• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

noomi

Probably input lag.

Anyone else find it weird to move from a small screen (19") to a huge one (42")? Everything looks nicer but in the crucible i swear my reactions area so much slower

Yup, that's probably exactly what's causing it, and the reason I no longer use my PS4 on my LED HDTV.

Computer monitors usually have an input lag of 5mx and under, while most HDTV's have 30ms+

You could go into your TV's options and see if there is a game-mode that you can enable, however it will never be as good as a monitor :(

Oh shit! No way! That's some terrible news indeed, he wasn't even that old, in his 50's I believe :(

Sad...

deadduck

Anyone else find it weird to move from a small screen (19") to a huge one (42")? Everything looks nicer but in the crucible i swear my reactions area so much slower

I changed from a 50" plasma with horrible display lag (50ms+)to a 46" Sony W905a (under 20ms) for that very reason. Some big screens are still good for gaming, most are terrible.

Kwakye94

Neo Member
Probably input lag.

I changed from a 50" plasma with horrible display lag (50ms+)to a 46" Sony W905a (under 20ms) for that very reason. Some big screens are still good for gaming, most are terrible.

Yup, that's probably exactly what's causing it, and the reason I no longer use my PS4 on my LED HDTV.

Computer monitors usually have an input lag of 5mx and under, while most HDTV's have 30ms+

You could go into your TV's options and see if there is a game-mode that you can enable, however it will never be as good as a monitor :(

Poop, I knew something was up, thanks anyway

Lnkn52

Flawless Raider #2 for the day is in the bag. Took slightly longer than it should have thanks to me pulling one of the scrubbiest fucking moves in my Destiny career but everyone played great and we knocked it out no problem. Great job everyone, congrats to the new flawless DGAF'ers and soon to be new GLords!

There's been a flux of new GLORDS, I see why. :p

GutZ31

Poop, I knew something was up, thanks anyway

The worst part is that most manufacturers make no effort in giving info on input lag, as it isn't a trendy topic for selling TVs.

Refresh rate, clear view, smooth motion have nothing to do with input lag btw, so don't even try to go by those metrics.

Nuszka

Depends on the TV , I have a 47 inch lg which I purchased with low input lag in mind, so mine is around 20-25 Ms depending on the type of test it has been checked. Stay away from any Samsung TVs as the have a terrible input lag generally. If I would be getting a TV try checking out sonys end 2013 models but not the top range , series 8 and 7 some of them have input lag as low as 7 Ms and that is for 46 inch models which is crazy good.

I have a 27" 2ms gaming monitor but can't be bothered, I play on my 55" bravia. Just switching to the monitor will improve my pvp game a lot but I just don't want to do it, big screen so good. :p

GamingKaiju

Hi D-GAF!

So I've gotten 3 Characters to lvl 33/34 and I've just recently gotten into the PVP part of destiny. I've had the Thorn bounty come up a few times but never picked it up because I didn't play a lot of Crucible.

However I'm sick to death of being killed by this weapon so I'm going to join them.

My question is how do I get the bounty pop up now?

My Vanguard rank is 9\Dead Orbit is 4.

noomi

Hi D-GAF!

So I've gotten 3 Characters to lvl 33/34 and I've just recently gotten into the PVP part of destiny. I've had the Thorn bounty come up a few times but never picked it up because I didn't play a lot of Crucible.

However I'm sick to death of being killed by this weapon so I'm going to join them.

It's all by chance for the bounty, when you hand in x amount of bounties to the vaunguard/crucible people it has a chance to give you the thorn bounty and 2 others.

Nuszka

Hi D-GAF!

Normal vanguard bounties , bring them in , pray to rngesus.

GutZ31

Hi D-GAF!

Turn in a bunch of bounties all at once everyday, it will happen.

GamingKaiju

It's all by chance for the bounty, when you hand in x amount of bounties to the vaunguard/crucible people it has a chance to give you the thorn bounty and 2 others.

So it will still pop up for me despite me having a high rank\never picking it up?

I really want to goto Mercury.

GutZ31

So it will still pop up for me despite me having a high rank\never picking it up?

Its random as hell, it only matters that you are higher than level 3 with the vanguard.

Edit: On a regular bases, I delete the exotic bounties that pop for me, as I already have everything that I could make from them already.

nOoblet16

I know exactly what you are talking about but it is not input lag. You are used to the smaller screen rather than bigger and one of the difference comes from the fact that the pixel size is larger on the TV than it is on your 19 inch screen as everything has a larger surface area on a bigger screen. For instance, the distance between two objects on your monitor could be 2 cm, while on the big screen it would be 4-5cm. In terms of ingame distance they are both exactly the same distance apart regardless of what they are displayed on. But in the real world, on your screen itself they are different, they are further apart when viewed on a TV than they are when viewed on a small monitor and as it covers a larger area in the bigger screen it may appears slower on on the smaller screen it appears faster.

The other difference comes from the fact that you now have a much larger area to pay attention at compared to a monitor as such your eye movement will be longer than what it would be on a small monitor.

Lastly, it can also be due to the distance you are playing it from.

To put it simply, it's only because you are used to playing on a smaller screen, not because of input lag and here is why input lag argument doesn't work. For a game like Destiny 30ms of input lag will have little to no effect as it's still less than one frame. You also have something between 100-120ms of input lag due to your controller, which is between 3-4 frames. Then there is the latency lag due to network connection in crucible which can be anything from 1 frame to 5 frames.

You would gain nothing by cutting that 20-30ms of input lag, any difference you notice would be purely placebo because Destiny does not have the frame rate, nor is the type of game where one frame would make a tremendous difference. TVs have input lag due to the post processing involved but they are not 50ms, especially if you use game mode which disables all the post processing.

deadduck

Did you finish all the story missions on all characters? I never finished it on my Titan, think I can still get the Stranger's Rifle on that character.

Yep, all done, I only keep one of each weapon (ghorn and tomorrow's answer aside) and I got rid of it in during TDB to make space :(

I've got Hopskotch, messengers, skorris, but that seems to wreck in regular crucible faster than anything!

noomi

Since I’ve done just about everything I needed/wanted to do in Destiny I am now on the hunt for ghosts that I’ve missed. Already got the 50 ghosts trophy and now all I’m missing to hit Platinum is mastering a Warlock subclass…. Damnit…maybe one day. I want to be on that list :*(

Should have my grimoire up to the 3500’s by the end of the day though which is nice :D

Liamc723

Hey DestinyGAF,

I bought Destiny on release, completed the story, and sold it about a week or two later. I was disappointed by the lack of content.

Now, I'm thinking of trying to getting back into it along with the 2 expansions. The problem I have is, I only have 1 friend that really plays Destiny. So as a singleplayer experience and possibly 1 other person to play with, is it even worth it to me? Will I be locked out of a lot of content?

GutZ31

I know exactly what you are talking about but it is not input lag. You are used to the smaller screen rather than bigger and one of the difference comes from the fact that the pixel size is larger on the TV than it is on your 19 inch screen as everything has a larger surface area on a bigger screen. For instance, the distance between two objects on your monitor could be 2 cm, while on the big screen it would be 4-5cm. In terms of ingame distance they are both exactly the same distance apart regardless of what they are displayed on. But in the real world, on your screen itself they are different, they are further apart when viewed on a TV than they are when viewed on a small monitor and as it covers a larger area in the bigger screen it may appears slower on on the smaller screen it appears faster.

The other difference comes from the fact that you now have a much larger area to pay attention at compared to a monitor as such your eye movement will be longer than what it would be on a small monitor.

Lastly, it can also be due to the distance you are playing it from.

To put it simply, it's only because you are used to playing on a smaller screen, not because of input lag and here is why input lag argument doesn't work. For a game like Destiny 30ms of input lag will have little to no effect as it's still less than one frame. You also have something between 100-120ms of input lag due to your controller, which is between 3-4 frames. Then there is the latency lag due to network connection in crucible which can be anything from 1 frame to 5 frames.

You would gain nothing by cutting that 20-30ms of input lag, any difference you notice would be purely placebo because Destiny does not have the frame rate, nor is the type of game where one frame would make a tremendous difference. TVs have input lag due to the post processing involved but they are not 50ms, especially if you use game mode which disables all the post processing.

This is all true, but you neglect to point out that some people are more sensitive to noticing latency than others.

People who grew up on fighting games in the NES/SEGA/Arcade age usually have twitch response that lead to them noticing lag more easily than others.
anything under 40ms from a TV is usually "ok" for gaming, but there are LCD/LED TVs that have upwards of 75ms desplay lag.

Anyone could feel that with a side by side comparison.

Hey DestinyGAF,

I bought Destiny on release, completed the story, and sold it about a week or two later. I was disappointed by the lack of content.

Now, I'm thinking of trying to getting back into it along with the 2 expansions. The problem I have is, I only have 1 friend that really plays Destiny. So as a singleplayer experience and possibly 1 other person to play with, is it even worth it to me? Will I be locked out of a lot of content?

If you are playing Destiny as a single player experience, look elsewhere.
Worst single player game for content.

That being said;
Why you don't like GAF players? You too good for us?
J/K :p
Destiny is fun with the right players to play with, but you have to be willing to play with others in the first place.

Shito

Hey DestinyGAF,

You have a GAF account, which means you are a lucky person: you get to access the best community there is! :)
If posting here to ask for help or just browsing the topic to jump into people' games don't bother you, then consider you have a great pool of people to run content with already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom