• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Interesting info on Thorn. I have no shame in using OP guns because I suck at PvP. The only way I got that bounty done was my Warlock's abilities. Void grenades and void punches for everyone!

So I was fortunate enough to have TheWorthyEdge carry me through the HoW story stuff and get my first run of PoE 28 in. That thing is no joke. I can't imagine it at 35.

Owensboro

8 hours for you guys to kick your addiction. Back to the real world!

Pssh, that's just 8 more hours to spend in this thread!

Anyone looking to do a Hard Mode Crota's End around 5pm EST today on PS4? It's the second to last thing I need for the "Moments of Triumph" thing.

kiguel182

Newbie weekend raid - these 4 time slots feel reasonable to me, based on everyone's availability. Let's finalize one of these as soon as we can (third option seems best to me)

Friday 8PM GMT+1 (EU)
Friday 3PM GMT -4 (US)
Saturday 5AM GMT +10 (AU)

Saturday 6PM GMT+1 (EU)
Saturday 1PM GMT -4 (US)
Sunday 3AM GMT+10 (AU)

Saturday 11PM GMT+1 (EU)
Saturday 6PM GMT -4 (US)
Sunday 8AM GMT+10 (AU)

Sunday 12PM GMT +1 (EU)
Sunday 7AM GMT -4 (US)
Sunday 9PM GMT +10 (AU)

The last one would work the best for me. That one or the first. Saturday would be the most complicated for me and at 11 PM I will probably not be at home then.

Yep! It's all about that add management though and doing damage to Skolas in increments.

What my team would do is get him to about 30% health (mines spawn on 25%) clear out all the adds. Then just ghorn the shit out of Skolas, this way when he dies all the adds and essence disappear, and then all you have to worry about is that last set of mines with no problems ;)
Does that work on a small arms week though?

Newbie weekend raid - these 4 time slots feel reasonable to me, based on everyone's availability. Let's finalize one of these as soon as we can (third option seems best to me)

Friday 8PM GMT+1 (EU)
Friday 3PM GMT -4 (US)

Saturday 6PM GMT+1 (EU)
Saturday 1PM GMT -4 (US)
Sunday 3AM GMT+10 (AU)

Saturday 11PM GMT+1 (EU)
Saturday 6PM GMT -4 (US)
Sunday 8AM GMT+10 (AU)

Sunday 12PM GMT +1 (EU)
Sunday 7AM GMT -4 (US)
Sunday 9PM GMT +10 (AU)

I'm cool with all of them, although my friday performance may not be the same as on Saturday or Sunday. I may need a nap between work and before we begin Both Saturdays are fine, but I may not be able to use the mic that late, being able to only listen (I doubt I will say anything, anyways).

If the day gets fixed, I can bend myself a bit more and start on Friday at 18:00 or even at 10:00 AM on saturday (I will do my chores after the raid). Are there breaks for toilet or getting something for lunch /dinner or do we bring the poopsock and bottle? Not sure if I can remote play with the vita from there.

Friday 8PM GMT+1 (EU)
Friday 3PM GMT -4 (US)

Saturday 6PM GMT+1 (EU)
Saturday 1PM GMT -4 (US)
Sunday 3AM GMT+10 (AU)

Saturday 11PM GMT+1 (EU)
Saturday 6PM GMT -4 (US)
Sunday 8AM GMT+10 (AU)

Sunday 12PM GMT +1 (EU)
Sunday 7AM GMT -4 (US)
Sunday 9PM GMT +10 (AU)

Third or fourth option would be great for me.

Nuszka

Has anyone here tried logging in with their accounts to the demo version of destiny , played it on x360 and the vendors still have the vanilla gear. You know what I'm thinking right. Can't test it out as I am currently away on holiday.

sajj316

The perks on all of the Prison of Elders weapons are fixed except for the last Fallen related perk.

Ah, got it! So replenish is a standard perk. For me, my last perk is Disciplinarian.

Nice to be 365 + Arc out of the box. I had no idea it was 69 aim assist. Good stuff

Pssh, that's just 8 more hours to spend in this thread!

Anyone looking to do a Hard Mode Crota's End around 5pm EST today on PS4? It's the second to last thing I need for the "Moments of Triumph" thing.

I was going to go on Hawkian's vault of glass newbie raid (still haven't seen the entire thing!), so timing may conflict, but if this is postponed to tomorrow, or you don't mind someone with a hard cut off time of 9est, I'll go.

Need hard crota and skolas myself.

deadduck

I used Thorn before it was cool.

But seriously, Thorn was my favorite weapon back when the game came out. Is it the dot that makes it so good now, or what?

The DoT
The burning position give away
The huge delay in health regen
The 120ish damage from a single HS (Inc DoT)
The 148 damage from a single final round HS (Inc DoT)
The fast fire rate
The Sniper range

Waldini

The DoT
The burning position give away
The huge delay in health regen
The 120ish damage from a single HS (Inc DoT)
The 148 damage from a single final round HS (Inc DoT)
The fast fire rate
The Sniper range

- Remove the "position" give-away
- Reduce the range, but not by much
- Remove the "Final-Round" hidden perk
- Reduce the DoT to 4~5.

Done.

Anything more and the gun will be pre-buff level. Meaning it'll be fucking useless. It's funny how people complain about Exotics not being Exotic-tier-Godly level ... now you have an Exotic tearing shit up and people demand a nerf.

Does it matter what level you play to get it?
Nope, they're always the same, except for elemental primaries only dropping from Skolas and the element AND final perk being random on those. All scopes, first perks, and middle trees are the same on all PoE weapons.

For example, check out Shadow of Veils on DestinyDB. It shows which perk is re-rollable: http://www.destinydb.com/items/190731588-shadow-of-veils

And then the Six Dreg Pride II: http://www.destinydb.com/items/270944924-six-dreg-pride-ii

ocean

Banned
Meh ... at this rate not a single Exotic will stand out. First SUROS, then Thorn ... followed by TLW and Hawkmoon. Funny how they buffed Thorn months ago and not a single one complained about it untill Trials of Osiris arrived.

Here's hoping they actually BUFF certain weapons to match the Exotics. Getting killed by other weapons than Thorn should be suffecient enough :)

8 hours. Jesus.
You're only hearing more complaints because a lot of people who didn't used to play Crucible just got started the playing PvP recently now that it's more generous and they are too burned out on Strikes. Moreover, Trials brought about matches where a loss is actually meaningful.

No gun should kill as fast as these guns do. They're insane outliers. Back when S U R O S R E G I M E was the king, it was still only a little better than similar alternatives. Thorn and The Last Word are so ridiculously far above everything else that it's game breaking.

Assuming you can fire your headshots as quickly as the gun can shoot and not miss or hit the body, an Auto Rifle or Scout Rifle will take around 0.8 seconds in the best of cases, 1.2 seconds at worst. A good Pulse Rifle will kill in around 0.67 seconds, while most will do it in 0.8. Even top tier stuff like Red Death and The Measenger *never* break the half second line.

Thorn can 2-tap you in 0.36 seconds. It'll take a little longer for you to die from DoT, but your death sentence is final. Do you see how this is a problem? As if that weren't enough, it's a fast-firing Hand Cannon with great range, good stability, and it gives away enemy positions with the damage ticks. Oh and the DoT means your shields will recover before theirs so you can rush a grenade and finish off the kill. It's just a gun with no downsides. There's no trade off made when you use this.

The Last Word glitches and gives 111 on ADS at range way too often. It's meant to be a hipfire bonus, and if you can get 2 Hipfire headshots consecutively you probably just got lucky :p but under ADS it's easy and amounts to a time to kill of about .26 seconds. For reference, that's faster than any machine gun.

To suggest that literally every other gun in the game is buffed to these CoD-type kill speeds is crazy, when it's much easier to just bring 2 guns in line with the hundreds of others.

Weapons in the game are fairly well balanced except for Auto Rifles (they need to recover the old crit multiplier). But there's two guns that kill you in half, or a third of the time of the alternatives.

ultrazilla

So I'm 4 gold chests and just 1 skolas kill away from obtaining the year 1 beyond exotic Destiny banner.

We must defeat SKOLAS ie Scrotum!!!! So if there's any level 34 fully decked out Guardians(it's useless if you're under level 34) and want to take this sucker out, I'm game!

The servers are showing down for me at the moment (9 am Detroit time) but when they're up, I'm game for tackling the PoE 35. Add me with a Skolas message or NEOGAF message and we'll take it on. PS4 Kaijuseijin

The last one would work the best for me. That one or the first. Saturday would be the most complicated for me and at 11 PM I will probably not be at home then.

I'm cool with all of them, although my friday performance may not be the same as on Saturday or Sunday. I may need a nap between work and before we begin Both Saturdays are fine, but I may not be able to use the mic that late, being able to only listen (I doubt I will say anything, anyways).

If the day gets fixed, I can bend myself a bit more and start on Friday at 18:00 or even at 10:00 AM on saturday (I will do my chores after the raid). Are there breaks for toilet or getting something for lunch /dinner or do we bring the poopsock and bottle? Not sure if I can remote play with the vita from there.

Third or fourth option would be great for me.

Sunday 12PM GMT +1 (EU)
Sunday 7AM GMT -4 (US)
Sunday 9PM GMT +10 (AU)

Sunday then? I'll wait for Kurumi and stlobus to confirm but seems it's the best option.

Ofc we can take breaks for snacks, restroom etc..lol

Also we can move it up or down a couple of hours to suit everyone..

LiK

Nope, they're always the same, except for elemental primaries only dropping from Skolas and the element AND final perk being random on those. All scopes, first perks, and middle trees are the same on all PoE weapons.

For example, check out Shadow of Veils on DestinyDB. It shows which perk is re-rollable: http://www.destinydb.com/items/190731588-shadow-of-veils

And then the Six Dreg Pride II: http://www.destinydb.com/items/270944924-six-dreg-pride-ii

Great. Guess I can do 28s when I don't feel like joining a group.

So I'm 4 gold chests and just 1 skolas kill away from obtaining the year 1 beyond exotic Destiny banner.

We must defeat SKOLAS ie Scrotum!!!! So if there's any level 34 fully decked out Guardians(it's useless if you're under level 34) and want to take this sucker out, I'm game!

The servers are showing down for me at the moment (9 am Detroit time) but when they're up, I'm game for tackling the PoE 35. Add me with a Skolas message or NEOGAF message and we'll take it on. PS4 Kaijuseijin
I'd really suggest waiting until next Tuesday for Small Arms/Lightswitch to change back to Brawler/Juggler.
Great. Guess I can do 28s when I don't feel like joining a group.
Okay, I apologize for confusing your question. The chest on 28/32/34/35 drops Queen's weapons. The only way to get PoE weapons is with weapon cores from 34/35 and then buying them from Variks or getting a weapon AND armor core and doing a Judgment Chance with Variks.

Waldini

You're only hearing more complaints because a lot of people who didn't used to play Crucible just got started the playing PvP recently now that it's more generous and they are too burned out on Strikes. Moreover, Trials brought about matches where a loss is actually meaningful.

No gun should kill as fast as these guns do. They're insane outliers. Back when S U R O S R E G I M E was the king, it was still only a little better than similar alternatives. Thorn and The Last Word are so ridiculously far above everything else that it's game breaking.

Assuming you can fire your headshots as quickly as the gun can shoot and not miss or hit the body, an Auto Rifle or Scout Rifle will take around 0.8 seconds in the best of cases, 1.2 seconds at worst. A good Pulse Rifle will kill in around 0.67 seconds, while most will do it in 0.8. Even top tier stuff like Red Death and The Measenger *never* break the half second line.

Thorn can 2-tap you in 0.36 seconds. It'll take a little longer for you to die from DoT, but your death sentence is final. Do you see how this is a problem? The Last Word glitches and gives 111 on ADS at range way too often. It's meant to be a hipfire bonus, and if you can get 2 Hipfire headshots consecutively you probably just got lucky :p but under ADS it's easy and amounts to a time to kill of about .26 seconds. For reference, that's faster than any machine gun.

To suggest that literally every other gun in the game is buffed to these CoD-type kill speeds is crazy, when it's much easier to just bring 2 guns in line with the hundreds of others.

Weapons in the game are fairly well balanced except for Auto Rifles (they need to recover the old crit multiplier). But there's two guns that kill you in half, or a third of the time of the alternatives.

Agreed.

SUROS reigned supreme before the nerf. However, I've seen plenty of other weapons back in the day that people used because they were pretty good. Remember that "blue" Auto-Rifle? Can't remember it's name. That thing was on par, if not better, than SUROS. Same goes for some Legendary Hand-Cannons.

Thanks to the big-nerf most of the PvP players resorted to using other weapons and found Thorn and TLW to be most fitting. The way it is now players are kinda forced to used the Thorn and TLW. They will have a hard time keeping up because, at the moment, there isn't a single weapon in the game who does damage quite like those two mentioned before.

As for a way to "fix" Thorn? The DoT (Devourer Perk) should be lowered so that you can actually manage to survive when hit two times. Also reduce the range and remove that bloody peek-a-boo digits that allow you to see where the enemy is hiding. Still, I've seen alot of people who go into PvP and, somehow, can't even handle an OP weapon like Thorn/TLW.

Eventually it all comes down to the way Bungie nerfs/buffs their weapons. If you remove Auto-Rifles completely other weapons will come out on top. Hell, I can't even recall getting killed by a Fusion Rifle or Auto-Rifle anymore. With Trials of Osiris all I get killed by it Thorn, TLW and Final Round snipers.

I agree with what you say though ...

I have to say, ive been really down on Bungie and Destiny lately, but yesterday i started some Elder Scrolls online and although its not the same "scale" as Destiny, Its really made me appreciate what Bungie as accomplished with their game. The polish, the graphics, the simplicity, i have to say, i have a completely different take on it now. I appreciate it a lot more.

LiK

I'd really suggest waiting until next Tuesday for Small Arms/Lightswitch to change back to Brawler/Juggler.

Okay, I apologize for confusing your question. The chest on 28/32/34/35 drops Queen's weapons. The only way to get PoE weapons is with weapon cores from 34/35 and then buying them from Variks or getting a weapon AND armor core and doing a Judgment Chance with Variks.

So I can't get Veils to drop on 32?

Owensboro

I was going to go on Hawkian's vault of glass newbie raid (still haven't seen the entire thing!), so timing may conflict, but if this is postponed to tomorrow, or you don't mind someone with a hard cut off time of 9est, I'll go.

Need hard crota and skolas myself.

Sure man, but do the VoG thing first. I've done it 3-4 times and really like every encounter. I've never done the hard mode of Crota and was hoping to get some people who had done it before, but it's looking more and more like they've all completed it already this week. Might just have to wait for Tuesday Reset again.

However, if you're looking to beat your head against Skolas let me know. Never done it, need it for the emblem thing, and have no problem with a few wipes (ex. took us about an hour to down the 34 Fallen Servitor Boss yesterday, just didn't have the DPS to kill him in one cycle so we had to focus on killing the adds for one round to make sure he didn't regain any health, then burn him).

ocean

Banned
Agreed.

SUROS reigned supreme before the nerf. However, I've seen plenty of other weapons back in the day that people used because they were pretty good. Remember that "blue" Auto-Rifle? Can't remember it's name. That thing was on par, if not better, than SUROS. Same goes for some Legendary Hand-Cannons.

Thanks to the big-nerf most of the PvP players resorted to using other weapons and found Thorn and TLW to be most fitting.

Thorn kills you way to fast. The DoT should be lowered so that you can actually manage to survive when hit. However, I've seen plenty of Thorn users who can't seem to handle the weapon. Same goes for The Last Word.

Eventually it all comes down to the way Bungie nerfs/buffs their weapons. If you remove Auto-Rifles completely other weapons will come out on top. Hell, I can't even recall getting killed by a Fusion Rifle or Auto-Rifle anymore. With Trials of Osiris all I get killed by it Thorn, TLW and Final Round snipers.

I agree with what you say though ...
High end players flock to the best options pretty quickly. There will always be some options that beat the rest and you can count on people finding them. That is OK. The problem is when the best options are *so much better* that other things can't compete.

Take the famous Hopscotch Pilgrim or Messenger. Probably the best Legendaries you could use right now. Despite being probably "better" than my Red Hand IX, the difference isn't large enough that I can't compete. Whereas if I try to compete with a good Thorn or TLW user with my Red Hand IX I will only win when they mess up and miss.

Definity

All these folks talking about finally getting thorn. I loved that exotic bounty and hopefully we see more involved bounties like that in the future content. I remember using a fusion rifle called Final Rest w/ Void damage to finish off the crucible part.

Ikkarus

Take the famous Hopscotch Pilgrim or Messenger. Probably the best Legendaries you could use right now. Despite being probably "better" than my Red Hand IX, the difference isn't large enough that I can't compete. Whereas if I try to compete with a good Thorn or TLW user with my Red Hand IX I will only win when they mess up and miss.
I yearn for the Hopscotch. Me and EJ must of done about 25-30 strikes yesterday and didn't see a single one drop. :(

Haybro

Yeah for sure, I'd be happy to help a newbie run, those are always great. Either newbie VoG or maybe a flawless CE run, it's been a while since I've sherpa'ed either. They're approximately the same difficulty level anyway Kappa.

Oh man, keep me in mind if this ends up happening at all. It's the last trophy I need for lordship.

Gotta get to vanguard/crucible rep rank 2 first though. :(

Better off just getting a raid carry and hoping for good armor drops.

Oh wow really? That's lame. My heart!

If I would have known that before I started, I probably wouldn't have been able to do it. I guess I'll be doing lots and lots of PvP haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom