• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOoblet16

I disagree: tried to use Atheon's Epilogue in patrol the other day, so as to level it up, and it took me FOREVER to kill random dregs and vandals. Even in PVE auto rifles went to shit, and you're at a disadvantage using them in high end content where DPS does matter when dealing with a zillion adds.

But that gun always took forever to kill....a high RoF/low impact weapon was never an ideal DPS weapon anyway.
If you compare the DPS to handcanon then it's going to be low as it has alyways been like that...no?

Pat_DC

Ok, been trying the thorn bounty crucible part. I have gone against all advice and ended up playing rumble, I find it a lot easier to control zones and go for the special ammo pick ups, which when picked up can lead to going on a roll. I'm at about 160/500 so ok so far.
Only thing is if someone else gets control of the special/heavy ammo it can lead to them dominating and once I run out of shotgun ammo I've forgotten how to aim properly :) Also sometimes I'll die because of instead of finishing someone with a melee I try and go for the shotgun kill, bah! Void damage machine gun also does work if I manage to pick up heavy ammo.

Anyway I feel like a right bastard playing this way, just controlling one area/corners/looking at the radar and playing with nothing but shotgun.

kiguel182

We have 6 for now but I'll keep you as an alt in case anyone drops out or can't make it.

You can also try joining Hawkian's newbie raid planned for tomorrow.

and if there are more newbies/first timers, I think Drizzay would be happy to get another group going for the weekend...

I just saw your full post and if you guys are open to it I can do Friday night too probably.

So Friday night/Sunday night GMT for me :)

Namikaze1

Some load outs are sub optimal but people have fun with different things.

See: Rodiard and No Land Beyond
See: Nami and Necro

Some people enjoy Fusion Rifles like Hawkian. He knows full well that shotguns or snipers will generally be a "better" choice but Destiny isn't demanding enough to require the optimal weapon type to be used for anything really. You have the flexibility of running stuff with whatever you find more fun. Even if that's (lol) auto rifles.
I do it for shits and giggles. You wouldn't catch me using it in Curcible or serious raid runs unless we all decide to fuck around with our favorite "worst" weapons.

I just had a brilliant idea. We should do a Favorite "Worst" Weapon raid run. You can only use that weapon and only that weapon. I'll bring Necro, y'all bring whatever you want.

noomi

Ok, been trying the thorn bounty crucible part. I have gone against all advice and ended up playing rumble, I find it a lot easier to control zones and go for the special ammo pick ups, which when picked up can lead to going on a roll. I'm at about 160/500 so ok so far.
Only thing is if someone else gets control of the special/heavy ammo it can lead to them dominating and once I run out of shotgun ammo I've forgotten how to aim properly :) Also sometimes I'll die because of instead of finishing someone with a melee I try and go for the shotgun kill, bah! Void damage machine gun also does work if I manage to pick up heavy ammo.

Anyway I feel like a right bastard playing this way, just controlling one area/corners/looking at the radar and playing with nothing but shotgun.

The thorn bounty is definitely the most challenging and rewarding experience in Destiny in my opinion. You're going about it the right way, just keep at it and you'll have it done in no time :)

I remember doing my bounty, and then only option was to use Atheons Epilogue with a rare void shotgun, took me about 2 days of serious crucible to get it done....also one story mission you have to do on the moon is no joke.... probably much easier now though :p

Awesome info here as well, listen to this man! He knows what he's talking about!

I just had a brilliant idea. We should do a Favorite "Worst" Weapon raid run. You can only use that weapon and only that weapon. I'll bring Necro, y'all bring whatever you want.

I'll bring the hard light or monte carlo... those weapons are pretty bad these days :(

Hey, we have a newbie/first timer raid planned for Saturday/Sunday. You're more than welcome to join us.

Just let me know your availability, and send a FR to me on PSN: ruthlesbarbarian

Not to self: Stockpile on Monster (Because fudge Redbull), do all grocery shopping on friday ASAP, keep gamepad charged. I may need to be up really late during the weekend, but unless things get very "personal" (dating somebody right now, sucks to lose time from gaming), Completing VoG takes priority.

Although if it happens really really late (as in around 5:00 AM GMT+1), chances are my character will stop moving and snores can be heard over the mic. Not even energy drinks can keep me awake beyond a point.

