• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT26| Like a Hat

LiK

Polling the PVP Pros (DoubleDutch, Unstable, Namoomi :)P), Ikk, Fig, Rub, Wicked, ZW, Drizz, Todd, Math, & Many Others): HDTV or Monitor?

I haven't gamed on a monitor since the Commodore 64 days, and I'm wondering what I'm missing . . .

Monitor is preferred but game mode with a HDTV that has good latency is perfectly fine. I game on a 60" HDTV.

Most would say monitor because:

Monitor for lower input lag

Pfft... you guys are crazy. HDTV all the way.

This is my baby:

http://www.110220volts.com/LC-52D83M.html?gclid=CLufopT8_cYCFQ4paQodg0gK0g

EiwSBEo.jpg

Granted, I've had this TV for almost 10 years...

Wynnebeck

Banned
Oh look at that. Do Nightfall and my fireteam members get a MIDA-Multitool and Symbiote. Me? Legendary Engram. I hate this stupid ass game sometimes.

lt519

Can this be done as a lvl 33?

Unfortunately you won't be able to survive and all three members need to stay alive for the Skolas fight. The density of enemies is just astronomical and moving around and through them is required for some of the fight.

Please remove me from the list, I just completed my first PoE35 thanks to Drizz & Bombastico!

That was awesome guys, thank you!

An Elder Cipher dropped for me as well. Which the best weapon between the Queenbreaker's Bow and Lord of Wolves?

So awesome!!! I love the Lord of Wolves to be honest, it's a face melting shotgun that is getting buffed in TTK. Thanks Drizz and Bomb for taking someone off the list (intentionally or not)!

Deku Tree

Polling the PVP Pros (DoubleDutch, Unstable, Namoomi :)P), Ikk, Fig, Rub, Wicked, ZW, Drizz, Todd, Math, & Many Others): HDTV or Monitor?

I haven't gamed on a monitor since the Commodore 64 days, and I'm wondering what I'm missing . . .

Destiny is 30fps so buying a fast refresh rate gaming monitor is going to help but it is not going to be huge. Not all HDTVs are the same, and yours could be fine.

The ideal gaming monitor is 24" because that is the perfect size for 1080p and also because you can look at the whole thing without moving your eyeballs too much.

A big benefit of the 24" screen is that your own response time is faster because you can see everything quicker because your looking at a smaller screen and you can see the whole thing without moving your slow eyeballs around.

I totally believe it. Just think about it...

Destiny was designed with the "buy to play (B2P)" MMO payment model.... the game would be funded by initial release, and Expansion Packs only. This clearly isn't going to work out for them... people are steering clear of their DLCs... except for those of us who got the Guardian edition and payed for DLC1/2 on day 1. They likely didn't see much new money come in after that... TTK pre-orders would show them how much trouble they are in too... if pre-orders are low, this plan completely failed.

I never wanted it to happen... but Destiny may now need to fall back onto microtransactions to sustain itself... and they will likely be disgusting. I could imagine things like items that boost drop rates for a limited time... cringe Ships and Shaders that were once always free drops... etc.

Yup... there certainly is a story... but I don't blame anyone for not noticing... I certainly didn't. The delivery was TERRIBLE.

I'm actually upset now that I understand things a bit better, and realize that the story is becoming more about the Side Stories (Crota/Oryx), than the main plot of the base game (taking out The Darkness and protecting the Traveler). Sadly, we may not see a return to this plot until Destiny 2, since I don't feel they should touch it with DLC content. "Comet 1" would have been a good time, but instead we are getting the Oryx plot.

I think the sales of Destiny have been phenomenal. The issue is could they make a lot more money with free DLC plus micro transactions? And unfortunately the overwhelming consensus appears to be that a small percentage of "whale customers" who buy a lot micro transaction junk will make you a lot more money than making everyone pay for the DLC. If I'm not mistaken, GTA Online gives you all the content "for free" with the base game but lets you buy with real money things like in game currency and cosmetic stuff. (I've never played GTA online.)

MrDaravon

Rank 2 or higher. Any alt below that character will get another buff.

Awesome, thanks! Definitely gonna grind this IB out, if I can do it on all of my characters that'll get me 6 lights which IIRC will let me hit 34 on two characters (3 pieces at one light each, unless I'm misunderstanding that process). Want to try to get the Triumph before TTK.

ori0n378e

Unfortunately you won't be able to survive and all three members need to stay alive for the Skolas fight. The density of enemies is just astronomical and moving around and through them is required for some of the fight.
Thanks for the info. Will get to 34...

lt519

Thanks for the info. Will get to 34...

Yeah, I'd be OK with someone not having enough firepower, but being at 33 is just a recipe for you getting killed really fast and the rest having to play catch up the entire fight. It could be done, don't let me discourage you from trying, but I'm going to get some of the other 34s through first this weekend.

Homeboyd

Where can I see my progression on the Salvage achievement considering I have 2 deleted characters that may have capped some points? I know I can check my current caps via the crucible stats on b.net and I looked at destinytracker, but Im not sure if it includes deleted characters.

GhaleonEB

I think the sales of Destiny have been phenomenal. The issue is could they make a lot more money with free DLC plus micro transactions? And unfortunately the overwhelming consensus appears to be that a small percentage of "whale customers" who buy a lot micro transaction junk will make you a lot more money than making everyone pay for the DLC. If I'm not mistaken, GTA Online gives you all the content "for free" with the base game but lets you buy with real money things like in game currency and cosmetic stuff. (I've never played GTA online.)

There's a lot of context missing from that Reddit post.

###

Starting up a NF, just running one before work. Send halp.

Pretty sure we both use an HDTV, I do have a Bravia with reportedly quite low input lag though.

That being said, don't change whatever you're playing on just for this game. Not worth it.

hydruxo

Destiny 2 having a focus on Mercury, Osiris & the Ahamkara could be fantastic (if it ends up being true) if they can finally nail down the story. Lots of great lore there to pull from.

nOoblet16

Destiny is 30fps so buying a fast refresh rate gaming monitor is going to help but it is not going to be huge. Not all HDTVs are the same, and yours could be fine.

The ideal gaming monitor is 24" because that is the perfect size for 1080p and also because you can look at the whole thing without moving your eyeballs too much.

A big benefit of the 24" screen is that your own response time is faster because you can see everything quicker because your looking at a smaller screen and you can see the whole thing without moving your slow eyeballs around.

The bolded is an important point to note and something that most people notice i.e. they notice that their reactions are faster but instead of attributing it to the fact that I bolded, they attribute it to the lower latency of monitor which is incorrect.

void666

Banned
Gaaah... I need to go home. And do nightfalls. And play iron banner.
Yesterday i was actually having fun with crucible. Tried using blink+shotgun for the first time and it kind of worked well.

Noomi a PVP pro? LOL LOL LOL!

Love ya Noomi!

PS: 106" is the only way to game.

PJ%252520Screen.jpg

noomi

Try starting a brand new class for the first time right now. I'm struggling to get enough Sapphire Wire to upgrade all the new gear I'm getting. After playing 3 Titans, I didn't realizing how many mats were needed to upgrade pre HoW gear. This is also after I converted most of my shards and energies to motes and glimmer for reforging.

Ahhh yes, I feel your pain.

I ran 3 hunters since launch, and just in the last month made my first titan. I'm still hurting for plasteel plating, I have over 5000 saphire wire lol

Monitor for lower input lag

Monitor is preferred but game mode with a HDTV that has good latency is perfectly fine. I game on a 60" HDTV.

The bolded is an important point to note and something that most people notice i.e. they notice that their reactions are faster but instead of attributing it to the fact that I bolded, they attribute it to the lower latency of monitor which is incorrect.

I stand 100% behind having a gaming monitor, has made pvp so much better for me it's not even fair lol. It's all about that input lag, my monitor has a 1ms input lag delay... most HDTV's have 30ms+ which for me is absolutely unbearable.

Most HDTV's have a gaming mode you can enable to reduce input lag, but it still makes it difficult. I have a great Samsung LED TV, but my ps4 hated it.

Hey noomi, how'd your controller lag experiments work out?

Heya, so I unplugged the USB for the wireless headset and it really did seem to help, but I still got some minor lag. Nothing like it was before though, will try to rebuild database today and keep my phone out of the office and see how it works out :D

Noomi a PVP pro? LOL LOL LOL!

Love ya Noomi!

Awwww shucks!

GTA Online works a little different than you described. Everything (weapons, vehicles, cosmetics, housing, etc) is open to everyone, and is purchasable only in GTA dollars, primarily earned ingame by doing "jobs". The only real money transaction available is the ability to buy large amounts of GTA dollars via "shark cards", shortcutting the time it would take you to save up GTA dollars by playing the game.

It is a pretty good system. I've bought tens of millions of dollars of goods, and have never needed to spend a real cent on shark cards.

Overall I'm happy with destiny's system too. I'd much rather pay a one time dlc cost up front, and have everything available, than deal with microtransactions. Even if I didn't partake in the microtransactions, I would hate having to see all the advertisements and ui that inevitably follow the cash shops.

I'm interested to see how much of a nerf Hawkmoon gets after the next update. The gun already had its distance castrated after the first one and now it's looking like it'll drop off even more.

Lnkn52

Ahhh yes, I feel your pain.

I ran 3 hunters since launch, and just in the last month made my first titan. I'm still hurting for plasteel plating, I have over 5000 saphire wire lol

I stand 100% behind having a gaming monitor has made pvp so much better for me it's not even fair lol

Plus the older I get and my vision deteriorates, I need a monitor to sit up very close to it.

Deku Tree

GTA Online works a little different than you described. Everything (weapons, vehicles, cosmetics, housing, etc) is open to everyone, and is purchasable only in GTA dollars, primarily earned ingame by doing "jobs". The only real money transaction available is the ability to buy large amounts of GTA dollars via "shark cards", shortcutting the time it would take you to save up GTA dollars by playing the game.

It is a pretty good system. I've bought tens of millions of dollars of goods, and have never needed to spend a real cent on shark cards.

Overall I'm happy with destiny's system too. I'd much rather pay a one time dlc cost up front, and have everything available, than deal with microtransactions. Even if I didn't partake in the microtransactions, I would hate having to see all the advertisements and ui that inevitably follow the cash shops.

You can also play the GTA Heists (like Destiny Raids) without paying for them right? So the additional DLC content is "Free" with the possibility of spending money on micro transactions.

Top Bottom