• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

RetroMG

Guh, those nerfs have really made me less excited about going back to Destiny. The only gun I regularly use that ISN'T affected is the Fang of Ir Yut. I need to go take down Skolas in order to get my emblem, but I am waaay less interested.

Probably not quitting, but morale is low.

Hey, this is also totally off topic, but we've been playing Mafia in the OT Community forum, which is a lot of fun.

Mafro

if you don't have a bit of understanding how maintaining live systems works I can understand your xur reaction.

It will be really complicated to fix that while he is live. It seems it's not even possible to take him down for a few hours and get him back up in the same state. Not worth the risk.
They could always put him back up again on Sunday till Monday just selling the exotic. I always though it was really stupid that he leaves Sunday morning (UK time) and isn't around for the whole weekend.

phen0m24

Tears streaming some Trials with nooblet and Akai.
Feels a bit weird not being there on Friday, but seeing that it is Cauldron...

http://www.twitch.tv/shijierui

All I know is I wanted to call you "doctor" all the time, but now I think I've settled on calling you
Dr. Stroopwafel
:)

I have got to distanced myself from my old friends in Destiny, just the fucking toxic in the party chat. While I go 21-5 try to give my friends a chance on trials they bitch at me going in too hard, while the stay in the back with MESSENGERS. :(

Maybe I just need to step away from PVP all together until 2.0

I am a Messenger counter-sniper and bad at 1 on 1 encounters, so I kind of sympathize. Although if you want to have fun in PvP we could play and you could laugh at me as I illustrate sheer truckloads of lack of skill. :)

It's a bug. They happen. We have no idea how the back end is designed and managed; these things are seldom as simple as we think they are.

It's frustrating for us and embarrassing for Bungie, but some of the reactions today have been an embarrassment to this community.

Yeah, exactly. I mean, we have our classic sine-wave reactions but not to the level of name-calling and vitriol spewing around. We'll still be playing the game even though we're snippy today.

I honestly look forward to what comes out of it. We'll all find what works best in the game soon enough.

And in my experience, I watched Twilight Gap decimate a team with a WHITE SNIPER RIFLE. The first one in the game. He saved it. I mean, even though I personally wish for an OP option (Oh my gosh thank you for my Messenger - please don't hate me Vaalbara) they are just tools in our hands when it comes down to it.

broony

They could always put him back up again on Sunday till Monday just selling the exotic. I always though it was really stupid that he leaves Sunday morning (UK time) and isn't around for the whole weekend.
That would probably mean bringing in a significant amount of testers and engineers for the weekend.

SkylineRKR

I have to say that Dragon Strikes are amazing for green/blue Engram drops. If you need parts, play Dragon.

They also hand out legendary pieces. Got a Fear Eater chest for my Hunter which I ascended because of its good stats and ammo buffs (much better than vendor). Also got such a Helmet.

And just today after perhaps 8 strikes, a hopscotch and a legendary sniper.

Dave_6

It's a bug. They happen. We have no idea how the back end is designed and managed; these things are seldom as simple as we think they are.

It's frustrating for us and embarrassing for Bungie, but some of the reactions today have been an embarrassment to this community.

Agreed.

Where's Hawkian with his sine wave post? :p

GhaleonEB

They also hand out legendary pieces. Got a Fear Eater chest for my Hunter which I ascended because of its good stats and ammo buffs (much better than vendor). Also got such a Helmet.

And just today after perhaps 8 strikes, a hopscotch and a legendary sniper.

I've been surprised at how often legendaries drop in Dragon. I remember an analysis that showed they had a pretty low drop rate in ROC, back before HoW came out. But they seem to drop something like 1 in 4 now, from the time I've spent in it.

Ourobolus

Banned
Guh, those nerfs have really made me less excited about going back to Destiny. The only gun I regularly use that ISN'T affected is the Fang of Ir Yut. I need to go take down Skolas in order to get my emblem, but I am waaay less interested.

Probably not quitting, but morale is low.

Hey, this is also totally off topic, but we've been playing Mafia in the OT Community forum, which is a lot of fun.

And I know you fuckers miss me, and I'm hosting one of the games. Come play!

LTWood12

I have got to distanced myself from my old friends in Destiny, just the fucking toxic in the party chat. While I go 21-5 try to give my friends a chance on trials they bitch at me going in too hard, while the stay in the back with MESSENGERS. :(

Maybe I just need to step away from PVP all together until 2.0

Don't get discouraged Vaal! Play w/ me this weekend and I'll be singing your praises!

purg3

slept with Malkin
I've been surprised at how often legendaries drop in Dragon. I remember an analysis that showed they had a pretty low drop rate in ROC, back before HoW came out. But they seem to drop something like 1 in 4 now, from the time I've spent in it.

The drop rate definitely seems to have been increased. Makes running them worthwhile.

Ganhyun

They have altered Xur while live before. They have no problems taking things from the inventory, but adding stuff isn't possible? C'mon.

I was making this argument as well. You need to quote that to broony, not me :)

Wow look at the engineer over here.

Dude, no need to be a jerk.

I think Bungie is telling the truth, but it's still pretty mind-boggling that they have somehow built this game so rigidly that they cannot change a vendor's inventory without everything completely breaking. These fuckups have to be at the very core of the game, which is disheartening.

They have altered it before. But, they have also built their games in ways that make things players think of as simple changes very difficult to implement/change. That has been true for Bungie since Marathon and Halo 1.

I would imagine they can fix it, but they can't test it thoroughly enough and it's too risky to take the system that is xur down to make the changes while he is live. Too much connected that can go wrong.

Honestly, I feel like its more in line with their general overall testing/patching system. If its something that helps players rush through things, they rush to fix it and break other stuff, some of which they never bother to go back and fix. If its something that slows down players, it takes a much lower priority in their fix it list. We've seen that since day 1 in Destiny.

They altered him for missing a weapon when live?

No, he wasn't missing a weapon. See my next quote from Deku on what was going on.

They changed Xurs inventory in week 1 within a few hours because we were not "playing as they had expected". So has been done in the past without breaking anything. More likely they decided that in this case for some unexplained reasons it's not worth it for them to change Xur at this point.

Not playing as they expected usually means we as players are speeding up our leveling/content completion process faster than they wanted us to.

I, for one, welcome our new balance overlords. Reasoning behind all the nerfs and buffs was sound. Ice Breaker might be the one point of contention out of everything that I have, but it's a single point that's getting blown out of proportion.

And I'm sure they haven't changed the fundamental way Xur works since then. Especially not after someone was datamining Xur and they changed the system around to prevent that.

Oh, Im sure Xur has changed since his original debut. We know he has since they had to change him to prevent people like Megaman on Reddit from accurately predicting his wares every week. The only times Megaman was wrong were usually tied to updates to his inventory added into various patches.

They've put him back up before so its possible they could do this.

That would probably mean bringing in a significant amount of testers and engineers for the weekend.

They've done it before, so why not this time?

Broony, i promise I'm not picking on you here, you just happened to respond to me and others multiple times on things I wanted to respond to.

Praetoriathon also plays
Rocket League!!

The Dutch National Rocket League Team™ is going down! :p

We just need two more trophies for RL such a fun game (500 km one and collect all items).
Have been playing it with people from DGAF just for laughs. We'll take you and Pastrami on!

So I checked out the Twitter replies to Bungie's post about not being able to fix Xur, and wow are people dumb. It's unbelievable how many times that stupid photoshop of ghorn in his inventory is being posted.

I played five strikes with xo and Gunnerz last night and xo got a thunderlord, legendary auto and hand cannon, legendary engram, and two legendary chest armors. I got a legendary sniper that was awful.

Shito

So I checked out the Twitter replies to Bungie's post about not being able to fix Xur, and wow are people dumb. It's unbelievable how many times that stupid photoshop of ghorn in his inventory is being posted.
To be fair, the photoshop was nicely done.
If I was not watching EVO right now I would do one with the fate of all fools instead, and another one with the khostov...

ocean

Banned

I expect nothing from randoms. But I've seen many fellow DGAF peers descend into the absolute dumbest level of conversation today. Overreacting to petty stuff like a 10% shotgun nerf or a yet-to-be-quantified Gjallarhorn nerf; assuming no weapon = Gjallarhorn because reasons (wtf), just really disappointing stuff.

Ganhyun

To be fair, the photoshop was nicely done.
If I was not watching EVO right now I would do one with the fate of all fools instead, and another one with the khostov...

I would pay a couple of strange coins to have a Khostov again without having to delete a character and start over.

Kyoufu

Here's a real picture of Xur selling Gjallarhorn:

b1u7zxk.jpg

from week 2 of Destiny kek

broony

I was making this argument as well. You need to quote that to broony, not me :)

Dude, no need to be a jerk.

They have altered it before. But, they have also built their games in ways that make things players think of as simple changes very difficult to implement/change. That has been true for Bungie since Marathon and Halo 1.

Honestly, I feel like its more in line with their general overall testing/patching system. If its something that helps players rush through things, they rush to fix it and break other stuff, some of which they never bother to go back and fix. If its something that slows down players, it takes a much lower priority in their fix it list. We've seen that since day 1 in Destiny.

No, he wasn't missing a weapon. See my next quote from Deku on what was going on.

Not playing as they expected usually means we as players are speeding up our leveling/content completion process faster than they wanted us to.

Oh, Im sure Xur has changed since his original debut. We know he has since they had to change him to prevent people like Megaman on Reddit from accurately predicting his wares every week. The only times Megaman was wrong were usually tied to updates to his inventory added into various patches.

They've put him back up before so its possible they could do this.

They've done it before, so why not this time?

Broony, i promise I'm not picking on you here, you just happened to respond to me and others multiple times on things I wanted to respond to.

Ha. No problem. The changes they have made in the past can be totally unrelated with what's happened today. In the past I don't think they changed anything because something fundamentally broke.

Imagine what happens behind the scenes when xur turns up each week. A random inventory is generated.Some things are the same each week. Some random item like the engrams relies on the random engram system. The heavy anno doesn't rely on any system as its there every week.

The weapon generating system though may well be something complely different. So although we see it as just xur, there will be much more to him than just a shop with a squid face.

What happened this week hasn't happened before. Something that was meant to be there, didn't appear. Something broke catastrophically regarding the weapon system that wasn't caught by whatever safeguards thru have for that system. So it's not really like they can use any of the experience they gained by changing things previously. They need to do a thorough investigation into what went wrong, why, why didn't anything catch it, what do they need to fix, how can it be tested and how long will the testing take.

If they stuck something together and just slammed it in there, what if that fucked up again and cleared all his inventory? What if it took the tower space down? What if it accidentally gave you 10 Gjallerhorns for 1 coin. It all needs to be checked out. And if they are not 100% confident on everything and happy they wouldn't need half the team in on standby to recover a fatal crash, then why not leave it until Xur is gone and they can poke the system without any risk?

Blunoise

Ok guys since auto rifles are getting buff. Which gun should I focus on? The summenor(solar) or wolfslayers cake 2(arc)

but I want the necronsmn now

That's because people aren't only reacting to Xur. As noomi posted earlier, it's been a really disheartening month for Destiny. And beyond that, there's always been a narrative of Bungie disliking or disregarding players (Crota's End patching exploits before bugs, heavy weapon ammo bug taking months and months). How else do you explain the paranoid theories about Xur rolling Gjallarhorn and it breaking him?

Each time Bungie has addressed these only in the smallest, lightest way possible. Take for instance the Taken King collector's edition. Was anyone really satisfied by what they said? They created a $20 SKU for the emotes (!) and then didn't change a thing. They didn't address international pricing. They didn't even go into the Year 1 Rewards that much (just one new photo). It was enough for people to put the pitchforks down temporarily, but not away. Even when they're giving good news, they have to use it to provide cover for unpopular news (weapons balancing that's badly needed is used to cover for Gjallarhorn/IB/BH nerfs).

The community keeps boiling over. Bungie does just enough to lower the temperature to 99*C. It's no wonder that each small thing causes the community to blow up again. This Xur thing is another example of that. People are getting really upset. The Bungie twitter account is being superformal, to the point of not even apologizing. (All it costs is 5 characters to say "Sorry", btw, but they haven't even done that). Bungie will wait it out. The community will calm down to 99*C, and then something else will happen. Back to boiling over into embarrassing comments and rage.

Bungie has got to change the narrative. Otherwise this will just keep happening.

Disconnected from the server when we just killed the goddamned tank from the Valuc Taurc heroic strike in lvl 32, and with more issues to reconnect. Fuck This game and fuck Bungie. I have no mood to keep playing if this is going to keep happening.

Disconnected from the server when we just killed the goddamned tank from the Valuc Taurc heroic strike in lvl 32, and with more issues to reconnect. Fuck This game and fuck Bungie. I have no mood to keep playing if this is going to keep happening.

The servers on this game isn't great :(

SeanR1221

Yeah I was planning on playing this weekend to keep grinding for a Horn and Black hammer. Now? Fuck why even bother? I lost all motivation to play.

LiK

Yeah I was planning on playing this weekend to keep grinding for a Horn and Black hammer. Now? Fuck why even bother? I lost all motivation to play.

Bungie wants us to be excited for the TTK weapons. I think they have succeeded in killing my motivation to get a Hawkmoon. I'd rather get a Hopscotch now.

Top Bottom