I guess the one thing I like about Destiny is being able to play in short bursts... Except for the damn raids.

ocean

Banned
Next Iron Banner I want to start the ultimate scumbag train: 6 Defenders. All using Weapons of Light. All rocking high impact snipers. WoL + 31 impact sniper = 1 body shot kill. Infinite Final Round basically. Bonus points for rocking Glasshouse for longer WoL duration. Ice Breaker having infinite ammo and bonus agility would be extra sweet, but I need my Ambush scope so I'll probably stick to my LDR.

Just imagine the salty rage

ocean

Banned
I do it for shits and giggles. You wouldn't catch me using it in Curcible or serious raid runs unless we all decide to fuck around with our favorite "worst" weapons.

If you have a spot for me, I'll run a low impact Pulse Rifle with Shank Burn *shudder*.

Edit: damn double posts will be the death of me, I can't figure out the thread's pace :(

kiguel182

Not to self: Stockpile on Monster (Because fudge Redbull), do all grocery shopping on friday ASAP, keep gamepad charged. I may need to be up really late during the weekend, but unless things get very "personal" (dating somebody right now, sucks to lose time from gaming), Completing VoG takes priority.

Although if it happens really really late (as in around 5:00 AM GMT+1), chances are my character will stop moving and snores can be heard over the mic. Not even energy drinks can keep me awake beyond a point.

I guess the one thing I like about Destiny is being able to play in short bursts... Except for the damn raids.

I'm on holiday now so I could in theory be up Sunday at 5 am but don't expect my performance to be up to snuff ahah

Some people enjoy Fusion Rifles like Hawkian. He knows full well that shotguns or snipers will generally be a "better" choice but Destiny isn't demanding enough to require the optimal weapon type to be used for anything really. You have the flexibility of running stuff with whatever you find more fun. Even if that's (lol) auto rifles.

You forgot to add

DeathJr. and Sidearm :p

Pat_DC

The thorn bounty is definitely the most challenging and rewarding experience in Destiny in my opinion. You're going about it the right way, just keep at it and you'll have it done in no time :)

Thanks mate! I might jump back in for a bit, might as well try and help max out my crucible marks for the week awhile I'm at it. Hopefully I don't go backwards in my bounty score!
I'll worry about the last part of the bounty if I ever get this part done :)

Namikaze1

Good morning DGAF!

Started using the Hawkmoon in crucible last night after being completely exclusive to The Last Word for a few weeks. I love this weapon <3

Also, great job on the year 2 pic nami, well done!
I have been using Hawkmoon exclusively for Crucible for the past month. Sure it doesn't have Thorn's DOT shit but I still love it and have been doing much better with it than I was with thorn. After trying out the Holy Trinity, I'm better with Hawkmoon than the other two. TLW just isn't for me and Thorn is cheap.

Also, thanks! :)

I'll probably do some more things for Year 2 thread. Just need some inspiration first.

ocean

Banned
You forgot to add

DeathJr. and Sidearm :p

You use side-oh man. Oh man.

1525.gif

Owensboro

I'll bring the hard light or monte carlo... those weapons are pretty bad these days :(

Hell, I guess that means I'd need to actually level up that No Land Beyond. I love the idea and style of it, just. ugh.

Anyone have any interest in doing a Hard Mode Crota's End raid later today around 5pm?

Honestly, I don't expect the raid to take more than 3 hours. I'm confident you guys will be able to figure out the mechanics while I silently dance in a corner :p

ori0n378e

Next Iron Banner I want to start the ultimate scumbag train: 6 Defenders. All using Weapons of Light. All rocking high impact snipers. WoL + 31 impact sniper = 1 body shot kill. Infinite Final Round basically. Bonus points for rocking Glasshouse for longer WoL duration. Ice Breaker having infinite ammo and bonus agility would be extra sweet, but I need my Ambush scope so I'll probably stick to my LDR.

Just imagine the salty rage
I'm down... ;) 3 with WoL and 3 with AoL...

^no it's not, and no it doesn't. Although I have gotten exactly one kill in Trials w Greg's Promise.

I'd be proud to rock the elite pro scout rifle NL Shadow in my sub optimal load out. Just ascended my second one (for no reason). It has full auto, outlaw, and the increased stability with decreased mag size. Beastly!

We have 6 for now but I'll keep you as an alt in case anyone drops out or can't make it.

You can also try joining Hawkian's newbie raid planned for tomorrow.

and if there are more newbies/first timers, I think Drizzay would be happy to get another group going for the weekend...

Yeah for sure, I'd be happy to help a newbie run, those are always great. Either newbie VoG or maybe a flawless CE run, it's been a while since I've sherpa'ed either. They're approximately the same difficulty level anyway Kappa.

Honestly, I don't expect the raid to take more than 3 hours. I'm confident you guys will be able to figure out the mechanics while I silently dance in a corner :p

The only thing I know at the moment is something like "Oracle / yellow light = bad. KILL FAST". From HoW, not sure if it will be similar on the actual VoG. at first I did not know what was killing me while looking for additional snipers.

ocean

Banned
Thorn bounty gives me nightmares. That last step was brutally difficult.
Level 27 blueberry Ocean thought he could solo a simple level 26 Summoning Pits back at launch.

Never have I been more wrong. Shit was brutal. 365 Horns and Hammers probably make this a lot easier now though :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Level 27 blueberry Ocean thought he could solo a simple level 26 Summoning Pits back at launch.

Never have I been more wrong. Shit was brutal. 365 Horns and Hammers probably make this a lot easier now though :p

Yeah, I also tried it pre-VoG. The only way I got it done was with 2 other VERY patient people. Fuck solo on that mission holy hell. I feel for you.

Reading a guide on getting the thorn, the crucible part and void kills.

Each kill with Void damage will give you 5 points towards your total, and each death will bring your total down by 2.

Not interested anymore. I'd never be able to do this.

Its basically a Nightfall with no modifiers. There seem to be additional Majors too.

With 3 people though, you can just have 2 Zerg rush everything outside and have 1 person camp behind the door to prevent a wipe since there is no requirement to resurect a player, they can respawn on their own.

bitsurugi

Good news Warlock lovers.

My 2nd titan went bye bye yesterday. Leveled a bit and went to bed as a lvl 9 Warlock.

Yesterday i picked up... and from lvl 9 went straight to lvl 34 ^^
Ram helmet, a few engrams here and there.

Also: FU Variks. Spent 8 (!) judgement packages to find some gear for my new Warlock and guess what?

7 rolls were weapons (sigh), which were less then useless, only 1 package was armor and was some bad gloves. Had to buy those Str boots he sells for warlocks. Now i got 0 armor and weapon cores.

Even Brother Vance Vaughn doesn't love my warlock. Not only he sells a super ugly helmet (can't wear that!) it also has bad rolls. Besides, not gona leave my Ram, like EVER! ^^

All 3 classes lvl 34, now time to level up a warlock subclass to the max, then i can join the Destiny platinum club :)

Drain You

Ugh this maintanance is killing me, just got back from the hosp, no work today. I'm all set to run some nightfalls, weeklys, POE, but nopeeeee.

Waldini

Hmmm..... secret nerfs perhaps?

Meh ... at this rate not a single Exotic will stand out. First SUROS, then Thorn ... followed by TLW and Hawkmoon. Funny how they buffed Thorn months ago and not a single one complained about it untill Trials of Osiris arrived.

Here's hoping they actually BUFF certain weapons to match the Exotics. Getting killed by other weapons than Thorn should be suffecient enough :)

8 hours. Jesus.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I used Thorn before it was cool.

But seriously, Thorn was my favorite weapon back when the game came out. Is it the dot that makes it so good now, or what?

The only thing I know at the moment is something like "Oracle / yellow light = bad. KILL FAST". From HoW, not sure if it will be similar on the actual VoG. at first I did not know what was killing me while looking for additional snipers.

Not spoiling anything, you will learn soon enough..

Reading a guide on getting the thorn, the crucible part and void kills.

Not interested anymore. I'd never be able to do this.

It's actually not that hard. Even if you're an average player, you can get 30 points per game - 500 points over 16-17 matches.

ocean

Banned
Its basically a Nightfall with no modifiers. There seem to be additional Majors too.

With 3 people though, you can just have 2 Zerg rush everything outside and have 1 person camp behind the door to prevent a wipe since there is no requirement to resurect a player, they can respawn on their own.
It's got the Epic modifier which is what makes Nightfalls hard. More enemies + more aggressive + elemental shields (with Epic Knights get Arc shields, Shanks get Solar and so on).

I actually wanna try it solo now. Doing it with blue rocket launchers and stuff was just insanity but it should be doable now.

Drain You

But seriously, Thorn was my favorite weapon back when the game came out. Is it the dot that makes it so good now, or what?

Yea the dot is always what gets me, I get hit from a pretty decent range, back out around a corner and still die

noomi

Good news Warlock lovers.

My 2nd titan went bye bye yesterday. Leveled a bit and went to bed as a lvl 9 Warlock.

Yesterday i picked up... and from lvl 9 went straight to lvl 34 ^^
Ram helmet, a few engrams here and there.

Also: FU Variks. Spent 8 (!) judgement packages to find some gear for my new Warlock and guess what?

7 rolls were weapons (sigh), which were less then useless, only 1 package was armor and was some bad gloves. Had to buy those Str boots he sells for warlocks. Now i got 0 armor and weapon cores.

Even Brother Vance Vaughn doesn't love my warlock. Not only he sells a super ugly helmet (can't wear that!) it also has bad rolls. Besides, not gona leave my Ram, like EVER! ^^

All 3 classes lvl 34, now time to level up a warlock subclass to the max, then i can join the Destiny platinum club :)

I saw you on my friends list leveling yesterday, so now you have one of each class eh?

It sounds rough, but if you have a couple void weapons you will be surprised. Warlocks are easy mode with Nova Bomb.

My all time Kill / Death Ratio for Crucible is 0.4, with my best being 0.5, so I doubt it. I am terrible at PvP and barely can't stand it, just entering from time to time in case loot drops.

It's got the Epic modifier which is what makes Nightfalls hard. More enemies + more aggressive + elemental shields (with Epic Knights get Arc shields, Shanks get Solar and so on).

I actually wanna try it solo now. Doing it with blue rocket launchers and stuff was just insanity but it should be doable now.
It's definitely not as bad now. I remember it being the absolute hardest content in the game. Destroyed it yesterday. Granted I was with two other people since the guy posted and said he wanted help, but I'm absolutely certain I could have done that solo. I have another Thorn bounty, so I'm gonna try that later once the servers go back up.

Pat_DC

My all time Kill / Death Ratio for Crucible is 0.4, with my best being 0.5, so I doubt it. I am terrible at PvP and barely can't stand it, just entering from time to time in case loot drops.

I am still doing this bounty but was lucky to have a Legendry void damage shot gun & machine gun which helps but I am also playing much more carefully than usual (hugging corners, patrolling one zone where ammo spawns) which isn't as much fun but helps keep in the positive. So it might be possible but might just require a change in the way you play.

I hope they don't nerf the Thorn before I even get it!

Nuszka

Are the servers offline? That's the prompt I'm getting from when I try to lunch it on x360 , it was working fine 2 hours ago.

sajj316

Saw this posted on the previous page. What makes Shadow of Veils any good? You can't re-roll it so it depends on the perks you get.

Newbie weekend raid - these 4 time slots feel reasonable to me, based on everyone's availability. Let's finalize one of these as soon as we can (third option seems best to me)

Friday 8PM GMT+1 (EU)
Friday 3PM GMT -4 (US)
Saturday 5AM GMT +10 (AU)

Saturday 6PM GMT+1 (EU)
Saturday 1PM GMT -4 (US)
Sunday 3AM GMT+10 (AU)

Saturday 11PM GMT+1 (EU)
Saturday 6PM GMT -4 (US)
Sunday 8AM GMT+10 (AU)

Sunday 12PM GMT +1 (EU)
Sunday 7AM GMT -4 (US)
Sunday 9PM GMT +10 (AU)

Shito

No, it's the insane range it has.
It can compete with snipers, with the added bonus of the dot making your shield longer to regenerate / giving your position away.
They should just nerf its range and it will be all cool again...

[EDIT]
Phew, barely dodged that top of the page post! ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom