• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

Auctopus

Okay, so I've been playing the Trial Edition of Destiny for the last week. This is the second time I've played the game, the first being the trial.

I'm tempted to jump in with The Taken King Edition in September however, I'm still unsure whether the game is for me.

I don't mind the grind. I've heard encouraging things about ex-WoW players (like myself) enjoying the grind for new gear. Something I can enjoy. But I've also read that the end-game is empty and pointless, something I never experienced with WoW. (Sorry for all the comparisons, I know they've very different).

I know it's very multiplayer centric too, which I don't mind but is there anyone on here who doesn't have IRL friends to play with but feels content with Destiny GAF?

So, I drew up some Pros and Cons

Pros
+ Art design, armours etc.
+ Getting new items is satisfying etc.
+ Patrolling is fun.
+ I like the bounties/challenges etc.

Cons
- What I've played of the story seems pointless.
- Lots of backtracking, repetitiveness.
- Sounds like Bungie is rinsing customers of money with no respect. Emote shit etc.
- Seems like a very shallow game with not much content.

So, I know it's a subjective question. But do you think this is the game for me? Keep in mind that I'll be jumping in with The Taken King.

Any answers/opinions appreciated.

purg3

slept with Malkin

If you are jumping in with TTK, then there will a ton of content to keep you busy for a while. Strikes/Nightfalls, Raids, PoE, Crucible, Trials, Iron Banner. Plus running raids on Hard for different rewards, gearing up,etc.

Also, Destiny GAF is a great community. You don't need IRL friends that play to enjoy this game. Tons of awesome people in here to play with.

After switching to the Last Word, I think I actually like it more than Thorn.

Have yet to go back to Thorn after switch to TLW.

Shito

Okay, so I've been playing the Trial Edition of Destiny for the last week. This is the second time I've played the game, the first being the trial.

I'm tempted to jump in with The Taken King Edition in September however, I'm still unsure whether the game is for me.

I don't mind the grind. I've heard encouraging things about ex-WoW players (like myself) enjoying the grind for new gear. Something I can enjoy. But I've also read that the end-game is empty and pointless, something I never experienced with WoW. (Sorry for all the comparisons, I know they've very different).

I know it's very multiplayer centric too, which I don't mind but is there anyone on here who doesn't have IRL friends to play with but feels content with Destiny GAF?

Pros
+ Patrolling is fun.

Cons
- Sounds like Bungie is rinsing customers of money with no respect. Emote shit etc.

So, I know it's a subjective question. But do you think this is the game for me? Keep in mind that I'll be jumping in with The Taken King.

The good thing about Destiny, compared to WoW or regular MMOs, is that you don't have any monthly fee to pay. In that sense, i don't really agree in saying that Bungie is "rinsing" customers: you don't have to buy the overpriced emotes, and you only buy expansions if you feel like you want to keep on playing the game.
The story *is* pointless, and the whole structure of the game is indeed quite repetitive, but where the game shines is when playing it with other people, especially the raids or the pvp modes. This is what most people get hooked on, and it's the game best asset; sadly it takes quite a few hours of grinding to get there, even if it really got better on that point compared to when it released.
Destiny GAF is an awesome community, quite inclusive and willing to help newcomers for quite anything they need: if you have a GAF account and are not afraid of posting here and joining games or asking for help, you have no reason to complain about not having anyone to play it with, really. :)

E92 M3

After switching to the Last Word, I think I actually like it more than Thorn.

Finally you see the light, Koro.

If you are jumping in with TTK, then there will a ton of content to keep you busy for a while. Strikes/Nightfalls, Raids, PoE, Crucible, Trials, Iron Banner. Plus running raids on Hard for different rewards, gearing up,etc.

Also, Destiny GAF is a great community. You don't need IRL friends that play to enjoy this game. Tons of awesome people in here to play with.

You don't even need a real life anymore, actually.

Auctopus

That's great to hear, thanks for the answer.

The good thing about Destiny, compared to WoW or regular MMOs, is that you don't have any monthly fee to pay. In that sense, i don't really agree in saying that Bungie is "rinsing" customers: you don't have to buy the overpriced emotes, and you only buy expansions if you feel like you want to keep on playing the game.
The story *is* pointless, and the whole structure of the game is indeed quite repetitive, but where the game shines is when playing it with other people, especially the raids or the pvp modes. This is what most people get hooked on, and it's the game best asset; sadly it takes quite a few hours of grinding to get there, even if it really got better on that point compared to when it released.
Destiny GAF is an awesome community, quite inclusive and willing to help newcomers for quite anything they need: if you have a GAF account and are not afraid of posting here and joining games or asking for help, you have no reason to complain about not having anyone to play it with, really. :)

Sounds like it might be worth it then, I'll mull it over some more. Might be a post-Phantom Pain purchase. Glad to hear the community here is solid.

I think only you can decide if the game is for you, but I fall into the above. None of my friends play destiny, so nearly all of my groups have been with fellow dgaf. It's been a lot of fun playing with dgaf, and is a large part of what has gotten me back into destiny after stopping playing around the time vault of glass opened last year. Everyone I've grouped with from here has been great, I wouldn't let the multiplayer centric gameplay worry you.

LiK

Same. I'm more of a Hawkmoon guy, but I sure wish I had TLW. :(

Hawkmoon is like the Thorn with a touch of TLW, imo. I still prefer TLW more but Hawkmoon is slowly growing on me as I get used to the way it handles. I have yet to be able to test it out in PVP with Gaffers since nobody wants to play with me.

Lnkn52

Doesn't seem that Kadey wants to use this for her sticks, so I'm sharing it with you guys. Don't want the design to go to waste.

DestinyWallpaper.jpg

Pros
+ Patrolling is fun.

Cons

-This community is made up of people who play mostly or completely with Destiny-Gaf. I have 0 IRL friends that own a PS4 and my PSN friends list had 0 people when I started Destiny. Now it has 475, mostly from Gaf. Player base is smaller on X1 but still healthy and helpful.

-Vanilla Destiny had way too little content to support the required grind but still had plenty compared to other big FPS games like CoD. With the two expansions and the reduced grind, there's so much to do each week even serious players like myself rarely complete it all. I wouldn't call the end-game remotely barren but I've never played WoW or any MMO.

-The story is pointless, so hopefully that's not a deal breaker. Personally I'm all about gameplay and only care about a story if it's great. There is some really good lore/world building hidden in the background if you care enough to read up.

-There is a lot of repetitiveness but the gameplay is so superb and the community here is so great that I always have fun playing. I never would have stuck with the game long if not for all the great people I've met. Although a lot of your mileage might depend on how much you like FPS PvP, which is much more replayable than most of the PvE.

-The pricing stuff is bad, no defense here. I won't buy the $20 emotes and I don't really play other games anymore so the expansion costs don't bother me at all. I'm probably not the best person to talk about price.

Anyway, hope this helps and let me know if you have other questions!

LiK

-This community is made up of people who play mostly or completely with Destiny-Gaf. I have 0 IRL friends that own a PS4 and my PSN friends list had 0 people when I started Destiny. Now it has 475, mostly from Gaf. Player base is smaller on X1 but still healthy and helpful.

-Vanilla Destiny had way too little content to support the required grind but still had plenty compared to other big FPS games like CoD. With the two expansions and the reduced grind, there's so much to do each week even serious players like myself rarely complete it all. I wouldn't call the end-game remotely barren but I've never played WoW or any MMO.

-The story is pointless, so hopefully that's not a deal breaker. Personally I'm all about gameplay and only care about a story if it's great. There is some really good lore/world building hidden in the background if you care enough to read up.

-There is a lot of repetitiveness but the gameplay is so superb and the community here is so great that I always have fun playing. I never would have stuck with the game long if not for all the great people I've met. Although a lot of your mileage might depend on how much you like FPS PvP, which is much more replayable than most of the PvE.

-The pricing stuff is bad, no defense here. I won't buy the $20 emotes and I don't really play other games anymore so the expansion costs don't bother me at all. I'm probably not the best person to talk about price.

Anyway, hope this helps and let me know if you have other questions!

you're so popular now I can't even play PVP with you anymore.

Korosenai

same here. I never liked the feel of Thorn.

That's because it's better BloodTrail

And more fun to use!

Have yet to go back to Thorn after switch to TLW.

Finally you see the light, Koro.

You don't even need a real life anymore, actually.
It's an awesome weapon with a huge skill curve. Didn't even realize until recently I've been using it wrong as well. I've always held the trigger down to use it, whether ads or using hip fire... So I've been at a huge disadvantage this whole time.

You were getting noticeably better with it last night. Especially when you almost shut that team out in Salvage.

I'm hoping Xur sells it tomorrow.
That was just sad. I hope they didn't return their games already.

LiK

It's an awesome weapon with a huge skill curve. Didn't even realize until recently I've been using it wrong as well. I've always held the trigger down to use it, whether ads or using hip fire... So I've been at a huge disadvantage this whole time.

I do fine with the Thorn but it feels like shooting an air gun. I just love the way the TLW and Hawkmoon feels/sounds way more.

I'll keep an eye out for those, and shard everything but the plug one.

Give/Take is sold at the Vanguard vendor and obviously re-rollable. Snake is a Dragon Strike drop and also re-rollable. I have one of both, they are extremely similar although Snake has very slightly higher impact/lower charge rate and lower stability than Give.

Unless you want to grind Dragons for fun and/or Hypescoth, just buy the Give and roll it for either Hidden Hand or Hip Fire on the first perk then Accelerated Coils in the middle. Last perk can vary, Hot Swap is decent especially for Blade Dancers with Quick Draw. Army of One is okay, apparently Range Finder does nothing on Fusions (range works totally different on fusions) but the first two perks are the important ones.

The problem with all 3 of these Fusions, including Plug One, is that they fall into the high impact/slow charge category that is getting further nerfed in TTK. The alternate low impact/fast charge class is getting buffed and includes Light of the Abyss(Crota), Perun's Fire (IBanner) and Exile's Curse (Trials). Honestly Exiles Curse is similar to other Trials weapons where it's clearly been designed for PvP. It has fast charge, Hip Fire, Quick Draw, and Hot Swap which is ideal for quickly switching from your primary and blasting fools.

I'd still keep the Plug One and/or buy a Give Take but bear in mind they might be useless in TTK PvP. Impossible to know until the weapon balances go live.

purg3

slept with Malkin

I was doing the same thing when I first started using it, and I was like "this sucks, I'm going back to Thorn." Then someone here pointed me towards Zoba's TLW guide, and that helped immensely.

E92 M3

lol

Yeah, I love pulsing the trigger for controlled bursts and sometimes auto fire hip helps when close range. Overall, the weapon takes a lot to master is a ton of fun. Certainly more dynamic than Thorn.

Doesn't seem that Kadey wants to use this for her sticks, so I'm sharing it with you guys. Don't want the design to go to waste.

Wat. Why not. We'll use it for the OT, it's awesome like always.

Lol I feel like I never have time to play with all the cool people here, especially since HoW and the 3-man teams. Honestly I haven't been playing as much recently (relative to my previous crazy amounts). A lot of times it's in the middle of the night, at weird hours etc.

We should definitely do some Trials this weekend! I bet we can talk Fig or Todd or Rubenov or into helping out. Stable will probably be busy but who knows.

matmanx1

Hilarious. And I am sort of in awe watching it.

http://destinytracker.com/
Pick your system, and username.
Select Crucible, and scroll down, looking at the middle column for "Hours Played (PvP)"
I only have 118 hours in PvP.

My K/D is up to .94! This is actually sort of amazing to me because I am not an FPS guy or a twitch gamer in any way. I started off Destiny and that first IB I was below a .5 K/D. For me to be almost 1.0 K/D is pretty shocking and pleasing. I have come a long way but still have plenty of room to grow!

P44

Can you give me tips on using it?

Because I generally hold down for fan fire as well. :X it works well enough but..

Top Bottom