• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iberaider

Neo Member
I really hope Vault of Glass and Crota's End are worth it, because... I'm starting to dread every time I have to repeat a strike with just bigger numbers of enemies, walk all over the same places again, kill the same enemies again, repeat the same mechanics against bullet esponges.

Most flaws the people blame the game for, I can give them a pass, but the "Rinse and repeat with more bullets" its getting to my nerves. During the House of Wolves sidestory I had to resist the urges of shutting down the console and throwing the disc through the window. Playing with randoms does not make thing betters and I feel like all the loot is the same thing. In fact, I have more fun observing the tactics from other players in Clash.

I miss my 360. And Halo. The story has never felt more like a joke with the expansions. Particularlly WTF moment when you get to that time when you need dinklebot to hack into something during the expansions but it will remain silent, xD.

Yep, I am all burned, and yet I keep playing, even if I don't care about loot or reaching... How the heck can you keep playing this daily?

It's very much MMO syndrome. Being a former WoW player I'm used to grinding through the same content over and over just to get that one item that I wanted. Same with Destiny, I'll happily run through PoE, Strikes and Raids over and over to get Gjallarhorn XD

I was finally going to take my level 30 Hunter and ask NeoGaf for assistance in attempting Vault of Glass. Turned it on to s the maintenance notice. Have to wait till tomorrow!

Add me with a comment re: Vault of Glass/NeoGaf and we'll get this show on the road tomorrow night.

my god, you still play strikes ? I only do Nightfall each week, thats it. I did the weekly this week as it only took 5 minutes with solar burn lol, but normally dont bother.

Do the bounties, do them clever so you complete multiple ones at same time, level up your vanguard and buy gear. Play crucible with bounties and level up the vendor that sells Intellect and discipline gear...buy what you need.

Then do as everyone else, raids, POE (maybe), crucible and TOO.

I still haven't even touched the Dragon Playslist, and I kinda jumped in this weekly heroic because it was one of the fastest (And I am low on strange coins). If I see Omnigul or Dust Palace again... Ugh. Yesterday I did The Shadow Thief as part of the HoW Storyline. The only things I haven't seen are are the Raids, Prison and... You don't want me in Trials, trust me.

I am at Vanguard Level 3, having bought 3/4 of my armor from them. Just missing a helmet (using an Exotic from Xur instead). An obviously every other rep but crypto at zero (maybe there is a 1 for Crota's Bane?)

Obtaining an Item as a reason for playing? Not sure if I have treated a game like that since getting the gatling gun in Resident Evil 2.

ocean

Banned
I still haven't even touched the Dragon Playslist, and I kinda jumped in this weekly heroic because it was one of the fastest (And I am low on strange coins). If I see Omnigul or Dust Palace again... Ugh. Yesterday I did The Shadow Thief as part of the HoW Storyline. The only things I haven't seen are are the Raids, Prison and... You don't want me in Trials, trust me.

I am at Vanguard Level 3, having bought 3/4 of my armor from them. Just missing a helmet (using an Exotic from Xur instead). An obviously every other rep but crypto at zero (maybe there is a 1 for Crota's Bane?)

Obtaining an Item as a reason
Took the liberty of checking out your profile.

Vanguard rank 3 is nice, congrats! You got through the worst of the grind. As a level 32 you can now basically run anything except Skolas. Some tips:

Run the Weekly Heroic at a higher difficulty! You've only cleared it at level 26 this week. Level 32 gives you 9 Strange Coins (it'll only be 6 for you since you already got 3 from the lvl26). It's also worth 400 rep if you do it before the Nightfall. Which brings me to my next point.

Do the NF! This one is tricky because it doesn't have matchmaking but I'm sure you can find a group here. If you're shy, I can run it with you, no mics, sometime this evening. Nightfall gives you 500 rep and buffs all XP/rep gains for the rest of the week (until Tursday reset) by 25%. So if you do NF first and then the Weekly Heroic, they'll be worth 500 rep each. This alone is reason enough to do it. As a bonus, the rewards for NF can range from disappointing to amazing. But doing it every week is probably the best way to start gearing up and getting new stuff.

Break the Strike monotony with some Prison of Elders. Level 28 has matchmaking and gives you basically the same rewards as a Strike from the Dragon playlist. Still gets you Vanguard Marks and Rep but also acces to Queen's loot which is pretty good on average and top tier in some cases (Sniper and Rocket Launcher)

Finally, Crucible. Your stats are less than stellar but could be worse. Experience goes a long way, and so do weapons. Without an Exotic Hand Cannon or top tier Pulse Rifle and a bullshit-range shotgun, you're at a big disadvantage. But win or lose, Crucible has the chance to drop some amazing stuff like Party Crasher, Low Grade Humility, Ash Factory... Also, earning Crucible marks opens the path for Vendor weapons like the great Red Hand IX, Judgment VI, Exodus Plan etc if you ever decide to level up the other factions. But don't bother if it's something you don't enjoy.

ocean

Banned
Tips on Skolas this week?
Just respect the boss. Run like hell when you see him. You may think you can kill him, but you can't. He will cut you and you will die. Skolas is just a punk btw. When I mention the boss I mean this guy:

Captain.png

Melee Captains teleport. Small Arms means your shotgun will tickle him. Being a major makes him a sponge. And Lightswitch means his shot will one you, so to speak.

Understand that Melee Captains are the only real threat and treat them accordingly. Don't challenge, just run. Do this and the whole fight is kinda long and tedious but almost trivially easy.

Kyoufu

Just respect the boss. Run like hell when you see him. You may think you can kill him, but you can't. He will cut you and you will die. Skolas is just a punk btw. When I mention the boss I mean this guy:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130510122813/destinypedia/images/a/a9/Captain.png

Melee Captains teleport. Small Arms means your shotgun will tickle him. Being a major makes him a sponge. And Lightswitch means his shot will one you, so to speak.

Understand that Melee Captains are the only real threat and treat them accordingly. Don't challenge, just run. Do this and the whole fight is kinda long and tedious but almost trivially easy.

So we shouldn't bother killing captains? Or do we run to the other side and take them out from there?

Was there a stealth nerf to faction packages? I know they have crap in them 99% of the time....but my last 6 have all been 1-2 motes and I got one weapon.....fix this, please, Bungie. Just let us buy the ships and shaders, please ._.

Took the liberty of checking out your profile.

Vanguard rank 3 is nice, congrats! You got through the worst of the grind. As a level 32 you can now basically run anything except Skolas. Some tips:

Run the Weekly Heroic at a higher difficulty! You've only cleared it at level 26 this week. Level 32 gives you 9 Strange Coins (it'll only be 6 for you since you already got 3 from the lvl26). It's also worth 400 rep if you do it before the Nightfall. Which brings me to my next point.

Do the NF! This one is tricky because it doesn't have matchmaking but I'm sure you can find a group here. If you're shy, I can run it with you, no mics, sometime this evening. Nightfall gives you 500 rep and buffs all XP/rep gains for the rest of the week (until Tursday reset) by 25%. So if you do NF first and then the Weekly Heroic, they'll be worth 500 rep each. This alone is reason enough to do it. As a bonus, the rewards for NF can range from disappointing to amazing. But doing it every week is probably the best way to start gearing up and getting new stuff.

Break the Strike monotony with some Prison of Elders. Level 28 has matchmaking and gives you basically the same rewards as a Strike from the Dragon playlist. Still gets you Vanguard Marks and Rep but also acces to Queen's loot which is pretty good on average and top tier in some cases (Sniper and Rocket Launcher)

Finally, Crucible. Your stats are less than stellar but could be worse. Experience goes a long way, and so do weapons. Without an Exotic Hand Cannon or top tier Pulse Rifle and a bullshit-range shotgun, you're at a big disadvantage. But win or lose, Crucible has the chance to drop some amazing stuff like Party Crasher, Low Grade Humility, Ash Factory... Also, earning Crucible marks opens the path for Vendor weapons like the great Red Hand IX, Judgment VI, Exodus Plan etc if you ever decide to level up the other factions. But don't bother if it's something you don't enjoy.

My previous message got cut (or I forgot to finish). "Obtaining an Item as a reason for playing? Not sure if I have treated a game like that since getting the gatling gun in Resident Evil 2."

I've been trying to at least learn to play with a hand cannon in crucible, as right now I will go for the distance with the scout rifle (unless I go kamikaze with the shotgun). I got a Low Grade Humility sniper rifle yesterday along with a Spare Change.25 Pulse Rifle. Not sure if great but a bit better than what I had. The Pest control Matrix was rubbish since it had that upgrade that reduced firing speed when aiming in the middle.

I though weaponry did not matter a lot in on Iron Banner PvP, or at least only the weapon perks mattered. i still need to research on what balancing changes are made ("level advantages disabled"?).

Regarding the Vanguard Rank 3, I wasn't even trying. I got it as a side effect of farming marks and doing bounties at the same time.

I was finally going to take my level 30 Hunter and ask NeoGaf for assistance in attempting Vault of Glass. Turned it on to s the maintenance notice. Have to wait till tomorrow!

Add me with a comment re: Vault of Glass/NeoGaf and we'll get this show on the road tomorrow night.

Hehe, there's a few of us now in here...

Found a newbie for you DeathJr.

Why am I still around? smh

BokehKing

Banned
A friend of mine got the gjallarhorn in the crucible yesterday, totally unaware of the rarity or difficulty some people go through to get it. He has only been playing Destiny a little over a month... I tried to explain to him it's the most sought after gun.... And he is just clueless. Sending him gjallarhorn drop videos and people's reactions. He is just like "cool"

Then again he also thinks auto rifles are the best guns to use and I think he gets a little offended when I tell him to stop using them. Tell him to pick up a scout rifle. He got carried through on crota, got fang of ir'yut and acted disappointed at the drop.

Idk.. I called him stupid and that was that. Over time he will realize his auto rifles are no match for the strong pve weapons he has once he learns the game more

A friend of mine got the gjallarhorn in the crucible yesterday, totally unaware of the rarity or difficulty some people go through to get it. He has only been playing Destiny a little over a month... I tried to explain to him it's the most sought after gun.... And he is just clueless. Sending him gjallarhorn drop videos and people's reactions. He is just like "cool"

That would be pretty much my reaction too, to be honest. I'm more interested in finding a Thorn to see what makes people so pissed off about it.

ocean

Banned

Then again he also thinks auto rifles are the best guns to use and I think he gets a little offended when I tell him to stop using them. Tell him to pick up a scout rifle. He got carried through on crota, got fang of ir'yut and acted disappointed at the drop.

Idk.. I called him stupid and that was that. Over time he will realize his auto rifles are no match for the strong pve weapons he has once he learns the game more
Some load outs are sub optimal but people have fun with different things.

See: Rodiard and No Land Beyond
See: Nami and Necro

Some people enjoy Fusion Rifles like Hawkian. He knows full well that shotguns or snipers will generally be a "better" choice but Destiny isn't demanding enough to require the optimal weapon type to be used for anything really. You have the flexibility of running stuff with whatever you find more fun. Even if that's (lol) auto rifles.

nOoblet16

Outside of crucible you won't really feel the disadvantage of using those other weapon class that significantly. Sure auto rifles will take longer to kill than a handcanon but they've always been like that and it's been there case even pre nerf.

The one exception to this being shotguns which were buffed by 200% and as such became a killing machine in PvE and much much better than fusion rifles, while before they used to be terrible as you would always get hit badly if you went up close to an enemy to use a shotgun as they would take a lot more bullets to kill.

Shito

Outside of crucible you won't really feel the disadvantage of using those other weapon class that significantly. Sure auto rifles will take longer to kill than a handcanon but they've always been like that and it's been there case even pre nerf.
I disagree: tried to use Atheon's Epilogue in patrol the other day, so as to level it up, and it took me FOREVER to kill random dregs and vandals. Even in PVE auto rifles went to shit, and you're at a disadvantage using them in high end content where DPS does matter when dealing with a zillion adds.

I disagree: tried to use Atheon's Epilogue in patrol the other day, so as to level it up, and it took me FOREVER to kill random dregs and vandals. Even in PVE auto rifles went to shit, and you're at a disadvantage using them in high end content where DPS does matter when dealing with a zillion adds.

Levelling husk of the pit, never again.

BokehKing

Banned
That would be pretty much my reaction too, to be honest. I'm more interested in finding a Thorn to see what makes people so pissed off about it.
You don't find a Thorne you earn it through a series of quests.

It has damage over time, so you're constantly losing health, like you're poisoned

BokehKing

Banned
I guess what I'm trying to just make him a smarter player and full auto spray and pay is not always the answer. Neither is trying to blade dance a bunch of yellow bar minotaur.

Baby steps for him (and my patience lol)

noomi

Good morning DGAF!

Started using the Hawkmoon in crucible last night after being completely exclusive to The Last Word for a few weeks. I love this weapon <3

Also, great job on the year 2 pic nami, well done!

Neither is trying to blade dance a bunch of yellow bar minotaur.

Baby steps for him (and my patience lol)

Heh. Until three days ago I did not start taking seriously the elemental damages for removing shields and being equipped for nearly everything without having to swap weapons in the menu. I'd try to kill minotaurs on short range with the shotgun. Worked at first, obviously not on harder levels.

