• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuMa

mGgoeaO.gif

LZTvkrKzHwzSg.gif

EL CUCO

He does have a point. It's fun and all for people who want it but it's not gonna make players better in general PVP cuz you're taking out stuff that's in regular PVP matches.
Eh, I see what he's getting at. But at the same time, Final Round doesn't make anyone better. And anybody can fire a rocket at someones vicinity and it will hit thanks to G&H. Competitive sweaties consist of more actual gun fights and less BS. I mean, Destiny gonna Destiny and it'll always be hard to balance but playing sweaties definitely makes you better and hones your actual skills.

zewone

Don't get me wrong, I hated MLG rules in Halo, too. But they kept to themselves and got their own playlists and that was fine.

They're pretty much doing the same thing here. In no way can they possibly impact that way you play the game. If they want to limit their weapons and/or abilities playing against you in PvP because they want to practice, who cares?

I once played a rumble game with 1 hand because I had a bet with my wife that I could still do better than last place with 1 hand.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling people they shouldn't play sweaties as it doesn't effect me at all.

It just seems like some people seem to think being good in sweaties (hate that name) somehow makes you a good PVP player or that it's the most competitive way to play Destiny PVP and I don't agree. Just my opinion and nothing more.

Yesterday during the Crota run.
usiQ18p.gif
That happened to me when I soloing it for people, it's why I try not to hop on the bridge anymore. There was also a time that I jumped, hit a thrall, was thrown off the left side, popped my blade dance, lunged too far to the right, and then lunged back left onto the bridge. My heart was pumping then!

zewone

Eh, I see what he's getting at. But at the same time, Final Round doesn't make anyone better. And anybody can fire a rocket at someones vicinity and it will hit thanks to G&H. Competitive sweaties consist of more actual gun fights and less BS. I mean, Destiny gonna Destiny and it'll always be hard to balance but playing sweaties definitely makes you better and hones your actual skills.

I agree that there's a lot of cheap/OP crap in the game, but learning to best those type of players (especially without having to use the same cheap tactics/weapons) against randoms would actually make you better.

LiK

It'll definitely make you a better player without that perk. What I mean is that it'll make you less great against those perks when playing against the general population.

I have nothing against sweaties. People can play however they want if they can.

noomi

Today is super rough at work :(

I just want to GTFO of here already. Tonight will consist of dinner with my wife, followed by relaxing at home and watching a movie, and then finally some trials if time allows and I don't fall asleep on the couch

Tomorrow I'm going to the beach to tan my cheeks, then.... more trials.

Haybro

It's Friday! ToO is back, Xur has the Purifier Robes, and gf is out of town so I have all weekend to play.

Now if I could just get my ass to mercury. I feel like the only DGAFer who hasn't been yet.

Been playing these a lot lately and have to see one drop for anyone.

At least you didn't make my mistake.

I got one from the very first House of Wolves Nightfall I did, but I was already running low on space (both on my characters and in the vault) so I figured with all the other new weapons I was going to get, I decided to shard it...

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Been playing these a lot lately and have to see one drop for anyone.

If it makes you feel any better, I only saw one other one drop last night. Zero drops the previous 2 nights, and I've pretty much maxed my vanguard marks for the week across 3 characters.

LiK

I don't own Eternal Warrior, but it's sooooooooooo ugly.

I'll buy it for collection purposes I suppose...

I think it's cool looking but I haven't found any armor that matches the look for it. Need some Roman/Greek ass shit to match.

Jumping in, although I won't be late in the night. I want to go to bed early and use the morning for working out. With this hot weather all my calorie burning time is going straight into Destiny.

If anybody wants to propose something, Drop a message at PSN Figaliz.. I will be doing a bit of random stuff and farming marks. Maybe trying PoE 28 with Matchmaking.

zewone

At least you didn't make my mistake.

I got one from the very first House of Wolves Nightfall I did, but I was already running low on space (both on my characters and in the vault) so I figured with all the other new weapons I was going to get, I decided to shard it...

I didn't realize it could drop from Nightfall. Ouch...

Yesterday during the Crota run.
Edit: here's a video. RiP ReignofSparrows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkztMpPjB2U

Damn you, hah. I didn't even know that was a possibility until I was helplessly falling to my death. I'll never hop over thrall on the bridge again.

Also, on the subject of sweaties: The restricted player base argument makes absolutely no sense. The majority of really good players match themselves up with really good players. And it's not like the better players have to learn some skills that specifically counter a final round or whatever.

I am sure that the best players would say that the skill gained from playing against other really good players far outweighs whatever they are 'losing' as a result of restricting equipment or perks.

ocean

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling people they shouldn't play sweaties as it doesn't effect me at all.

It just seems like some people seem to think being good in sweaties (hate that name) somehow makes you a good PVP player or that it's the most competitive way to play Destiny PVP and I don't agree. Just my opinion and nothing more.

It's about more than just being more competitive. These rules also serve to make the game more fun to play and more fun to watch. For example, Final Round on high impact Snipers encourages camping and long stalemates between teams - this is both frustrating to play and frustrating to watch.

Overall, the skills required to play well are the same no matter which restrictions are imposed on loudouts. I have a hard time imagining a player who performs well with these restrictions but plays poorly in "regular" Crucible matches. Likewise, I rather doubt that an otherwise good player will somehow be poor just because you take away a perk from his Sniper Rifle or Pocket Infinity or whatever.

So overall I do think it's safe to assume that someone who performs well in scrims is a good PvP player in general. As for being more competitive or less competitive, that's completely up to personal interpretation so your perspective is totally valid.

What makes these games competitive is not the fact that loudouts are slightly restricted. It's more about the fact that committed teams are going out of their way to matchmake against each other, keeping a tally on wins, and streaming their efforts for an audience. Unlike a regular PvP match where teams just happen to be facing each other, these are instances of teams directly challenging each other - by definition, a competitive endeavor. Setting rules is just a detail in the scheme of these competitive matches and not the defining factor to make them competitive.

deviant1

woooo newbie raid put atheon down! great run.

Thanks again for this, the raid was a blast and your knowledge and tips were really helpful. RNGesus was very good to me, I walked away with Atheon's Epilogue, Praedyth's Revenge, Corrective Measure, and a Chatterwhite shader as rewards.

I look forward to hopefully doing CE with you soon. Maybe I'll run my Titan or Warlock next time if I can get any of my characters to 33 or 34.

ocean

Banned
Jumping in, although I won't be late in the night. I want to go to bed early and use the morning for working out. With this hot weather all my calorie burning time is going straight into Destiny.

If anybody wants to propose something, Drop a message at PSN Figaliz.. I will be doing a bit of random stuff and farming marks. Maybe trying PoE 28 with Matchmaking.

Wanna do Nightfall?

3 solid nights of grinding Dragon strikes and now I have this:

rka2pr8l.jpg

I'm on Night 4 of grinding. I thought it'd be more of chore, but as it turned out it's fun if you do what I've been doing. I take whatever exotic weapon and exotic armor piece I haven't leveled and just run around with those. Last night it was fun shotgunning things with Invective and then following up with a punch while wearing No Backup Plans. 28 as a 33+ is right at the level of you can goof off, but you still have to pay attention. And the XP gains have been very satisfying even if I don't have a Hopscotch Pilgrim yet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks again Hawkian for that walk through of VoG NM last night. I had never seen 2 of those encounters (one being the Gorgon maze), so it was nice to get a taste of that. Excited to do HM at some point! That said, you taught us about checkpoint magic for chests, so if nothing else, I'll have to try and steal that from someone before reset (I don't think I'll have leveled my gear enough by then to feel comfortable in HM).

Onto general progression, what do I do to start obtaining better/strong weapons? Is it just luck? Or just run bounties and such for rep to buy better guns?
You got it. Just watch for anyone to mention the gorgon CP. I may or may not have a chance to make an excursion into the vault again before reset and snag it.

edit: Oh, other question.

Luck can get you bonuses but you can build an arsenal without any RNG- tell me what kind of weapon types you're interested in and I'll make some suggestions. You can also Ascend any legendary or Exotic weapon (or Armor) to max stats, so don't rule out anything you already own.

Buy Plan C from Xur for starters if you can afford it.
bolded -> Hawkian has gone to the dark side...
The hell? XD

I've been mentioning that people hold open the Gorgon CP for people to collect the chest on all their characters since somewhere around the third newbie raid.

Hopefully I didn't give the wrong impression about its practicality. Overwhelmingly most of the time you'll wind up with nothing from that chest, but it is a spot to roll for the OG exotics nonetheless.
Thanks again for this, the raid was a blast and your knowledge and tips were really helpful. RNGesus was very good to me, I walked away with Atheon's Epilogue, Praedyth's Revenge, Corrective Measure, and a Chatterwhite shader as rewards.
That is not a bad haul at all dang. Corrective Measure is one of my favorite weapons all-time.
I look forward to hopefully doing CE with you soon. Maybe I'll run my Titan or Warlock next time if I can get any of my characters to 33 or 34.
Cool. You only need 32 to be max usefulness in CE normal.
You'd just forget to buy it anyway ;)
I'll let that slide because you have a screaming kid nearby and i'm drinking your gin this evening.
Still can't believe you missed it a couple weeks ago when it was sold :p
You on the other hand...

I did the Crota ones at 29, with 2/3 legendary armor, and HoW... Maybe at the same level. The exotic helmet moved me directly to 32.

- In the warmind, the initial problem was that I thought waves would keep coming unless I killed the wizards and tried to kill them without getting rid of the mininions. After understanding that it was easier. Biggest issue was the vestiges taking out your safe spots.

- With the Urn, I could not find a safe spot to heal and kill from behind cover. I would have to hover hoping I would not get shot. I believe that one practically has no safe areas, and thralls will force you to move. I only had an scout rifle and it was not enough rate to kill them.

- The last story fight about skolas, I would get swarmed immediately while trying to kill the Servitors before the waves came. Skolas coming for me plus captains with shields. Since my best weapons at the moment were a legendary scout rifle and the murmur, I barely could do anything. I went down one level, but I would get fallens even from behind. In the end I found that retreating to the farthest part, very few enemies would come down and Skolas could not move beyond a point, making him an easy target moving around a column.

Usually I play it safe when soloing on hard with the heroic, but some missions don't have a safe area and enemies will make a run for you instead of keeping the distance with firearms. Thralls in heroic can be the worst in terms of invading your safe place. No other enemies except for blade fallens can be so moronic in making it so personal and close quarters.

Overall, I am still having issues with weaponry. I have a decent scout and pulse for PvE, and I got the low grade humillity sniper, but I am really missing a shotgun and a rocket launcher, making bosses extremely hard to kill.

-Warmind: Destiny add spawns can be very confusing. Sometimes they spawn continuously on a timer until you meet some criteria, sometimes only in finite groups. My memory is that most story missions use the latter method so you can take your time clearing them out one by one. One tip is that those vestige circles never actually kill you, they stop damaging you after breaking your shields (of course the enemies can kill you then).

-For the Urn, the reason I like it so much is also why it would be frustrating for newer players. It forces you to be really dynamic, to use the sword for mobility and evasion. Looks a little like this:

yNQoAR.gif

A tip here is that you can finish that entire part using only the swords, don't have to use your guns at all.

(side note: That gif made me realize I could farm Ogre Grimoire kills there. Probably not faster than Shrine of Oryx farming since Ogres are the final wave, but holy cow that would be more fun.)

-Skolas: Pay attention to where enemies are leashed and how to manipulate their aggro to pull them where you want (i.e. exactly what you said about retreating etc). Different enemies have different behaviors, which can also vary between encounters. Thralls are more aggressive just like you said, but they still de-aggro and fall back to their leashed zone if you can retreat far enough.

Most enemies have a proximity aggro that will override their leashing if you stay too close to them (i.e. Sword Bearer in Crota encounter, which you haven't seen yet). Learn where the nearest "exits" are for tough encounters, often it'll be wherever you entered the area. Then don't be afraid to high-tail it if things get hectic which should pull the enemies back into their leashed zones and give you a breather.

Like you said, better weapons will make a huge difference just by themselves. Hopefully this post is actually helpful and not too much crazy rambling, haha.

I'll never understand why the Destiny competitive community insists on calling scrims "sweaties". Sweaty was always someone who tried too hard in a pub game (like switching to Truth for heavy in Destiny for example). And why the hell has "one shot" become "absolute"? It's an unnecessary extra syllable goddammit!

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
You reroll or was that the stock drop? I have mine with battle runner and hidden hand...haven't rerolled due to weapon parts

Haha, I spent like 60+ weapons parts to get that. I had a few other ones I thought about keeping. I was torn on whether to do Hidden Hand or Headseeker. I knew I wanted 3rd as I don't think reload speed is an issue with this gun. The internet consensus seemed to be that it was too accurate for Headseeker to proc reliably. I have the same roll on an Allfate and it shoots like a laser too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom