• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

btkadams

Shout out to Darknyss and Btkadams for the smooth Skolas run. One first timer, one hour, and one wipe while going through the mechanics of Skolas the first time around. Pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Skolas gave me two primaries this week. What a nice guy.

yeah it went pretty smoothly! thanks again for the help.

Frenden

Banned
Skolas is only worth the shader. nothing else is worth it.

I've beaten Skolas twice, the first time I got booted to orbit just as he died. It wasn't fun, I didn't get rewards, and the exotic bounties don't give good enough weapons to make up for that.

I have the Bow, I'd like Lord of Wolves, but I'm adopting a wait and see attitude. Worst case, there are two exotic weapons I don't have. Big whoop. He needs better rewards.

I'm only missing Lord, Promise, Monte Carlo, and Fourth Horseman, but I'm becoming less concerned with being a Destiny completionist lately.

I feel like they did level 35 out of some sort of reflex to make it harder, not trusting that the encounter they designed was sufficient, when it really is..

Yep, this is the key differentiator with VoG and CE/PoE. People still wipe at every phase of VoG because of the encounter designs, despite being over-leveled**. CE is so mechanically plain, hard mode required the under-leveling to pose any challenge. Plus they added Majors at every turn and hard-locked Crota's HP behind sword damage so you couldn't counteract the level scaling with weapon selection.

Lv 35 PoE is even simpler with basic dismantle/destroy/VIP objectives, except for Skolas. For the first time since Atheon, they made an encounter that could stand on its own two feet... so they released it with forced under-leveling, Solar burn, and Skolas' HP more than double any other boss in the game. I can't begin to imagine the rationale behind this.

Not that I have actual experience but this weeks modifiers (small arms and lightswitch) sound easier than last weeks (Angry and Catapult).

Lightswitch and Small Arms are just a bad combo. Without SA, Found Verdict can wreck the captains no problem while GHorn can burn Skolas down much faster. With SA, you could use 4th Horseman for adds but then you're losing your two best Skolas DPS sources in GHorn and snipers which are already nerfed by SA. Primary weapons have such lower DPS ceilings and it's harder to apply damage with a scout rifle relative to a tracking rocket launcher.

It is easily the longest end game PvE content in the game.

I agree with everything you say, especially about the same 5 rounds to Skolas being very boring. As for the length, a pro team can clear HM VoG in 35-40 minutes with no wipes. HM CE is more like 25 or less, even when under-leveled. A no-wipe Lv35 PoE is 40-45 minutes with favorable modifiers but it's closer to 1-1.5 hours for most people.

But the huuuuge distinction here is the lack of CPs. A HM Atheon or Crota kill takes literally 2-3 minutes with the CP, and the Oracles CP chops a good 10 minutes off getting all the VoG loot drops.

**There's no such thing as being over-leveled in Destiny.

matmanx1

Beat Skolas on first try. Pretty nice fight.

I am jelly.

What is everyone using for a loadout for the Skolas fight? I went Fatebringer/4th Horseman/Admonisher III (arc) and Defender spec on my Titan. I would appreciate any advice before my team tries it again.

Frenden

Banned
I am jelly.

What is everyone using for a loadout for the Skolas fight? I went Fatebringer/4th Horseman/Admonisher III (arc) and Defender spec on my Titan. I would appreciate any advice before my team tries it again.

Fatebringer, Found Verdict, Gjallarhorn worked well for my groups.

P44

I am jelly.

When in doubt, cycle around the arena. Helps a ton.

I used a sniper rifle but I'm a jackass. Use a shotgun, found verdict would be very very good here.

Damnit my posts are so long sometimes. TL;DR- only for obsessives.

Fatebringer, Found Verdict, Gjallarhorn worked well for my groups.

Yep, this is as good as it gets although Fang works well too, preferable if you're trying to damage Skolas/adds from far away.

I am jelly..

If you're on PS4 and want help I can hop in for a kill sometime. Honestly I don't care enough to do Skolas unless it could help people who are trying to take him down.

Shout out to Darknyss and Btkadams for the smooth Skolas run. One first timer, one hour, and one wipe while going through the mechanics of Skolas the first time around. Pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Skolas gave me two primaries this week. What a nice guy.
Thanks for the easy run. I actually haven't bothered with Skolas since they removed burns so it was good to see it 'as intended'.

btkadams

so i finally got that elder cipher bounty. it showed 3 weapons although one seemed kind of grayed out. which is the best one? it was the dreg's promise, lord of wolves, and queenbreaker's bow.

Mindlog

NOTHING IS WORTH IT ANYMORE!
IN THE END IT DOESNT EVEN MATTER.
What's so frustrating about the Skolas fight is Bungie has pretty great set of mechanics right now, but they artificially make it harder with forced under leveling and Lightswitch (every other week). The mechanics alone require such tight communication and patience that neither of the other factors are needed to make a challenging or fun fight. I wish they'd drop Lightswitch, drop the fight to level 34, and buff his health back up proportionally (so we do the same damage as now). It would be pretty much perfect then.

They've done this with other activities as well, but I feel like they are moving in the right direction. Nightfalls post-HoW have been a lot more fun, with less punishing modifiers and a mix of boosts like Brawler in the mix. And all the PoE challenge bosses at least have some type of unique mechanics, though not all are really successful. I feel like they did level 35 out of some sort of reflex to make it harder, not trusting that the encounter they designed was sufficient, when it really is.
Very much agreed. I like the fight mechanics. I would happily repeat it without much improved loot with some tweaks.
You've been a member for a while now.

Last Nightfall. Join up peoples.
If there is still room I will hop in for a second. Gotta get my bounty and No Land Beyond.

I finally leveled up Pocket Infinity after all these months to unlock it's exotic perk. Wish I had a chance to use it back in it's heyday, because it seems kind of crappy now. It's like using a 4th Horseman, but w/ way less damage. At least that's what it feels like. Am I missing something w/ this weapon? Should I not go for the extended mag?

For PvP it's always been about Stability so you want Perfect Balance. For PvE extended mag is good but it's not going to blow your doors off, even before the nerf. The shotgun buff for 100% PvE damage put them so far over the top I doubt the 10% nerf will change much.

Range and Stability work differently for fusion rifles compared to other weapon classes. I don't know details 100% but afaik range affects the speed of the beams while stability affects how tight the cone spread is. There's little or no damage drop off at longer distances but, especially post-nerf, the beams spread out so much you won't hit your target very hard.

If you ever find yourself bored in the Tower, find this corner and float like on the Mercury chest:

hqTvcyBh.jpg

so i finally got that elder cipher bounty. it showed 3 weapons although one seemed kind of grayed out. which is the best one? it was the dreg's promise, lord of wolves, and queenbreaker's bow.

You don't actually pick until the very end, just click anything now.

Queen Bow is fun in PvP and PvE but nothing special for effectiveness.
Lord is fun in PvE, terrible in PvP. Unique, kinda silly shotgun-pulse rifle hybrid.
Dreg's Promise is the worst Exotic in the game. Worse than No Land Beyond.

void666

Banned
I am jelly.

Well, i don't have a ghorn so my loadout is vision of confluence, 4th horseman, some radegast's fury. All 365. 4th horseman is great to melt yellow bar enemies. I'm usually responsible to get rid of captains quickly.
My team mates usually carry a ghorn though.

LTWood12

Lv 35 PoE is even simpler with basic dismantle/destroy/VIP objectives, except for Skolas. For the first time since Atheon, they made an encounter that could stand on its own two feet... so they released it with forced under-leveling, Solar burn, and Skolas' HP more than double any other boss in the game. I can't begin to imagine the rationale behind this.

**There's no such thing as being over-leveled in Destiny.

This so much. On the one hand I commend them making the changes to the encounter one month in, but the fact that they initially looked at this fight and thought arc burn was anything but a joke is incredibly obtuse. Especially given what Skolas health was at the time.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I am jelly.

Fatebringer / Found Verdict / arc Dreamwaker rolled for PvE (don't have a Ghorn) / or HoC

All 3 of us were Titans all specc'd for max orb generation. Always had bubbles.

I wouldn't mind Skolas if the rewards were decent/had a better drop rate. I've never seen an element primary has never dropped for me in multiple runs so now I never run it

Once i got an Elder Cypher, I never bothered with Skolas again. At least with raids, there were multiple parts to get some decent gear at. Now, it's all only at the end. And even then, none of the PoE/Queen weapons really stand out compared to VoG/CE.

In fact, I just have no more desire to play this game atm unfortunately. Maybe I'll do some more PvP, but I've already done everything in PvE, have most, if not all, of the gear I want.

Owensboro

I'm in the Nightfall trying to solo it ATM. It isn't going to go well. Join up and help me beat it!

PSN: OwensboroEsq.

Fireteam set to open, so FR or shoot me a message, or just drop in if you're already on it!

ocean

Banned
Real life being real. Hours cleaning my apartment for a little dinner party to bid a good friend farewell before he leaves France for a year abroad (uni exchange). His favorite music is stuff like Modjo - Lady and Shapeshifters - Lola's Theme. Ideas for more stuff on the playlist in this style?

Also, what's the perks on Bro Vance's armor this week?

SkylineRKR

Real life being real. Hours cleaning my apartment for a little dinner party to bid a good friend farewell before he leaves France for a year abroad (uni exchange). His favorite music is stuff like Modjo - Lady and Shapeshifters - Lola's Theme. Ideas for more stuff on the playlist in this style?

Also, what's the perks on Bro Vance's armor this week?

Roger sanchez - Another chance
Stardust - Music sounds better with you
Sonique - it feels so good
Room 5- Make luv

Those come to mind when I hear Lady.

ocean

Banned
Damn son, Eye of Sol is GOOD.
It's more than perfect. I'm maining it with extreme success on Clash and Control. It doesn't have Ambush and I really hate Shortgaze but Longview has really grown on me. Just sucks that 2 body shots don't always kill since it only does 100. But whatever it's a headshot machine anyways.

It's more than perfect. I'm maining it with extreme success on Clash and Control. It doesn't have Ambush and I really hate Shortgaze but Longview has really grown on me. Just sucks that 2 body shots don't always kill since it only does 100. But whatever it's a headshot machine anyways.

Why is that weapon so good at headshots? A perk or something?

Korosenai

Almost made it to Mercury for the first time but thunderstorms and the reset time conspired against us. Oh well, there's always next weekend. Thanks for the run Koro and Taeshik! We'll get it next time.

We need to hook you up asap on Friday. At least we were able to get you all of the packages before reset. Did you get anything good from them? I got off before I was able to ask you.

Top Bottom