...

TLW for life!

I can't use anything else in PvP

Can you post your availability for the newbie raid, day and time? Thanks.

Fridays: 18:00 to 1:00
Saturdays: 15:00 to 3:00
Sundays: 17:00 to 21:00

GMT+1, unless something takes priority (I don't exaclty have a great social life, so it always takes full priority.

Midweek I can't promise. Right now I am so tired that I am blacking out with the gamepad slipping of my hands. Just did the lvl 26 heroic strike and I barely knew what I was doing. Midweek is a problem between time available and being too tired after work.

Frenden

Banned
After playing as a Titan for an extended period to practice skating, all the other classes feel so slow.

Titans are going from my least played class to my most.

noomi

Let us all join the WishYouLuck movement and switch over to Pulse Rifles. Let's fix the Meta...

Sure, I'm down. I can work with the red death and messenger if needed ;)

Just going to take a little while to get used to them again.

The Gaming thread of "Destiny: The Hardcore Gamer's Slot Machine - The Point" is getting ridiculous. So now, if you play Destiny, you are considered a dopamine, crack addict?

I actually liked that editorial. thought it was very insightful. Am I addicted to Destiny? probably. But I dont think its a problem. Its never interfered with real life for me. Its not like I call in sick to work to play or let my kids go hungry. It has saved me a couple hundred $$ over the last year though on games I would have bought on launch day but didn't.

I love Servant of Aksor and Light of the Abyss. I use them both regularly, wish one or the other was Void though.

I'd use the shit out of the Praetorian Foil too but it only drops for people who don't care about it. :(

It dropped for me and I cared. Haven't really used it though.....

Lnkn52

I actually liked that editorial. thought it was very insightful. Am I addicted to Destiny? probably. But I dont think its a problem. Its never interfered with real life for me. Its not like I call in sick to work to play or let my kids go hungry. It has saved me a couple hundred $$ over the last year though on games I would have bought on launch day but didn't.

I thought so to. But to say that Destiny is the ONLY game at fault on hooking it's players is kinda BS. And who's to say that no one else is going to follow suit. Look at The Division.

Fridays: 18:00 to 1:00
Saturdays: 15:00 to 3:00
Sundays: 17:00 to 21:00

GMT+1, unless something takes priority (I don't exaclty have a great social life, so it always takes full priority.

Midweek I can't promise. Right now I am so tired that I am blacking out with the gamepad slipping of my hands. Just did the lvl 26 heroic strike and I barely knew what I was doing. Midweek is a problem between time available and being too tired after work.

You sound like you need a nap.
Oh wait. We didn't faced a gaffer. They ended being matchmade to our team.

That happened to me and Todd once when we were playing Skirmish. Thankfully, we won.

noomi

You can one-shot nearly all yellow bar enemies with Golden Gun that aren't the the Praetorian/Captain/Ogre/Colossus type. Depends entirely on what level they are and whether it's a NF or not.

I still feel like the golden gun is a little weak in PvE, and we all know that the bladedancer super is nearly useless in PvE.

The only reason I ever really use the bladedancer super in PvE is to be able to force invis for a while longer, but as far as damage goes.... it sucks :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom