• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namikaze1

nami where are you?

are we running nightfalls again tomorrow at reset? I need halp!
tumblr_me4eooFHiK1qabynso1_500.gif

tumblr_me4eooFHiK1qabynso2_500.gif

My services will be available at reset.

Namikaze1

They spoke about food to make it through.
Damn. I am not sure if I could talk about food for an hour or so.

On Reddit, a Bungie employee posted that the Necrochasm is beastly in the current TTK build.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/3co5ta/2_of_my_favourite_guns_are_peashooters_and_im_not/
I call bullshit! I won't believe it till I experience it. Nope, even seeing it in a vid won't do it for me.

The buff is finally coming ;__;

kiguel182

Destiny 2 is going to be a thing. Maybe they will have a subtitle instead of a 2, but it is coming and old gen isn't coming with it.

An expansion that cuts the old gen off would make sense too.

Making it cross gen for a game with a 10 year plan was a bad decision to begin with.

It is at least acknowledged that they know we want our ARs back! Hope is there.

A little bird told me that Necrochasm was stupidly good in the last internal Taken King playtest.

Ninja edit disclaimer before Deej wakes up and strangles me: The Taken King is a work in progress and things are still getting shuffled around. What I'm saying is that there is at least a version of the future where Necrochasm is much improved. Our sandbox design team really does love bullethoses, which is why there are so many in the game. :)

WipedOut

Damn. I am not sure if I could talk about food for an hour or so.

I call bullshit! I won't believe it till I experience it. Nope, even seeing it in a vid won't do it for me.

The buff is finally coming ;__;

I call shenanigans. No way is that thing ever going to be even decent.

OkayRene

I'm in the "Destiny 2" camp. The game is in need of technical improvement. I won't even touch vault space because that's basically the poster boy at this point.

I think the game world architecture and loading needs to be addressed. Not just load times, but if you're doing successive story missions on a given planet. It makes no sense to keep going back to Orbit, and then loading back in—sometimes in the same exact spot as the previous mission. Let us stay in the world, and activate multiple story missions from within.

Vehicle mechanics could use some improvement. This might actually be in-scope for DLC, but I think it's nuts that Destiny doesn't have any multi-person vehicles. Riding around with 3 people in a Warthog was incredibly fun in PvP or PvE, and there's no equivalent in Destiny. Beyond that, vehicles seem like such an after thought. In the campaign, I think there's only two instances of enemies in vehicles. First moon mission where Dregs are on bikes, and the Cabal major in the bank. Halo had so much maturity in this regard, where you could knock enemies off vehicles, or plant grenades—and this was like 8 years ago.

Destiny has a wonderful lighting system, it's the spot where the current-gen versions really shine over last-gen. Otherwise, a lot of the character modelling isn't very remarkable. It felt very last-gen the moment I played Destiny Alpha. I think they can stand to elevate the technical art with a proper current-gen only release.

I think those of us in the "Destiny 2" camp just want some fundamental software refactoring and improvements, which seems outside the scope of what DLC updates are for. I would hate to see more than a second year of DLC packs atop what I see is a game that could use some technical TLC from core engineers, and not just artists using Groknok.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
What game (sequal/MMO) has ever done what you're asking?

Each of WoW's expansions. Each of Everquest's expansions. Etc. etc. Which is what "Destiny 2" is going to be equivalent to.

What MMO sequel has come out two years after it's predecessor? The only difference is semantics.

Arrrammis

Regarding the subject in hand, Destiny 2.

If they keep going on with dlcs and expansion pack like many MMO's until when will they support the last gen?

Destiny 2 might be a new gen game only to force a clean and proper development. Considering the amount of players on the last gen, 2016 is far too soon.
This seems most likely, just redoing redoing the game to allow for things that they couldn't easily patch.

As far as last gen goes, I think they either need to drop last gen completely or forget about parity between gens, which is the real problem IMO. If last gen is holding current gen back, but you still want to develop content for both, it does not have to be perfectly equal! Current gen shouldn't get more missions or anything like that, but stuff like vault space should be a no-brainer. They already showed that they can do this kind of thing by removing the ability to compare weapons on last gen, so why not expand on it? If people on last gen systems complain, they can honestly say that it is the hardware constraints forcing the difference, rather than bungies plan of absolute parity, like it is now.

Tl;Dr holding back current gen consoles because of last gen "parity" is unfair and frustrating.

Kyne

Each of WoW's expansions. Each of Everquest's expansions. Etc. etc. Which is what "Destiny 2" is going to be equivalent to.

What MMO sequel has come out two years after it's predecessor? The only difference is semantics.

Except has it been stated anywhere that Destiny 2 is an expansion? And Destiny isn't an MMO. It's a console game.

All those examples posted are PC MMOS. Destiny 2 will be brand new so it can be bigger and in doing so it'll leave the last gen behind leaving any possibilities of it being an expansion to what's currently out.

flkraven

I think the game world architecture and loading needs to be addressed. Not just load times, but if you're doing successive story missions on a given planet. It makes no sense to keep going back to Orbit, and then loading back in—sometimes in the same exact spot as the previous mission. Let us stay in the world, and activate multiple story missions from within.

This is huge for me. Heck, things in general when you are 'on planet' should be more dynamic and user-friendly. If I'm about to run into an instanced-off mission zone, and I'm running right beside a guy that is about to do the same, why can't we seamlessly party and run into the mission together without having to go back to orbit? Seeing randoms running around and partying with them is a complete hassle, which isn't a great 'social' experience.

I genuinely forgot how satisfying Destiny is to play. Extra content to boot, as I got the expansion pass on sale. All for the princely sum of £5 after trade in credit at game.
Looking forward to playing with everyone :D

I suppose I can do one Trials ticket if anyone around still needs it. Would just be changing out my helmet, so I don't really care about flawless, though I will help all the way through if flawless is feasible.

flkraven

Could I get a few pointers for trials? Should I increase my sensitivity? Do I just need to learn the maps better? I rarely play in the crucible, but I'm always capable of being in the top half of the team, yet I have still never gotten more than 1 win on a damn ticket. Any advice would be appreciated. (On XB1 btw)

I suppose I can do one Trials ticket if anyone around still needs it. Would just be changing out my helmet, so I don't really care about flawless, though I will help all the way through if flawless is feasible.

I wouldn't mind running some trials either. I'm pretty good, but will have limited mic usage atm, so it's up to you if you want to take me. Didn't get flawless on my hunter yet this week, so that would be a plus.

chur

Wasn't there a Bungie-Activision contract that was leaked years ago? I'm pretty sure it stated a new game every 2-3 years with DLC sprinkled in between.

I think it'll be called Destiny 2 otherwise people might just think its another expansion.

Ken

Could I get a few pointers for trials? Should I increase my sensitivity? Do I just need to learn the maps better? I rarely play in the crucible, but I'm always capable of being in the top half of the team, yet I have still never gotten more than 1 win on a damn ticket. Any advice would be appreciated. (On XB1 btw)

It doesn't matter if you're always the top half of regular Crucible matches because no one cares in those.

Learn the maps (ammo spawns, player spawns, popular sniper points, etc.).

Play more Crucible to get more experience and familiarity with PvP. Also be hitting the PvP daily for coins.

Build a PvP/Trials load out (Exotic handcannon, well-rolled sniper rifle and shotgun, proximity rockets, and useful exotic armor). PVE warriors are almost always free wins for the other team.

Get a good team or a team you feel comfortable with.

Go in with a good attitude.

GhaleonEB

Wasn't there a Bungie-Activision contract that was leaked years ago? I'm pretty sure it stated a new game every 2-3 years with DLC sprinkled in between.

I think it'll be called Destiny 2 otherwise people might just think its another expansion.

Plans change - that was a long time ago. They already have, a few times over. That document is no longer a road map for the future of Destiny.

kiguel182

Except has it been stated anywhere that Destiny 2 is an expansion? And Destiny isn't an MMO. It's a console game.

All those examples posted are PC MMOS. Destiny 2 will be brand new so it can be bigger and in doing so it'll leave the last gen behind leaving any possibilities of it being an expansion to what's currently out.

Except Destiny is an MMO. At least it's partly an MMO.

Destiny has more in common with WoW than with Cod.

And what does it being a console game has to do with anything?

I don't know if they'll do a Destiny 2 or not but if they just expanded it further and further like an MMO they could do all the same things they can with a sequel while keeping the old content there for new players.

No need to restart anything.

Shito

Oh, just realised that tomorrow being a bank holiday here, that means that for the first time ever I'll be able to experience the reset with you guys!

Also, I won't bite on Bungie trying to make me want a crux...

I wouldn't mind running some trials either. I'm pretty good, but will have limited mic usage atm, so it's up to you if you want to take me. Didn't get flawless on my hunter yet this week, so that would be a plus.

I'm looking to swap helmets on my titan, but I'm only an average PVPer, so I could be an impediment to going flawless.

If you guys can't find a third, feel free to invite me, and I'll run with you xD

OkayRene

Didn't a recent E3 Bungie interview highlight that they're internally referring to Year 1 + TTK as "Destiny 1"? I'll have to look this up.

Finally made to 20 with my new Hunter. Took me about 8 hours to go from 0-20.

m9eQ9Rh.jpg

I think my KD dropped a ton from playing PVP with white weapons though. Nothing more frustrating going against Thorns with regular handcannons and no armor.

Not sure what gear I should be going for now.

noomi

m9eQ9Rh.jpg

I think my KD dropped a ton from playing PVP with white weapons though. Nothing more frustrating going against Thorns with regular handcannons and no armor.

Not sure what gear I should be going for now.

Nice man, 8 hours? that's not bad at all. Is this your first hunter?

Owensboro

Anyone want to run a Normal Crota's End around 4:45 PM EST? I'm looking to knock one out before running errands/preparing dinner.

1. OwensboroEsq

I'm looking to swap helmets on my titan, but I'm only an average PVPer, so I could be an impediment to going flawless.

If you guys can't find a third, feel free to invite me, and I'll run with you xD

I don't care about flawless. There is literally no adept weapon I care to have above what I've gotten already, and I have 30 some etheric light with every piece of owned gear ascended. In short, no pressure. I sent you a party inv.

Ken

http://i.imgur.com/m9eQ9Rh.jpg[/IM

Not sure what gear I should be going for now.[/QUOTE]

Armor cores? Any Hunter exotics you kept around?

Otherwise it's ranking up Vanguard/PvP. The Vanguard arms are really good (I/D HC reload). FWC helmet is nice.

Nice man, 8 hours? that's not bad at all. Is this your first hunter?
Yup. I was running two Warlocks and one Titan but Warlocks got boring real fast.

Also what's up with meleeing as a Hunter? Not sounding creepy but stabbing people in PVP is insanely fun as a Hunter and seems more powerful than normal. I got the majority of my kills that way.

chur

Plans change - that was a long time ago. They already have, a few times over. That document is no longer a road map for the future of Destiny.
Yes, some plans have changed but I feel like the timeline in that contract is still what they're going for, except everything has been delayed one year. Going back to that document it states Destiny in 2013 and a major expansion codenamed "Comet" in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom