• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lnkn52

Anyone of you PVP ringers use Kontrol Freeks? Do they make a big difference?

Didn't know they were a thing until I watched this Planet Destiny video a/b Target Aquisition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY_qK0ooDo8

This is my setup:
http://kotaku.com/i-finally-got-my-ps4-controller-how-i-like-it-1677856164
t95pj2mq24gas5m6s7pv.png

I'm no PvP Ringer, but I like it adds a bit of more grips to the sticks especially in sweaty situations.

Kyoufu

I can't use DS4s without the ORB grips. Makes a world of a difference.

Considering a Scuf controller but I'd like trigger stops which they don't offer I don't think.

nOoblet16

Anyone of you PVP ringers use Kontrol Freeks? Do they make a big difference?

Didn't know they were a thing until I watched this Planet Destiny video a/b Target Aquisition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY_qK0ooDo8

I think those make minimal differences and it will have negative consequences elsewhere. It will improve your sniping slightly but it might mess up your primary game by quite a bit. It's similar to playing the game on low sensitivity that helps sniping but makes your close quarter game.

The two most important control related things that people can do/get imo is:

1) Switch to jumper, if you aren't playing jumper then you shouldn't even be looking into controller mods as the advantage you would gain from most of the mods would not be as significant as the advantage jumper control brings.

2) The SCUF paddles (with jumper controls), I think this is the most useful controller mod you can get that has quite a big impact on your gameplay, using these with Jumper controls you can aim while you jump, slide or revive....and can do them in immediate succession. Although you do not need this if you use the claw grip like Unstable.

Deku Tree

I think those make minimal differences and it will have negative consequences elsewhere. It will improve your sniping slightly but it might mess up your primary game by quite a bit.

1) Switch to jumper, if you aren't playing jumper then you shouldn't even be looking into controller mods as the advantage you would gain from most of the mods would not be as significant as the advantage jumper control brings.

2) The paddles, I think this is the most useful controller mod you can get that has quite a big impact on your gameplay, using these you can aim while you jump, slide or revive..and can do them in immediate succession. Although you do not need this if you use the claw grip like Unstable.

What is the claw grip?

zewone

Same way it works now. Now if you have the CE with the CE Ghost and you log into your PSN account on someone else's console who doesn't have the CE then your Ghost is greyed out and you can't equip it.

Bungie is already using this Tech when they Ban people from ToO Bungie has grey'ed out all of their ToO gear and prevented them from using it.

Looks like when you have Warlock gear on your Titan or level 20 gear on your low level character.

I see. I guess that would work.

Homeboyd

It is. They won't drop current gen until Destiny 2 I think.

I still see it as a real expansion. More like Destiny 1.5

I think Destiny 2 will be a thing. They can't go 10 years just doing expansions for Destiny 1
What if Destiny 1 wasn't Destiny "1" ...?

I don't see why releases like TTK can't be the future of Destiny. New content, QOL updates, etc... Why does the game have to have a "2" on the box?

LTWood12

I got the FPS Freek CQC and KontrolFreek Classic so I could try out the different heights. Ended up puting the shorter one on my left stick and taller one on my right. I'm very happy with them, actually.

This is my setup:
http://kotaku.com/i-finally-got-my-ps4-controller-how-i-like-it-1677856164
t95pj2mq24gas5m6s7pv.png

I'm no PvP Ringer, but I like it adds a bit of more grips to the sticks especially in sweaty situations.

I think those make minimal differences and it will have negative consequences elsewhere. It will improve your sniping slightly but it might mess up your primary game by quite a bit. It's similar to playing the game on low sensitivity that helps sniping but makes your close quarter game.

2) The SCUF paddles (with jumper controls), I think this is the most useful controller mod you can get that has quite a big impact on your gameplay, using these with Jumper controls you can aim while you jump, slide or revive....and can do them in immediate succession. Although you do not need this if you use the claw grip like Unstable.

Thanks for the input folks. I keep going back & forth on jumper. Guess I just need to stick w/ it.

Lima

I can't use DS4s without the ORB grips. Makes a world of a difference.

Considering a Scuf controller but I'd like trigger stops which they don't offer I don't think.

Trigger stops are terrible for Destiny. With the extreme setting on the Scuf using the pro trigger stops you can't even shoot a gun in Destiny. You can only aim and it will span the trigger but you can't actually fire your gun.

Even if not using the extremest setting you can forget fan fire on TLW or auto fire on VoC and other full auto weapons.

todd360

What if Destiny 1 wasn't Destiny "1" ...?

I don't see why releases like TTK can't be the future of Destiny. New content, QOL updates, etc... Why does the game have to have a "2" on the box?

So they can charge $60 dollars again. So the game isn't held back by last gen anymore. So we can get some real changes in destiny. There are many reasons. The future of destiny is main installments and expansions for 10 years.

Lnkn52

This is awkward looking thing.

This grip provides you the most functionality when used with jumper controls, but can be avoided if you get the SCUF paddles.

Ha, look at that. I never switched over to Jumper because I'm not a fan of the melee on R3. This would work.

noomi

This is awkward looking thing.

This grip provides you the most functionality when used with jumper controls, but can be avoided if you get the SCUF paddles.

Wow.... that looks insanely uncomfortable.... I'm perfectly fine using default controls... I know jumper seems to be the way to go if you want to aim in the air and all that but I just can't unlearn what I know.

nOoblet16

Wow.... that looks insanely uncomfortable.... I'm perfectly fine using default controls... I know jumper seems to be the way to go if you want to aim in the air and all that but I just can't unlearn what I know.
It is uncomfortable but if you are used to it, then you should be ok.
Unstable has been using it since Halo 2 so it's the only way he plays.

I on the other hand can't be arsed with that but jumper control on the other hands are easy to learn. Getting used to jumper doesn't take long, it took me a few matches. Although it did take me a few days to not press X and use my super accidentally. Now it's second nature, despite the fact that I still use normal control for other games.

Also it's not just aiming in air that you miss out on when you don't use jumper, one of the most important advantage of using jumper is the increased mobility and precision of your jumps allowing for a more fluid movement. And you most definitely should be using it if you want to ski with your titan/warlock.

So they can charge $60 dollars again. So the game isn't held back by last gen anymore. So we can get some real changes in destiny. There are many reasons. The future of destiny is main installments and expansions for 10 years.

Ya but that doesnt mean the current Destiny cant just be a "hub" that we use to access that future content. How would we go back to these missions with our level 50s if its a new disk?

Homeboyd

This is an important point. I think most believe this isn't a "Destiny 2" equivalent because it isn't a full $60 with 4 new planets, etc... We don't know a ton about TTK yet, but I don't think there's any reason why content can't be delivered like it currently is throughout the 10 year plan.

To me, there is no difference in a TTK-like release and Destiny 2, especially if TTK had a $60 price tag and perhaps a few more locations (though we still don't know everything TTK has to offer).

The "real changes" in Destiny are coming and have been coming for some time. Though I suppose a box with a "2" on it to feel more reassuring to people, though there is literally no difference. I just don't see the difference between a "main installment" and something like TTK other than if you're strictly comparing content from one to the next and expecting the next "main installment" to have equal locations or something. I think there's a lot in TTK we don't know about yet.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Pretty excited, got my Fang from Crota HM yesterday. Besides the crux, it was the only weapon that would just not drop for me from that raid. Also forgot what a pain in the ass that encounter can be, even if you've run it a bunch of times and know the strats.

Also since I just got my Elder Cipher, which weapon is the best reward? I don't plan on going doing this again lol.

Lima

Ya but that doesnt mean the current Destiny cant just be a "hub" that we use to access that future content. How would we go back to these missions with our level 50s if its a new disk?

You uh just don't? I certainly don't want to be running around the Cosmodrome next year in Destiny 2 if that is a thing.

nOoblet16

Well, not the same areas, but those and newer ones. I dont want them to remove content from a game thats already lacking in it.

The game isn't lacking content, atleast not now. And they'd be better off using the disc space and memory for other things.
The way I see them doing it is that up until Destiny 2 everything you want to play is on the first game's disc, you buy the 2nd game for even more stuff and to play with the same characters.

What I am curious about is how are they going to manage progression for people who only join in Destiny 2 ? I will already be level 36 or something when I play the first mission of Destiny 2 but someone else who never played the first game and its expansions will be level 1.

todd360

We don't.

I imagine that critical components will be taken from destiny 1 such as the tower. They will probably use that asset again and add some more stuff to it.

Is it so bad to have new missons and not have those old ones? You can always go back to destiny 1 to play that stuff if you miss it in this scenario.

This is all speculation of course. It could be that destiny 2 is just a expansion that is bigger than the base game. I don't really see that happening though. I bet that we are just getting a brand new game eventually. It will probably be a trilogy with dlc in-between major releases.

You uh just don't? I certainly don't want to be running around the Cosmodrome next year in Destiny 2 if that is a thing.

I do. I want 5 locations on earth, 2 on the moon, at least one on every planet and large moon, 3 space stations, an asteroid, the traveler, plus some more to roam over the ten years of destiny. I wouldn't mind seeing the current locations expanded with loading corridors removed once last gen is left behind.

Edit: I also think a procedurally generated space linking patrol areas on the same planet would be neat. That may be asking too much.

todd360

This is an important point. I think most believe this isn't a "Destiny 2" equivalent because it isn't a full $60 with 4 new planets, etc... We don't know a ton about TTK yet, but I don't think there's any reason why content can't be delivered like it currently is throughout the 10 year plan.

To me, there is no difference in a TTK-like release and Destiny 2, especially if TTK had a $60 price tag and perhaps a few more locations (though we still don't know everything TTK has to offer).

The "real changes" in Destiny are coming and have been coming for some time. Though I suppose a box with a "2" on it to feel more reassuring to people, though there is literally no difference. I just don't see the difference between a "main installment" and something like TTK other than if you're strictly comparing content from one to the next and expecting the next "main installment" to have equal locations or something. I think there's a lot in TTK we don't know about yet.

Your not looking at the big picture. We need a Destiny 2 if we are ever going to leave the old consoles behind. The old consoles are holding destiny back. There is so much that can be done in a Destiny 2 on current gen only. They can't just drop last gen support on the dlc for the first game. People will be pissed. We need a new game built from the ground up using assets from the first game to speed things up. I don't even know why we are arguing about this. Destiny 2 is much better for us the players than dlc bolted onto the first game for 10 years. This is a 10 year plan dude. That is a long time to be playing destiny 1 with new dlc every year.

Pretty excited, got my Fang from Crota HM yesterday. Besides the crux, it was the only weapon that would just not drop for me from that raid. Also forgot what a pain in the ass that encounter can be, even if you've run it a bunch of times and know the strats.

Also since I just got my Elder Cipher, which weapon is the best reward? I don't plan on going doing this again lol.

Congrats on the Fang, it's one of my favorite weapons and the first one I ascended. The queensbreaker bow is kind of fun in Crucible, and the Lord of Wolves is kind of fun in PvE. The queensbreaker bow is like a fast fusion rifle that requires headshots, and the Lord of Wolves is a shotgun that first in bursts like a pulse rifle. Neither of them are spectacular IMHO so your preference, but don't get the sidearm (Dreg's Promise I think) no matter what you do. I personally got the Queenbreaker first.

Dropping support for the old gen is essentially asking all PS3/360 players to buy a new console. They spent a lot of time and money building an engine that allows them to release content on both old and new gen consoles. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 360 and PS3 supported through year 4.

Lnkn52

Dropping support for the old gen is essentially asking all PS3/360 players to buy a new console. They spent a lot of time and money building an engine that allows them to release content on both old and new gen consoles. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 360 and PS3 supported through year 4.

omgwtf.gif

todd360

Dude its probably going to be 2017 by the time it comes out. Those people can upgrade or gtfo.

Thanks for the input folks. I keep going back & forth on jumper. Guess I just need to stick w/ it.

I got the kontrol freek combo pack on amazon for less than $20. Put the longer ones on and haven't taken them off since. Took a while to get used to but I think it's helped. I'm way better then I was before, but I've also played a bunch. I think they're worth picking up to see if you like it. I figured I was probably going to jack up my sticks from all my destiny playing anyways, might as well put something on it.

Dude its probably going to be 2017 by the time it comes out. Those people can upgrade or gtfo.
Those millions of people. This isn't like shutting down Halo 2 in 2010.

Also, what we've seen so far doesn't seem to deviate from the contract that was made public record. We had a major release (Destiny), DLC 1 (The Dark Below), DLC 2 (House of Wolves), and Comet #1 (The Taken King). We should see at least a DLC 3 and possibly DLC 4 before next major release (Destiny "2") in 2016.

Anastasis

So the Taken King being about Oryx, Crota's father, how about:

Destiny |OT25| Papa's Got a Brand New Game
Destiny |OT25| Daddy's Issues
Destiny |OT25| Dread? Not!
Destiny |OT25| Move over Liam, Oryx is the Taken King

Homeboyd

Your not looking at the big picture. We need a Destiny 2 if we are ever going to leave the old consoles behind. The old consoles are holding destiny back. There is so much that can be done in a Destiny 2 on current gen only. They can't just drop last gen support on the dlc for the first game. People will be pissed. We need a new game built from the ground up using assets from the first game to speed things up. I don't even know why we are arguing about this. Destiny 2 is much better for us the players than dlc bolted onto the first game for 10 years. This is a 10 year plan dude. That is a long time to be playing destiny 1 with new dlc every year.
My point is, why do you have to have a "2" on the box for last gen to be left behind? What if TTK was Xbone/PS4 only? Then would it be considered Destiny "2"?

Not arguing.. I just don't see why new assets, leaving last gen behind can't be done with a release similar to TTK with out putting a "2" on the box.

People are looking at TTK as "DLC" which it is technically, but it's much more than that. Unfortunately Activision/Bungie marketing haven't done a great job at explaining what it really is... yet.

You say "we need Destiny 2 if we are ever going to leave last gen behind." I'm saying you don't. This game will evolve over time, as we've seen it do already. I just don't think it's going to pan out like you think with this whole "Destiny 1, DLC, DLC, bigger DLC, DLC, DLC, Destiny 2... etc" because it doesn't need to in order to get where you think it needs to get. QOL patches and releases similar to TTK (with smaller DLC in between) are happening now that can get it there. No doubt last gen will be left behind, but that doesn't require releasing an expansion with a "2" on the box.. though I agree, it would probably boost sales.

nOoblet16

Isn't it the same for like every franchise ever?

At some point they have to decide to not support old consoles, Halo 5 is not going to be on Xbox 360 despite them having an engine that can run on Xbox 360 and they could certainly make more money if it was on both consoles...but it would've hurt the game they were trying to make.

zewone

Nah.

360 and PS3 made up way less sales than PS4 or XB1.

There is a high adoption rate for the latest console gen (I wouldn't even call it new anymore, almost 2 years old).

I'm 100% sure Destiny 2 in Sept 2016 will be current gen only.

todd360

My point is, why do you have to have a "2" on the box for last gen to be left behind? What if TTK was Xbone/PS4 only? Then would it be considered Destiny "2"?

Not arguing.. I just don't see why new assets, leaving last gen behind can't be done with a release similar to TTK with out putting a "2" on the box.

People are looking at TTK as "DLC" which it is technically, but it's much more than that. Unfortunately Activision/Bungie marketing haven't done a great job at explaining what it really is... yet.

You say "we need Destiny 2 if we are ever going to leave last gen behind." I'm saying you don't. This game will evolve over time, as we've seen it do already. I just don't think it's going to pan out like you think with this whole "Destiny 1, DLC, DLC, bigger DLC, DLC, DLC, Destiny 2... etc" because it doesn't need to in order to get where you think it needs to get. QOL patches and releases similar to TTK (with smaller DLC in between) are happening now that can get it there. No doubt last gen will be left behind, but that doesn't require releasing an expansion with a "2" on the box.. though I agree, it would probably boost sales.

Destiny 2 is required. You still aren't looking at the big picture. This is all about money. DLC doesn't make as much money as a major retail release. Think of all the people who were soured by destiny and left the game before all the fixes came out. People who didn't like the first game are much more likely to come back for Destiny 2 if it gets good press. Its gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom