• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kudoboi

What makes Exotics, well, Exotic, is that they have unique perks. They may be totally useless in one scenario and amazing for another. I'll give you an example.

The Hunter chest piece on sale this week is the Crest of Alpha Lupi. It lets you revive friends and be revived way more quickly than normal. When playing Skirmish this helps a little. When playing Trials of Osiris it's just amazing and can mean the difference between a clutch comeback and a loss. If you're playing Trials, this is an extremely solid option.

Now let's say you and some buddies wanna play Clash. There's no revives in Clash. All of a sudden this Exotic is way less attractive. You might be inclined to use Lucky Raspberry instead, or Knucklehead Radar.

The point is, Exotics are designed to have perks which are extremely useful for specific situations. Outside a few generally underwhelming ones, all Exotics have a shining moment.

One of the most interesting aspects of the game is strategizing around your Exotic choices. Picking one means leaving another. Do I want double grenades or faster revives? A fourth Golden Gun shot or the ability to go invisible while Gunslinger? Spawn with enhanced Axion Bolt or have double enhanced Scatter grenades?

Bungie has done a far better job in making most Exotic armor useful than with the weapons. As a rule of thumb, you can just assume that every Exotic armor is worth owning.

great advice. tnx :D

Don't bunch up during Heavy, kids.

Y6RACf2.gif

The Purifier Robes are 42 Light straight out of the box, which is fantastic while you're still trying to level up. Moreover, it is a super useful Exotic that's definitely worth owning. It's only got 3 upgrade bubbles and they're all pretty cheap, you'll have it upgraded in no time.

I'd suggest you buy it and just grab a Legendary Helm from a vendor as soon as you have the marks. Since you're level 32, make sure to run the Daily Heroic missions at 32 for a nice Mark reward.

The Hunter piece on sale is pretty good but if your Alts are still low level I wouldn't start buying stuff for them until you really feel you're set with your main. Besides, Alpha Lupi is an old Exotic meaning it has a very long, grindy upgrade tree that requires a ton of XP and planetary materials.

Old Exotic? Like something it was in the original base game and got improved /updated over time, or that newer exotics from the expansions tend to be simpler?

Oddly, this is the first ever time I haven't farmed any marks. I usually will sert for 25 daily marks, between doing the daily and then then hunt events with the Destiny Public Events App between Cosmodrome and Moon. And this week, I oddly have more marks for Crucible than Vanguard, although my rep is so pathetic that I would not be able to purchase anything with them.
Regarding doing a Daily on 32... Unsure. I got my ass kicked two days ago doing the Mission were you protect the warmind and could not finish it solo... and it was a 28, I believe. I had it hard even on its vanilla flavor to complete it.

Well, the raid is settled for Sunday then, so I can readjust my weekend schedule and do the weekly cleaning on Saturday (which is my binge gaming day if there are no plans).

I still haven't tried Prison of Elders. Does it reuse maps? The way I understand it, it is an arena for PvE?

Yup, Sunday it is.

Maps are the same for prison, the modifiers and boss rotate every week.

Old Exotic? Like something it was in the original base game and got improved /updated over time, or that newer exotics from the expansions tend to be simpler?

Oddly, this is the first ever time I haven't farmed any marks. I usually will sert for 25 daily marks, between doing the daily and then then hunt events with the Destiny Public Events App between Cosmodrome and Moon. Regarding doing a Daily on 32... Unsure. I got my ass kicked two days ago doing the Mission were you protect the warmind and could not finish it solo... and it was a 28, I believe. I had it hard even on its vanilla flavor to complete it.

New armour and weapons have less upgrade nodes than vanilla stuff and they actually start at their max light level. In vanilla Destiny you'd have to fully upgrade a piece of armour to get your light level up.

Old exotics still have all the old upgrades.

Purifier Robes hype. From what I saw it seemed like a good stat roll but how does that compare to other ones people have? Is it actually good?

164 total stat is above average. I like them but like most Warlock Exotics, or just exotics in general, they are strong but not exactly vital. Great if you get swarmed in Nightfall and rez. Average for trials as you get shotgunned to death as soon as you rez. Though they do look hella sexy, but don't change colour with shaders.

ocean

Banned

Oddly, this is the first ever time I haven't farmed any marks. I usually will sert for 25 daily marks, between doing the daily and then then hunt events with the Destiny Public Events App between Cosmodrome and Moon. Regarding doing a Daily on 32... Unsure. I got my ass kicked two days ago doing the Mission were you protect the warmind and could not finish it solo... and it was a 28, I believe. I had it hard even on its vanilla flavor to complete it.
All weapons and armor introduced with House of Wolves have a simplified upgrade tree.

