• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

Unstable has brainwashed me into prioritizing revives over everything else, so now it's like I can't NOT do it. Multiple times tonight Rubenov was like "he's gonna revive snipe don't revive me don't revive me" revived->dead
Here you can either shove the person after reviving them, or run in front of them after reviving which should throw off the snipers aim.

This.

When reviving in trials, when reviving you should always, always, always run In front of whoever you're reviving just as the get up.

You get max Overshield/Shields/Health. Plus moving infront throws their aim off.

It's a valuable simple thing to do which makes a massive difference.

MattyG

Banned
So I traded in Destiny back in March, and I hadn't bought either of the expansions... but I just bought the Digital CE of The Taken King, and the game + the 2 expansions are downloading right now.

My character is a level 20. So, someone tell me what my plan of attack should be. What should I do when I hop on tomorrow? I assume getting to level 30 should be a priority?

Looking through old pictures, and noticed that the ability icons used to be a greenl-ish color instead of the current blue. When did that change?

One of the first patches addressed that (last October, I think?). The old color was much too light to see and it was confusing whether the ability was charged or not.

So I traded in Destiny back in March, and I hadn't bought either of the expansions... but I just bought the Digital CE of The Taken King, and the game + the 2 expansions are downloading right now.

My character is a level 20. So, someone tell me what my plan of attack should be. What should I do when I hop on tomorrow? I assume getting to level 30 should be a priority?

Grind crucible to get marks and buy some armor. A full set will put you to 32. Then you can do PoE level 32 which will give you a currency to use to buy a armor piece that will get you to 34 with a full set. If you're good at multi-player you can also get max light gear from trials once you hit level 32.

maomaoIYP

Getting your character to level 32 is your priority. Easiest way to do this is to play either crucible or strikes until you have enough marks to buy them from the vendors. At 32 you can do the weekly nightfall, and most of the other high level activities. Then you will need to do the PoE events to get to 34.

The no Skolas checkpoint is brutal if you can't get it done as you get sucked into the one more try syndrome and the next thing you know its 3hrs later

I've still yet to see this time beat http://destinytracker.com/dg/2668680093 I'd replied to an LFG post on Arc week and the guy was from Austin Tx, he'd started at 6pm and it was 12pm the next day when I joined up

When we killed him 30 mins later I genuinely thought he was going to start crying :d Stats were 13 1/2hrs at Skolas, 18hrs 48m total

The no Skolas checkpoint is brutal if you can't get it done as you get sucked into the one more try syndrome and the next thing you know its 3hrs later

I've still yet to see this time beat http://destinytracker.com/dg/2668680093 I'd replied to an LFG post on Arc week and the guy was from Austin Tx, he'd started at 6pm and it was 12pm the next day when I joined up

When we killed him 30 mins later I genuinely thought he was going to start crying :d Stats were 13 1/2hrs at Skolas, 18hrs 48m total

Holy shit dude.... I would break down. 18 hours in PoE? 13 of those at the final boss? Fuck...

Think I'm going to forget about TTK and min-maxing. Hawkmoon is my favorite gun in the game, and I'm sticking with it from now on.

Also, I have a feeling it may survive the upcoming nerfs better than it's brethren in the Holy Trinity of Hand Cannons.

adin75

That is insane, I would have broken things and quit waaay before then.

Think I'm going to forget about TTK and min-maxing. Hawkmoon is my favorite gun in the game, and I'm sticking with it from now on.

Also, I have a feeling it may survive the upcoming nerfs better than it's brethren in the Holy Trinity of Hand Cannons.

Hawkmoon is one of the few Kinetic weapons I still feel is worth using on PvE. I miss using SUROS and other AR's.

Had the most awesome rematch in trials tonight. We went 3-5 (I think) on thieves den against what we felt was a pretty elite team. Their sniper was close sniping and could peek out for a heartbeat and get a head shot.

We didn't go to orbit, so of course we got them again. Couldn't have been a scrub team that we face back to back. What did we do? Did we cower? No. We wrekt them 5-0!

Ugh... I hate this thorn bounty. 293 out of 500 and it's taking forever. Doesn't help that I'm using weapons I'm not comfortable with for the stupid void points.

Is there even a void Scout or Pulse?

Ugh... I hate this thorn bounty. 293 out of 500 and it's taking forever. Doesn't help that I'm using weapons I'm not comfortable with for the stupid void points.

Is there even a void Scout or Pulse?

From ToO lighthouse or PoE 35.. The way I did it way back when was by using corrective measure and camping the heavy. With field scout you can basically destroy and still have some ammo left over until the next heavy spawns.

Ever since people found out the Hopscotch Pilgirm drops in dragon strikes and how good the pulse rifle is compared to the other top pvp weapons(depending on rolls), people have been farming for it.

Oh. I though Something had changed, like the item now having a higher chance of dropping.
Got a Snakebite Surgeon (Arc) yesterday, and this would be the first time I like using a Pulse Rifle. It feels more focused compared to other things I have tried.

Oh. I though Something had changed, like the item now having a higher chance of dropping.
Got a Snakebite Surgeon (Arc) yesterday, and this would be the first time I like using a Pulse Rifle. It feels more focused compared to other things I have tried.

I'm probably going to rustle some jimmies by saying this, but I really don't enjoy HP at all. I was helping a buddy farm for it and it dropped for me about 2 strikes in. I jokingly said I was going to dismantle it and he said to me in a stone-cold voice, "don't do that" (˵¯͒ བ¯͒˵)

Anyway, it fires far too slowly for my tastes, and really just feels like a re-rollable messenger. And considering messenger has a near-perfect PvP roll, it's just like "do you really want to spend all that time grinding for it?" But then again I'm not really a big fan of the messenger either so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess it's akin to grinding for an ash factory and then rolling for perfect perks instead of using the trials RL.

Monster Zero

I'm probably going to rustle some jimmies by saying this, but I really don't enjoy HP at all. I was helping a buddy farm for it and it dropped for me about 2 strikes in. I jokingly said I was going to dismantle it and he said to me in a stone-cold voice, "don't do that" (˵¯͒ བ¯͒˵)

Anyway, it fires far too slowly for my tastes, and really just feels like a re-rollable messenger. And considering messenger has a near-perfect PvP roll, it's just like "do you really want to spend all that time grinding for it?" But then again I'm not really a big fan of the messenger either so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I guess it's akin to grinding for an ash factory and then rolling for perfect perks instead of using the trials RL.

It's a 2 shot kill pulse rifle, you can't get much better

Trace

Banned

Anyway, it fires far too slowly for my tastes, and really just feels like a re-rollable messenger. And considering messenger has a near-perfect PvP roll, it's just like "do you really want to spend all that time grinding for it?" But then again I'm not really a big fan of the messenger either so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I got a kau8 constellation scar and honestly if this gun didn't have such a severe bullet pull to the left I think it'd be better than Hopscotch for most PvP.

adin75

Anyway, it fires far too slowly for my tastes, and really just feels like a re-rollable messenger. And considering messenger has a near-perfect PvP roll, it's just like "do you really want to spend all that time grinding for it?" But then again I'm not really a big fan of the messenger either so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

These guns are a nice alternative for those who may not be great at trials though.

Everybody says "grinding", but in my concept of "grinding" you usually attain something every time you have a battle, even if it is a bit of XP. Here, coming out of the strike with empty hands most of the time feels more like buying lottery scratch cards.

Just my uneducated opinion, I guess. Time is a too precious resource for me to waste it for a chance of getting an item, so I have given up on the idea of having awesome gear. I'd happy if I would get something better than my Admonisher III Rocket Launcher (my only purple heavy weapon), as it does nothing on bosses.

Speaking of legendaries, is there anything goo to buy from the Vanguard Armory? I'm close to reaching the limit of marks I can have and i was going to spend them on a better sparrow.

ocean

Banned

Hopscotch Pilgrim is like Messenger, but with better Aim Assistance and Stability, along with the flexibility of being reforge ready to suit your personal sights/perks preference. Basically very close but slightly better.

Same with Ash Factory/Radegast's Fury. You want the same roll as Tomorrow's Answer and you get higher Velocity + higher Blast Radius. Similar experience, but slightly better.

The thing you're observing boils down to this: a lot of us have every Exotic in the game or are missing only one or two. By now, having every good Raid weapon is fairly easy. PoE weapons, other than the Sniper, are nothing special. Vendors are selling very few weapons truly worth owning.

Basically right now the most attractive weapons are slight, marginal improvements over the old stuff and are random drops that people are going after. Matador 64, Party Crasher +1, Low Grade Humility, Hopscotch Pilgrim, Ash Factory, BTRD are all absolutely top-tier. Are they significantly better than some easier to find alternatives? No. But even that slight edge is enough to drive people :)

Random playlist drops are currently more attractive than actual endgame rewards. If Bungie's plan was to make Strike playlists even a tiny bit attractive they did it. Honestly who the hell played Strikes before this hunt :p

It's a 2 shot kill pulse rifle, you can't get much better

Messenger can also two-shot though... I'm not saying it's a bad gun, just not worth running hours and hours of strikes if you aren't a die-hard pulse rifle lover.

Honestly who the hell played Strikes before this hunt :p

Haha true. The outcome isn't bad at all - and a lot of the time running the strike playlist can be much less infuriating than dealing with crucible shenanigans.

And I'm writing all this with plans to go hunt for a husk drop once bungie fixes that issue lol

adin75

Everybody says "grinding", but in my concept of "grinding" you usually attain something every time you have a battle, even if it is a bit of XP. Here, coming out of the strike with empty hands most of the time feels more like buying lottery scratch cards.

Just my uneducated opinion, I guess. Time is a too precious resource for me to waste it for a chance of getting an item, so I have given up on the idea of having awesome gear. I'd happy if I would get something better than my Admonisher III Rocket Launcher (my only purple heavy weapon), as it does nothing on bosses.

Speaking of legendaries, is there anything goo to buy from the Vanguard Armory? I'm close to reaching the limit of marks I can have and i was going to spend them on a better sparrow.

The allFATE is a pretty good pulse rifle if you reroll for the right perks, one of my fave pvp guns. Most vendor gear is kinda rough without re rolling.

Most of the best legendary guns are in the raids, try and get them done on at least one guardian a week, nightfall and weekly too.

ocean

Banned

1. Rockets on bosses are generally not that great. Gjallarhorn gets a ton of praise but it only makes a meaningful difference when you have multiple people using them. Otherwise you'll still need over a dozen rockets on a boss. In general, Snipers are the best source of sustained high damage to bosses. I recall you don't play much PvP? Maybe you can play some PoE 28. Treasure Key could land you the Queen's rocket, which is fantastic with the right perks.
2. If you play Dragon Strikes, it shouldn't feel like a lottery. Chances of a drop are pretty good. Lower level playlists are nothing but trash though.
3. Vanguard Armory has zero worthwhile weapons on sale. Scout and Fusion Rifles aren't terrible though to be fair.

Speaking of weapons (since I've had a few drinks and the ideas are flowing), I wish TK would bring more weapon classes with it.

I feel like bullet hose ARs should be re-classified as SMGs so that ARs can be more viable for med-long range encounters, and SMGs can be separately tuned for close-range gunfights (kind of like a less dramatic version of the hand cannon/sidearm distinction we have now). SMGs could be equipped in your special slot as a sustained DPS med-close range alternative to FRs and long-range shotties.

Also, separating snipers into heavy snipers & DMRs would be sublime. Existing snipers would be classified as DMRs, and heavy snipers would be like AMRs (OHK to the body, but weapon handling is super slow, and you must be scoped in to fire). For all the flak Killzone gets, I think it handles the heavy sniper archetype pretty well: http://i.imgur.com/bcspEyB.gif

Heavy snipers would of course be equipped in your heavy slot and do damage on-par with RLs.

ocean

Banned
As I've said before I'd rather play the game with no weapons and only one analog stick than to use a damn Pulse Rifle so that Hopscotch thing is not something I'll grind for. I hope they never lock a good Hand Cannon or Sniper behind Strike playlist though. I can't bear the thought of spending hours cycling through the same 6 Strikes 10 months after first getting tired of them :p

Chowder: a heavy sniper that one hits to the body would be like a Rocket Launcher, but requiring actual aim. Sounds interesting, they could offset the increased difficulty of landing the shot with higher ammo count - something between RL and machine gun. I like how it sounds but don't know if they'd manage to properly tune it. Too little ammo and it's just a worse rocket launcher. Too much and you're giving people a dozen free kills.

a heavy sniper that one hits to the body would be like a Rocket Launcher, but requiring actual aim. Sounds interesting, they could offset the increased difficulty of landing the shot with higher ammo count - something between RL and machine gun. I like how it sounds but don't know if they'd manage to properly tune it. Too little ammo and it's just a worse rocket launcher. Too much and you're giving people a dozen free kills.

I was thinking it would be like the spartan laser in halo games, but the maps on halo were much, much larger than the maps in destiny, so I'm not sure it would work lol

btkadams

Speaking of weapons (since I've had a few drinks and the ideas are flowing), I wish TK would bring more weapon classes with it.

I feel like bullet hose ARs should be re-classified as SMGs so that ARs can be more viable for med-long range encounters, and SMGs can be separately tuned for close-range gunfights (kind of like a less dramatic version of the hand cannon/sidearm distinction we have now). SMGs could be equipped in your special slot as a sustained DPS med-close range alternative to FRs and long-range shotties.

Also, separating snipers into heavy snipers & DMRs would be sublime. Existing snipers would be classified as DMRs, and heavy snipers would be like AMRs (OHK to the body, but weapon handling is super slow, and you must be scoped in to fire). For all the flak Killzone gets, I think it handles the heavy sniper archetype pretty well

bcspEyB.gif

Heavy snipers would of course be equipped in your heavy slot and do damage on-par with RLs.
I agree that there should be more weapon types.

I was thinking today that it'd be cool if there was a gun that "lobbed" projectiles, like how a grenade launcher usually works in video games versus a straight-shooting rocket launcher.

Some sort of laser gun that holds a steady stream on enemies would be cool too. They really could have a lot of far fetched weapon types thrown in since they already have pretty out-there weapon perks and super attacks.

I agree that there should be more weapon types.

I was thinking today that it'd be cool if there was a gun that "lobbed" projectiles, like how a grenade launcher usually works in video games versus a straight-shooting rocket launcher.

Some sort of laser gun that holds a steady stream on enemies would be cool too. They really could have a lot of far fetched weapon types thrown in since they already have pretty out-there weapon perks and super attacks.

Yeah, actually just having more weapons that aren't quite as high-risk high-reward would be great. A lot of the guns right now seem to be focused on providing as much burst damage as possible, but having more guns that do sustained damage over time, or weapons where you need to track the target as you fire would be fun.

And yeah, if bungie is going with the whole mythic sci-fi genre, I wish they would be more creative with weapons, instead of sticking with the same old ARs and shotguns and whatnot.

At least ammunition seems to be compatible between all races in the galaxy. Most alien weapons were crap in the Halo series, and I'd not like that mechanic coming back.

Okay i've got a spare few hours today, starting from now DGAF, so anyone that needs helps with anything be it PoE, ToO, Raids etc give me a shout and i'll happily help out/carry/sherpa whatever.

Either quote me on here or send me a PSN message.

PSN - Souldestroyer199

Ok so which is better cause ive rolled a dreamwaker with javelin/tripod/horshoes then radagast fury i have an ash factory but is it worth all the mote/weapon parts?

Okay i've got a spare few hours today, starting from now DGAF, so anyone that needs helps with anything be it PoE, ToO, Raids etc give me a shout and i'll happily help out/carry/sherpa whatever.

Either quote me on here or send me a PSN message.

PSN - Souldestroyer199

If we find a third I wouldn't mind a trials run. Armour on warlock would be nice as a minimum but aim for Mercury as always. If we get there then awesome. If not we will have fun on the way

Top Bottom