Wizards are still my nightmare, specially when I become obsessed with discharging the mag on them before the shield regens and don't notice they have casted a vestige right under my feet (On story missions, I don't know if they can do that on strikes and raids too).

kiguel182

So, I need some weapon advice.

Since coming back to the game and discovering that Assault Rifles are a big no-no I changed up to a Surus JPS-55 and it has been okay but recently I had a drop of a Spare Change.25 and alt ought it is purple and has more damage somehow I don't know if it's better looking at the upgrade tree. So I ask, what should I use?

Hyun Sai

Captain.png

Heeh, I don't think Captains on Skolas stage are "majors" (if you meant "yellow bar" of course).

They are not "spongie", but it doesn't make what you say any less true anyway lol.

Almost enough to stage a takeover.

That's gross.

Hehe, there's enough for a full fireteam. We can finally all have green bars!

Found a newbie for you DeathJr.

Why am I still around? smh

Thanks rawr. Go to bed.

Wizards are still my nightmare, specially when I become obsessed with discharging the mag on them before the shield regens and don't notice they have casted a vestige right under my feet (On story missions, I don't know if they can do that on strikes and raids too).

Those wizards are only found in TDB story missions, nowhere else. A decent solar sniper/shotgun wrecks them pretty good.

I'm also a VoG newbie if we are trying to make a group!

Hey, we have a newbie/first timer raid planned for Saturday/Sunday. You're more than welcome to join us.

Just let me know your availability, and send a FR to me on PSN: ruthlesbarbarian

noomi

So, I need some weapon advice.

Since coming back to the game and discovering that Assault Rifles are a big no-no I changed up to a Surus JPS-55 and it has been okay but recently I had a drop of a Spare Change.25 and alt ought it is purple and has more damage somehow I don't know if it's better looking at the upgrade tree. So I ask, what should I use?

You are certainly correct about auto rifles, they are complete poo right now and you should not use them :(

I assume you are talking about pvp here, so here are some weapons that are still good and will make you competitive in crucible.

Primaries:
- Any Exotic Hand Cannon
- Red Death, Messenger, Hopscotch Pilgrim
- Scholar, Mida, Vision of Confluence, Dead Shot Luna
- Vex Mythoclast... on certain maps though

Special:
- Matador, Party Crasher, Felwinters Lie, Judgement
- Her Benevolence, Shadow of Veils, Ice Breaker, Eye of Sol, LDR, Spear

Heavy:
- Tomorrows Answer, Ash Factory, Radegast Fury
- BTRD, Thunderlord, Jolders Hammer

4 hours on a poe 35 with nothing to show for it. :/ Feels bad.

Oh man... I've had those days. This week is especially hard because there is a lightswitch modifier :(

kiguel182

Hey, we have a newbie/first timer raid planned for Saturday/Sunday. You're more than welcome to join us.

Just let me know your availability, and send a FR to me on PSN: ruthlesbarbarian

I am into that for sure.

But I'm in the EU so I don't know what hours you are planning.

If everyone is US I would say your Sunday afternoon would be the best time for me. (would be Sunday night here)

I am into that for sure.

But I'm in the EU so I don't know what hours you are planning.

If everyone is US I would say your Sunday afternoon would be the best time for me. (would be Sunday night here)

So far we only have 1 or 2 from US, 1 from EU and 2 from AU, so don't worry about timezones.

I'll put you down as the 6th raider. We'll hopefully finalize the exact time by later today or tomorrow.

What's your PSN id? Is Saturday evening/night good for you?

Nighte

Will the newbie raid be streamed? <3
I have only done VoG once, but I envy everybody who get to go and experience the raid without any mentoring underway :)
I did hardmode(first VoG run ever) first time this week and died several times due to not knowing this and that... :)

Will the newbie raid be streamed? <3
I have only done VoG once, but I envy everybody who get to go and experience the raid without any mentoring underway :)
I did hardmode(first VoG run ever) first time this week and died several times due to not knowing this and that... :)

I don't have a capture card but I can try streaming via PS4, never done it before though.

Our Australian internet isn't fast enough to support that much upload bandwidth, we have terrible upload speeds :(

If anyone else from the team wants to stream they can go ahead.

You can sign up for Hawkian's newbie raid for tomorrow if there is still a spot available. Else, just post here when you're looking to raid, it's pretty easy to find a group :)

Hey, that'd be great. I'm going to a baseball game that evening but if I'm around I can throw in, if I miss the raid I can crush skulls in crucible. I picked Destiny back up after completing Bloodborne and wanted to finally get the full experience. Even contemplating pulling the trigger on House of Wolves and Dark Below while on sale.

PSN: Cedricknave (Have mic, will shoot.)

ocean

Banned
You are certainly correct about auto rifles, they are complete poo right now and you should not use them :(

I assume you are talking about pvp here, so here are some weapons that are still good and will make you competitive in crucible.

Primaries:
- Any Exotic Hand Cannon
- Red Death, Messenger, Hopscotch Pilgrim
- Scholar, Mida, Vision of Confluence, Dead Shot Luna
- Vex Mythoclast... on certain maps though

Special:
- Matador, Party Crasher, Felwinters Lie, Judgement
- Her Benevolence, Shadow of Veils, Ice Breaker, Eye of Sol, LDR, Spear

Heavy:
- Tomorrows Answer, Ash Factory, Radegast Fury
- BTRD, Thunderlord, Jolders Hammer

Oh man... I've had those days. This week is especially hard because there is a lightswitch modifier :(
Great answers. However, most of this stuff is pretty hard to get for a new player unless they get lucky or just grind a lot. We've been playing for ages so we've picked it all up. Ignoring Exotic options or randomly dropped stuff, I'll suggest you level up New Monarchy. This will let you purchase stuff which is super good and doesn't depend on getting lucky to obtain. Sure, they're a level below the god-tier posted above but for the most part these will do the trick :)

If you're starting from zero, here are some easily obtainable options for your load out:

Primary: Get a nice Hand Cannon from one of the Vendors. Sadly, Auto Rifles suck ass and Scout Rifles are generally not the safest bet for PvP. While pulse rifles are super competitive, there are no high impact variants on sale that I'm aware of. Buy a Hand Cannon from the vendor of your choice. New Monarchy's Red Hand IX is a fantastic choice.

Secondary: Fusion Rifles are in a tricky spot. While Snipers are amazingly cool, the current meta in the game strongly favors Shotgun play. Some amazing stuff drops randomly from Crucible, but since we're sticking to vendor stuff I'd suggest you try out New Monarchy's Judgment VI. Try and re roll it for Shot Package and a range boost like Rifled Barrel. If you also happen to get Aggressive Ballistics, you have a top tier shotgun. If on top of that you get Kneepads as the second perk, you have a competitive-level shotgun roll.

Heavy: Tricky position. None of the current vendor options are super amazing. Dead Orbit sells a perfectly decent Rocket Launcher though, which comes with Tripod+Proximity Detonation right off the bat. Really solid option while you wait for an Ash Factory or Tomorrow's Answer or something. However, you may not have Dead Orbit at rank 3. Since my previous 2 options were from New Monarchy, I guess I could point towards the Admonisher RL New Monarchy sells. It's got max blast radius, it's a beast. You can re roll for Javelin, Tripod and Grenades & Horseshoes. Note: it'll still be uber low velocity, but it'll definitely be good enough to hold you over until you get a top tier launcher.

kiguel182

So far we only have 1 or 2 from US, 1 from EU and 2 from AU, so don't worry about timezones.

I'll put you down as the 6th raider. We'll hopefully finalize the exact time by later today or tomorrow.

What's your PSN id?

Cool, the time I can for sure would be Sunday night GMT then. Saturday night I can't and the other times I would be up for it but since VoG can take some time I wouldn't want to risk it.

But you can put me on then, my PSN is kiguel183

noomi

The final round of mines with the essence thing and adds everywhere got us everytime.

Yep! It's all about that add management though and doing damage to Skolas in increments.

What my team would do is get him to about 30% health (mines spawn on 25%) clear out all the adds. Then just ghorn the shit out of Skolas, this way when he dies all the adds and essence disappear, and then all you have to worry about is that last set of mines with no problems ;)

Hey, that'd be great. I'm going to a baseball game that evening but if I'm around I can throw in, if I miss the raid I can crush skulls in crucible. I picked Destiny back up after completing Bloodborne and wanted to finally get the full experience. Even contemplating pulling the trigger on House of Wolves and Dark Below while on sale.

PSN: Cedricknave (Have mic, will shoot.)

We have 6 for now but I'll keep you as an alt in case anyone drops out or can't make it.

You can also try joining Hawkian's newbie raid planned for tomorrow.

and if there are more newbies/first timers, I think Drizzay would be happy to get another group going for the weekend...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom