• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

purg3

slept with Malkin
What rank do you get the bonus at? To be clear I'm referencing what someone said above about getting a bonus on all characters once you hit a certain rank, not the bonus item you buy with a Mote (?).

Yeah I wasn't certain of that, I heard that from someone else hence the (?)

PuMa

Really? How did it come up in conversation on the show?

Some of his producers are into video games actually and feed him the info. He actually went on one of his podcast rants (as he often does) and got into a whole spiel about who PootiePie was (how he pronounced PewDiePie). They had no idea who he was and were doubting someone who told them how much money the guy made from his YT channel.

Dave_6

Well, first person through Skolas School. Cruised through to Skolas and hit a brick wall for a few rounds, had some unlucky draws with mines appearing super fast but it finally cooperated. No hunters didn't help for the mine section. Thanks HidingMyThunder for joining in. Next run will likely be one more Thursday night and then most of the weekend we'll bang this out.

Skolas School:
1. SheHateMe
2. Boombloxer
3. Sengar
4. Inco (sunsinger warlock)
5. KINGofCRA5H-
6. Nightzoor
7. Reluctant-hero
8. matmanx1
9. DeviantBoi
10. Dark1421

Landed a Solar Aegis of the Kell II, just need that elemental Wolfslayer's Claw now. Elder Cipher for Sengar.

Add me to this list please! Taking down Skolas is the only thing left I need to complete my Triumphs. PSN is DaveS78

LiK

Some of his producers are into video games actually and feed him the info. He actually went on one of his podcast rants (as he often does) and got into a whole spiel about who PootiePie was (how he pronounced PewDiePie). They had no idea who he was and were doubting someone who told them how much money the guy made from his YT channel.

Hah, Howard is great but he really doesn't understand how much money popular people can make from podcasts and YouTube these days.

PuMa

What rank do you get the bonus at? To be clear I'm referencing what someone said above about getting a bonus on all characters once you hit a certain rank, not the bonus item you buy with a Mote (?).

Rank 2 or higher. Any alt below that character will get another buff.

Namikaze1

That's the second time a Gjallarhorn dropped for someone on my nightfall run today. Got HoPF with much better roll than the one I have.

PuMa

Hah, Howard is great but he really doesn't understand how much money popular people can make from podcasts and YouTube these days.

Yeah, he's still the King of all Media, but he's definitely behind the times when it comes to streaming and gaming.

Does anyone know if the Husk drop rate bug has been fixed yet? Just did Crota HM for the first time yesterday, and wouldn't mind picking up Necro to see the buffs come September.

Izuna

Banned
Before HoW, I had a combination of about 2000 Shards and Energies across the board. I have converted so many to motes and glimmer (in desperate need of Weapons Parts of which I had over 1400 of) that I now have simply 100 Ass Shards and that's it.

It's not all bad though, I have reforged a perfect version of the Matador 64, Hopscotch, Ill Will, Fulcrum, BTRD etc.

But now I have 9 weapon parts. Barely any motes, but I guess I go have 96 Exotic Shards.

I hope Exotic Shards turn into something...

I am now going to try and play both VoG and TDB again weekly to get all of the Ass and Radiant I need to get everything back through buying the ToO weapon and dismantling until I have AT LEAST 700 weapon parts.

--

I'm about to do that math.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I haven't maxed my greaves :( I'm guessing the smash would do as much damage? I'll try it for science later

These things are so much fun in PoE when Brawler is an active modifier. 3 Titans kneeing everything in the face was one of the funniest things I've seen playing this game. That damage.

These things are so much fun in PoE when Brawler is an active modifier. 3 Titans kneeing everything in the face was one of the funniest things I've seen playing this game. That damage.

My Titan gathers dust now I don't do the PoE, she comes out to play for a nightfall each week and that's it

For IB I'm just going to do it on one character to get XP for upgrading

J0dy77

Anyone know why they removed the legendary edition of taken king from PSN? I was going to take the plunge so I could start playing early with the original game but they only have the collector's edition available now. I wonder if they'll bring it back.

lt519

Updated Skolas School list:

Skolas School:
1. SheHateMe
2. Boombloxer
3. Sengar
5. KINGofCRA5H-
6. Nightzoor
7. Reluctant-hero
8. matmanx1
9. DeviantBoi
10. Dark1421
11. juanbumo
12. Samphire
13. DaveS78

Just remember this isn't a carry, I'm here to show you the ropes and understand the mechanics, this is one fight someone can't win on their own due to the mechanics of the devouring essence. Judging from the length of last nights runs will end up around 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

So here's a video of the end of the kill last night, it shows some good things about the mine stages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcp8XYvH3e0

Few things to point out, 2:32 a melee captain shows up, just jump and fire rockets into him. Save supers for mine sections and if you don't have your supers communicate that to the team so we can wait for them to fill before DPS Skolas (mines trigger at like 40% and 20% ish). At 4:21 we used a trick, a sunsiger died by mine location C, he stayed dead until the mine popped then revived and dismantled it. The reason in the first place we had him stay there is because he was immune from taking the essence so his job was to cover Mine C while we ran around, got A and B, passing the essence, and then heading back to the Thunder in time to pass the essence a third time. Him dying happened to be OK because he was a sunsiger. Becuase we used this strategy he was not there to take the essence from me, killing me after 30 seconds. This is OK because it takes long enough for another guardian to be tainted that Segran could rotatate to Thunder to have him take the essence. They then had to revive me before Thunder was killed by the essence since Segran was now immune. The rest is just beating up on Skolas.

The preferred side for the fight is on the left of the stage and you rotate right when Skolas gets to close, rotating to the other side is just a temporary stop to clear adds and get Skolas away from the left side. As soon as possible swing back to the left side and DPS him from there. We usually pass the essence before rotating just to be safe.

If none of that makes sense we'll explain it when we get there :) I wish I had the full video, I'm going to try and stream this weekend.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Even with 2.0, I really doubt the low impact auto rifles will be useful. It's like spraying a water hose at enemies.

Totally agree, the only thing I hang on is that comment about the sandbox team "loving bullet hoses" with the new balancing. We shall see.

noomi

Before HoW, I had a combination of about 2000 Shards and Energies across the board. I have converted so many to motes and glimmer (in desperate need of Weapons Parts of which I had over 1400 of) that I now have simply 100 Ass Shards and that's it.

It's not all bad though, I have reforged a perfect version of the Matador 64, Hopscotch, Ill Will, Fulcrum, BTRD etc.

But now I have 9 weapon parts. Barely any motes, but I guess I go have 96 Exotic Shards.

I hope Exotic Shards turn into something...

I am now going to try and play both VoG and TDB again weekly to get all of the Ass and Radiant I need to get everything back through buying the ToO weapon and dismantling until I have AT LEAST 700 weapon parts.

--

I'm about to do that math.

Oh man same here. I feel the worst about weapons parts though.

Went from about 2000 shards/energies down to around 1300, from around 650 motes down to 100, and 2500 weapon parts to 1100 :(

geordiemp

As mentioned in the recently locked thread, there is a set of (old) videos which do a great job of outlining Destiny's simple story plot... which is made not so simple by the game itself due to shitty presentation and intermixing of side stories.

The main story missions

After watching that video, the main story made SO MUCH MORE SENSE. And actually comes off as pretty decent to boot. The game fails to present contextual importance to the events as they happen... something that could have been easily remedied by a few more cutscenes at key moments.

The Rasputin side story

During my initial playthrough of the game, I was confused as hell because I couldn't grasp exactly what Rasputin was, and I was convinced he was the primary antagonist in the game... when really this was just a side story the entire time and completely separate from the main plot. Edit: It apparently doesn't have a satisfying conclusion? Can anyone here clarify actually?

Crota, Oryx & The Hive

I haven't watched this one yet... about to. Edit: Not bad. This has become Destiny's current main plot due to taking out Crota in DLC1, and facing Oryx in TTK.

Seriously, I suggest watching these videos if you haven't. They put things into context quite nicely.

Great stuff, I totally agree with the start of the video, most players hear the words go there and kill stuff and thats all we generally take in.

I had the same issue with Halo, and quite frankly did not care

But but there is no story....lol

purg3

slept with Malkin
Oh man same here. I feel the worst about weapons parts though.

Went from about 2000 shards/energies down to around 1300, from around 650 motes down to 100, and 2500 weapon parts to 1100 :(

Try starting a brand new class for the first time right now. I'm struggling to get enough Sapphire Wire to upgrade all the new gear I'm getting. After playing 3 Titans, I didn't realizing how many mats were needed to upgrade pre HoW gear. This is also after I converted most of my shards and energies to motes and glimmer for reforging.

Skolas School:
1. SheHateMe
2. Boombloxer
3. Sengar
5. KINGofCRA5H-
6. Nightzoor
7. Reluctant-hero
8. matmanx1
9. DeviantBoi
10. Dark1421
11. juanbumo
12. Samphire
13. DaveS78

Just remember this isn't a carry, I'm here to show you the ropes and understand the mechanics, this is one fight someone can't win on their own due to the mechanics of the devouring essence. Judging from the length of last nights runs will end up around 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

So here's a video of the end of the kill last night, it shows some good things about the mine stages:

Few things to point out, 2:32 a melee captain shows up, just jump and fire rockets into him. Save supers for mine sections and if you don't have your supers communicate that to the team so we can wait for them to fill before DPS Skolas (mines trigger at like 40% and 20% ish). At 4:21 we used a trick, a sunsiger died by mine location C, he stayed dead until the mine popped then revived and dismantled it. Becuase we used this strategy he was not there to take the essence from me, killing me after 30 seconds. This is OK because it takes long enough for another guardian to be tainted that Segran could rotatate to Thunder to have him take the essence. They then had to revive me before Thunder was killed by the essence since Segran was now immune. The rest is just beating up on Skolas.

The preferred side for the fight is on the left of the stage and you rotate right when Skolas gets to close, rotating to the other side is just a temporary stop to clear adds and get Skolas away from the left side. As soon as possible swing back to the left side and DPS him from there. We usually pass the essence before rotating just to be safe.

If none of that makes sense we'll explain it when we get there :) I wish I had the full video, I'm going to try and stream this weekend.

I'd definitely love to jump in on this at some point, but I don't think I'll be free to do so until maybe sometime next week. Is that still kosher?

Namikaze1

Since both Hawkian and DJ are out for a while, I'll be up for taking the reins on Newbie Raid school. I'm gonna do the DJ approach and tell you guys nothing on what to do. You'll have to figure it out on your own. I'll be available all day today for such a thing. For now, gonna do some Nightfalls.

Edit: I'll be available all week long, just know that I'm putting time aside this weekend for a flawless hard VoG run.

Send me a PM. Just for PS4. Sorry, Xbros. I usually raid around 6 PM Eastern.

Also, still looking for folks interested in doing a flawless VoG Hard attempt this weekend. Haven't heard from Drizzay yet. A time for it will be discussed once we have a full team.

Polling the PVP Pros (DoubleDutch, Unstable, Namoomi :)P), Ikk, Fig, Rub, Wicked, ZW, Drizz, Todd, Math, & Many Others): HDTV or Monitor?

I haven't gamed on a monitor since the Commodore 64 days, and I'm wondering what I'm missing . . .

Skolas School:
1. SheHateMe
2. Boombloxer
3. Sengar
5. KINGofCRA5H-
6. Nightzoor
7. Reluctant-hero
8. matmanx1
9. DeviantBoi
10. Dark1421
11. juanbumo
12. Samphire
13. DaveS78

Few things to point out, 2:32 a melee captain shows up, just jump and fire rockets into him. Save supers for mine sections and if you don't have your supers communicate that to the team so we can wait for them to fill before DPS Skolas (mines trigger at like 40% and 20% ish). At 4:21 we used a trick, a sunsiger died by mine location C, he stayed dead until the mine popped then revived and dismantled it. Becuase we used this strategy he was not there to take the essence from me, killing me after 30 seconds. This is OK because it takes long enough for another guardian to be tainted that Segran could rotatate to Thunder to have him take the essence. They then had to revive me before Thunder was killed by the essence since Segran was now immune. The rest is just beating up on Skolas.

Please remove me from the list, I just completed my first PoE35 thanks to Drizz & Bombastico!

That was awesome guys, thank you!

An Elder Cipher dropped for me as well. Which the best weapon between the Queenbreaker's Bow and Lord of Wolves?

Great stuff, I totally agree with the start of the video, most players hear the words go there and kill stuff and thats all we generally take in.

What was that quest in the Barren's?

Mankrik's wife?

All day long you would see posts in Barrens chat:

"Where is Mankrik's wife?"
"Anyone know where Mankrik is?"

Despite the fact that the actual quest text was specific enough to find her. But people don't care about the details, just the objective itself.

ori0n378e

Skolas School:
1. SheHateMe
2. Boombloxer
3. Sengar
5. KINGofCRA5H-
6. Nightzoor
7. Reluctant-hero
8. matmanx1
9. DeviantBoi
10. Dark1421
11. juanbumo
12. Samphire
13. DaveS78

Can this be done as a lvl 33?

nOoblet16

Polling the PVP Pros (DoubleDutch, Unstable, Namoomi :)P), Ikk, Fig, Rub, Wicked, ZW, Drizz, Todd, Math, & Many Others): HDTV or Monitor?

I haven't gamed on a monitor since the Commodore 64 days, and I'm wondering what I'm missing . . .

Most would say monitor because:

1) Lower input lag
2) You sit closer to screen

But I personally would say it makes very little difference in this game so long as you can manage an HDTV that has <30ms of lag. That is when imo it because a matter of personal preference as it would have close to no effect on input latency since for a 30FPS game like destiny 1 frame lasts for 33.33 miliseconds on screen, if you have a display lag less than that you won't really notice it because it's less than a frame.

Other things to keep in mind:
1) Regardless of where you play you have to deal with some 120ms of input lag induced through your controller, that's just console gaming for you (60FPS games have lower input lag but they still do...the lowest input lag induced by a controller on a console is 50ms, it can never go lower than that)
2) Most of HDTVs latency comes from the post processing functions they have but if you use "Game mode" it turns off all of it.
3) You'll probably have to invest in a good comfy chair if you want to game on a PC monitor as most average computer chairs can't really rival comfy couch :p

Z3M0G

OMG this Reddit thread from today talking about TTK leaks:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheG...oilerdiscussionbig_things_are_coming_for_the/

HUGE TTK spoilers if you believe it....

...They had me until:

Activision and free. Does not compute.

I guess they could try to go with a free content plus microtransactions model like GTA though.

I did post yesterday that I thought Bungie would be outsourcing the mid year DLC in year 2 and beyond to that other studio they brought in.

I totally believe it. Just think about it...

Destiny was designed with the "buy to play (B2P)" MMO payment model.... the game would be funded by initial release, and Expansion Packs only. This clearly isn't going to work out for them... people are steering clear of their DLCs... except for those of us who got the Guardian edition and payed for DLC1/2 on day 1. They likely didn't see much new money come in after that... TTK pre-orders would show them how much trouble they are in too... if pre-orders are low, this plan completely failed.

I never wanted it to happen... but Destiny may now need to fall back onto microtransactions to sustain itself... and they will likely be disgusting. I could imagine things like items that boost drop rates for a limited time... cringe Ships and Shaders that were once always free drops... etc.

But but there is no story....lol

Yup... there certainly is a story... but I don't blame anyone for not noticing... I certainly didn't. The delivery was TERRIBLE.

I'm actually upset now that I understand things a bit better, and realize that the story is becoming more about the Side Stories (Crota/Oryx), than the main plot of the base game (taking out The Darkness and protecting the Traveler). Sadly, we may not see a return to this plot until Destiny 2, since I don't feel they should touch it with DLC content. "Comet 1" would have been a good time, but instead we are getting the Oryx plot.

Shito

But I personally would say it makes very little difference in this game so long as you can manage an HDTV that has <30ms of lag. That is when imo it because a matter of personal preference as it would have close to no effect on input latency since for a 30FPS game like destiny 1 frame lasts for 33.33 seconds on screen, if you have a display lag less than that you won't really notice it because it's less than a frame.
Might want to edit that typo. :3

E92 M3

Try starting a brand new class for the first time right now. I'm struggling to get enough Sapphire Wire to upgrade all the new gear I'm getting. After playing 3 Titans, I didn't realizing how many mats were needed to upgrade pre HoW gear. This is also after I converted most of my shards and energies to motes and glimmer for reforging.

Trials armor gives good amount of armor pieces for the price, but yeah old stuff taking 25 pieces is ridiculous. Not looking forward to it when starting my Titan soon.

Top Bottom