• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it the same for like every franchise ever?

At some point they have to decide to not support old consoles, Halo 5 is not going to be on Xbox 360 despite them having an engine that can run on Xbox 360 and they could certainly make more money if it was on both consoles...but it would've hurt the game they were trying to make.
We don't know as many details about Halo's development compared to Destiny's, but Destiny had years of development behind it to update the engine and build one that was capable for old and new gen. I don't know if you have played a lot of Xbox 360 or PS3 Destiny, but they are just as fantastic as playing on PS4 or Xbox One.

Lnkn52

Destiny 2 is required. You still aren't looking at the big picture. This is all about money. DLC doesn't make as much money as a major retail release. Think of all the people who were soured by destiny and left the game before all the fixes came out. People who didn't like the first game are much more likely to come back for Destiny 2 if it gets good press. Its gonna happen.

I think it will come sooner than later. As soon as one developer starts releaasing DLC for Next Gen (Dragon Age) only, other will follow.

Homeboyd

Destiny 2 is required. You still aren't looking at the big picture. This is all about money. DLC doesn't make as much money as a major retail release. Think of all the people who were soured by destiny and left the game before all the fixes came out. People who didn't like the first game are much more likely to come back for Destiny 2 if it gets good press. Its gonna happen.
TTK has a physical copy, with its own CE and its own console... and it is a major retail release.

If it was $60, you'd be calling this "Destiny 2."

I think "Destiny 2" will just be an addition to the current game.

The same way MMO's work where you buy WoW and then all the expansions.

So everything in game now, will be accessible in Destiny 2, on top of all the new stuff.

That's what I'd want anyway. Would have so much content that way imo, and it allows new players to be able to join the journey from the start rather than mid way through.

It takes 30 seconds to pop a heavy synth on last gen. Yeah good enough reason to send it to die.
I did forget about this. Yes, the menus load slowly, so switching abilities, weapons, and armor on the fly can be a pain.

I don't know if anyone actually believes this, but just in case, there will be no product called "Destiny 2".

Nah.

360 and PS3 made up way less sales than PS4 or XB1.

There is a high adoption rate for the latest console gen (I wouldn't even call it new anymore, almost 2 years old).

I'm 100% sure Destiny 2 in Sept 2016 will be current gen only.
100% sure, lol. C'mon.

nOoblet16

We don't know as many details about Halo's development compared to Destiny's, but Destiny had years of development behind it to update the engine and build one that was capable for old and new gen. I don't know if you have played a lot of Xbox 360 or PS3 Destiny, but they are just as fantastic as playing on PS4 or Xbox One.

It looks ok but you know the reason for low vault space? It's last gen consoles.
There are other factors that limit the game due to its last gen roots such as loading between game worlds, player count in social space as well as patrol space.

For instance every time you enter a new area in the game the game world loads up which leads to a reloading of the people that are in you in that world, you may have two fireteams formed with a group of friends and meet up together but soon as one team leaves an area they will lose contact with the other team.

The world cam be more populated with other things and events at the same time etc etc. It's not just about the visuals.

I thoroughly enjoy Trials so much I'm still debating on getting Destiny 2 for the xb1 just to make a Hunter to have fun on xbox land PvP.

And then I remember I don't have spare Strange Coins, Etheric Light and Armor Cores since no Alts obviously. I just want as many chances as playing competitive PvP as I can get.

I'll let my nephews do the grinding on there haha

We don't.

I imagine that critical components will be taken from destiny 1 such as the tower. They will probably use that asset again and add some more stuff to it.

Is it so bad to have new missons and not have those old ones? You can always go back to destiny 1 to play that stuff if you miss it in this scenario.

This is all speculation of course. It could be that destiny 2 is just a expansion that is bigger than the base game. I don't really see that happening though. I bet that we are just getting a brand new game eventually. It will probably be a trilogy with dlc in-between major releases.

I kinda wish theyd just keep this as a Hub and keep adding. Just like MMOs.

The game isn't lacking content, atleast not now. And they'd be better off using the disc space and memory for other things.
The way I see them doing it is that up until Destiny 2 everything you want to play is on the first game's disc, you buy the 2nd game for even more stuff and to play with the same characters.

What I am curious about is how are they going to manage progression for people who only join in Destiny 2 ? I will already be level 36 or something when I play the first mission of Destiny 2 but someone else who never played the first game and its expansions will be level 1.

Im curious too.

Mindlog

What is the claw grip?
Claw grip is what happens when controllers don't evolve for a decade >:[
I hate claw. Hate it. Well I don't hate the use of claw or anything like that. I hate that claw is necessary. I've had to use claw occasionally in other games.

Really bums me out that Sony won't have its own counterpart to the XBOX Elite controller.

I use jumper and I'm tempted to switch grenade with slide in the OS, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of changing that every time I want to do something else.
I'll let my nephews do the grinding on there haha
Yup.

zewone

I did forget about this. Yes, the menus load slowly, so switching abilities, weapons, and armor on the fly can be a pain.

I don't know if anyone actually believes this, but just in case, there will be no product called "Destiny 2".

100% sure, lol. C'mon.

You sound like someone playing on last gen. Let it go, buddy. :D

I am 100% sure, doesn't mean I can't be wrong, but I have no doubt in my mind.

GhaleonEB

A large, annual re-release ala the Taken King will be sufficient for a retail presence. And one of those (hopefully, 2016's) is probably where they will branch off new content support for the last gen systems. That would enable Bungie to build new spaces and experiences specific to the newer platforms. They may want to run with two full years/releases on old gen, though, depending on the next gen crossover.

It looks ok but you know the reason for low vault space? It's last gen consoles.
There are other factors that limit the game due to its last gen roots such as loading between game worlds, player count in social space as well as patrol space.

For instance every time you enter a new area in the game the game world loads up which leads to a reloading of the people that are in you in that world, you may have two fireteams formed with a group of friends and meet up together but soon as one team leaves an area they will lose contact with the other team.

The world cam be more populated with other things and events at the same time etc etc. It's not just about the visuals.
I'm not saying the game couldn't be expanded if they dropped old gen. I just don't think it's going to happen as quickly as we all might like. Bungie and Activision have data on how many people are playing on each platform, so they'll make a calculated decision on when and how to drop the old gen. Also, the overall design of the world plays into these decisions. I doubt we're ever going to leave behind the existing spaces.

Isn't it the same for like every franchise ever?

At some point they have to decide to not support old consoles, Halo 5 is not going to be on Xbox 360 despite them having an engine that can run on Xbox 360 and they could certainly make more money if it was on both consoles...but it would've hurt the game they were trying to make.
It certainly looks like an Xbox 360 game.

You sound like someone playing on last gen. Let it go, buddy. :D

I am 100% sure, doesn't mean I can't be wrong, but I have no doubt in my mind.
Saying you have no doubt in your mind just means you haven't given it enough thought. I can't stand it when people have this attitude. I don't even claim to be 100% sure of things I know are true.

I am playing on all four consoles. There are dear friends and family that I am not going to just let go. They haven't upgraded consoles yet, but if you're going to ask them to do it for Destiny, you have to ask at the right time and in the right way.

It certainly looks like an Xbox 360 game.
HIYOOOOOOOOOH

Actually, I watching some footage of Warzone this weekend and it doesn't look, sound, or feel like Halo anymore. RIP in peace, Halo.

nOoblet16

What is the right time to upgrade a decade old machine? When the new machine has been out for 2 years (3 when Destiny 2 comes out).
There will always be people reluctant to move to newer consoles unless they can get one for 100-150 bucks, you can't possibly wait for that.

Claw grip is what happens when controllers don't evolve for a decade >:[
I hate claw. Hate it. Well I don't hate the use of claw or anything like that. I hate that claw is necessary. I've had to use claw occasionally in other games.

Really bums me out that Sony won't have its own counterpart to the XBOX Elite controller.

I use jumper and I'm tempted to switch grenade with slide in the OS, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of changing that every time I want to do something else.

Yup.

Why do you need official support with an elite controller?
Just get a SCUF mod, same shit almost.

kiguel182

What if Destiny 1 wasn't Destiny "1" ...?

I don't see why releases like TTK can't be the future of Destiny. New content, QOL updates, etc... Why does the game have to have a "2" on the box?

Yeah, I agree with this.

No need for Destiny 2. Just more expansions, with them eventually cutting out last gen for a bigger expansion or something.

They should play this like WoW instead of CoD.

The only problem is that a Destiny 2 would probably help sales more than just an expansion.

zewone

Saying you have no doubt in your mind just means you haven't given it enough thought. I can't stand it when people have this attitude. I don't even claim to be 100% sure of things I know are true.

I am playing on all four consoles. There are dear friends and family that I am not going to just let go. They haven't upgraded consoles yet, but if you're going to ask them to do it for Destiny, you have to ask at the right time and in the right way.

If you don't like my stance or attitude that sounds like a personal problem. Bungie shouldn't be held back from creating new/better experiences for us because a few of your friends can't be bothered to buy a new console.

Daemul

Even though it doesn't affect me at all since I'm not a collector and my vault is practically empty, shit like vault space wouldn't be such a problem if Bungie didn't seem so hellbent on displaying every single item in the vault all at once in that fancy 3D overlay of theirs.

HIYOOOOOOOOOH

Actually, I watching some footage of Warzone this weekend and it doesn't look, sound, or feel like Halo anymore. RIP in peace, Halo.

They've mentioned "build branches" before. I wonder if going forward after TTK , they could release major expansions/sequels on current gen only, but use some of those assets for a "last gen branch" and release them as minor expansions.

kiguel182

A large, annual re-release ala the Taken King will be sufficient for a retail presence. And one of those (hopefully, 2016's) is probably where they will branch off new content support for the last gen systems. That would enable Bungie to build new spaces and experiences specific to the newer platforms. They may want to run with two full years/releases on old gen, though, depending on the next gen crossover.

Yeah, they have retail presence anyway with the expansions and can present them as a better and bigger experience than vanilla Destiny.

But they are in an interesting position in the ay they monetise this. It's a weird hybrid between an MMO and COD.

As a player I rather have expansions than sequels at least. Build on what they have instead of "restarting" every two years.

Homeboyd

The only problem is that a Destiny 2 would probably help sales more than just an expansion.
Agreed 100%. If the next "game/expansion" a year from now was planned to be called, "Destiny: The Traveler's Demise" or something, even if on the same level as a TTK "expansion", it would do much better if they threw a "2" in there. But it is no way needed in terms of evolving the game or leaving last gen behind. That was my point to Todd.

I think we're already there with TTK, but certainly don't see them removing the ability to go back and call a future "game/expansion" something with a 2 in it to capture those sales.

What is the right time to upgrade a decade old machine? When the new machine has been out for 2 years (3 when Destiny 2 comes out).
There will always be people reluctant to move to newer consoles unless they can get one for 100-150 bucks, you can't possibly wait for that.
Well, I don't think anyone expects them to drop old gen during year 2, but I think saying year 3 is new gen only is jumping the gun. As I said, they'll do it based on the data they have, and they'll probably come up with some clever ways of motivating people to make the switch to the newer generation.

They've mentioned "build branches" before. I wonder if going forward after TTK , they could release major expansions/sequels on current gen only, but use some of those assets for a "last gen branch" and release them as minor expansions.
It's an interesting notion and could explain High Moon Studios' involvement. Well, I'm already set if they start having exclusive content across generations, lol.

GhaleonEB

What if Destiny 1 wasn't Destiny "1" ...?

I don't see why releases like TTK can't be the future of Destiny. New content, QOL updates, etc... Why does the game have to have a "2" on the box?

Aye. The kind of investments Bungie is making to the original content - UI updates, reorganizing the campaigns, etc. - scream long term planning to me. You don't do that only to drop the game a year later and move on. I think Destiny's future is much more akin to WoW than Halo.
Well, I don't think anyone expects them to drop old gen during year 2, but I think saying year 3 is new gen only is jumping the gun. As I said, they'll do it based on the data they have, and they'll probably come up with some clever ways of motivating people to make the switch to the newer generation.

It's an interesting notion and could explain High Moon Studios' involvement.

Worth noting here, Bungie already has the digital upgrade program which is free, along with all the expansions. IIRC, it's now temperament, despite the language on that page about it being for a limited time.

JTripper

Anyone need to do the Daily Heroic? I'm doing it on hard but on my 27 alt (w/ max weapons) that I need xp for and I can't finish it alone. It would be awesome if anyone just jumped in and helped me finish it.

I'm on PS4 also. PSN is JxOxHxNxSxOxN

Aye. The kind of investments Bungie is making to the original content - UI updates, reorganizing the campaigns, etc. - scream long term planning to me. You don't do that only to drop the game a year later and move on. I think Destiny's future is much more akin to WoW than Halo.

God i hope your right.

zewone

They already offered free upgrades from PS3-PS4 and 360-XB1 during the first few months of Destiny.

At the most they'd offer this same deal again, but they really have no need to do this.

They sold you and your friends a game for $60 in 2013. They don't have to cater to you until 2017. They have no obligations other than to show you something you want to play in Desitny 2. It's up to your and your friends if that experience looks worthwhile enough to purchase a new system for. They don't need anything clever.

HIYOOOOOOOOOH

No one is asking them to upgrade for destiny. If they don't upgrade, they just won't play. I promise you worse things have happened.

Like I said earlier, MS and Sony will pay Activision to only put it out for current gen in order to force the consumers' hand. Money talks. They don't have to worry about feelings and doing things the right way.

They already offered free upgrades from PS3-PS4 and 360-XB1 during the first few months of Destiny.

At the most they'd offer this same deal again, but they really have no need to do this.

They sold you and your friends a game for $60 in 2013. They don't have to cater to you until 2017. They have no obligations other than to show you something you want to play in Desitny 2. It's up to your and your friends if that experience looks worthwhile enough to purchase a new system for. They don't need anything clever.

No one is asking them to upgrade for destiny. If they don't upgrade, they just won't play. I promise you worse things have happened.

Like I said earlier, MS and Sony will pay Activision to only put it out for current gen in order to force the consumers' hand. Money talks. They don't have to worry about feelings and doing things the right way.

First of all, they're not going to shut down Destiny on the old gen right away, even if new content is new gen only, so people will continue to play.

Second of all, I'm not saying they have to, I'm saying they'll want to. Activision and Bungie will want to retain as much of their player base as possible when switching gens.

E92 M3

Whatever Destiny 2 is, Bungie will have to make sure that the majority of the playerbase follow, otherwise their model won't work.

I think it will be something akin to TTK.

First of all, they're not going to shut down Destiny on the old gen right away, even if new content is new gen only, so people will continue to play.

Second of all, I'm not saying they have to, I'm saying they'll want to. Activision and Bungie will want to retain as much of their player base as possible when switching gens.

I'm saying between some good deals, brute force, and dollar bills, Activision will be led to believe that won't be a problem.

And if it is, Sony/MS will cut a large enough check to make it not a problem. They want to move as many current gen consoles as possible and will have no problem cutting a rather immaterially-sized check to a much smaller entity to make that happen.

kiguel182

Agreed 100%. If the next "game/expansion" a year from now was planned to be called, "Destiny: The Traveler's Demise" or something, even if on the same level as a TTK "expansion", it would do much better if they threw a "2" in there. But it is no way needed in terms of evolving the game or leaving last gen behind. That was my point to Todd.

I think we're already there with TTK, but certainly don't see them removing the ability to go back and call a future "game/expansion" something with a 2 in it to capture those sales.

I agree with you in terms of marketing but, in a way, calling something a sequel has some implications that I don't think the game needs. Like a complete reinvention or gigantic leap while the MMO structure benefits way more from the type of updates they are doing. You don't want to have to relearn the game after putting two years in it.

Also a sequel usually means totally different content and I don't think getting rid of the content they have now would be good for the game at all.

It's complicated. I guess we'll have to wait one year to find out.

Deku Tree

Worth noting here, Bungie already has the digital upgrade program which is free, along with all the expansions. IIRC, it's now temperament, despite the language on that page about it being for a limited time.

I'm Ok with that... but I don't care to be playing the same old strikes as NF and Weeklies on the regular for much longer and I won't be entertained by patrolling the same old cosmodrome and Venus etc either for much longer... and making everything "Tooken" or adding some other "spice" to the same old strikes each year is not going to be enough to keep my attention either... and one new playable space each year like "The dreadnought" in Sept's TTK is not going to be enough to keep my attention either...

the game needs a lot more than that in order to be sustainable over the long term. The game needs updates that contain more content than Vanilla Destiny did at least every other year... and they need some way to phase out the old content in the NF and Weeklies after they get stale.

Daemul

Yeah, I don't think a Destiny 2 as such is happening, I see something akin to TTK being the model Bungie uses, similar what Blizzard does with WoW.

Welp, I'm now an official xbox one owner of the game.

I hate setting screen bounds. I hope in the future they'll have it either auto detect or have a list for all tvs haha.

Now my nephews have a game they can mess with.

Xbros.

Deku Tree

Also Destiny needs a much better system for Vault Space and Weapons. Destiny needs big updates that contain a lot of new weapons.

But with the difficulty in obtaining the best weapons, and with the periodic weapons balancing patching that make some previously terrible weapons OP and at the same time majorly nerf other weapons then nobody wants to just shard any really hard to obtain weapon.

So they need to give us lots of new weapons, but they don't want to take away the old ones, and they don't want to give us more vault space because it is a big cost on their storage servers. So I look forward to hearing their plans.

EDIT: Top of page gif for Luke Smith:

1323642517223.gif

phen0m24

Welp, I'm now an official xbox one owner of the game.

I hate setting screen bounds. I hope in the future they'll have it either auto detect or have a list for all tvs haha.

Now my nephews have a game they can mess with.

Xbros.

Waves

Hit level 21 last night. Was funny thinking about getting blues as good and not weapon parts. Then realizing I need weapon parts.

See ya online bud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom