• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

vctor182

Oh wow Gordon was banned? the salt is real. I lost a little interest in Destiny because of the incoming changes, I don't like exotic nerfs, exotics are supposed to be something above normal weapons and nerfing the black hammer is just wrong, landing 3 crit hits with no room for error should be rewarded like it was doing it

EDIT: Top of the page??? damn brb...

dad.gif

Monster Zero

Haha yea either Cauldron or the Weapon Balance news.. and of course work :p

I'm on your list, we ran trials and nightfall last week haha. It's all good though, I signed off since I wasted an hour trying to get a group

I'm pretty sure you're Sin_Giborah or something along those lines, right?

Yup, we've had some good runs, a close 8-1 run.

broony

if you don't have a bit of understanding how maintaining live systems works I can understand your xur reaction.

It will be really complicated to fix that while he is live. It seems it's not even possible to take him down for a few hours and get him back up in the same state. Not worth the risk.

Jinjo

Somebody over on the destiny subreddit did the math:

"In September the icebreaker is having its recharge time increased from 5 seconds to 8 Yea, so guess what that means kiddies! 1 bullet every 8 seconds is equal to 37 bullets in 5 MINUTES. Synth cool down. That means you get 43 bullets (37 plus the original 6) for your icebreaker in 5 minutes, you can't get any more than that. On a sniper with a reserve of 18? 36 in 5 minutes. And you can DPS burst that on bosses, instead of a bullet each 8 seconds. You wanna give your exotic slot for less DPS and 7 more bullets? Fine by me but I'm sticking with pretty much any legendary sniper.

OH YEA And icebreaker can't pick up more special, making legendaries even BETTER Fuck me BUNGIE this is dumb...

TL:DR icebreaker now has less DPS than every high impact legendary sniper, and you're giving your exotic slot for 7 more bullets in a 5 minute window."

Wow.

aaaaand there it is...

a67LMGP.jpg

Just wow.

Bungie has really no clue what the hell they're doing anymore. What a great month for Destiny & Bungie...

ich00

Void Scholar would like a word.

Void Scholar is also great, but I really like My Six Dregg Pride II in void :D

Sure and I use my void Messenger more than the Word. The problem with all 3 is that they are arguably harder to get: Scholar and Messenger only in trials and the Pride is RNG on top of RNG. The word you at least know you kill Crota and pray to RNGesus for the drop.

Ganhyun

Oh wow Gordon was banned? the salt is real. I lost a little interest in Destiny because of the incoming changes, I don't like exotic nerfs, exotics are supposed to be something above normal weapons and nerfing the black hammer is just wrong, landing 3 crit hits with no room for error should be rewarded like it was doing it

EDIT: Top of the page??? damn brb...

Guess someone got tired of his salt and complained to a mod (I would assume of of the people arguing with him over the last few pages). Or Ghaleon banned him. I doubt it was Ghaleon, since, from my understanding, he doesn't tend to ban people in threads like this without an obvious warning.

Internet in general is going off on Bungie now. Lots of people remember them altering xur previouly.

if you don't have a bit of understanding how maintaining live systems works I can understand your xur reaction.

It will be really complicated to fix that while he is live. It seems it's not even possible to take him down for a few hours and get him back up in the same state. Not worth the risk.

Except they have previously altered him while he was live without issue.

noomi

You guys remember the guy from reddit who said he had his thorn dismantled by another player after a crucible match?

Turns out it was all bullshit...

I have got to distanced myself from my old friends in Destiny, just the fucking toxic in the party chat. While I go 21-5 try to give my friends a chance on trials they bitch at me going in too hard, while the stay in the back with MESSENGERS. :(

Maybe I just need to step away from PVP all together until 2.0

Wow.

Just wow.

Bungie has really no clue what the hell they're doing anymore. What a great month for Destiny & Bungie...

Lol, why do people always say this? Does it make you feel better to pretend like Bungie/Destiny is some shitshow and not a massively popular game? They know exactly what they're doing, and they also know that the communities of shooter games are awful and will flip out at everything.

Maybe a shader will drop for someone else this week :p

Wish you were around; will miss having your sniper skills on my fireteam. But there will be many more weeks of Trials, and it seems like you're doing what needs to be done.

Shader won't drop this week ;)
Get Blaze on your team, open the A door and enjoy those blue beams of awesomeness. I just won't be there to steal his sniper kills.

GhaleonEB

It's a bug. They happen. We have no idea how the back end is designed and managed; these things are seldom as simple as we think they are.

It's frustrating for us and embarrassing for Bungie, but some of the reactions today have been an embarrassment to this community.

border

Wow look at the engineer over here.

I think Bungie is telling the truth, but it's still pretty mind-boggling that they have somehow built this game so rigidly that they cannot change a vendor's inventory without everything completely breaking. These fuckups have to be at the very core of the game, which is disheartening.

Got to say that although I disagree with some of the nerfs on a whole the weapon balancing looks good to me. Don't see the reason behind black hammer and ice breaker nerfs but never mind. It'll change things up for me and helps to approach encounters in a new way.

I'm looking forward to scouts being the next big thing in crucible! Using something other than ghorn against bosses without being at a massive disadvantage.

Guess someone got tired of his salt and complained to a mod (I would assume of of the people arguing with him over the last few pages). Or Ghaleon banned him. I doubt it was Ghaleon, since, from my understanding, he doesn't tend to ban people in threads like this without an obvious warning.

Internet in general is going off on Bungie now. Lots of people remember them altering xur previouly.

Except they have previously altered him while he was live without issue.

They have altered Xur while live before. They have no problems taking things from the inventory, but adding stuff isn't possible? C'mon.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
It's a bug. They happen. We have no idea how the back end is designed and managed; these things are seldom as simple as we think they are.

It's frustrating for us and embarrassing for Bungie, but some of the reactions today have been an embarrassment to this community.

Bro I built a website in 10th grade comp Sci class in html and even got the banner to spin in when you load it up.

It's really not that hard.

/s

Trace

Banned
I have got to distanced myself from my old friends in Destiny, just the fucking toxic in the party chat. While I go 21-5 try to give my friends a chance on trials they bitch at me going in too hard, while the stay in the back with MESSENGERS. :(

Maybe I just need to step away from PVP all together until 2.0

No you need to play with me later tomorrow :p

broony

I think Bungie is telling the truth, but it's still pretty mind-boggling that they have somehow built this game so rigidly that they cannot change a vendor's inventory without everything completely breaking. These fuckups have to be at the very core of the game, which is disheartening.
I would imagine they can fix it, but they can't test it thoroughly enough and it's too risky to take the system that is xur down to make the changes while he is live. Too much connected that can go wrong.

LiK

Can't blame them. It was probably G-Horn. 😎

Deku Tree

They changed Xurs inventory in week 1 within a few hours because we were not "playing as they had expected". So has been done in the past without breaking anything. More likely they decided that in this case for some unexplained reasons it's not worth it for them to change Xur at this point.

I'm L23 entering L26 weekly heroic hahaha matchmaking ftw! Let's see how this plays out
(xbox)

Edit: Crap, got 2x L24 with me. This won't be fun.

Jinjo

Lol, why do people always say this? Does it make you feel better to pretend like Bungie/Destiny is some shitshow and not a massively popular game? They know exactly what they're doing, and they also know that the communities of shooter games are awful and will flip out at everything.

Just because Destiny is popular it doesn't mean Bungie is exempt from scrutiny. Doubtful weapon nerfing (to be fair, we don't know how all of them exactly turn out but some of them are really questionable, like the icebreaker in particular), unable to fix silly little bugs, huge lag/server issues, and combined with the negative PR about upcoming DLC, I think it's fair to question if Bungie really knows what they are doing anymore. Nice generalisation though, thanks for that.

Shito

I would imagine they can fix it, but they can't test it thoroughly enough and it's too risky to take the system that is xur down to make the changes while he is live. Too much connected that can go wrong.
As someone working on a game with 9 million DAU at the moment, I can very well understand how such an apparent "easy mistake to fix" can end up being way more complicated than it would seem to be.
I think you're right about the testing that it would need, and I think that Bungie's mistake is more on the QA side: it's not the first time they showed a lack of testing on their patches, and it's hard to understand how this bug today was not caught on a pre-prod environment before going live.
... And I can totally relate with them because the company I work in is also currently lacking on the QA side, so I know how frustrated some of the Bungie employees can feel right now. ^^

I, for one, welcome our new balance overlords. Reasoning behind all the nerfs and buffs was sound. Ice Breaker might be the one point of contention out of everything that I have, but it's a single point that's getting blown out of proportion.

They changed Xurs inventory in week 1 within a few hours because we were not "playing as they had expected". So has been done in the past without breaking anything. More likely they decided that in this case for some unexplained reasons it's not worth it for them to change Xur at this point.

And I'm sure they haven't changed the fundamental way Xur works since then. Especially not after someone was datamining Xur and they changed the system around to prevent that.

Top Bottom