Take a look at the armor sold by vendors. It'll have one or two upgrade bubbles with perks, but it's sold at 36 Light and that's the end of it. Previously, you bought a Legendary which was 24 Light at the Vendor, then had a ton of "Defense Upgrade" bubbles to bring them to 30. It took a long time and a ton of materials.

Exotics have also been simplified. If you look at a "new" Exotic like Purifier Robes, you'll see it comes at 42 Light and only has 3 upgrade nodes.

Compare this to a pre-HoW Exotic and you'll see that those have tooooons of upgrade nodes. They can still go to 42 Light, but they'll start off at 36 and require that you upgrade many bubbles to bring it to 42.

As for the Daily on level 32: some missions are hard to solo if you don't have top-tier weapons. The TDB missions like The Warmind are particularly tricky with all those majors.

Some others are a cakewalk. Give them a try! The rewards are super generous. There's a few guys here who do the Daily on each of their characters every day here. Over a few months this means literally thousands of upgrade materials stashed and ready for the next expansion, and capping your Vanguard Marks every week with just maybe 20 minutes a day doing the Daily without grinding Strikes.

It's 20 Vanguard Marks, some rep, an engram, a lot of XP and 16 Planetary Materials. Compared to the party 6 Marks from a Dragon Strike I think it's worth it :p

Carn82

Some others are a cakewalk. Give them a try! The rewards are super generous. There's a few guys here who do the Daily on each of their characters every day here. Over a few months this means literally thousands of upgrade materials stashed and ready for the next expansion, and capping your Vanguard Marks every week in just 4 days without grinding Strikes.

I think one of my characters has been capped with Vanguard marks for weeks now. I can't even be arsed to buy some materials anymore. I guess I could just buy & shard some weapons, but meh. Bungie needs to do something about that. ( change them for weaponparts pleassse?)

Also! HoW dailies get you 20 marks

Not sure if I should buy anything from Xur or keep the money. I could buy the purifier robes, but since I don't have a legendary helmet yet I'd have to stick again with a blue one.

Could buy stuff for an alt, though. Having a 32 Warlock, should I go for the Titan or the Hunter?

Alpha lupi for hunter is good if you play pvp. Especially skirmish, salvage or trials. But the stats on the chest Xur is selling are very low.

The titan helmet is useless and ugly, save your coins.

If you have a warlock, the purifier robes are decent, not the best though.

ocean

Banned
I think one of my characters has been capped with Vanguard marks for weeks now. I can't even be arsed to buy some materials anymore. I guess I could just buy & shard some weapons, but meh. Bungie needs to do something about that. ( change them for weaponparts pleassse?)

Also! HoW dailies get you 14 marks (i believe, correct me if I'm wrong)
I think it's 20 for the highest level no? As for having nothing to do with Vanguard Marks: yup. We just don't need as many planetary materials as we used to.

On top of that, Vanguard no longer has attractive weapons. They used to have some top tier stuff like The Swarm, The Comedian, LDR, The Devil You Know, Epitaph, Badger CCL... Now everything Vanguard is selling is meh

Cool, thanks for the stat feedback. Obviously I'll buy them and level them but doubt I'll use them much. They seem like fun though.

164 total stat is above average. I like them but like most Warlock Exotics, or just exotics in general, they are strong but not exactly vital. Great if you get swarmed in Nightfall and rez. Average for trials as you get shotgunned to death as soon as you rez. Though they do look hella sexy, but don't change colour with shaders.

Yeah my list of Trials exotics is very short for each class, it's Crest of Alpha Luigi for Titan/Hunter or Armamentarium and Lucky Rasberry if the team already has two fast revive exotics.

I don't see the Robes passing either the Ram or Light Beyond Nemesis. I've shot gunned or super'ed many Purified Locks despite the blindness. It's not like I forget where the orb was just because I went blind.

Carn82

I think it's 20 for the highest level no? As for having nothing to do with Vanguard Marks: yup. We just don't need as many planetary materials as we used to.

On top of that, Vanguard no longer has attractive weapons. They used to have some top tier stuff like The Swarm, The Comedian, LDR, The Devil You Know, Epitaph, Badger CCL... Now everything Vanguard is selling is meh

thanks, corrected my post :)

And yeah, latest batch is really week. Of the top of my head, is there even a great handcannon or shotty now? Let's hope TTK brings in some change.

Also, I don't know why they would add one or two 'random' weapons (or armor) that rotates between older stuff.

Not sure if I should buy anything from Xur or keep the money. I could buy the purifier robes, but since I don't have a legendary helmet yet I'd have to stick again with a blue one.

Could buy stuff for an alt, though. Having a 32 Warlock, should I go for the Titan or the Hunter?

I just started buying things I didnt have yet. And now I'm rebuying stuff if it has better stats (I`ll skip the marginably better stat versions tho).

My first character (and still my main) is a hunter so I would say go for that ;) Both class-trees are unlocked tho, so you can just start leveling whatever you want. I usually just play the game with my prefered class, and switch to the other class while handing over bounties.

What are some decent PvP (specifically Trials) int/dis/str rolls to use with Titans and Warlocks?

Ive got 34s of each character but I've only ever used my hunter so I'm looking to branch out.

All weapons and armor introduced with House of Wolves have a simplified upgrade tree.

Take a look at the armor sold by vendors. It'll have one or two upgrade bubbles with perks, but it's sold at 36 Light and that's the end of it. Previously, you bought a Legendary which was 24 Light at the Vendor, then had a ton of "Defense Upgrade" bubbles to bring them to 30. It took a long time and a ton of materials.

Exotics have also been simplified. If you look at a "new" Exotic like Purifier Robes, you'll see it comes at 42 Light and only has 3 upgrade nodes.

Oh, I thought that older gear with more bubbles meant more skills. Then they are just more streamlined.

Still unsure on what to buy, although I still have plenty of time to decide until sunday. Maybe I should get a shard, although right now I still don't have exotic weapons to use it on and it probably is wasted on a legendary. And before using the purifier robs I'd need a legendary helmet, so I will probably farm the vanguard marks I am missing (60) between today and Saturday.

Yesterday the Spare Change.25 managed to get on my nerves. Although useful in the beginning, the sight that moves to track the enemy is a pain in the arse now..

Lima

Two words: Revive Snipe.

Makes the purifier robes very situational. Ram and LBN are way better for pvp.

They are really meant for PvE anyway. Pulling the numbers out of my ass but let's say that 90% of Sunsinger warlocks in PVE just have their super charged for a long time and just wait until they die to use fire born. So let's say there is something with light switch and you die. Often after reviving yourself you will just die again. Not with purifier robes. Then again there is also no reason to use anything other than the Ram even for PvE. The ram is just too OP.

What are some decent PvP (specifically Trials) int/dis/str rolls to use with Titans and Warlocks?

Ive got 34s of each character but I've only ever used my hunter so I'm looking to branch out.
With both titans and warlocks (and hunters for that matter) I like to have max discipline. With warlock I don't really care where the rest of my stats go as intellect and strength are great. Fuck strength with striker titans. I think my current titan build has me at 90% int and 100% Dis

Jinjo

Is Plan C worth buying?

It used to be beastly, until they nerfed the FR (and not the shotguns, smh). Now HC's & shotguns roam the PvP streets. It's still sorta good though.

Man.. Either Xur has been a let down the last couple weeks, or I just don't need any of these weapons.

That Red Death though. Pretty sure all the weapons have been sold multiple times already so what do you expect? Only Thunderlord & Gjallarhorn have been sold once.

I guess everyone is still holding out that Gjallarhorn hope.

Man I hate doing the fallen majors bounty. After all this time I still don't have a good spot for these assholes.

Venus Patrol - Ishtar cliffs.

There are 3 majors there, sometimes even 4 and they respawn within a minute of you killing them.

They are really meant for PvE anyway. Pulling the numbers out of my ass but let's say that 90% of Sunsinger warlocks in PVE just have their super charged for a long time and just wait until they die to use fire born. So let's say there is something with light switch and you die. Often after reviving yourself you will just die again. Not with purifier robes. Then again there is also no reason to use anything other than the Ram even for PvE. The ram is just too OP.

PvE? I'd never use them for PvE.

Ram or Obsidian Mind will take preference any day in PvE.

Hmm. I never noticed exotic armor may only have just one value instead of two (as it happens with the helmet from the past week). usually I prefer keeping discipline and intellect high and put the strenght in a second league. I try to use the warlock super from time to time, as right now it recharges at a decent speed.

Moobabe

Thanks to the guys who helped me through VoG HM last night - my first raid in Destiny!

It was pretty fun - the bosses weren't too spongy, but maybe that's because my team all had really pro gear.

The one thing I would say is there were 2 sections - one with some disappearing platforms and one after the first boss - that seemed a little... easy? The floating platforms I jumped on the first one, then jumped again and just glided to the end, the other section was just a straight drop for about 2 minutes.

Overall though it was pretty fun! Nice group of guys to play with and got a couple of trophies for my troubles (and some shards which I guess are good?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom