• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

GhaleonEB

Skolas himself without lightswitch is probably my favorite boss fight in Destiny. It requires good team work, coordination and communication.

But it's my least repeated final hard mode encounter in the game. Here are my problems with the whole Skolas PoE:

1) it takes way too long to get to Skolas, and the first five rounds never change so they're boring. It is easily the longest end game PvE content in the game (Even when people were on level with the old content).

2) Even though it take the longest to get there even without wipes, Skolas has no checkpoint even though it is a raid level boss encounter on the same tier as Atheon or Crota. This is Bungie really not respecting players time commitment at all.

3) Skolas has horrible low drop rates for elemental primaries, and making the burns random means that you have a very low chance of getting the gun you want with the burn you want on it.

So the TLDR of it is that even though Skolas is a great encounter by itself, the time commitment required just to get to Skolas is way too high, and the loot drop chances are way too low, and the game doesn't respect your time by giving you any type of checkpoint.
I agree with all of this. A few of the Skolas victories - the first one especially - stand at the top of the most satisfying moments I've had in Destiny so far. I'll never forget the rush of taking him down the first time, with two others that had not done it. It's well designed encounter and encourages extremely tight teamwork. (And punishes poor teamwork.)

A checkpoint is essential. Skolas runs are on par or longer than either raid at this point, in part due to the forced under leveling. Even one, at Skolas, would be just fine. The PoE rep should be given a bit after each round as it does in the level 28 PoE.

Other than the elementary primary drops needing to be increased, it should also drop 2 etheric light. It's too scarce in PvE and Skolas is a huge time commitment for what is a highly valuable reward, it should not be on par with what drops in the level 34. These weapons should be able to be re-rolled for the burn of our choosing, as with other HoW gear. I landed an arc hand cannon for my first, which will never get use as I have Fatebringer. I'd have loved void or solar. :\

ocean

Banned
Roger sanchez - Another chance
Stardust - Music sounds better with you
Sonique - it feels so good
Room 5- Make luv

Those come to mind when I hear Lady.
Great choices thanks! DGAF delivers :)
Why is that weapon so good at headshots? A perk or something?
Super high Aim Assistance along with scopes that further enhance target acquisition. Comes with Snapshot, which can let you aim more quickly - usually the difference between out sniping a guy and getting a trade. Also, Unflinching and Army of One. I'd have liked an Ammo perk like Double Down instead of Army of One but it's still a lovely weapon.

It fires super quickly too - quicker even than Praedyth's. Only drawback is being low impact it's not good for 3v3 modes since you'll be unable to shoot through revive shields.

It's more than perfect. I'm maining it with extreme success on Clash and Control. It doesn't have Ambush and I really hate Shortgaze but Longview has really grown on me. Just sucks that 2 body shots don't always kill since it only does 100. But whatever it's a headshot machine anyways.

Yeah for sure, like I took it in for a couple of games in Salvage and it was wrecking people. It was so good.

ocean

Banned
It has a base aim assist of 41 which before any additional perks is fairly high. Only snipers with a higher base value are the LDR , Shadow of Veils, and Longbow Synthesis
61. Only below Patience & Time and Shadow of Veils. So good.

purg3

slept with Malkin
61. Only below Patience & Time and Shadow of Veils. So good.

is that including the scope aim assist? Reddit guide I read a while ago had it listed at 41 base I thought. If that's the base value then I need to pull mine out of the vault and check it out lol

SkylineRKR

Had a very bad game at cauldron, but should've been in bed by now. Saw some legendaries dropped, 'hmm the guy in 2nd... uppercut payload sucks'. 'And that guy in 4th... he got Ash factory. Hmm sharded it and kind of want it back too'.

Then I went into my own inventory. That guy was me. lmao.

Planning to go for clown cartridge instead of tripod this time, I think its better for PvP.

ocean

Banned
I see, if only i was better at sniping people maybe then i would try it :(
It takes a while getting used to. There's three things you need to learn:

1. How to get the headshots. This is just practice, it comes with time.
2. Positioning. There's sniping lanes on most maps. Learn them. They're places where you're relatively covered and have a view to an area you know enemies will be crossing. Some maps have super obvious lanes like Shores of Time or Pantheon or that beautiful hallway on Anomaly. On others, it's not that easy to snipe tbh but you'll figure out which maps are good for what. I still don't know how to snipe in Firebase Delphi for instance.
3. Decision making. If there's 3 snipers across a hall, trying to snipe them is a bad idea. If there's a guy rushing you with Blink, you probably wanna jump the hell away instead of going for the MLG super pro mid air headshot before you get Matadored :p some times you'll be trading shots and missing with another fidgety sniper, just wasting ammo and losing your sense of everything else going on since you're distracted with that one guy.

ocean

Banned
It takes a while getting used to. There's three things you need to learn:

1. How to get the headshots. This is just practice, it comes with time.
2. Positioning. There's sniping lanes on most maps. Learn them. They're places where you're relatively covered and have a view to an area you know enemies will be crossing. Some maps have super obvious lanes like Shores of Time or Pantheon or that beautiful hallway on Anomaly. On others, it's not that easy to snipe tbh but you'll figure out which maps are good for what. I still don't know how to snipe in Firebase Delphi for instance.
3. Decision making. If there's 3 snipers across a hall, trying to snipe them is a bad idea. If there's a guy rushing you with Blink, you probably wanna jump the hell away instead of going for the MLG super pro mid air headshot before you get Matadored :p some times you'll be trading shots and missing with another fidgety sniper, just wasting ammo and losing your sense of everything else going on since you're distracted with that one guy.

Thanks for the tips maybe i will try again lol

I've had decent success with a LGH with shortgaze and snapshot. I should probably give Eye of Sol another try though, I've had a maxed one sitting in NY vault for weeks.

Just tried some salvage and wow. Teams in there were harder than anything I've seen in trials! Basically spawn camped from first relic onwards.

Said it before, but the elemental primary drop rate from Skolas should be 100%, no less. Given the amount of combinations that absolutely suck thanks to the fallen perks, 3 each week would be just enough to allow players to amass a useful weapon of each type, in the element they want, after a month or two of 3x clears.

EL CUCO

is that including the scope aim assist? Reddit guide I read a while ago had it listed at 41 base I thought. If that's the base value then I need to pull mine out of the vault and check it out lol

http://db.planetdestiny.com/items/weapons/special/sniper?sort=aim&desc=1&tier=0

Every Sniper, sorted by base aim assistance.

Look at Eye of Sol's beautiful Equip Speed and aim assistance. It's glorious. With Snapshot it just feels like it's always ready to go.
The numbers Mason! What do they mean??
Oddly enough, I rarely get sniped by SoV or EoS. The most intimidating Sniper to me is Ice Breaker. Idk what it is, but when a see a person next to me combust, a shiver. Praedyth's Revenge is another one that bullet hoses you if you aren't looking. At the end of the day, it's what feels good in your hands :)

zewone

Said it before, but the elemental primary drop rate from Skolas should be 100%, no less. Given the amount of combinations that absolutely suck thanks to the fallen perks, 3 each week would be just enough to allow players to amass a useful weapon of each type, in the element they want, after a month or two of 3x clears.

Selfishly, I'm really glad Skolas drops nothing of worth.

I have no reason/desire to ever do PoE ever again.

SkylineRKR

The numbers Mason! What do they mean??
Oddly enough, I rarely get sniped by SoV or EoS. The most intimidating Sniper to me is Ice Breaker. Idk what it is, but when a see a person next to me combust, a shiver. Praedyth's Revenge is another one that bullet hoses you if you aren't looking. At the end of the day, it's what feels good in your hands :)

Not many players have SoV and EoS yet perhaps. Players who roll with IB seem to know what they're doing, its probably not a newbie choice.

Praedyth is deadly and used it a lot when i was into sniping as well. Its ROF also makes a double body shot easy enough. But I think Patience and Time is the most dominant Sniper Rifle in the game, though a bit underused nowadays. With LDR and Longbow not far behind.

Namikaze1

Gonna need to play as my Warlock this weekend for the boots since it has heavy perk. Still mad at myself for skipping out the week the hunter boots had it.

Selfishly, I'm really glad Skolas drops nothing of worth.

I have no reason/desire to ever do PoE ever again.

I think that's how a lot of people feel given the amount of posts about the worthlessness of Skolas by people who don't do the fight.

I get it, though. Bungie erred way too far on the side of caution with the new weapons given the arduousness of the encounter as a whole (length, static modifiers, no checkpoints, level 35 enemies, etc.).

Shito

Thank you Lunar FC and tick, quick and easy nightfalls.
An etheric light and a slightly better armamentarium than the one I had: could be worse!

aarcane

VoG HM. Need two more on XB1.

Thanks for the VoG run and the nightfall. Didn't get any weapons from the Vault, but I did get a full set of armour.

fgdOVSO.jpg

So, sad as I am, I decided to equip the Chatterwhite and run around the tower. "Look at me! Look at me! What do you mean you got bored with people doing this in October?"

Top Bottom