• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd360

Congrats to Puma!!!
Sadness - Iwata. :(

How did the podcast go, Todd? :) any destiny nuggets for us?

I just finished my initial editing. I think I'm going to listen to the whole thing from my phone to make sure it sounds right before I release it. It will definitely be released today.

Welcome to the dark side. Enjoy the controller, hate the UI.

Waves

Hit level 21 last night. Was funny thinking about getting blues as good and not weapon parts. Then realizing I need weapon parts.

See ya online bud

I'm letting my nephews do the grind, and then I'll play Trials and such when my char is ready :p They're here for another 2 weeks before they go back home so that should be plenty of time to get somewhere decent.

Oh yea, blues are the best especially with better light! hahaha just went through that last week

noomi

Also Destiny needs a much better system for Vault Space and Weapons. Destiny needs big updates that contain a lot of new weapons.

But with the difficulty in obtaining the best weapons, and with the periodic weapons balancing patching that make some previously terrible weapons OP and at the same time majorly nerf other weapons then nobody wants to just shard any really hard to obtain weapon.

So they need to give us lots of new weapons, but they don't want to take away the old ones, and they don't want to give us more vault space because it is a big cost on their storage servers. So I look forward to hearing their plans.

So much this, if they don't add something by the time TTK comes, I will be having a serious problem with my vault and inventory.

They should add SCREENS of inventory space. One screen for armor, one for weapons, one for mats....etc

I want to also be able to re-organize vault icons... but that's a different story. OCD is a real thing....

What if they delete that character as well?

I don't think so. Well my 2 main nephews are 10 and 12 and they're smarter than that. The 8 year old one that deleted my char only comes by sometimes. And most of the time I'm monitoring them. 4th of July was the only exception. They know not to touch any of my discs or switch games without my permission, especially now. And I have passcodes set up to get them started on it.

Raybunny

I'm letting my nephews do the grind, and then I'll play Trials and such when my char is ready :p They're here for another 2 weeks before they go back home so that should be plenty of time to get somewhere decent.

Oh yea, blues are the best especially with better light! hahaha just went through that last week

They will keep deleting the characters and remaking them just for the fun. Just you wait!

GutZ31

The game isn't lacking content, atleast not now. And they'd be better off using the disc space and memory for other things.
The way I see them doing it is that up until Destiny 2 everything you want to play is on the first game's disc, you buy the 2nd game for even more stuff and to play with the same characters.

What I am curious about is how are they going to manage progression for people who only join in Destiny 2 ? I will already be level 36 or something when I play the first mission of Destiny 2 but someone else who never played the first game and its expansions will be level 1.

Not hard to imagine. They have been doing it from the very start of destiny.

1413000630heroic_modifier.jpg

I think The Taken Kings sales figures will help give us an idea of whether Activision intends to keep supporting last gen. If it does poorly on last gen and if there is a downward trend of last gen Dlc ownership they will likely drop it.

If they do continue last gen support I can only hope that bungie works only on current gen and Activision throws a call of duty support studio or bluepoint at a last gen port.

Also Destiny needs a much better system for Vault Space and Weapons. Destiny needs big updates that contain a lot of new weapons.

But with the difficulty in obtaining the best weapons, and with the periodic weapons balancing patching that make some previously terrible weapons OP and at the same time majorly nerf other weapons then nobody wants to just shard any really hard to obtain weapon.

So they need to give us lots of new weapons, but they don't want to take away the old ones, and they don't want to give us more vault space because it is a big cost on their storage servers. So I look forward to hearing their plans.
It's why I believe they will give us Destiny 2 in Sept 2016. If not next year, soon after for sure. People are begging for more vault space and they keep saying "Oh we can't because of the older gens!"

I imagine vault space isn't the only thing that's holding them back. There's probably a bunch of stuff that they maybe want to do but can't right now due to supporting old gen. This was the same thing that they did in Halo which was have crazy and cool ideas for the game but it ends up being scrapped and being put into the next one.

This is what Joseph Staten said in a Halo 2 commentary and I'm pretty sure it applies to Destiny as well. The story and the refinement was a mess for Destiny. While they are putting it together now, there's no way that they have no plans on doing a next gen only Destiny 2.

They probably been working on Destiny 2 since the launch of Destiny.

I think this is a great example of what Bungie does really well. Which is come up with a really good idea, and not execute on it the first time around. Save it, sit on it, hone it, refine it and then, Wham! Next game, realize it to it's fullest potential.

todd360

It's why I believe they will give us Destiny 2 in Sept 2016. People are clamouring for more vault space and they keep saying "Oh we can't because of the older gens!"

I imagine vault space isn't the only thing that's holding them back. There's probably a bunch of stuff that they maybe want to do but can't right now due to supporting old gen. This was the same thing that they did in Halo which was have crazy and cool ideas for the game but it ends up being scrapped and being put into the next one.

This is what Joseph Staten said in a Halo 2 commentary and I'm pretty sure it applies to Destiny as well. The story and the refinement was a mess for Destiny. While they are putting it together now, there's no way that they have no plans on doing a next gen only Destiny 2.

They've probably been working on Destiny 2 since the launch of Destiny.

Destiny 2 is going to be a thing. Maybe they will have a subtitle instead of a 2, but it is coming and old gen isn't coming with it.

Waves

Hit level 21 last night. Was funny thinking about getting blues as good and not weapon parts. Then realizing I need weapon parts.

See ya online bud

I'll be on later tonight. I can roll you through any higher level stuff you want to be carried through.

I have one weapon part after rolling a sick PvP spare change and a matador. One. Weapon. Part. I have well over a thousand on PS4.

It's why I believe they will give us Destiny 2 in Sept 2016. If not next year, soon after for sure. People are begging for more vault space and they keep saying "Oh we can't because of the older gens!"

They've probably been working on Destiny 2 since the launch of Destiny.

Did you get to L20?! If so, what did you get to after you put on all your saved gear?

Destiny 2 is going to be a thing. Maybe they will have a subtitle instead of a 2, but it is coming and old gen isn't coming with it.
I agree. There's too much money and potential in it for it to not happen. I have no doubt that they'll be releasing a constant barrage of DLC for the first game up until it's release though. What I can see them doing is continuing to support Destiny 1 even after Destiny 2 releases with really minor stuff until they completely abandon it so people are forced to move over.

Did you get to L20?! If so, what did you get to after you put on all your saved gear?
I got to level 19 last night. I'm going to be hopping on now to get to 20.

nOoblet16

Not hard to imagine. They have been doing it from the very start of destiny.

Ofcourse, I've thought about that.
But what it doesn't take into encounter is the post game content which will be the same level for everyone..the nightfalls, raids and everything. If post game content is level 40.

Then someone who buys Destiny 2 without Destiny 1 and starts from level 1 might need to grind before they are able to play the post game content compared to someone who has played Destiny 1 and has characters at that level. If they don't then the current playerbase will call out for it being too easy for people to hit level similar to them etc etc, but if the new players are made to grind then they might leave the game believing that the game is geared towards older players.

Kyne

It's weird... Destiny is an MMO that isn't an MMO.

In that aspect, are we really going to lose our characters with over a thousand hours when we start Destiny 2? The lifespan of a traditional MMO is years if not decades. All the time we spent will be left behind.

Anyone with saved Destiny info will probably get an exclusive shader in Destiny 2.

:(

I added you.

Will accept!

I agree. There's too much money and potential in it for it to not happen. I have no doubt that they'll be releasing a constant barrage of DLC for the first game up until it's release though. What I can see them doing is continuing to support Destiny 1 even after Destiny 2 releases with really minor stuff until they completely abandon it so people are forced to move over.

I got to level 19 last night. I'm going to be hopping on now to get to 20.

Nice! You did that really fast

All the talk of Destiny 2 just makes me think about the limited vault space. Like Noomi said eailer, once the TTK comes out, I have no idea what I am going to do with all the weapons I have and items I have.

I always thought it would be cool to have vendors like Tess, but for weapons, armor, and raids. If I don't have room for a weapon I only want as part of a collection, then I can shard it, and go back to said vendor at anytime to get it for 1 glimmer. I'm sure someone has thought of that before.

Deku Tree

If Destiny 2 comes out in September 2016 and you can't bring your weapons with you then who is going to want to keep grinding Destiny 1 at all? Not sure I will...

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
It's weird... Destiny is an MMO that isn't an MMO.

In that aspect, are we really going to lose our characters with over a thousand hours when we start Destiny 2? The lifespan of a traditional MMO is years if not decades. All the time we spent will be left behind.

Anyone with saved Destiny info will probably get an exclusive shader in Destiny 2.

:(

I said it earlier but again: there is no way Bungie releases anything that requires you to leave behind your characters. They know the hooks that are built in when people have 1,200 hours with a character and a record of their accomplishments. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they'll be new weapons with 800 attack and we won't be able to ascend our Hawkmoons that high, but you will never be looking at a blank character screen asked to create a new dude because Destiny 2 came out.

Trakan

Well, I don't think anyone expects them to drop old gen during year 2, but I think saying year 3 is new gen only is jumping the gun. As I said, they'll do it based on the data they have, and they'll probably come up with some clever ways of motivating people to make the switch to the newer generation.

Year 3, or "Destiny 2" will be current gen only. Destiny being on last gen consoles is already holding back features due to the RAM on the old consoles. They're not going to put up with that bullshit for a new game and people already having established characters will be the ultimate selling point for any stragglers who haven't upgraded yet.

I guess I just don't understand what makes Destiny 2 "Destiny 2" if not solely for the number on the box.
I ask a similar question every year when they push out a new Call of Duty or any other yearly release game. It's the same core game with new story, new features, better graphics, etc

It'll be the same thing for Destiny.

Raybunny

Regarding the subject in hand, Destiny 2.

If they keep going on with dlcs and expansion pack like many MMO's until when will they support the last gen?

Destiny 2 might be a new gen game only to force a clean and proper development. Considering the amount of players on the last gen, 2016 is far too soon.

Homeboyd

I ask a similar question every year when they push out a new Call of Duty or any other yearly release game. It's the same core game with new story, new features, better graphics, etc

It'll be the same thing for Destiny.
I'm saying they're not going to follow that model though. They don't need to. TTK is as much "Destiny 2" as anything. They'll keep evolving this way rather than slapping a 2 on the box.. then a 3, etc...

Kyne

I said it earlier but again: there is no way Bungie releases anything that requires you to leave behind your characters. They know the hooks that are built in when people have 1,200 hours with a character and a record of their accomplishments. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they'll be new weapons with 800 attack and we won't be able to ascend our Hawkmoons that high, but you will never be looking at a blank character screen asked to create a new dude because Destiny 2 came out.

What game (sequal/MMO) has ever done what you're asking?

Obscured

I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't just a storage server limitation, but a design decision to give more perceived importance to what you decide to keep versus shard. Unfortunately my current bias is to assume whatever sounds more manipulative and I think vault space will continue to remain sparse. I hope to be proven incorrect in this regard.

E92 M3

On Reddit, a Bungie employee posted that the Necrochasm is beastly in the current TTK build.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/3co5ta/2_of_my_favourite_guns_are_peashooters_and_im_not/

A little bird told me that Necrochasm was stupidly good in the last internal Taken King playtest.

Ninja edit disclaimer before Deej wakes up and strangles me: The Taken King is a work in progress and things are still getting shuffled around. What I'm saying is that there is at least a version of the future where Necrochasm is much improved. Our sandbox design team really does love bullethoses, which is why there are so many in the game. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom